Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Beta Testing to Begin February 25th

2»

Comments

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    FFXIV would have made an awful next gen mmo. They need subscribers now and the current gen has the playerbase to give them those subscribers. They don't have time to wait for next gen consoles to grow. Also with the fiasco that is FFXII Versus and the non existent console sequel to Kingdom Heart do you really think it would be good PR to push back XIV until the PS4 comes out? Square doesn't have the luxury of timing right now, and the faster they can release a quality product the better it'll look for them.
  • VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    I just think SE have missed the boat here in timing. FF XIV remade or reborn would be a treat as a next gen PS4 mmo. As it is, altough it will be a nice mmo, it just won't ever realize its full potenital. However, it is a learning curve for SE and the mmo experience, so I am just wondering whether this may be the learning curve for a real next gerneation console mmo from SE in a few years time. Let's hope so. 

Oh yeah because everyone is going to buy a PS4 the day it releases. Most people wait several years before switching over to a new console -- you know that right? The day-1 buyers are mostly just eBayers who make bank online post-day-1 when all editions are sold out.

• spyder0065spyder0065 Member Posts: 2
    just a question. may have already been covered but i didnt see anything on it. if you previously payedfor final fantasy 14 do you have to pay for another copy or is it just a really big update
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by TemperHoof
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i think everyone who bought the first game should have default beta access. Squeenix, make it happen!

We've discussed this. Welcome to the topic a bit late! You get into a beta Phase 3 and/or 4 if you sign up. So you DO get default access, just um.. Not PRIVLEDGED default access. That went to people who actually subscribed to the game for a long duration and did much more than just buy it.

This is not directed at anyone... but this tells me that they've got all their external beta testing performed by people who are borderline retarded.   I didn't even realize there were people who did this.  It must have all been people who forgot to cancel their auto-pay.

• spyder0065spyder0065 Member Posts: 2
    just a question. may have already been covered but i didnt see anything on it. if you previously payedfor final fantasy 14 do you have to pay for another copy or is it just a really big update
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by spyder0065

The game is free and so is the first month when it releases if you already bought the game.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Smoey

When will we beable to download the client? 

I just hope they have changed their updating system as it requires torrenting! This is throttled to death by my ISP :(

However, I'm super hyped about this and I'm lucky enough to have the legacy status. 

Bring on my free Chocobo!!!

I also have legacy status. Free chocobo? oh do tell. Im a legacy member and still dont have a beta invite and its sunday. Tell me they are not screwing this up already.

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    So this is a redo on the FF MMO that was already out, that they botched up really bad? Then let people in for free? and now they're selling it again? I'm really confused, how many FF MMO's have there been?  I'm not saying its bad or good, i'm just honestly confused by how many iterations of this game there is or have been?  Just looking for answers about that.
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Ironman2000
    So this is a redo on the FF MMO that was already out, that they botched up really bad? Then let people in for free? and now they're selling it again? I'm really confused, how many FF MMO's have there been?  I'm not saying its bad or good, i'm just honestly confused by how many iterations of this game there is or have been?  Just looking for answers about that.

They release IV.  It was unfinished and poorly designed, so much so that they did not charge a subscription fee for about 15 months.  About 13 months ago they said "OK, this game isn't total shit anymore, we're going to charge $10 a month for it now", now they're ready to release their 2.0 version of it.  Which is described about as a really big patch to overhaul some systems.

Had you been paying the $10 a month for some unclear amount of time, you could be doing some beta of this 2.0 patch, right now.  Otherwise you'll have to wait for the official release date, then buy the game (if you haven't) and pay $13 a month for it.

• clamoclamo Member Posts: 16

I really hope they have finaly fixed this game so its as playable as 11 is. judging by the shot up top it looks nice but I sure hope for SE sake that they deliver a game with more potential then when it 1st launched or as a paying customer I may nerver mess with another MMO from SE.

but as regurds to what SE has stated about charging for this game via the subscription system. they DID say that NO ONE would get charged TILL the game was fully redone and launched the PS3 version. BUT I know this to be a LIE as what else was stated on there site @ a latter time about the fee's and that now they are charging to play it even tho what they stated the 1st time. so I am not so sure IF I will be supporting SE anymore. IF they scrue up the offline single player games then just like I have done with Konami and Capcom, I WILL stop supporting them.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    Originally posted by clamo

I really hope they have finaly fixed this game so its as playable as 11 is. judging by the shot up top it looks nice but I sure hope for SE sake that they deliver a game with more potential then when it 1st launched or as a paying customer I may nerver mess with another MMO from SE.

but as regurds to what SE has stated about charging for this game via the subscription system. they DID say that NO ONE would get charged TILL the game was fully redone and launched the PS3 version. BUT I know this to be a LIE as what else was stated on there site @ a latter time about the fee's and that now they are charging to play it even tho what they stated the 1st time. so I am not so sure IF I will be supporting SE anymore. IF they scrue up the offline single player games then just like I have done with Konami and Capcom, I WILL stop supporting them.

I do not recall this announcement. Though it does seem vaugly familiar in nature, but perhaps things weren't so cut and dry. In December 2010 SquareEnix announced the team change. Naoki Yoshida took over as producer and director of Final Fantasy XIV. During that time they also announce the PS3 version was cancled completely. When Yoshida took over, they began digging through the system to see how they could salavage the game. While they were doing this salvage opperation the game when free-to-play until further notice.

Former players who were greatly displeased with the original Final Fantas XIV title and did not subscribe were given priority access to the Alpha Version of the game throughout November and December 2012. Though under NDA, many of those players had positive responses about the game. Many did appreciate the effort SE had done to really change the game at its core, making it much more fun to play and easy to understand.

The Alpha ended in late December 2012. Now Legacy members, which are people who subscribed, are now given priority access to the Beta since the were overlooked during the Alpha stages.

Later this month media outlets who have gotten their hands on the Beta Client will be writing previews and updates about the game. Once the media tour is done with London, all media outlets are supposed to release information at the exact same time. Otherwise, they are under 'gag order' until later this month. Rest assured you'll be hearing more about the improvements in gameplay from them soon.