Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For a series known for its amazing PvE - why so focused on PvP for ESO?

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    "Spiritual Sucessor to DAoC" is still a plausible-sounding marketing bullet point, despite past failures.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Margulis
    I can understand wanting to have PvP to some degree to appeal to all potential players, but it seems the biggest focus point from the devs, and their hype push, is all on the 3 faction system and PvP.  Why? This series was built on PvE, and any fan of the series would be a big fan of PvE also or they wouldnt even have even enjoyed the series.  So why would that not be the main focus?  Sure you want to draw in mmo players also who may not have been fans of the series because of the single player experience - but make that the biggest focus over what the series has become famous for? The hardcore PvP crowd isn't even that large of a percentage of the mmo community.  So again, why opt for this route?

Personaly I feel it has to do with that they want to go beyond that what we already have played in their singleplayer games.

An MMO can never outdo how story works compared to singleplayer games, so they try to create this familair world but where you actively can become a part of it due to how they are trying to impliment the way PVP works.http://tesozone.com/alliance-war

Of course I am not sure how it works out eventually, but it has my interest even though I aint much of a PVP player in MMO's atleast not the last several years.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

I'm in the camp that speculate they hired Firor and he decided to make a DAoC-RvR clone with the Elder Scrolls lore on top.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by azarhal

I'm in the camp that speculate they hired Firor and he decided to make a DAoC-RvR clone with the Elder Scrolls lore on top.

I know.  I don't understand WHY they would do that, TES had many elements that would translate to MMORPGs.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by sapphen

I know.  I don't understand WHY they would do that, TES had many elements that would translate to MMORPGs.

Exactly I agree and its rediculous. Focus more on the PvE aspect.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Cry me a river! More PvP the better!!!!!
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    I can understand wanting to have PvP to some degree to appeal to all potential players, but it seems the biggest focus point from the devs, and their hype push, is all on the 3 faction system and PvP.  Why? This series was built on PvE, and any fan of the series would be a big fan of PvE also or they wouldnt even have even enjoyed the series.  So why would that not be the main focus?  Sure you want to draw in mmo players also who may not have been fans of the series because of the single player experience - but make that the biggest focus over what the series has become famous for? The hardcore PvP crowd isn't even that large of a percentage of the mmo community.  So again, why opt for this route?

I think in part it's this feeling that you can't have a high profile MMO these days without big PVP and in part that they are still working on systems rather than quests and zones so PVP is easier to talk about than PVE content.  I think we will hear a lot more about PVE as they finsih writting the quests and filling the zoes.

We will have to see how PVP vs PVE plays out in this game.  I am not opposed to a big open PVP zone or two and open world PVP servers are fine but it would be a huge disservice to the game and it's fan's if PVE isn't the bread and butter focus of the game given TES's history and lore.  I also think PVP players are much more fickle about a game and since they have no tie to the world at all will up and jump ship from one game to another at the first sign of dissapointment.  Make a game rich in lore with interesting quests that is always growing and PVE players will stick around for years (I.E. TES games).  Easier said than done I know but I can't help but wonder if it would have been easier to accomplish if they where not dedicating so many resources to trying to shovel PVP into this universe?

It would be like CCP announcing they where shifting most of their resources to making quest lines and group content in EVE rather than PVP.  They would be stupid to do so given their player base.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by sapphen

Firor has wanted to remake DAOC "his way" ever since he left Mythic, but couldnt because 1. Its IP is owned EA/Mythic (and I think Mark Jacobs still has some control), 2. He probably had a 5+ year No Compete clause, and 3. Its TOO HARD to write your own Original IP

Enter The Elder Scrolls whos IP is 1. Popular, 2. Medieval Fantasy, and 3. if twisted, smashed and hacked could be made to resemble a DAOC game style

What I dont really understand is why Bethesda/Howard would let Firor do it.

My guess is that Howard is treating TESO as a "spin-off" (ie- Redguard and Battlespire) of the Elder Scrolls Series and doesnt care much either way.

If TESO succeeds great, more publicity for him and ES.

If it fails, oh well. He still owns the IP and the ability to create real ES games.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I wouldn't mind PvP in MMO's if they didn't screw over PvE abilities to balance PvP.  I don't even mind open world PvP too much.  For the love of god don't cut off 2/3 of the world for PvP immersion.  And mark my words they will destroy PvE abilities for PvP "balance" like every other dumbass MMO dev out there

And the people in charge of this game did it OFTEN in DaoC, so much so that my guild and I walked away from the game...that was almost 400 people that got so sick of them dropping massive nerf hammers, many of them wasnt even on our realm, but we walked when the Hibernia protests started taking place...and we were in Midgard...it was a case of enough is enough...and that there was better PvP in other games anyway.

lol... oh the op realm. What... you quit when they stopped groups of 1 skald and 7 warlocks from insta dumping 3 bubbles each killing ANYTHING on their path?

Please cry me a river about nerf hammers on midgard... seriously.

