Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isn't this guy the same guy that hyped up Warhammer Online?

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by craftseeker

Having been motivated into doing some looking around about this project I wonder how City State Entertainment LLC went from being:

"a brand-focused studio creating intellectual property for the mobile, tablet and social networking spaces."

press release published on Business wire 30 Sept 2011.

and a partner of GigaMedia who said on the 22 Nov 2011:

“We are proud to be working with him and thrilled to have him and his newly formed team develop new games and brands with us. By expanding our product offerings to games for Internet-enabled mobile devices, we are positioning ourselves to benefit from the ongoing shift from PCs to mobile computing and the continued strong popularity and growth of social gaming."

To working on his own and about to start a Kickstarter funding project for a (presumably) PC based MMO focussed on RvR PvP?

Also who was the Singapore based partner (hence the city state name) and why was that partnership disolved? (GigaMedia is based in Taipei)

Finally when did he and his team start working on the concept of Camelot Unleashed? 

I have seen the video so at least some work has been done in fleshing out the concept and we have a month or so on this forum.  But it probably did not start before this time last year and may be much more recent than that.

Please note that Mark has responded to substantially the same post in another thread.  He has clearly stated the facts on this speculation and put it to bed entirely.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Too soon to even look at honestly.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Yeah if WAR had players it would still be a good game.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by PeculiarJohn

Not sure if OP is trolling or genuinely concerned.  But...

1) Every new game needs to be promoted.  Otherwise, there would be like 2 subscribers at launch.  For god's sake, mmorpg.com has a "hype meter."

2) Transparency is a HUGE priority in all of this.  The starry-eyed hype is mostly being generated by how incredibly hopeful we all are to see this game launch without a hitch.  We're all going to be more invested in this at launch (assuming that we are the ones who will back the kickstarter effort) than we would be with other games.  Fault the supporters more than City State for any undue hype.

I agree with the white. The peach (pink?) though, seems much too soon.  

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by PeculiarJohn

Not sure if OP is trolling or genuinely concerned.  But...

1) Every new game needs to be promoted.  Otherwise, there would be like 2 subscribers at launch.  For god's sake, mmorpg.com has a "hype meter."

2) Transparency is a HUGE priority in all of this.  The starry-eyed hype is mostly being generated by how incredibly hopeful we all are to see this game launch without a hitch.  We're all going to be more invested in this at launch (assuming that we are the ones who will back the kickstarter effort) than we would be with other games.  Fault the supporters more than City State for any undue hype.

Not sure if satire .

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Satarious
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Hi, not trying to bash the game, but isn't this guy that is speaking for the game to the community, the same exact person that did the massive hyping of Warhammrr Online?

To me, that indicates that he is somebody that knows how to use and exploit hype, to mislead the masses, and paint them a false image of a product based on hype, and exploit many people.

You all should be careful. This should be a big Red Flag. But I am just pointing this out, so that maybe people who are interested in this game would look at it more realistically and no get exploited once again by a MMO developer/publisher....

:-/ 

He's also the legend behind Dark Age of Camelot, which many consider the best pvp mmo.  You can't completely condemn  a man for mistakes he's made, especially when he's upfront and honest about it all and seeking to redeem himself.  Nobody is perfect.  The greats at anything have made mistakes.

Actually Matt Firor was the brains behind DAoC.  Coincidently he is also producing an RvR focused MMO called Elder Scrolls Online.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Hi, not trying to bash the game, but isn't this guy that is speaking for the game to the community, the same exact person that did the massive hyping of Warhammrr Online?

To me, that indicates that he is somebody that knows how to use and exploit hype, to mislead the masses, and paint them a false image of a product based on hype, and exploit many people.

You all should be careful. This should be a big Red Flag. But I am just pointing this out, so that maybe people who are interested in this game would look at it more realistically and no get exploited once again by a MMO developer/publisher....

He's also the legend behind Dark Age of Camelot, which many consider the best pvp mmo.  You can't completely condemn  a man for mistakes he's made, especially when he's upfront and honest about it all and seeking to redeem himself.  Nobody is perfect.  The greats at anything have made mistakes.

