Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lf a new sandbox mmo

zolfozolfo Member Posts: 42

Im looking for a sandbox mmo that lets players build everything, or at least most things, including ships houses and such and has world pvp.

im tired of games that hold your hand and make 90% of the world safe. i want a dangerouse world where you can be killed by players early on, if not out the gate.

id like to avoid magical games as ive gotten tired of wow style cluttered screens. and preferably free to play

any ideas?

Comments

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,105

I would highly recommend Wurm Online.  To me, it is like smashing Ultima Online and Minecraft together.  Nothing in the game is created by developers; every city you come across is a player built development.  I just started playing it yesterday and it really amazes me that I have never tried or even played this game before.  

Trees can be chopped down or you can grow your own forest.  Mines can collapse on you if not supported correctly.

However this is an Indie title without the constrictions of modern style MMO's, hoever with that comes a fee.  It is dated looking and the animations are from the mid to late 90's.  However if you are truely looking for a game that gives you absolute 100% freedom, you will see right pass that.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• zolfozolfo Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by MacroPlanet

I would highly recommend Wurm Online.  To me, it is like smashing Ultima Online and Minecraft together.  Nothing in the game is created by developers; every city you come across is a player built development.  I just started playing it yesterday and it really amazes me that I have never tried or even played this game before.  

Trees can be chopped down or you can grow your own forest.  Mines can collapse on you if not supported correctly.

However this is an Indie title without the constrictions of modern style MMO's, hoever with that comes a fee.  It is dated looking and the animations are from the mid to late 90's.  However if you are truely looking for a game that gives you absolute 100% freedom, you will see right pass that.

doesnt wurn online have restrictions to free players? ive heard a little about it before and was told free players can do next to nothing in game.

• waffleyonewaffleyone Member Posts: 29

Wurm sounds like a great fit for you. Free players have access to most of the game these days, but skill levels are limited. it's a subscribe-but-not-purchase model, so if you decide you want to jump in it's only about $13 (10 Euros) for 2 months, not a huge investment. You'll know within a couple days whether or not its for you, but it is absolutely worth trying as it meets your listed criteria.

I would highly recommend you jump into the Epic Cluster (Specifically the Desertion server) because the freedom servers are a non-pvp carebear greedy grindy grief-fest.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Wait for EQNEXT.
    ya pvp is a must, its most of the fun for me in any game. ill check it out thanks for helping me out.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Wait for EQNEXT.

Thats what im waiting on, in the meantime ill be playing Darkfall UW when it comes out of beta :P its somewhat sandoxy and PvP from the start and doesnt realy hold your hands It kinda ticks everything ur looking for although City building and Houses could of been improved but it fairly good basicly you cant buildy city where u want/how u want set design and same with houses. But u can build ships and PvP from the get go well out of the tutorial (there is a safezone round starter Npc city thought but may be changed in some degree at somepoint. Game still in beta so things subjected to change aswell. Plenty of Original darkfall clips on youtube to get some idea.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Wait for EQNEXT.

Thats what im waiting on, in the meantime ill be playing Darkfall UW when it comes out of beta :P its somewhat sandoxy and PvP from the start and doesnt realy hold your hands It kinda ticks everything ur looking for although City building and Houses could of been improved but it fairly good basicly you cant buildy city where u want/how u want set design and same with houses. But u can build ships and PvP from the get go well out of the tutorial (there is a safezone round starter Npc city thought but may be changed in some degree at somepoint. Game still in beta so things subjected to change aswell. Plenty of Original darkfall clips on youtube to get some idea.

I tried Darkfall for a day and never went back.  Unfortunately for the devs, that community was one of the worst I've ever seen in my life.  I started playing and asking questions in chat like "Hey guys, I'm new, can anyone tell me what weapons I can use and where I can get them?".  Suddenly chat lit up with every insult I could imagine such as "If you don't know that then get the fuck out of our game and go back to WoW", or "Probably another WoWbaby here crying that the game doesn't hold his hand and give him all the gear he wants right away".

I was floored.  A simple help question and these human turds started treating me like trash.  I left within the day.

As far as sandbox games go, I'm basically playing World of Tanks and waiting for The Repopulation to come out.  It's pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a sandbox MMO, that I didn't get out of EVE while playing it for eight years.

• Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247

I was also looking for something like this while wurm online you build everything very sandboxy character amination does not exist your character slides around, pvp well the year i played there was none.

Darkfall tried it has very bad community there are only 2 games in beta atm that fit that bill Archeage and age of wushu/wulin Archeage is best fit to what your looking for age of wushu/wulin also has most of what your looking for wushu is free to play now just find a cb2 key for unlimited time has a good community, if you can get into closed beta of Archeage it should have everything your looking for.

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267

I have been looking for the same thing the OP has been searching for. The game that most Sandboxers are looking for does no exsist!!

