Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Neverwinter feel like the game play is similar to WoW?

2»

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Entris38
    Originally posted by Isturi

After viewing a few trailers I feel that the game play is conventently similar to WoW. Of course this is my opionion.

Thoughts??

P.S. this thread was changed as to not infrienge on any prior threads related to recent trailers.

I read through all the posts and I really feel like the best game out there to compare it to is DDO, having played it, it's pretty much copy/paste of DDO and updated with WoW'ish/RIft type of art style. Very simplistic combat, but nothing like WoW, more like any action combat, such as Diablo 3, maybe a bit more complex.

No, you are wrong, it is nothing like DDO.

Maybe people who haven't played it should refrain from saying what they think it plays like?

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    Originally posted by SpectralHunter

NWO has a lot of similarities to Champions Online which is not surprising since we're talking about Cryptic.  The combat and stats are very similiar. 

The obvious major difference is the freeform build.

I also expect similar methods of collecting revenue in NWO: lockboxes, archetypes, probably player housing, mounts...etc.

there wont be lockboxes...also no pay for classes or races... only cosmetics (also mounts / pets) and consumables...

the one thing that concerns me about the gameplay right now is the locking-in-place during skills...i hope they come up with a better solution before release

I don't know where you ae getting that from but you are wrong.  If you did a /cstore in beta you could bring up the store and it had keys for lock boxes for sale.  Also they have already said there will be more classes after launch and it would be silly to assume they will be free.

Cryptic's and PWI's line is as long as you can buy Zen with in game gold anything and everything is fair game in the shop.  

To the op,  not really, it has skill buttons and damage but combat paces very different than WoW.

regarding the free of charge classes, that was some question/topic in one of the development team joined playthroughs on youtube and also a topic on the neverwinter forum

regarding the lockboxes, i thought this was also discussed and answered on the neverwinter forums, have to look for it

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

NWO has a lot of similarities to Champions Online which is not surprising since we're talking about Cryptic.  The combat and stats are very similiar. 

I also expect similar methods of collecting revenue in NWO: lockboxes, archetypes, probably player housing, mounts...etc.

there wont be lockboxes...also no pay for classes or races... only cosmetics (also mounts / pets) and consumables...

the one thing that concerns me about the gameplay right now is the locking-in-place during skills...i hope they come up with a better solution before release

I don't know where you ae getting that from but you are wrong.  If you did a /cstore in beta you could bring up the store and it had keys for lock boxes for sale.  Also they have already said there will be more classes after launch and it would be silly to assume they will be free.

Cryptic's and PWI's line is as long as you can buy Zen with in game gold anything and everything is fair game in the shop.  

To the op,  not really, it has skill buttons and damage but combat paces very different than WoW.

regarding the free of charge classes, that was some question/topic in one of the development team joined playthroughs on youtube and also a topic on the neverwinter forum

regarding the lockboxes, i thought this was also discussed and answered on the neverwinter forums, have to look for it

There will be a handful of free classes and races at launch than new ones will cost Zen to unlock.  You can buy your Zen for gold from people who value there time more than money but the end result to the C level officers of the company is exactly the same.  I don't have a issue with buying classes but I hate lock boxes and am not a fan of how astral diamonds work work at all.  If you really sit back and think about how money flows in game astral diamonds allow the devs to insert Zen into a lot of in game activities that it otherwise wouldn't be.  Keep in mind you can't buy diamonds directly with in game gold and everything you buy/sell on the broker is for diamonds not in game gold.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I just took a peek at the trailer.  Not much to it really, but from what I could gather... it looks like a straight forward dungeon-crawler probably with some RPG customizations.  The combat did look stylized but the game looks to 'cramped' in terms of environment for me to enjoy it.

I'll give it a go when it comes out.   Whatever happen to exploration in RPGs and finding hidden things?  Seems to have gone the way of the dodo sadly.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I just took a peek at the trailer.  Not much to it really, but from what I could gather... it looks like a straight forward dungeon-crawler probably with some RPG customizations.  The combat did look stylized but the game looks to 'cramped' in terms of environment for me to enjoy it.

I'll give it a go when it comes out.   Whatever happen to exploration in RPGs and finding hidden things?  Seems to have gone the way of the dodo sadly.

Not every game needs to be a open world free form game to be enjoyable.  I do agree there has been a lack of good examples of that kind of game of late but that doesn't mean a good dungeon crawler is automatically a bad game.