Actually Matt Firor was the brains behind DAoC.  Coincidently he is also producing an RvR focused MMO called Elder Scrolls Online.

Here's Matt Frior talking about Mark Jacobs:  "Mark likes to speak his mind on issues that he feels passionately about. Just like anyone else, he's not right all the time – but on MMO issues, he's right more of the time that most people in the industry. He also calls things like he sees them, which can annoy people who aren't used to such directness. But I think Mythic's track record speaks for itself'

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/11/feature/797/Matt-Firor-Formerly-of-Mythic-Ent.html

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Everything he says sounds great, what I am worried about is that a solely RvR experience is basically a step towards an MMOBA (large scale) game. I'm hoping it will have the same retro feel I used to have with DAoC, etc. but without any sort of PvE I do get slightly concerned.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Umm, no. Matt was a key member of the team that produced Dark Age of Camelot. Nobody, even me should take credit for that being the "brains behind DAoC" because that would be an insult to every member of the Mythic team that worked long hours for truly crap pay, weekends, etc. to build the game. As Matt would be the first to tell you himself, I'm sure, Dark Age of Camelot was a game that every member of the team contributed a lot to, everyone. Matt was a great producer, did some fine design work and without him Dark Age of Camelot would not have happened. But, as the story below shows, it was my idea and I was the CEO of the studio as well the guy who brought in the investors, signed the checks, put his name on leases, etc.  And like I said, I won't take credit away from everyone who made Dark Age of Camelot the game it was by simply saying "I was the brains behind DAoC!" no matter how much I did on that game that isn't talked about. Hey, sounds like a scene from Spartacus, the Camelot Years! "No, I'm the brains", "No, I'm the brains!" All we need is some zombies now.:)

Matt Firor is an honorable and honest man, a great guy and he was a fabulous producer/designer/etc. and I'll let his own words tell part of the story.

Link here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131418/postmortem_mythic_entertainments_.php

Also, there are names that Matt did leave out that also played a big role in Dark Age of Camelot's success, names such as Lori & Darrin Hyrup, Scott Jennings, Sanya Weathers, Marty Brown and many more who also played major roles in that game's success. Please don't do them a disservice by giving all credit to Matt or anyone else, including me.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Ah Scott Jennings, I miss his old Lum the Mad site he ran back in the 90's, was great reading it from the UO days.

Would love to see him get on board with CU.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Mark generally just repeated things that his team had told him would be in the game or would work.  He really ended up getting stabbed in the back by a lot of his development team because of this, when things went south.

Thus EA hung him out to dry, used him as a patsy, made him the sacraficial goat.... you get the idea.

I do love these chronological reconstructions for which dev was the Bad Guy and which ones were Innocent Victims, years later and after the fact.

Not insisting you (or anyone) is wrong. Just admiring the gaming culture's ability to create witches as necessary for the desired hunts.

This industry is in dire need of a Cotton Mather.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I'd say TESO is more of a PvE focused MMO that also has RvR. For instance in TESO your PvE gear is also used in RvR which means inevitably you will be forced to raid in order to remain competitive in RvR. Also it sounds like TESO will be similar to WAR and GW 2 in that it will be heavily focused on keep taking. It also has an unusual mega-server system where all players will be on one server then you choose which RvR sub-server to play on. Draw your own conclusions about how well all that will work. For me, those design choices make it appeal to me much less than CU although I'll certainly take a look at it (in beta).

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/game-guide/the-alliance-war

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Yes the it was Paul Barnett who was the publicity guy, and while many do not like him he did what he was paid for and he did it very well.

Now what speaks for this new title is the fact that the PvP was the only part of WAR that was enjoyable (flawed as it might have been) and while i never got on the DAoC wagon i had several friends who did and as far as i gather it had a fairly solid system (even if the expansions did a number on that as i understand it)

So i think this have the potential to be a small but solidly supported nostalgia driven MMO with a good PvP. And as long as it keep it self in the black.. it does not have to be any more then that.

But i also think it is Marks last chance. If this fails it will prove that he had one good game in him and that game is done.

This have been a good conversation

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Isn't this the crowd that hypes up every game?

