Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The further dumbing down of Star Wars: The Old Republic: Abusing Travelers, Treating customers like

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by SoulStain

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by SoulStain Sure the loadscreens suck but priority travel is just another legacy perk like all others. Buy it with cartel coins or credits. Don't see the problem. At least not a new one the doesn't smell of a beaten dead equine.  
    "Buy it with cartel coins or credits" That is the problem. If you had said "Buy it with cartel coins or credits or play the game (and do a certain quest which rewards you with it)" Then there would be no problem. It would give the game more content, and be rewarding. After getting the ITV in SWG for the very first time by collecting the parts at various spaceports was awesome.  It was a simple task, but seriously boosted my motivation for playing the game post NGE.
    They're just using the legacy system as it was introduced. Sure..i guess a little quest would be cool but I dont have any problem with it as stands. They could drop the credit costs a bit tho imo.
    You gain credits by playing the game so his gripe still makes no sense. 
    Which is just a waste of credits, and grinding game just to get credits is boring. I would rather play the game / do a quest, and be rewarded the perk, than grind credits and waste them on it. The whole setup is done so you give and up and pay real money

wasting your time doing a quest to be rewarded with a perk is not much different that doing quests to get credits to purchase a perk.

that is a part of every mmo, getting the currency to buy the stuff that you need or want.

if that is boring to you then mmo's in general must bore you.

i cant think of an mmo i have ever played that didn't require grinding for currency or items, if you wanted them that is.

this game has an item shop, they sell stuff on the item shop to make money.

its not a big deal, except for people that relentlessly trash a game they don't like or play for whatever reason i guess?

I suppose it is no different than unlocking more inventory space with credits, but it is the cartel market option that irks me, especially for subbers, but I suppose it is the players choice.

Although, if it had a new quest then it would be something different to do, but at level 50 there is not much to do, unlike SWG, for people who only want to play story based quests, and you can not replay any, except by creating another charcter and going through them all again, which gets too much. In STO you can replay any of the missions in which ever order you like, and the rewards scale to your level, and you can always get max xp for your level, whereas in SWTOR (and other MMOs) if you are well over the level for the quest you get little to no xp. The only way I see for making credits is by levelling another charcter and getting credits from the missions / loot, and then giving it to mains, which gets boring doing ALL quests over and over. If you could choose which quests to redo then it would make things more enjoyable, as you are not doing a tonne of quests you don't want to keep doing. For starters I would redo the Jedi Knight mission where he got his ligtsabre. I would play SWTOR more so if this was possible.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

so they create an inconvenience based on incompetency and then charges ppl to overcome them.  EA at their best.

this is pretty much /thread right here.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

From a business point of view, this is genius.  They take a bad design feature/decision and are making money off of it.

And instead of demanding that they spend all this extra cartel money to improve the game, players are...grateful...that they can have the privilege of paying (is it on a per character basis?) to legally teleport.

Maybe they can add an animation where your character walks up the steps into the spaceship, and charge you the privilege to skip that animation?

Money bags should just go ahead and say it "I am a money bag.  I am a money bag."

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

You mean like all of the other Legacy unlocks?...I'm sure you could pick up many of them and find reasons why it's offensive to you and suits your view of how shite the game is.

While I don't play anymore I really do hope you find something you like.  I mean that genuinely, as you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trashing SWTOR.

Your like the mirror image Aerowyn/GW2 on here ;)

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Omnifish

You mean like all of the other Legacy unlocks?...I'm sure you could pick up many of them and find reasons why it's offensive to you and suits your view of how shite the game is.

While I don't play anymore I really do hope you find something you like.  I mean that genuinely, as you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trashing SWTOR.

Your like the mirror image Aerowyn/GW2 on here ;)

I suppose everyone has passions or hobby's in life.  Some people like stamps.  I like Star Wars.

Maybe this thread exposes the other teleport schemes and gets people thinking.  The initial reaction might be to say, Well there are other teleports so who cares.   but then thoughts (may) creep in, and the realization might turn to the idea that EA never intends to fix the game archetecture, but would rather confine SWTOR to a med station for constant bandaids and transfusions.

You could argue, well it's just one more transport, who cares.  Well it's this transport and the next and the next, AND the next.  Think about that.  The next "expansion" still will use the old technology, why didn't EA create new technology and advertise that?  EverQuest did that with their expansions, using new engines [old engines for old zones, but when you load into new places, a new engine was loaded].

