Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

your giving him the money after all he done to warhammer online?

Comments

• rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by rimaxo14
    Four words " Dark age of Camelot" Greatest mmorpg ever

Shhh...don't keep trying to tie these two titles together, this new one will be quite different from the former and people who are expecting DAOC 2 will likely come away very disappointed.

Judge this new title for the vision Mark's bringing, read what he posts carefully, you'll see he's not trying to make a sequel, but a whole new idea.

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Shhh...don't keep trying to tie these two titles together, this new one will be quite different from the former and people who are expecting DAOC 2 will likely come away very disappointed.

Judge this new title for the vision Mark's bringing, read what he posts carefully, you'll see he's not trying to make a sequel, but a whole new idea.

The thing is, althought MJ clearly stated it isn't DAoC2, people have it stuck in their heads that it will be.  Same expectations from the old DAoC crowd went into Warhammer, as well as GW2 for their rendition of WvWvW that was supposedly going to mirror RvR.  Its not that they would have explicitly been DAoC2-ish, its that they had RvR and class elements that were better than nothing.  Warhammer failed and GW2's WvWvW system is a pale shadow DAoC's RvR.  The DAoC2 dream has been carried along for years, and people can't help but see CU as being its natural successor.

I suppose its the trailer for CU that leads people on as well.  The same 3 factions represented in DAoC are in CU, but they aren't called Mids, Hibbies or Albs.  Now its the Tuatha de Danann (Hibs), Vikings (Mids), and the Camelot (Albs) factions.  Add to that MJ is running the show. 

While I would love to see a DAoC2, I think Camelot Unchained is going to be the closest thing to it anyone who played the original DAoC will ever see.  Its sort of the last chance to do it, and do it right.  So, yes, there is hope and expectation from old players.  I think Mark needs to really think about that as well, because if he fails here there are going to be a lot of unforgiving people.

Myself?  I stopped being hyped a while ago.  Too many broken promises and too much disappointment in the last few years.  If this ends up being a great game I will check it out.  I am definitly keeping an eye on it, but I am neutral in expectation.

• ScillyScilly Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Telondariel

The thing is, althought MJ clearly stated it isn't DAoC2, people have it stuck in their heads that it will be.  Same expectations from the old DAoC crowd went into Warhammer, as well as GW2 for their rendition of WvWvW that was supposedly going to mirror RvR.  Its not that they would have explicitly been DAoC2-ish, its that they had RvR and class elements that were better than nothing.  Warhammer failed and GW2's WvWvW system is a pale shadow DAoC's RvR.  The DAoC2 dream has been carried along for years, and people can't help but see CU as being its natural successor.

I suppose its the trailer for CU that leads people on as well.  The same 3 factions represented in DAoC are in CU, but they aren't called Mids, Hibbies or Albs.  Now its the Tuatha de Danann (Hibs), Vikings (Mids), and the Camelot (Albs) factions.  Add to that MJ is running the show. 

While I would love to see a DAoC2, I think Camelot Unchained is going to be the closest thing to it anyone who played the original DAoC will ever see.  Its sort of the last chance to do it, and do it right.  So, yes, there is hope and expectation from old players.  I think Mark needs to really think about that as well, because if he fails here there are going to be a lot of unforgiving people.

Myself?  I stopped being hyped a while ago.  Too many broken promises and too much disappointment in the last few years.  If this ends up being a great game I will check it out.  I am definitly keeping an eye on it, but I am neutral in expectation.

IF GW2 had a wvw progression it really would of been the next daoc, even forgiving the small maps. but anet put all there eggs into a esport spvp market that bombed badly. People are craving a decent rvr game, there is nothing more modern than daoc and thats 10 years old. thats why this gets compared to daoc and vise versa

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by archeageking

i purchased warhammer online colelctor's edition day 1 and it sucked, How th ehell are you guys going to get duped into giving jacob more money to scam you with this game? havent you learned your lesson from warhammer online?

I would be shocked if he can get a successful kickstarter after warhammer online. Seriously did you want to let him scam the gamers even more?

As much as there were things I hated in Warhammer, there were things I loved.

I absolutely loved my swordmaster. Part of me wants to play it again just for that.

I liked the different builds one could make and the art design, though a bit cartoony, was nice, especially for lower level players as you didn't look like you were in rags.

It was of course a pure themepark game.