;)

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by azzamasin Actually Matt Firor was the brains behind DAoC.  Coincidently he is also producing an RvR focused MMO called Elder Scrolls Online.
    I'd say TESO is more of a PvE focused MMO that also has RvR. For instance in TESO your PvE gear is also used in RvR which means inevitably you will be forced to raid in order to remain competitive in RvR. Also it sounds like TESO will be similar to WAR and GW 2 in that it will be heavily focused on keep taking. It also has an unusual mega-server system where all players will be on one server then you choose which RvR sub-server to play on. Draw your own conclusions about how well all that will work. For me, those design choices make it appeal to me much less than CU although I'll certainly take a look at it (in beta).

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/game-guide/the-alliance-war

Yea i cant say i understand the megaserver and how you are meant to have meaningful RvR with that.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

How many game heads have come here to get direct feedback from the most bitter MMO place on the net? That says a lot about him and his mindset right their.

If you also look at his project goals, he isn't trying to generate a million subs, he wants a small niche old school MMO.

Lastly, if you listen to his talk, or read his posts, I can't tell you how many times he has said he is trying NOT to hype it. Naturally this being the net, and most of us desperate for any remotely old school MMO we all went crazy at the notion, despite his efforts ;)

The way Kickstarter works is that basically, 'fans', are your investors. So you have to appeal to those people. Coming on this site is a direct way of pitching to those who can fund he's project.  Obviously if you want to gain the support of people sick of hype, you do your best to encourage the idea your not hyping anything.

Jacobs clearly has a lot of experience pitching and knows how to talk the language of he's audience. I'm pretty sure 10 years ago when he was talking about WAR to investment firms he was mentioning, 'increased revenue projections', or, 'cross branding potential', which would be music to those sorts of people ears as they have the money. It's a useful trick to have in life.

As for the OP yes this guy did hype up WAR.  Many of the devs and their videos did.  Paul Bartnett was the front man,(and the last of the people employed by a company just for their, 'ideas'), but plenty of the people their did hype the game a hell of a lot, which worked as they sold a lot of boxes, (even after they mentioned 4 of the capital cities were cut 6 months before launch), but didn't retain many subs when the problems became apparent.  As head of the studio the buck stops with Jacobs and if he was just reiterating what others told him then he should have spent more time tracking the progress of the project.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I think that was Paul Barnett...

...greatest hype job ever.  Will never believe a word he says again, but he did a GREAT job whipping up excitement for WAR.

This^

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

No, he is not. The legend behind Dark Age of Camelot is Matt Firor and the core development team that left the company when EA acquired Mythic Entertainment. Marc Jacobs stayed and produced Warhammer.

The number one reason for me to most likely stay away from Camelot Unchained is Marc Jacobs himself. I remeber Marc Jacobs letter to the community short after Warhammer release. The community was raging due to certain balancing issues such as DoT stacking of fire wizards. He claimed that they listen to the community and will address the balancing issues etcpp. After a while the first update was released. They increased dmg of almost every class and did not fix any problems that were reported by the community.

Thats a big minus and I prefer sticking to the upcoming Bethesda/Zenimax MMO that concept-wise seems to be like DAoC when it comes to endgame and rvr.

P.S. Best hype job ever was performed by that Aion producer. Unfortunately I can't remember his name. He rolled that big Westerinzation machinery, telling that they put great effort into changing the game to better suit the western playerbas. One year later, in aforum post he said that westernization simply meant to translate (localize) the game ^^

• Lore84Lore84 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Asariasha

No, he is not. The legend behind Dark Age of Camelot is Matt Firor and the core development team that left the company when EA acquired Mythic Entertainment. Marc Jacobs stayed and produced Warhammer.

The number one reason for me to most likely stay away from Camelot Unchained is Marc Jacobs himself. I remeber Marc Jacobs letter to the community short after Warhammer release. The community was raging due to certain balancing issues such as DoT stacking of fire wizards. He claimed that they listen to the community and will address the balancing issues etcpp. After a while the first update was released. They increased dmg of almost every class and did not fix any problems that were reported by the community.

Thats a big minus and I prefer sticking to the upcoming Bethesda/Zenimax MMO that concept-wise seems to be like DAoC when it comes to endgame and rvr.