The combat in NW is pretty slow paced but it doesn't feel bad either.  Attacks have a weight to them that is nice.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

ure right about the lockboxes, read it up, just that they wont be droppable and that they are called treasure chest (e.g. drop after boss fights and the such) - this makes it a bit better, still its bad especially since they clearly stated the shop will contain consumables and cosmetics only - well we dont know yet what these "treasure chest" will contain...if they do only contain consumables and such im ok with it

im ok with paying for classes and races to be honest, but thought that the devs said they wont charge for it...well well see...i have much less issues with paying for another class than i have with lockboxes

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

I'd say it plays more like GW2 or Diablo than compare it to WoW.  The combat is not D&D style of combat.  Before people chime in that it's 4e, Nevewinter MMOified the abilities and really show little resemblence to the 4e abilites beyond name and the power system.  The abilities show little if any resemblence with the abilities as they are in the rule boks not to mention they completely took away feats.  At least with DDO they kept the concepts of many of the abilities and feats even though they had to alter it a bit to fit the MMO system.  Neverwinter I see just a MMO bastardization of a great IP.

Well... WotC have given up on 4e it seems like since they are working on 5e so they just said screw it and do whatever you want to Cryptic.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Not every game needs to be a open world free form game to be enjoyable.  I do agree there has been a lack of good examples of that kind of game of late but that doesn't mean a good dungeon crawler is automatically a bad game.

The combat in NW is pretty slow paced but it doesn't feel bad either.  Attacks have a weight to them that is nice.

Agreed.  Just something I miss, but l will try it to see if it hooks me.   Though I am not a fan of diablo-esque type games.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by evilastro

After viewing a few trailers I feel that the game play is conventently similar to WoW. Of course this is my opionion.

Thoughts??

P.S. this thread was changed as to not infrienge on any prior threads related to recent trailers.

I read through all the posts and I really feel like the best game out there to compare it to is DDO, having played it, it's pretty much copy/paste of DDO and updated with WoW'ish/RIft type of art style. Very simplistic combat, but nothing like WoW, more like any action combat, such as Diablo 3, maybe a bit more complex.

Maybe people who haven't played it should refrain from saying what they think it plays like?

I was thinking the same things about your post? Have you not played it? Being I bought a Guardian pack and played about 10-15 hours on the first beta weekend.It feels very much the same atmosphere, instanced setting as DDO, thought the combat is completely different. My comment was no insult to DDO or NW, it was a compliment, for I very much enjoyed DDO and loved the beta weekend in NW....and will be playing NW . We could also compare NW to other Cryptic titles, STO and champions. I think my opinion is completely valid and no idea where you think i didn't play it. Apparently opinions vary....who would of thought?........

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by evilastro

Thoughts??

I was thinking the same things about your post? Have you not played it? Being I bought a Guardian pack and played about 10-15 hours on the first beta weekend.It feels very much the same atmosphere, instanced setting as DDO, thought the combat is completely different. My comment was no insult to DDO or NW, it was a compliment, for I very much enjoyed DDO and loved the beta weekend in NW....and will be playing NW . We could also compare NW to other Cryptic titles, STO and champions. I think my opinion is completely valid and no idea where you think i didn't play it. Apparently opinions vary....who would of thought?........

You should probably phrase your statement better. You stated it was a copy-paste of DDO; and from someone who played in the beta for a little longer, as well as DDO, and CO, this game really doesn't play like those in basic gameplay and general mechanics (except the UI menus and automatic level progression when compared to CO).

The only similarity I noticed between DDO and NWO was the D&D "feel" interacting with the world.

The instancing aspect being cited as the reason they are a "clone" then could make NWO a TOR copy-paste, a GW copy-paste, and on and on (based on that qualification).

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

wait, someone is asking if a game that has its two main attacks tied to mouse clicks is the same as WoW when virtually every beta video review and preview artical is saying its similar to Tera/vindictus?!?

cant be serious.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Thoughts??

E

B

but is this a bad thing? I mean I never saw anything wrong with WoW's combat. Just tired of the same old classes after a while.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I've had the chance to play it for around two hours, and I can't really compare it to any game I've played before. I'd say the combat is action-RPG-esque, but the feel is good and pleasant. It plays out much like TERA, but with more character control and freedom, less feeling of being "animation-locked", if you will.

I didn't have much time to see what ths storyline is about and only really tried a handful of skills in a Guardian Fighter, but I can say that I can't wait for 8th march to get access the full closed beta weekend.

What NWO is not, is anything even remotely comparable with WoW. Whether that's good or bad, it is for each one to decide.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

After viewing a few trailers I feel that the game play is conventently similar to WoW. Of course this is my opionion. Thoughts?? P.S. this thread was changed as to not infrienge on any prior threads related to recent trailers.

E

B

but is this a bad thing? I mean I never saw anything wrong with WoW's combat. Just tired of the same old classes after a while.

combat is not like wows at all..combat is similar to Tera but somewhat faster pace

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

In earlier versions of the game, the locking in place mechanic wasn't there and you could move all about.  Though the game did not feel visceral enough, and in time they made it so that it would do such, and altered the attack animations so that you really felt each "strike".  This is especially true with the rogue and guardian fighter.  There were other reasons as well, though this is what makes the combat feel so strong and fun at the moment.  You are still technically able to move while attacking, it will just interrupt in most situations (as how can you have pin point accuracy when you're jumping about?).

:3

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.