Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shimmering path? really...

WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Is this the next phase in the "Dummbing down" of MMOs.. A little shimmering path on the ground that tells you where to go in the dungeon, or in a town?

This hand holding is getting out of control, when are we as players going to stop spending money on these games and let the developers know that we don't want games that play for us. We want games that take thought, are immersive and require you to actually play the game in order to achieve your goals.

When I logged into the game and saw that shimmering path on the ground, i immediately uninstalled.

Bravo Cryptic.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    shimmering path can be toggled on/off and other games have used this long ago.. EQ2 i remember had it

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    shimmering path can be toggled on/off and other games have used this long ago.. EQ2 i remember had it

EverQuest 1 had it too. Using the find feature.

--------------------------------------------
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    I also really hate the shimmering path.  Yet there are so many other features I like, that I am willing to somewhat overlook it.  Also you can turn it off in options, but by doing so you are essentially imposing a self handicap, because everyone else will be using it.  That is one of the reasons I really hate the "but you can turn it off" argument.  Yes you can turn it off, and watch everyone litterally fly past you, as you trod around trying to find things the old fashioned way.
    Originally posted by Wellspring

EverQuest 1 had it too. Using the find feature.

ahh yea i remember that.. it's been awhile.. a LONG while:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Lol, yeah the OP is gonna have to go back to his Cryptic Big Book of Bad and find another entry.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

Originally posted by ragz45
    I also really hate the shimmering path.  Yet there are so many other features I like, that I am willing to somewhat overlook it.  Also you can turn it off in options, but by doing so you are essentially imposing a self handicap, because everyone else will be using it.  That is one of the reasons I really hate the "but you can turn it off" argument.  Yes you can turn it off, and watch everyone litterally fly past you, as you trod around trying to find things the old fashioned way.

how is it a self handicap if it increases the enjoyment you get out of a game? are you just in these games to speed through and finish everything as fast as possible? why ever play a game on hard when you got easy right there

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Is this the next phase in the "Dummbing down" of MMOs.. A little shimmering path on the ground that tells you where to go in the dungeon, or in a town?

This hand holding is getting out of control, when are we as players going to stop spending money on these games and let the developers know that we don't want games that play for us. We want games that take thought, are immersive and require you to actually play the game in order to achieve your goals.

When I logged into the game and saw that shimmering path on the ground, i immediately uninstalled.

Bravo Cryptic.

Well give me your beta key then because I would actually bother to try playing the game for more than twenty seconds before discounting it out of hand.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Bravo Cryptic.

Not sure what you mean by "next phase". As others here have already pointed out, this feature dates back all the way to Everquest. Do you have a legit gripe or are you just chucking mud at Cryptic for something already used by other games prior to this point?

Again, as others have said, if it really bothers you, you can just turn it off. Problem solved.

Don't get me wrong, I've always been critical of Cryptic, but this is a pretty obvious case of not knowing what you are talking about.

Besides, players "dumb down" MMOs themselves with add-ons like quest helper or carobnite. Pointers that point to a next objective is just as "dumbing down" as what ever a developer could do.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I do not like it, myself, but it seems a lot have become dependant on these types of mechanics, and would probably protest if it wasn't in the game. 

I may try it, just because I am not playing anything atm, and it will be free to try...I do not have much hope for it though.  I am not  ahuge fan of companions in a mmo (ie TOR), in a single player RPG, I saw the need, in a MMO, I am skeptical, but I will give things a chance.

Looking forward to ArcheAge, but leary of a lot of things announced about it too, and I am really hoping that EQNext can bring some old school gaming back, but that just may be asking too much anymore, to have some open dungeons, open world stuff.  Tired of over instancing of everything, and some forced 'story' that is crud and doesn't matter.

I will give it a look, so I will wait to judge anything till then, I am hoping they atleast have some quality systems to go with the game as it is set up.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    How many times have gotten lost trying to do a quest?  Looking at a WOWhead equivalant for the game you are playing can be a bit frustrating.
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    you can toggle it of - thanks god, but honestly, neverwinter is so straight forward, you basically only have 1 route in a dungeon from what ive seen so its kinda ridicoulos
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    you can toggle it of - thanks god, but honestly, neverwinter is so straight forward, you basically only have 1 route in a dungeon from what ive seen so its kinda ridicoulos

most basic/starter dungeons in any MMO have only one route

thanks god, since these kind of games are completly new concepts never to be seen on the face of this earth they might completly overwhelm players that have hardly a few years of gaming experience

thanks god, since these kind of games are completly new concepts never to be seen on the face of this earth they might completly overwhelm players that have hardly a few years of gaming experience

my question is since most big budget MMOs don't offer multiple branching dungeons on the first basic dungeons why would you expect this on a f2p lower budget MMO?

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    While the knee-jerk reaction from the OP is a little overboard. I will agree that it is a silly feature, in todays games or yesterdays.   Regardless if you can toggle it or not. 

my question is since most big budget MMOs don't offer multiple branching dungeons on the first basic dungeons why would you expect this on a f2p lower budget MMO?

so what are you saying because it has been done like this for some time it needs to be done like this or its a question of money? while i think the later holds true to some degree, i think smart level design shouldnt and doesnt have to be a money question...especially in a free to play game model where you really need your players to enjoy the game and spend as much time in it as possible...

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by ragz45

how is it a self handicap if it increases the enjoyment you get out of a game? are you just in these games to speed through and finish everything as fast as possible? why ever play a game on hard when you got easy right there

If the people you play with turn that feature off as well then it's not much of an issue. Should you be playing (or rather pugging) with people you don't know and they have this feature enabled then it's as if you had it enabled on your own game client (since you'll probably stick together as a group).

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Bravo Cryptic.

Wait, so I'm supposed to stop spending money on these games so that you can let the devs know you dont want games like this? I'm sorry, you can choose to spend your money, I will spend mine. Thank you.

Also, I really don't mind it in this game just because its more about the action not so much exploration. But you are rewarded for exploring opional paths as well.