Stop making bad publicity when you were obviously a bad player - and by your other posts, any daoc player can tell you didnt play enough.

Highlighted for everyones pleasure.

When you learn how to read and comprehend...post again...but I do thank you for proving you are yet another in a long line of carebears that thought DaoC PvP was great because it made you look as if you could do it with its awesome /follow, CCs and zergs which took the skill out of it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Inktomi
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Inktomi

It's TES, how bad can it be? Do you really think Bethesda will let its best cash-cow falter (beside FO3 n NV) after so many years of success? 

No way man. It's a brand name.

Ahh the memories of Bioware and Star wars pre launch are flooding back....

True, past performance is not indicative of future results. But there is $x.xx of dollars waiting on this game. They release I will invest into them and give it a go. It turns out to be another...what was it...tortanic? I lose a couple of bucks. 

I didn't lose a dollar on Star Wars, The Secret World and countless other over-hyped duds that have rolled down this mmorpg.com pipe. I am willing to put my rep behind TESO though.

Well, glad you are Ink.

The point I was making though was simply a trusted dev, lots of money, and a much loved brand do not always add up to a good game, so citing them at this point as a reason why it's gonna be great is a bit premature.

The chances are TESO will be a solid offering and appeal to a decent amount of people, though sadly I won't be one of them for different reasons. I actually hope it won't be another SWTOR tbh... this industry needs more succes and diversity all round.

(Tips hat) Thank you, kind Sir. Sadly, you will not be joining us. While no game is ever perfect, especially at launch, I will be hanging in there with the rest of the crowd on release day. For whatever reasons you cannot play TESO, wishing you the best of luck in all of your gaming endevours.

~Ink

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

I wouldn't mind PvP in MMO's if they didn't screw over PvE abilities to balance PvP.  I don't even mind open world PvP too much.  For the love of god don't cut off 2/3 of the world for PvP immersion.  And mark my words they will destroy PvE abilities for PvP "balance" like every other dumbass MMO dev out there

And the people in charge of this game did it OFTEN in DaoC, so much so that my guild and I walked away from the game...that was almost 400 people that got so sick of them dropping massive nerf hammers, many of them wasnt even on our realm, but we walked when the Hibernia protests started taking place...and we were in Midgard...it was a case of enough is enough...and that there was better PvP in other games anyway.

lol... oh the op realm. What... you quit when they stopped groups of 1 skald and 7 warlocks from insta dumping 3 bubbles each killing ANYTHING on their path?

Stop making bad publicity when you were obviously a bad player - and by your other posts, any daoc player can tell you didnt play enough.

When you learn how to read and comprehend...post again...but I do thank you for proving you are yet another in a long line of carebears that thought DaoC PvP was great because it made you look as if you could do it with its awesome /follow, CCs and zergs which took the skill out of it.

I think you mean /stick, not /follow - every game has /follow.

I think you mean /stick, not /follow - every game has /follow.

indeed...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    I believe the trailer created all this hype about PvP.  I believe there will be way more PvE content than you anticipate.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Explain why they should even bother making a solely PvE focused MMO when their single player games already meet that demand perfectly?
    Originally posted by redcapp
    Explain why they should even bother making a solely PvE focused MMO when their single player games already meet that demand perfectly?

Explain why they should take an IP that is already a RPG and make it into an MMO that is absolutely nothing like the RPG outside of the look and names of places when MMOs exist that are far closer to what the IP is?!?

It would be like taking Half Life, ,make an online game and calling it Half Life but making it a melee combat sidescroller.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

To state the obvious, the Elder Scrolls series was PVE only because it was a single player game... Hard to do PVP by yourself image

Of course it is known for good PVE--that's the only type of gameplay it had.

There seem to be a lot of butthurt people in this forum picking apart this MMO's design for several reasons that, IMHO, boil down to just one thing: you don't really want an Elder Scrolls MMO. What you really want is another single player ES game.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

There seem to be a lot of butthurt people in this forum picking apart this MMO's design for several reasons that, IMHO, boil down to just one thing: you don't really want an Elder Scrolls MMO. What you really want is another single player ES game.

There seems to be a lot of butthurt people in this forum kissing developers bottoms no matter the design for one reason, IMHO, boils down to being massive DaoC fans that knows the game sucked so much it will never be made and so they dont care how they get something like, they will take it, even going so far as to say that anyone against the game must BLAH BLAH BLAH HURKA DURR DERP DURP...

which is why even when people point out how MMOs have been made more like TES, they even say things like quoted above, gotta protect that outdated craptastic DaoC style gameplay!

There seems to be a lot of butthurt people in this forum kissing developers bottoms no matter the design for one reason, IMHO, boils down to being massive DaoC fans that knows the game sucked so much it will never be made and so they dont care how they get something like, they will take it, even going so far as to say that anyone against the game must BLAH BLAH BLAH HURKA DURR DERP DURP...

which is why even when people point out how MMOs have been made more like TES, they even say things like quoted above, gotta protect that outdated craptastic DaoC style gameplay!

