Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With TESOs focus on RvR how do you think it will fair when CU launches?

GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I'm actually wondering about the longevity of TESO at this point already (Yes, I know the game hasn't launched yet). It's already pushing away many TES fans in favor of RvR fans due to the RvR focus. What happens when it's a battle between CU (The DAoC successor) and TES (A series that was never really about PvP). 

It's basically a battle between Matt Firor and Mark Jacobs vying for the same DAoC player base while Jacobs has the IP advantage. 

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

TESO will have years of post launch development and a fanbase before you even play(demo/beta)CU. plus having more content in general in the form of PVE...if anything CU will be seen a s a side game. smaller scale, smaller budget. even if the RvR is better, you're getting less for the dollar objectively.

PS. DAoC, like all other old MMO's that have dropped in popularty have its fanbase absolutely scattered to the wind by now. TESO will have its own and CU will have its own. there's not much of a battle to be had here. they will either have a widley divergent appeal despite RvR due to one being a pvp only game, and if TESO happens to go F2P by the time CU releases well...not much of a hard choice then is there.. play both.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

all I can say is......I hope both games kick ass. 

Wont there be a good amount of time between the launch of TESO and CU?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I'm actually passing on CU because as much as I liked DAoC the RvR PvP isn't my thing. I'm an FFA PvP fan myself and the lack of PvE kind of leaves me without much interest in the game. 

There should be a good amount of time between the two launches which I think could be both good and bad. By the time CU launches its plausible to think interest in TESO could be down enough to make an impact. Though I honestly don't know how much development CU has if any as I haven't delved into much detail about it after hearing its essentially RvR only. 

I'm just thinking ahead and wondering without the RvR fans if TESO would have much staying power. A games only focus being RvR its reasonable to think it could (Notice I said could oO!) pull the RvR fans away from other titles. 

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    It can only help CU.  After people get burnt out on ESO phased RVR they'll flock to try CU. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Making a good RvR system is not an easy task. Every game that tried it after DAoC failed miserably. Let's just be happy that MMOs started caring about open world PvP all of a sudden and hope at least one of them gets it right.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Given the (lack of) longevity seen in the genre these days, I honestly don't expect TESO to even be relevant by the time CU is being released.
    Originally posted by redcapp
    Given the (lack of) longevity seen in the genre these days, I honestly don't expect TESO to even be relevant by the time CU is being released.

This is entirely possible as well. 

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

I'm sure all the hardcore RvR players will go to CU as soon as it launches, because despite ESO being RvR focus, it's not going be the game's main selling point.  However the problem with RvR PvP is that you need a large player base for RvR to work.

I feel bad for Mark Jacobs as I feel he's painted himself into another corner with his kickstarter.  It's one thing for his backers to love DAoC, it's another thing for them to hate everything not DAoC.  I have no idea what Mark is going to do when CU starts bleeding subs after the first month like all MMOs do. Half the population will be demanding more features to justify the sub and the other half will threaten to quit if their game is changed in any way.  Despite what anybody says, he's going to do what he needs to do make the money, which will piss off a lot of fans.

ESO will probably not have the best RvR players, but it will most likely have more people overall participating in RvR casually. The rewards for participating in ESO RvR will be fully established by the time of CU's release.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

lol CU is vaporware... and well you know... <insert Mark Jacobs God-Mode Sentence here> to make it fall down the pits of failure...

Yes he did DAoC... but George Lucas also made starwars and all of a sudden he makes movies like I know how to cook - like shit.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I'm actually wondering about the longevity of TESO at this point already (Yes, I know the game hasn't launched yet). It's already pushing away many TES fans in favor of RvR fans due to the RvR focus. What happens when it's a battle between CU (The DAoC successor) and TES (A series that was never really about PvP). 

It's basically a battle between Matt Firor and Mark Jacobs vying for the same DAoC player base while Jacobs has the IP advantage. 

While I will most likely play both I am apprensive about CU more because of the niche systems it employee's.  Removing PvE progression will not be for many people.  I also look forward to the ESO PvE more then anything else since I have grown to not care as much about PvP in my old age.  However seeing as Cyrodill is offering alot of PvE style content in the RvR areas with open dungeons my PvP appeal could change.  Bsically I am looking forward to ESO more because it offers the TES style character progression and exploration centric content I yearn for.  Endgame will be an issue for both games so either/or could end up being the next 3 monther for me.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i think TESO wil have a better chance at succeeding in today's mmo market.  it will provide pve and pvp.  hopefully both games will provide enough entertainment to not be a waste of money.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    I am fine without the PVE progression as long as the PVP/RVR is good. I am not sure why they chose to remove all PVE though but as I said as long as the pvp is good I am ok with it.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I prefer PvE/PvP clearly separated, o/w PvP should not interact with my PvE progress.
    Both must be well designed and not boring.

May be I asking too much?=D

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• ChakaCanChakaCan Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Bigbadwlf

I'm sure all the hardcore RvR players will go to CU as soon as it launches, because despite ESO being RvR focus, it's not going be the game's main selling point.  However the problem with RvR PvP is that you need a large player base for RvR to work.

I feel bad for Mark Jacobs as I feel he's painted himself into another corner with his kickstarter.  It's one thing for his backers to love DAoC, it's another thing for them to hate everything not DAoC.  I have no idea what Mark is going to do when CU starts bleeding subs after the first month like all MMOs do. Half the population will be demanding more features to justify the sub and the other half will threaten to quit if their game is changed in any way.  Despite what anybody says, he's going to do what he needs to do make the money, which will piss off a lot of fans.

ESO will probably not have the best RvR players, but it will most likely have more people overall participating in RvR casually. The rewards for participating in ESO RvR will be fully established by the time of CU's release.

This ^^^

All I have to add is these will be 2 entirely different games.  The only similarity is the fans wanting a DAoC 2, and not getting it with either game.  :(                         -  I am curious how the action combat of ESO is going to do in RvR.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    CU is so far out their launch wise (years), thats even possible you'll never see it.  TESO is right around the corner.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    CU is just RvR and MMORPGs are about ALOT more than RvR.
  • aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

Actually I care much about my playtime in TESO, too. I fear that GuildWars 2 affects the direction of TESO, as a modern MMORPG, much. Well, I will try both games - TESO and CU - even though TESO will launch earlier than CU.

Im one of the fed up people who were pretty disappointed by GuildWars 2 battle/skill/casualfriendly-system. The dev blogs sound great to me while I don't hear that much about the TESO system besides some informations. Ex-DAoC players are able to imagine what Mr. Jacobs aims for ...

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Is Camelot Unchained made by Mythic? Nope.

Is Camelot Unchained even in production? Nope.

I'm leary of a game that hasn't even started yet, where the developer says he can have it ready by end of next year or early 2015. That's like less than 2 years actual development. ZeniMax Online has been working on ESO for six years.

And lastly, it's not DAoC 2 anymore than TESO is.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

My thoughts are all of this is just rampant speculation based on angst, innuendo, and a few press releases. Personally I'll wait until there is some actual concrete information I can use to formulate an educated opinion. Instead of participating in what seems to be the usuall behavior around here, which is to flail around in an aimless panic like chickens caught in a sudden hail storm.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• Casca9226Casca9226 Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat

Is Camelot Unchained made by Mythic? Nope.

Is Camelot Unchained even in production? Nope.

I'm leary of a game that hasn't even started yet, where the developer says he can have it ready by end of next year or early 2015. That's like less than 2 years actual development. ZeniMax Online has been working on ESO for six years.

And lastly, it's not DAoC 2 anymore than TESO is.

^^this.

As much as im looking into CU and what mark jacobs has to offer, it is still years away.  I think TESO is going to do a great job oRVR and pve wise . Im excited for both but would like some more info on TESO since it is right around the corner (I.E. classes, mounts, housing ect ect).

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    CU is just RvR and MMORPGs are about ALOT more than RvR.

CU doesn't even exist yet, so ......

Nor is it likely to ever exist...

But even if by some miracle CU comes together, the draw for me never was Arthur, Merlin, etc. it was the RvR with the segregated PVE. TESO will have that. Plus, all in all, I like the ES universe quite a bit.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Dunno, I look forward to playing them both.
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

My thoughts are all of this is just rampant speculation based on angst, innuendo, and a few press releases. Personally I'll wait until there is some actual concrete information I can use to formulate an educated opinion. Instead of participating in what seems to be the usuall behavior around here, which is to flail around in an aimless panic like chickens caught in a sudden hail storm.

What else is there beyond speculation at this point? As far as an educated opinion, this an opinion formed based on the current information at hand. While its far to early to expect any kind of accuracy with opinions or predictions of any kind it does not negate the ability to formulate an educated opinion. 

Don't throw a fit and get all defensive, I wasn't asking out of a dislike for either game and this was not a doom and gloom thread. I simply find it interesting that two former colleagues are going to be vying for the same player base using two different games. 

Again lol, don't over react I actually have zero interest in CU. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Rthuth434
    TESO will have years of post launch development and a fanbase before you even play(demo/beta)CU. plus having more content in general in the form of PVE...if anything CU will be seen a s a side game. smaller scale, smaller budget. even if the RvR is better, you're getting less for the dollar objectively. PS. DAoC, like all other old MMO's that have dropped in popularty have its fanbase absolutely scattered to the wind by now. TESO will have its own and CU will have its own. there's not much of a battle to be had here. they will either have a widley divergent appeal despite RvR due to one being a pvp only game, and if TESO happens to go F2P by the time CU releases well...not much of a hard choice then is there.. play both.

read this ^

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Maephisto

all I can say is......I hope both games kick ass. 

Wont there be a good amount of time between the launch of TESO and CU?

Amen brother!  I am all for EVERY mmo succeeding!  More choices are win for the players!  Back on topic, I believe both games may do well if they can truely 'walk the walk', so to speak, based on recent interviews.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S