Originally posted by MarkJacobs

Umm, no. Matt was a key member of the team that produced Dark Age of Camelot. Nobody, even me should take credit for that being the "brains behind DAoC" because that would be an insult to every member of the Mythic team that worked long hours for truly crap pay, weekends, etc. to build the game. As Matt would be the first to tell you himself, I'm sure, Dark Age of Camelot was a game that every member of the team contributed a lot to, everyone. Matt was a great producer, did some fine design work and without him Dark Age of Camelot would not have happened. But, as the story below shows, it was my idea and I was the CEO of the studio as well the guy who brought in the investors, signed the checks, put his name on leases, etc.  And like I said, I won't take credit away from everyone who made Dark Age of Camelot the game it was by simply saying "I was the brains behind DAoC!" no matter how much I did on that game that isn't talked about. Hey, sounds like a scene from Spartacus, the Camelot Years! "No, I'm the brains", "No, I'm the brains!" All we need is some zombies now.:)

Matt Firor is an honorable and honest man, a great guy and he was a fabulous producer/designer/etc. and I'll let his own words tell part of the story.

Link here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131418/postmortem_mythic_entertainments_.php

Also, there are names that Matt did leave out that also played a big role in Dark Age of Camelot's success, names such as Lori & Darrin Hyrup, Scott Jennings, Sanya Weathers, Marty Brown and many more who also played major roles in that game's success. Please don't do them a disservice by giving all credit to Matt or anyone else, including me.

You really should read the thread before posting, that way you can contribute with something which has not already been discussed and corrected.

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur

• madmossymadmossy Member Posts: 9

I actually met PB back in 2008 I think it was at the NEC in birmingham, just before the release of Warhammer online, was a genuinely interesting bloke to talk to and his enthusiasm was bordering on obsessive. 

My personal views on it all though were Mythic were and are a fantastic studio that know how to make MMO's and the only and sole reason Warhammer failed was almost certainly down to the "investors" and publisher wanting a return on the investment immediately.

Had there been no one in the background pulling the strings and had Mythic had the time to polish WAR properly then I'm sure the game would have been a greater success. I really enjoyed the game in beta and saw great potential when release was announced I knew it wasn't ready and low and behold the game tanked.

The same thing happened with SWTOR, it was pushed out the door by greedy investors and publishers before it was even close to be ready.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Boldyn

Isn't this the crowd that hypes up every game?

To be fair, hypes, tries to destroy, or ignores, all three happen fairly regularly. For all that Camelot Unchained (along with ArcheAge and Age of Wushu, to name three) is on the hype train, TESO is the current target for orbital bombardment, and Defiance is nearly entirely ignored.

The interesting thing is to try and figure out why each new game ends up where it does on the list, as well as track the trends -- because, trust me, after battle reports always involve a ton of rewritten history around here.

Usually anything PvP focused or even vague promises of "sandbox-like" play -- the two redheaded step children of MMOs, and for good reason -- guarantees a seat on the hype train, no matter how clear the warning signs that the tracks are out up ahead -- thus Camelot. But TESO is, bizarrely, focusing on PvP (with much talk of the second most rose coloured of all fossilized MMOs, DAoC) and still is mostly on the "savage at all costs for any reason real or imagined" list. I suppose there's a "treading on rose coloured memories" clause in there somewhere, which explains why D3 is a "failure" (lol) around here and ToR closed shop long ago. As for Defiance, I would think that the current NDA would have something to do with it, nothing really you can talk about if you're actually in the know, but I've never really known that to slow people down around here. It's third-person shooter mechanics (not to mention healing) are different, at least for an MMO, something people claim to want around here (never mind that a lot of MMOs that have been very different have come and gone with little note by the denizens of these environs), and Trion has a generally good (if, IMHO, more than a tad inflated) reputation, while, granted, the console-port nature of things weighs heavily on the opposite side of things.

I dunno, it's an interesting exercise, though, watching the hype train leave the station, the inevitable crash, and trying to guess whether the herd will turn on their former precious, ignore all faults and continue to defend it to their dying breath, or move on quietly and pretend they never even heard of it.