Wurm is good but like someone said, the animation sucks, you are stuck in 1st person all the time which is fine if it had a usable UI, it doesn't! The game is written in and uses Java so the game is VERY limited in what it can give the player as in user friendly interfaces.

Everyone talks about how true open world sandbox games dont work... well ya know there sure is a lot of people looking for one and there is NOT a good current engine, modern genre, truely open world game out there right now... if some company actually listened to the sandboxers and built one... it would probably do what WoW did to the industry years ago! IMO. 

• Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by Tredo

I have been looking for the same thing the OP has been searching for. The game that most Sandboxers are looking for does no exsist!!

Wurm is good but like someone said, the animation sucks, you are stuck in 1st person all the time which is fine if it had a usable UI, it doesn't! The game is written in and uses Java so the game is VERY limited in what it can give the player as in user friendly interfaces.

Everyone talks about how true open world sandbox games dont work... well ya know there sure is a lot of people looking for one and there is NOT a good current engine, modern genre, truely open world game out there right now... if some company actually listened to the sandboxers and built one... it would probably do what WoW did to the industry years ago! IMO. 

Take a look at Archeage Trion picked it up and it's in closed NA beta it's true sandbox with modern graphics remember swg well this put's it to shame sandbox wise.

FEATURES

• Create Your Own Character Class | From a list of 10 abilities, choose any 3 to make your character class.
    • Organize Expeditions | to safely explore the Land of Origin.
    • Establish Your Own Country! | Come to own a piece of the Land of Origin, where you can build your own castle.
    • Build Your Own House | Choose from various sizes and types, for your personal use, or to use as a public shop.
    Just about everything is player crafted and you can decorate your house to make it your own.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

from the top of my head:

salem

archeage

black desert online

greed monger

pathfinder online

the repopulation

- everquest next - wo dont know yet what you will be able to build

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by zolfo

im tired of games that hold your hand and make 90% of the world safe. i want a dangerouse world where you can be killed by players early on, if not out the gate.

I think you mistake sandbox for PVP game as things you are looking for are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Darkfall seem like a game fitting your description quite well.

Originally posted by Gdemami

I think you mistake sandbox for PVP game as things you are looking for are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Darkfall seem like a game fitting your description quite well.

He tried it and didnt like the community, Well if that got to him i dont know how well he would of fit into the game either if u cant let something go and not take it to heart then he wouldnt of worked for him either unless he found a good guild where there a few of them. Unfortuenlty the Guys who have the massive ego there only a few guilds filled with them but they also have a big/load mouth and put anyone else down to put other down.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

He tried it and didnt like the community

Not the same guy as OP :-P

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,105
    Originally posted by MacroPlanet

doesnt wurn online have restrictions to free players? ive heard a little about it before and was told free players can do next to nothing in game.

The only restriction I am aware of is that free players cannot gain skills higher than 20.  Other than that there really is no restriction.  I am currently playing it with my free account and there is a ton of things I can do.

If that doesn't catch your fancy, there is always EVE Online.  Probably has one of the most helpful and best communities in any MMORPG I've played.  Wurm is up there too.  A dedicated and helpful fanbase.  A negative one can turn me off rather quick, such as Tera.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

Originally posted by Gdemami

He tried it and didnt like the community

Not the same guy as OP :-P

o my bad then jumped to conplusion there haha :P

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by Astro6
    Originally posted by Tredo

Take a look at Archeage Trion picked it up and it's in closed NA beta it's true sandbox with modern graphics remember swg well this put's it to shame sandbox wise.

FEATURES

• Create Your Own Character Class | From a list of 10 abilities, choose any 3 to make your character class.
    • Organize Expeditions | to safely explore the Land of Origin.
    • Establish Your Own Country! | Come to own a piece of the Land of Origin, where you can build your own castle.
    • Build Your Own House | Choose from various sizes and types, for your personal use, or to use as a public shop.
    Just about everything is player crafted and you can decorate your house to make it your own.

Was not aware it had reached NA beta yet. I have been watching this game with high anticipation!! Is it invite only?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Yeah, I am looking forward to ArcheAge, couple things I am not certain about, the world looks great, but character models in some videos have looked a little odd....But I understand that, due to probably cutting lag down.

I am also looking forward to EQNext, even though we have not heard much about it, and I am not a huge fan of F2P, just too open to people not having anything to lose and can lead to bad problems.  Subs do not eliminate the problems either, but subs and restricted trial access, if done right cut it down imo.

I have been tempted to go back to UO, but I really do not like the new systems they have in place and skill combinations.

ya i was really exited when i head about Archage im looking forward to that game for sure.

i have been checking out  wurm online and although it has the sandbox stuff im looking for the animations are horrid. the graphics are out dated by about 10 years as well. i cant say if this will hold me very long. perhaps i might have to go back to Xsyon, although its a community oriented game and relies on that to get anywhere.