The battlegrounds were an absolute blast. They did take away from the overland pvp but I suppose players are going to gravitate to what is fun. The overland pvp devolved into looking for the enemy and then having brief pvp encounters. Battlegrounds allowed instant pvp action with definite goals.

one problem with the taking of keeps was that the whole idea centered around flipping keeps. I found this very distasteful. Especially coming from lineage 2 where one wanted to take AND KEEP a, er "keep".

It sounds like this will be rectified in this game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

i heard someone mention jacob is asking for 2 million from kickstarter in march, what im saying is dont trust mark jacob and his marketing hype.

Also i cant believe mark jacob has the balls to come into mmorpg industry and asking for 2 million kickstarter from mmorpg players after fiasco that is warhammer online. Im wary thats all there is to it.

Yes, because the only people to ever trust are those who never made a mistake.

I enjoy that you don't mention once anything about Dark Age of Camelot, which still has unrivaled large scale PvP.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

i purchased warhammer online colelctor's edition day 1 and it sucked, How th ehell are you guys going to get duped into giving jacob more money to scam you with this game? havent you learned your lesson from warhammer online?

I would be shocked if he can get a successful kickstarter after warhammer online. Seriously did you want to let him scam the gamers even more?

It's amazing how people put more emphesis on failures than they do successes. Yes, Trials of Atlantis may have ruined DAoC for many of us.  Warhammer Online may have not been what we were expecting, but I still believe it was a good game and had plenty of great things about it.

Dark Age of Camelot and Shrouded Isles were fantastic and right on the money. Why not put the focus on his successes than his failures? We all fail from time to time, Mr.Jacobs is no different. I'm willing to give him the chance, believe that he has learned from his mistakes and support his new Camlot project.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• TadderTadder Member Posts: 38

Will you ever buy another Bioware, EA, Trion, Blizzard (D3 sucked), Cryptic, Arenanet, or SOE game again? I see sub-par, under-delivered, "failures" in all of those studios. If not I guess all is left is indie games and TESO (unproven in MMOs if i'm right?) This argument is getting old.

But hey, you did get an official collector's edition minature if I am correct?

what makes me laugh is EA has pumped out so many failures yet MJ is getting ribbed here yet he is constantly reading, asking, listerning to us

if you bother to read you will understand

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I was severely disappointed with my Collector's Edition and the game of Warhammer too. BUT....I realise one person doesn't destroy a game, or make it fail. Imo, EA had a lot to do with the failure of Warhammer, heck look what they've done to Bioware too. 

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

always nice to see when kids rage.

you obviously have no idea how the system works, and neither what really happened.

the ideas they had have been really great, sometime in (very early) beta, they got a publisher tho, and he said

"you will do what i say because i know whats good!",

and since they wanted to release their game, they listened.

i wont go into detail now, but maybe check some infos next time before you start telling people what to spend their money on.

without a "publisher", eg via the kickstarter we enable him to create exactly the game he wants.

thx 4 the discussion tho. was interesting....

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Anyone that believes the lead designer has no say, little say or isnt in control is a delusional fanboy.

EA will only push for a game to be released EARLY because of the cost and needing a return on sales to boost earnings or if it is not meeting up to expectations after release and remove those that royally failed with their project (see SWTOR).

EA offices are ---> here

Game developers offices are ---> here. This is where the work is being done, far away from EA to see...and if they tried to develop it way up ^^^^^ there the game would never get made.

To the OP, hell no I wouldnt give him any money, not even before Warhammer thanks to the royal mess that was DaoC's crapfest RvR.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I played WAR for about a year, it was fun in my opinion.

That was longer than I have played a MMO since. It had great Battlegrounds and I liked the fact you could physically keep people out of keeps with a big line of tanks - no just walking past everyone.

Originally posted by jtcgs

Anyone that believes the lead designer has no say, little say or isnt in control is a delusional fanboy.

EA will only push for a game to be released EARLY because of the cost and needing a return on sales to boost earnings or if it is not meeting up to expectations after release and remove those that royally failed with their project (see SWTOR).

EA offices are ---> here

Game developers offices are ---> here. This is where the work is being done, far away from EA to see...and if they tried to develop it way up ^^^^^ there the game would never get made.

To the OP, hell no I wouldnt give him any money, not even before Warhammer thanks to the royal mess that was DaoC's crapfest RvR.

if you think daoc rvr is bad you obv insane, thanks for popping in, please dont pop back this game isnt for you <3

Originally posted by Scilly

EA offices are ---> here

if you think daoc rvr is bad you obv insane, thanks for popping in, please dont pop back this game isnt for you <3

Cleary you never PvP'ed pre-DaoC thus you are a carebear PvPer. DaoC with its /stick, CCs and zergs created an army of piss poor PvPers with little skill. BTW, really loved the contstant nerf hammers for a year that resulted in an enter realm to hold in game protests on over a dozen servers for 3 months until something was finally done for them. GREAT GAME DESIGN!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136

EA offices are ---> here

There are people that have formed their opinions based on experience & knowledge... this isnt the case here.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Cleary you never PvP'ed pre-DaoC thus you are a carebear PvPer. DaoC with its /stick, CCs and zergs created an army of piss poor PvPers with little skill.

Anyone that argues skill when refering to mmorpg pvp is a carebear pvp'er. Real skill based pvp happens in shooters and other games that don't have gear or lame dice rolling mechanincs. All mmo pvp has created a bunch of piss poor pvp'ers that think they know what skill really is.

Making blanket statments that requier people to stand in the tiny little box you create is fun !

Originally posted by DamonVile

Cleary you never PvP'ed pre-DaoC thus you are a carebear PvPer. DaoC with its /stick, CCs and zergs created an army of piss poor PvPers with little skill.

Anyone that argues skill when refering to mmorpg pvp is a carebear pvp'er. Real skill based pvp happens in shooters and other games that don't have gear or lame dice rolling mechanincs. All mmo pvp has created a bunch of piss poor pvp'ers that think they know what skill really is.

Making blanket statments that requier people to stand in the tiny little box you create is fun !

theres far more hacks in FPS games than mmo so arguing FPs games require more skill isnt really viable

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

theres far more hacks in FPS games than mmo so arguing FPs games require more skill isnt really viable

I wasn't trying to be.

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I think Warhammer Online is pretty awesome! .. 

I wasn't trying to be.

We all know that because anyone that argues all MMO PvP is the same has little experience in it. Few of you could handle the 20+ minute long one on one PvP duals of Asherons Call or run in an open world with no "system" like in Ultima Online.

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322

EA offices are ---> here

Cleary you never PvP'ed pre-DaoC thus you are a carebear PvPer. DaoC with its /stick, CCs and zergs created an army of piss poor PvPers with little skill. BTW, really loved the contstant nerf hammers for a year that resulted in an enter realm to hold in game protests on over a dozen servers for 3 months until something was finally done for them. GREAT GAME DESIGN!

What was pre-DAOC pvp in an mmorpg? I never played Ashrons Call so I can't comment and UO was my favorite game of all time, but mind blast, poison, ebolt ebolt ebolt doesn't take a genius. I was a dread lord and after that a perma-red, most of the time and although exciting, it was attack, run, pot, attack, run pot. If not it was 3 of us vs 1. Now we didn't have all the great quik bars, and you had to keep you bag open and be fast to double click that trapped pouch when frozen, but it wasn't hands down a pvp experience that was light years greater than DAOC.

I do agree though, stick was lame, but CC hads its roll and if you couldn't counter it than tough for the player.

Originally posted by Thedrizzle

EA offices are ---> here

What was pre-DAOC pvp in an mmorpg? I never played Ashrons Call so I can't comment and UO was my favorite game of all time, but mind blast, poison, ebolt ebolt ebolt doesn't take a genius. I was a dread lord and after that a perma-red, most of the time and although exciting, it was attack, run, pot, attack, run pot. If not it was 3 of us vs 1. Now we didn't have all the great quik bars, and you had to keep you bag open and be fast to double click that trapped pouch when frozen, but it wasn't hands down a pvp experience that was light years greater than DAOC.

I do agree though, stick was lame, but CC hads its roll and if you couldn't counter it than tough for the player.

im not going to even argue with people that think pre daoc pvp was the best, they obv know beter than me obv

Originally posted by Thedrizzle

EA offices are ---> here

im not going to even argue with people that think pre daoc pvp was the best, they obv know beter than me obv

Clearly. DaoC the first MMORPG to have entire realms have sit in protests due to PvP...lol. I bet you played a Sklad or was part of a 3 man team stopping a group of 2+ dozen people from Hibernia and gloating about how leet you were so choose to ignore how piss poor the game design was.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Yes, because that is what these game designers do, they purposefully make terrible games just to get money. And you know what? That makes ALL the sense...image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I wasn't trying to be.

We all know that because anyone that argues all MMO PvP is the same has little experience in it. Few of you could handle the 20+ minute long one on one PvP duals of Asherons Call or run in an open world with no "system" like in Ultima Online.

So hardcore...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!