To the trashing comment, EA needs a whole lot more trashing before they realize what they are doing to SWTOR and Star Wars in general.  Polite posts are moved into the graveyard on their forums (various locations, usually Customer Service, where nobody reads).  Honest posts get deleted.

I can feel it with player population, it's decreasing again.  EA's fix is to ignore the problem.  EA needs more direction.  They are failing, again.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Bioware admit that there is known issue with global unlocks and encourage not to purchase them until the issue is resolved.

We are currently experiencing issues with the Convenience Global Unlock, Improved Priority Transport: Personal Starship . Players are advised against purchasing any of these unlocks until a resolution is found. Thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience. The Known Issue is as follows:

Improved Priority Transport: Personal Starship will disappear if a player logs out of the character who made the purchase from Global Unlocks > Other > Convenience and then logs in with another character.

In character perks you pick the Personal Ship unlock  in Travel Bar, other options are Capitol Planet, Black Hole, etc Cooldown is 24 h.

Then in global unlocks you pick improvements. You can unlock I and II at Legacy level 30 and 40. The final one reduces cooldown to 1 h and costs whooping 40,000 credits. Requires Legacy level 50 - lucky me :)

imageimageimage

I just got a character perks... finally something good came from this forum, as I completely missed that there are also global unlocks and did not get them. I will wait until they fix it. No big deal.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Bioware admit that there is known issue with global unlocks and encourage not to purchase them until the issue is resolved.

We are currently experiencing issues with the Convenience Global Unlock, Improved Priority Transport: Personal Starship . Players are advised against purchasing any of these unlocks until a resolution is found. Thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience. The Known Issue is as follows:

Improved Priority Transport: Personal Starship will disappear if a player logs out of the character who made the purchase from Global Unlocks > Other > Convenience and then logs in with another character.

In character perks you pick the Personal Ship unlock  in Travel Bar, other options are Capitol Planet, Black Hole, etc Cooldown is 24 h.

Then in global unlocks you pick improvements. You can unlock I and II at Legacy level 30 and 40. The final one reduces cooldown to 1 h and costs whooping 40,000 credits. Requires Legacy level 50 - lucky me :)

I just got a character perks... finally something good came from this forum, as I completely missed that there are also global unlocks and did not get them. I will wait until they fix it. No big deal.

Can you provide the details for level 2?

Level 1 is 1 character only (your first screenshot) .. level 3 is global (2nd screenshot) .. what is level 2?

I don't have the requirements, and I'm not paying money to unlock this .. What are the details for level 2?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Character Perk unlocks ability. It has cooldown 24 h.

Then you have 3 levels in global unlocks: level 1 -  legacy 30, 10k reduces cooldown to 16 hours, level 2 - legacy 40, 20k - 8 h and level 3 - legacy 50, 40k reduces cooldown to 1 h. So you have to spend 50k for character perk and 70k for all 3 unlocks.

Posted screenshots of all unlocks

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Thanks for the clarification.

Still seems awkward.

Life was easier with summons and portals before WoW became a corridor.

(Personal Opinion)

• NifaNifa Member Posts: 324
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

To the people defending SWTOR on this one, don't kid yourselves on it. Instancing might be a very very conveinant means for a developer to apply content, but excessive use of it breaks immersion. 

A planet, is pretty much a zone in terms of scale when compared to other MMO's. So, why in other games can I go between many many zones without any interruptions when compared to SWTOR moving planet to planet has has so many unneccesary interruptions. They don't even do anything from an RP persepective either, they do not add anything to the game its only to mask a very lazy approach to how they've linked it all together. 

So it would be reasonable to be insulted by the notion that because they know its frustrating to go through all that transition time that the solution is to capitalise on it. Pretty much the community is saying 'this isn't very fun and immersive' and they turn around and say 'we will fix that for you. But at a price'. 

They say in their videos that they listen to community feed back, but I honest to god feel like the only things they are looking out for is the stuff people say are problems then charging for fixes around them. I literally feel like they wish to treat me as a cow whose udders they aggressively milk. 

For me, I have a good PC so the load times aren't a great deal, more to do with a pain in the ass and boring to go through so much hassle to move about the place. However if you don't have a top range pc and you are playing on the lowest settings and the load times are taking you 5 mins each time then it can really feel like you are being pressured by the developers to buy into these tools in order to get any sort of consistant enjoyment.

I agree with your point Re: the (I feel) unnecessary loads between zones, however, I disagree that they're useless from an RP perspective.

RP-wise, if you're traveling from, say, Coruscant to Tatooine, that's not an instantaneous trip, even with hyperdrive and hyperspace lanes. You're going from the Core to the Outer Rime, and that takes some time. From an RP standpoint, use the load screens to demonstrate that, hey, I couldn't just instantly get there and maybe the comm doesn't always act right in certain parts of space. Plenty of lore-related demonstrations of leaving a comm message, so that argument doesn't hold water--and I say this as an RPer.

Now, as a player who sometimes has to make a choice where my money goes, the idea of paying for basic functionality doesn't appeal to me. The idea of F2P hybrid doesn't say "buy basic functionality in our cash shop" and it's a real turn off to me even when I'm a subscriber, to be perfectly honest.

EA could have looked at what LoTRO did and made it possible to earn coins through gameplay--they did not. They could have gone the TSW route and made it B2P, where even non-subscribers have full access and functionality to all basic gameplay features (including support...seriously, who does that?!), with additional content, cosmetic features, and buffs available in the cash shop. Instead, to me as someone who subscribed for 13 months, had two accounts (one CE and one DDE) and recently canceled and refuses to resub even when I can do so, what EA has chosen to do, due to the management (not necessarily the devs, because I honestly do not think the developers have had much choice in this) and executives' piss-poor decisions, is made this look like a massive cash grab.

I actually enjoy many things in SWTOR. But the EA executives' mishandling and mismanagment, then doubling down on some of the worst decisions I have seen since Sony, has made me decide that no, SWTOR won't get another penny unless EA changes the way they're doing business and treating customers.

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

• KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59
    you can purchase this prior. transport to ship for 50.000 credits - almost nothing. Also,you have a ship if you want to travel,if you wanna travel fast-then buy the perk.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kreeture
    you can purchase this prior. transport to ship for 50.000 credits - almost nothing. Also,you have a ship if you want to travel,if you wanna travel fast-then buy the perk.

Of course you can but the problem still is that changing zone in TOR give you more loading screens than any other MMO and they just put a bandaid on a amputed leg here...

They really should make a revamp to faster and easier zone once you been to a planet before. Loading screens does not make a game more fun and it is a simple fix.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i just realised how much i enjoy the long and wonderful, loading screens.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Psychow
    If the game is so bad and the company is so evil, why are you playing it?

i think the game is not bad. Its just in the wrong hands.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I keep reading things about how not having fast travel breaks immersion. That is funny, I would thing NOT having fast travel would HELP immersion. I mean it isn't like every person is going to whistle into their wrist communicator and have thier starship home in on them and find them.

I understand where not being able to set down "just anywhere" on a planet might break immersion, but many times on any civilized planet you HAD to go through port. I would think that HAVING to run back the hour to your ship would increase the realistic aspect of any game.

Sounds to me that people want immersion, but not real immersion, only the kind of immersion that includes a scene fade out after then characters say something important.

I have no problem with loading times. I have no problems with instances on my comp.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier

Well there is immersive and then there's IMMERSIVE. http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/national/ltp/games/moonbasealpha/index.html

Sometimes a game should be a game.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Speaking of same ole, they seem to have made some friends with the new repair rates for gear.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=598208

Good Job BW. Treating SWTOR customers like crap since 2011

I especially like the post where the guy says he and 75 others have decided to unsub due to raiding being too costly now. Additionally the new costs have resulted in F2P players being automatically kicked from FPs and raids because newbs can cost a guild millions of credits from wipes.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Speaking of same ole, they seem to have made some friends with the new repair rates for gear.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=598208

Good Job BW. Treating SWTOR customers like crap since 2011

I especially like the post where the guy says he and 75 others have decided to unsub due to raiding being too costly now. Additionally the new costs have resulted in F2P players being automatically kicked from FPs and raids because newbs can cost a guild millions of credits from wipes.

I have a feeling that the "unscheduled" maintenance patch that is happening today will be to rectify that. Still don't understand why they did it. Repair costs were fine the way they were. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DaedalEVEDaedalEVE Member Posts: 39

Will a mod please close this thread? It's clearly a tolling thread.

I built my Desktop in 2009, and aside from upgrading the graphics card I am still able to run every game that has ever come out for PC on max settings (at 1920x1200). So I can tell you right now that if the OP is having an issue with the SWTOR's game engine it's an issue with his hardware, not the game. Additionally I run the game from an SSD drive and load almost instantly, so again if he is having loading issues it is an issue with his hardware. 