Were things just a tad faster paced, it'd make a great drinking game.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Interesting that a lot of you here ether did no know or simply ignoring the facts that 

this guy went to Warhammer Alliance fan forum (the biggest Warhammer Online forum back then) and requested that the MODs 

there would ban and block any negative talk about Warhammer Online.

the mods refused, and he pulled Mythic support from the forum. 

Anybody remember that event? I do, because it was my first taste of this current massive hype train brainwashing trend we have now days.

that seem like some really evil greedy corp level BS, and the community seems to want to forgive and forget and just throw money at these same people that would exploit you in a heartbeat.

who would trust somebody like that again and again, after they have a historic record of exploiting the fans of their product?

I am starting to get the feeling, that MMO consumers enjoy being exploited and seek the pleasure of being exploited time and time again. It's the only reason I can see for somebody to continue down the same path of exploitation.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136

Interesting that a lot of you here ether did no know or simply ignoring the facts that 

this guy went to Warhammer Alliance fan forum (the biggest Warhammer Online forum back then) and requested that the MODs 

Anybody remember that event? I do, because it was my first taste of this current massive hype train brainwashing trend we have now days.

that seem like some really evil greedy corp level BS, and the community seems to want to forgive and forget and just throw money at these same people that would exploit you in a heartbeat.

who would trust somebody like that again and again, after they have a historic record of exploiting the fans of their product?

I am starting to get the feeling, that MMO consumers enjoy being exploited and seek the pleasure of being exploited time and time again. It's the only reason I can see for somebody to continue down the same path of exploitation.

What shall you have us do Mr. Exposed? How long shall we hold this grudge?

It sounds like you were effected by what this "company" did several years ago...  should approch Citystate with bitterness because one member of the development team worked for E.A Mythic?

They do have programs nowdays that assist with Battered Wife Syndrome.. after all, these are just video games right?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    He doesn't have to listen to EA anymore so we're good to go. 
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Don't forget the other half of the story:

1) WHA became a huge site because I started posting there every day, sharing information, talking to the players just as I am doing now. Did that have a huge impact on their traffic? Oh yeah and you could check the forum activity to prove that just as you could simply see the number of page hits CU is getting here. Massively said the said thing on their site as well in regards to CU's impact on their traffic/page hits. FYI, I really liked the WHA guys at the time and was happy to help them boost traffic (which is one of the reasons they were later bought by Curse) at the same time provide an outlet for me to talk to players.

2) I never, ever asked WHA to cut out all negative posts. I asked them the same thing I asked the Vault and stated here publicly as a ground rule for my posting, cut out the personal attacks, harrasment, etc. I don't engage in flame wars (certainly not anymore) and generally (not always, I did have a couple of bad moments back in the Vault days which I do regret and haven't repeated since) my most sarcastic comment back in the Vault days was "Have a cookie, trolls like cookies!" or to ask if somebody was bashing us because our success threatened their favorite game or because they were *asked* to by the game's staff. Nobody should have to read the stuff I've had to read over the years especially when the accusiations are being made by anonymous posters and/or have no idea how things were/are/etc. In WHA's case, I asked them to actually mod the forums as we agreed especially since we were generating so much traffic and revenue for them. Oh, and BTW, I never asked for a cut of that revenue just as I wouldn't here, I simply asked them to do what they said they would do.

3) Curse gaming bought WHA and during beta, there were also some issues relating to certain activities in our beta and with Curse that, at the time, upset us greatly.

4) Curse was also sued (after I left) by Games Workshop just as an FYI. So factor that into your thinking as well.

In all the years that I have been doing games I have never asked any site, whether the IGN Vault, WHA or here to remove all negative posts, not ever and not even on our own forums. What I will always ask is that personal attacks, flames, breaking of NDA, harrasment, constant posting/reposting of the same criticism by the same person again and again and again, etc. be moderated. If that makes me a villain, so be it. I won't allow myself or my team to have to put up with that stuff and I've always instructed them never to flame back at people and, as everyone who has read my posts know, I have always asked posters who support CU never to go out and flame/criticize other developers' games.

You certainly may choose to believe what you wish but if you are going to flame me, at least report the whole story.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment