Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Star Citizen: $8 Million and Counting

24

Comments

  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Edison, NJPosts: 457Member

    It's been said already: crowdfunding <> investing.

    I put up some money to back the game. I didn't spend more then what a new game normally costs on a PC or console. That amount makes sense for me personally. Others rightfully have their own approach to the concept.

    To me, it's no different then pre-ordering a game. That the dude has a solid resume for video games is all the more reason for me to pre-order.

    image

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by Vayman

    It's been said already: crowdfunding <> investing.

    I put up some money to back the game. I didn't spend more then what a new game normally costs on a PC or console. That amount makes sense for me personally. Others rightfully have their own approach to the concept.

    To me, it's no different then pre-ordering a game. That the dude has a solid resume for video games is all the more reason for me to pre-order.

    Yeah, personally I'd rather give my money directly to a developer that I believe in rather than giving more money to a company like EA. 

  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Posts: 758Member Uncommon
    Nvm
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Posts: 758Member Uncommon
     

     

  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

    The game hasn't even hit a proper dev cycle, it's all about getting capital investment with giving no returns and you guys are endorsing this?

     

    You are investing in a company and getting nothing save SWAG in return.

    You are getting conned, you may not think you are, but who thinks they are getting conned while giving hard money for items and a "promise" the game will be developed.

     

    Lets just keep rewarding bad business with more business! There is a reason venture didn't touch this guy. There is a big reason.

    Damn straight I'm rewarding this... One of the major problems we are facing is the fact that suits put business FIRST (which being suits, they would, and should). Making an entertaining, enjoyable game comes SECOND (if that).  CR has a demonstrated track record of knowing how to make entertaining, enjoyable games. 

    I'm not looking at this as an investment.  I'm more than willing to risk some money (I can always make more), on the chance that someone with an established track record can make an entertaining, enjoyable game.  Money is easy to come by. Good games aren't.

    Hell, I'm even willing to risk some of my money, so that new developers can *learn* how to make entertaining, enjoyable games.  Expanding the experience/skill/knowledge base required to make these complex games, seems like a good idea to me.  Much better than waiting around endlessly for investors and their suits to get a clue about such things.

  • zomard100zomard100 karlovacPosts: 228Member
    Well i can make for 100$ 10X  better website from that one of  Star Citizen, it is the worst mess i ever saw on one gaming website
  • itchmonitchmon west islip, NYPosts: 1,714Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

    Lets just keep rewarding bad business with more business! There is a reason venture didn't touch this guy. There is a big reason.

    venture touched SWTOR, venture touched the original ff14.  those were pretty much poop.  i'd rather drop my 40 bucks on a project that wants to do what *i* want and venture be damned.

    RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

    Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

    Dwight D Eisenhower

    My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

    Henry Rollins

  • pinktailzpinktailz internet, ALPosts: 61Member Uncommon
    cant wait release, it will pile of shit of course, and  there will tons of rage and butthurt :D
  • -Zeno--Zeno- Zion, TNPosts: 1,298Member Common
    You need 10 million minimum to make an MMORPG.

    The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

  • ArconaArcona VanlosePosts: 1,185Member
    Originally posted by -Zeno-
    You need 10 million minimum to make an MMORPG.

    no.

  • ComanComan Hattem, AKPosts: 2,026Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

    Lets just keep rewarding bad business with more business! There is a reason venture didn't touch this guy. There is a big reason.

    I had a teacher that worked for a big importing company or something. He and his co-worker got a drink on there desk that was called red bull. They drink it and figured "Who the hell would want to drink this, there is no market for this" and decided not to sell it. Believe me he and the company regreted the discision...I mean really regreted it as in a couple of millions big regret. 

    So yes just because they do not see something in it does not mean it's not worth it. 

    I do agree that I find it odd so many poeple are willing to invest money into this at this stage, but I am ok with that. They risk there money and I might eventually end up playing a good game. 

     
  • ComanComan Hattem, AKPosts: 2,026Member Uncommon
    Used quote instead of edit ><
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLPosts: 866Member Uncommon
    I don't understand why this gets 8 mil on Kickstarter, but something that has been out for 10 years may not even make it to 100k.

    "To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
    Authored 110 missions in Vendetta Online
    Check it out on Steam

  • SeanalexSeanalex Spokane, WAPosts: 45Member
    Originally posted by nttajira

    anyone can list me some kickstarter game who have actualy releases ??

    i have try google , but find ZERO mmorpg who have actualy releases using this system

    anyone can give some link of released game ?? the only one you can find = FTL

     

    seriously.... we promise you 2560 GAMe each year , suck your money , and not a single one have releases ?? you guy are fool ..

    brb going make my kickstarter for get some MONEY :)

     

    FTL: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light?ref=category

    Strike Suit Zero: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43153532/strike-suit-zero?ref=category

     

    Most games on Kickstarter are very ambitious projects and thus require long development cycles. Just because something get's funded does not mean it will only take them a month to get something out, that's not how it works.

    Played - EQ 1/2, WoW, SWG, SWTOR, GW 1/2 UO, STO, CO, DCUO, AO, Rift.

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Seanalex
    Originally posted by nttajira

    anyone can list me some kickstarter game who have actualy releases ??

    i have try google , but find ZERO mmorpg who have actualy releases using this system

    anyone can give some link of released game ?? the only one you can find = FTL

     

    seriously.... we promise you 2560 GAMe each year , suck your money , and not a single one have releases ?? you guy are fool ..

    brb going make my kickstarter for get some MONEY :)

     

    FTL: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light?ref=category

    Strike Suit Zero: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43153532/strike-suit-zero?ref=category

     

    Most games on Kickstarter are very ambitious projects and thus require long development cycles. Just because something get's funded does not mean it will only take them a month to get something out, that's not how it works.

    also isn't kickstarter fairly new? i only heard about it last year.. since then I have seen a ton of new projects emerge on there but none have had long enough to actually finish development after getting funded

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • DeeterDeeter SO. SF, CAPosts: 135Member

    It's funny because Kickstarters are not obligated to bring you a finished product in a reasonable time frame. They can finish it ten years from now, or never, as long as they keep promising you that "they're working hard on the game" every year or so (like The Last Guardian and Versus 13 in the console realm for example). This is why I hate Kickstarter, and people that actually make a finished product are the exception, not the norm.

  • HrimnirHrimnir Qeynos, COPosts: 1,597Member Uncommon
    Funny what happens when the market doesn't provide for a product that the market wants.  All these people who can't wrap their heads around why someone would fund something ahead of time like this should take a cold hard look at the state of MMOs.  Your answer lies within.

    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

    - Friedrich Nietzsche

  • Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member

    sorry dont trust kickstarters

    hell i keep thinking of starting one that say give me money i wont give you anything in return just to see how much i get.

    bet i would get at least a few hundred

    F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Deeter

    It's funny because Kickstarters are not obligated to bring you a finished product in a reasonable time frame. They can finish it ten years from now, or never, as long as they keep promising you that "they're working hard on the game" every year or so (like The Last Guardian and Versus 13 in the console realm for example). This is why I hate Kickstarter, and people that actually make a finished product are the exception, not the norm.

    that's why its called an investment, a donation, a gamble. Pretty sure people who donate to kickstarter as I have are well aware of the risks. You are funding an idea and hoping that idea will come to light. Kickstarter launched in 2009 and just in the past year has gained more widespread popularity so no one can say kickstarter won't kickstart quality MMOs in the future

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • VitaminKVitaminK Richmond, VAPosts: 59Member
    this game will be epic, welcome back into the fray chris
  • AdminAdmin Santa Fe, NMPosts: 5,037Administrator Common

    All I can tell you is that I sat down with Chris at GDC Austin a few months ago and got to ask him a pile of questions as well as see him demo his game and feel his passion and vision for Star Citizen.  This guy is more or less a childhood hero of mine being that he created games that truely changed PC gaming and my own life forever.  The demo he had put together so far was pretty darn impressive - and I think given the resources this gaming champion is going to blow us all away again.

    While it make take a massive corporation $100M to make an MMORPG I don't think that is necessarily true with smaller organizations that can sidestep all the waste that corporations tend to make.  I feel that Chris & team can pull this off with a fraction of the typical budget.

    For what it is worth I threw it some cash on KS ;-)

    - MMORPG.COM Staff -

  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

    I willing to bet that Chris Roberts will get some major funding from outside the Kickstarter realm.

     

    It's one thing to go to investors with a great design and a working demo. If they don't believe there's a market for your product (or game), they won't give you a penny. But if total strangers are so enthusiastic about your game that they give you $8M (so far !), then it begins to look like there might be a market after all.

     

    At this rate, Chris will be inundated with offers of venture capital....

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,860Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Admin

    While it make take a massive corporation $100M to make an MMORPG I don't think that is necessarily true with smaller organizations that can sidestep all the waste that corporations tend to make.  I feel that Chris & team can pull this off with a fraction of the typical budget.

    Yeah, that is how you turn small company into large corporation - you start wasting money. More you waste, bigger you become.


    Oh dear...

  • RoyalkinRoyalkin Abilene, TXPosts: 273Member

    I'm really sick of the anti-kickstarter crowd. Look, it's a very simply situation. If you like a game well enough, and believe in the designers' vision, support it. If you don't, walk away. How some choose to spend their own money is none of your concern. Stop trying to be the wise sage and herd them away from their own decisions to support something.

    Personally, I'm really tired of being **** on by gigantic corporations who are only interested in producing treadmills disguised as games in order to generate as much profit as possible. Excuse me for parting with a few of my dollars to support someone who believes in making money by creating 'real' games which are fun to play, and not human rat mazes.

    image
    image
    image

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,860Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Royalkin

    I'm really sick of the anti-kickstarter crowd. Look, it's a very simply situation. If you like a game well enough, and believe in the designers' vision, support it. If you don't, walk away. How some choose to spend their own money is none of your concern. Stop trying to be the wise sage and herd them away from their own decisions to support something.

    You are missing the point.

    The problem with Kickstarter isn't the backers but those who are trying to raise their funds.

    Crowdfunding currently, despite in a way looking like legal investment method, has several legal issues - accounting, disclosing responsibility, etc. It does not process legally same way as other investment methods.

    It is a loophole in legal system at the moment and in fact it allows you legally scam people - you can accept payment for future service or goods but never deliver.

Sign In or Register to comment.