It's clear that this thread is simply an effort to bash the game due to one persons personal issues with it. They should be taking up their concerns with the developer, not complaining about it here.

Originally posted by DaedalEVE

I built my Desktop in 2009, and aside from upgrading the graphics card I am still able to run every game that has ever come out for PC on max settings (at 1920x1200). So I can tell you right now that if the OP is having an issue with the SWTOR's game engine it's an issue with his hardware, not the game. Additionally I run the game from an SSD drive and load almost instantly, so again if he is having loading issues it is an issue with his hardware. 

It's clear that this thread is simply an effort to bash the game due to one persons personal issues with it. They should be taking up their concerns with the developer, not complaining about it here.

Who's trolling who?

The OP is commenting on how Bioware has released a new game mechanic to bypass the covoluted travelling system which entails several loading screens; but that new mechanic is only obtainable by either with a sub via money sink/tie sink (Legacy level 50) or by a real money micro-transaction. He's not talking about load times per se.

I'm glad you have a rig that can run PC games. If you think that's it's standard that a MMO requires a $100-$300 SSD drive in order to run without problems, you certainly think differently then most.

I assure you, an SSD drive is not listed in SWTOR's minimum or suggested specs. I assure you that when they began designing the game in 2005, they weren't intending to sell it only to people with SSD drives. (Or 64 bit systems for that matter, or people with 16 gigs of VRAM, etc.)

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I don't really have much to say about SWTOR till now.

How desperate can a company be that they even want to charge you for loading time, lol?

Stop supporting bad behaviour from devs cos then other devs will follow suit.

Fk you guys who support all this bad devs.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I fail to see how this is a troll thread, as all people stated is that EA charge for everything and anything and tries to squeeze every inch of the game for money (which is fact - not even EA is denying that).

Just because you like a game doesn't mean other people's opinions and views don't matter and they should be shut up by you.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

He's the troll, but you're going to pretend that you don't know what a performance edge a SSD offers over an IDE HD? And you're trying to use the mods to do your dirty work for you because you think they can't see through you trying to use them for your blatant bullying? You're not that clever.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by huskie77
    Originally posted by huskie77
    The OP has complained in other EA, SWTOR and Hero engine threads about the "terrible" graphics engine and it's performance issues. I think it might be a compatibility issue for him/her as I have never experienced any such issue

That was enough cause for a response.

I fail to see how, as all of that is relative to understanding your motivation, and not ad hominem. Once again, I apologize if you felt that the above was an attack on you. I won't be responding to you any further in this thread as it seems you are arbitrarily taking issue and looking for a fight. I hope the new changes in the game actually work out to your benefit rather than cause you grief. Good luck to you!

OK!

1) EA is charging for basic game play features, again. 

1a) Fast teleportbetween planets will benefit all players.

1b) Payments are required for teleport,

1c) Subcribers lose out on perks, because players can pay some more to out-do them.

1d ) Freemiums lose doubly.  They won't invest money because SWTOR is a Freemium / P2W system.

1e ) EA adjusts TORSTATUS figures to reflect positivity. :-)

I think I covered it all.  My motivation?  I play the game.  Enjoy my points.

Quick question because I haven't played in months.  First, did I misread this, or is this part of the legacy system?  Is the legacy system only available to those who sub and only unlockable through the CS for those that don't sub?  Or is the legacy system available to everyone?  If the legacy system isn't available to everyone, then this is incredibly problematic, if it is available to everyone (thus making this available without paying) then this isn't as big of a deal.  If the absolutely only way you can do this is through the CS, then that does suck.

I really don't understand why so much complaining about this feature. Every MMO has something like this. Nobody complains about it.

On beginning of SWTOR you had only 2 means of fast traveing. Quick travel... and Fleet Pass.

In Legacy you have improvements to this features... global unlocks - reducing the cooldowns.

Some time later they introduced in Legacy  few other options of fast travel to: Capitol planet, Black Hole, Outcast Den on Tatooine.

Now they introduced  in legacy additional option: Travel to Personal Starship. It is in the same place as other fast travel options.

What's a big deal? It's great thing to have and it encourages to grind Legacy as the final improvement in reducing cooldown in global unlocks are available for legacy 50.  Unlocks are also pretty cheap and you can get them for credits as well as CC. But 40k for final unlock is a ridiculous low price.

In EQ2 you could fast travel to many places, including your house. nobody complained about breaking immersion.

This discussion has been closed.