Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will they hit the 10 million needed to start making the MMO?

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

You need 10 million minimum to make a MMORPG.  Less than that any company will fail, being big, small, or with good ideas. Will they hit that mark with funding?

I am talking base line.  You can toss as much money as you want at something but it can still fail (SWTOR is a good example).  Bare minimum to make a MMO float is 10 million.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

Hi,

Here is the link to the video where Mark explains it out.  Its very clear, and will answer the question to this post. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/26814/Mark-Jacobs-Dishes-On-Everything.html

Here is the cliffnotes version I think. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/18j37h/quick_dirty_summary_of_mark_jacobs_mmorpgcom/

These links should answer your questions completely.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • ScillyScilly Member Posts: 69
    Its only 2mill and then MJ will drop in 3mill. 5mill total for the game to begin dev.
  • synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563
    if i remember right they are shooting for somewhere around 2-3m from KS. I suppose the rest will come from him and other financial backers. However, I do think this game will at least go into development. It will trully be a niche game and I for one will give it a shot just because DaoC made me fall in love with pvp/rvr both in BG and in NF.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

You need 10 million minimum to make a MMORPG.  Less than that any company will fail, being big, small, or with good ideas. Will they hit that mark with funding?I am talking base line.  You can toss as much money as you want at something but it can still fail (SWTOR is a good example).  Bare minimum to make a MMO float is 10 million.

Lets see your calculations, don't just pull a random figure out of your head.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by -Zeno-You need 10 million minimum to make a MMORPG.  Less than that any company will fail, being big, small, or with good ideas. Will they hit that mark with funding?I am talking base line.  You can toss as much money as you want at something but it can still fail (SWTOR is a good example).  Bare minimum to make a MMO float is 10 million.

Lets see your calculations, don't just pull a random figure out of your head.

I would also like to see the numbers.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• CluckingChickenCluckingChicken Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

You need 10 million minimum to make a MMORPG.  Less than that any company will fail, being big, small, or with good ideas. Will they hit that mark with funding?

I am talking base line.  You can toss as much money as you want at something but it can still fail (SWTOR is a good example).  Bare minimum to make a MMO float is 10 million.

10 mil is reasonable if you're one of those run-of-the-mill MMOs that try to appeal to anyone and everyone. This is the exact opposite. They're taking the game back to the niche crowd, where old school MMOs were. No PvE means less money spent on voice acting, new raids every few months, etc. He said it would take around 5 million to release the game at it's core. This guy has tons of MMO and business experience. And then there's you. I think I'll take Mark's word over yours.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

It all depends on feature set and the amount of artwork required.  10 million could be low for a complex project or quite high for one that's less resource intensive.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Where did you get this 10 million figure? You can do great projects with way less. Look at Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous.

On the other hand, god knows how BW was able to spend 200 Million on SWTOR though. Probably free Ferraris for everyone including the cleaning personnel..

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by FromHell
    Where did you get this 10 million figure? You can do great projects with way less. Look at Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous.On the other hand, god knows how BW was able to spend 200 Million on SWTOR though. Probably free Ferraris for everyone including the cleaning personnel..

Gonna have to be that guy, but star citizen hasn't released yet :P

You can figure they spent +700k on their engine though, possibly 1.4m, its hard to get a proper number on what that engine costs.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.