Another example of IP zealotry at work... Maybe you'll save TES from itself if you rage hard and often enough, you think?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Another example of IP zealotry at work... Maybe you'll save TES from itself if you rage hard and often enough, you think?

Another example of fanboy zealoty at work...Maybe you'll save TESO from itself if you blindly defend hard and often enough, you think?

amidoinitrite?

Another example of fanboy zealoty at work...Maybe you'll save TESO from itself if you blindly defend hard and often enough, you think?

amidoinitrite?

You sure like throwing the fanboy word  around instead of saying anything intelligent. Maybe in your neck of the woods or swamp shouting louder and more obnoxiously wins the arguments

Here's one of my favorite definitions of fanboy:

2. A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

Never hate something just because you suck at it.

Some of us will like the game, some of us won't... those who wont, also wont be missed by the ones who will play it.

See where Im going with this? Or will you continue to post completely irrelevant and pointless stuff on a forum of a game you don't like while you could be on a forum of a game you like being somewhat productive and where people actually value your opinion?

You're just making these forums harder to read thats all... apart from that, you and your opinion are irrelevant since all you do is hate the game. Oh and man up and stop crying and whining about everything... now, watch the head, keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle; dont want you to get hurt on your way out

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

To state the obvious, the Elder Scrolls series was PVE only because it was a single player game... Hard to do PVP by yourself image

Of course it is known for good PVE--that's the only type of gameplay it had.

Nah, what I wanted from this IP was simply a game that offered me all the features and lands so far seen in the single player games stitched together, the main personalised story arcs removed, and co-op play. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not hating on the TESO for what it is, but it dosen't offer what I personally want from the association with the TES brand.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

How is TES series built on PvE? Its a single-player game, there's no chance for PvP. (Don't you go split-creen on me, as the series is originally a PC exclusive.)

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Neherun

How is TES series built on PvE? Its a single-player game, there's no chance for PvP. (Don't you go split-creen on me, as the series is originally a PC exclusive.)

Kind of missing the point of the question.

TESO had the option of going 100% PvE or having varying amounts of PvP. Thir design seems to be very heavily focused on PvP. The question why did they focus so much on PvP is very valid. Saying the SPG didn't have PvP is irrelevent.

For example, if TESO was based around the same core design of 3 faction PvP fighting over a cetral hub then why not do the following: -

Make the 3 factions untied into racial/regional restrictions but of political/idealogical idea's.

Make any faction avialable to any race.

Make any region explorable.

Keep the unwritten rule that combat outside Cyrodil was not allowed (rather then hard locking where people can go to stop fighting just stop fighting but allow people to roam free).

Due to regions/races not being faction locked you cannot really tell which faction people belong too outside Cyrodil so you justify no attacks outside the PvP area.

PvE is available to all races in all area's.

Everyone now has 300% of content and can choose where to do the content so it is now possible to level 3 characters of the same race without repeated content if required (assuming they haven't copy pasted content currently).

PvP remains untouched in terms of where you CAN fight.

PvE exploration is now 100% open.

Character choice is now 100% open.

Faction pride remains unchanged because those that are PvP'ing are still doing it in the same place with the same goals.

Guilds can now recruit from all races.

Guild members are not faced with having to choose between guild and the character they want to play if they conflict.

Friends can now PvE together anywhere on the map and join the same faction.

Seriously, I could go on all day.

Dumb design, dumb supporters.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    ESO has nothing to do with Elder Scrolls besides the lore. 

And not even that.

The game is supposed to be taking place during 2E, yet amazingly enough even though the lore states that not even after the fall of the last protector of the empire did any other faction invade imperial lands until SEPTIM himself came alone...in this game, not only will all sides invade imperial lands, we will be able to elect our own emperor...

worse yet, of the 3 factions only ONE of them was ever any real threat to the imperials...yet all 3 will be made equal.

So no, they are not even sticking to the lore, they are bastardizing it as much as everything else about the series. Beautiful elves?!? WTF.

They didn't change the lore, they added to it. They added to 400 years of emptiness. In fact, they are being quite brilliant with their usage of already known lore. They didn't change how High Rock, Hammerfell and the none-existant Orsinium are (Orsinium does not exist in TESO). They used the known political landscape to make the Daggerfal Covenant happen. Same goes for the Ebonheart Pact, using the alliance from the Akaviri invasion of 572 as the base for it. They also included the Knahaten Flu into the new lore.

Lore state: a bunch of petty warlords trying to take over the Ruby Throne to be crowned Emperor but never lasting long enough so they are unnamed in the anals of history (Pocket Guide to the Empire 1st edition that came with Arena in 1993).  This give us a bunch of petty warlords (guide leaders/players) trying to take over the Ruby Throne to be crowned Emperor and they will change every weeks and nobody will care who they are. Sound spot on to me.

As a  Elder Scrolls lore fans love how they have been going about it.