Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Which payment model is ideal for ESO?

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf
    Originally posted by SuperNick

The PVP is going to be stuctured. The raids at end game will be repeatable. There will not be Game Master supported events monthly. Paying a monthly fee to wait for content updates every 6 months at best doesn't work out.

They will not pull away the drones who support World of Warcraft with that type of model to support subscriptions.

If it launches sub, it'll go B2P or F2P in less than a year. 

Why say this? It's not even a prediction. History proves it.

History proves what? For all you know the game will herald a new era and hit 20 million players in the first 3 months.

Citing some kind of vague comparison like "omg look at SWTOR" is not even remotely proof. That was a garbage game, end of.

The only two games which uphold their subscription model well right now are Rift and WoW. Both provide regular content updates. New zones, raids, items, dungeons and class balances. WoW launched Mists of Pandaria less than 6 months ago and has already had dozens of new items, new raids and is very close to adding a huge mini-expansion with the Throne of Thunder.

Rift consistently adds dungeons, items and raids - so much so the community can sometimes not keep up.

These games are both examples of why a sub model can work well.

Now if you look at some F2P or B2P counterparts.. well, last time I logged into GW2 it looked like next to nothing had changed since last September. No new zones, ONE new dungeon, some kind of sad attempt at a gear progression with the new tier of gear.. but not a lot else. All that in 6 months? Pathetic.

Wanna bet? TESO isn't doing anything but slapping the Elder Scrolls name on another Secret World / SWTOR sort of deal. Very minor innovation, same ol' 2004 progression system.

RIFT didn't have the budget that TESO had behind it. They're okay with 100k subs, that's profitable for them. TESO will not have the same luck. 

I'm just wondering where the other 150k subscribers went from Rift last time I played yesterday. Even if TESO is a copy/paste of MMORPG standards it's going to be wildly successfull off brand name alone. Don't get me wrong I hope it is unique.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Even if TESO is a copy/paste of MMORPG standards it's going to be wildly successfull off brand name alone. Don't get me wrong I hope it is unique.

it is?

SWG, which was Star Wars BTW, never topped 400k.

LoTRo...

Warhammer...

DCO...it has Batman and Superman, two of the most recognized IPs on planet earth.

AoC...Conan is a massive IP.

Big name does not = success and there is enough hate for this game on the offical Skyrim and Oblivion forums, not to mention the biggest mod sites that there is a good chance this game wont be a success with anything other than a B2P or F2P model thanks to their making this game to target DaoC fans and not fans of the IP itself, sure SOME fans are going to want it, others are going to look at the massive limitations being placed on the game with old outdated MMO ideas and pass, because its TES in name only. Most TES fans want an OPEN WORLD with no faction/race limitations and sure as hell dont want themepark based PvP limited to ZONES...they sure as hell dont want what is sure to be a peen fest with the ability to elect an emperor to the winning PvP faction.

All hail Legolaaassz Shootnurface of LoLz guild!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Even if TESO is a copy/paste of MMORPG standards it's going to be wildly successfull off brand name alone. Don't get me wrong I hope it is unique.

it is?

LoTRo...

Warhammer...

DCO...it has Batman and Superman, two of the most recognized IPs on planet earth.

Big name does not = success and there is enough hate for this game on the offical Skyrim and Oblivion forums, not to mention the biggest mod sites that there is a good chance this game wont be a success with anything other than a B2P or F2P model thanks to their making this game to target DaoC fans and not fans of the IP itself, sure SOME fans are going to want it, others are going to look at the massive limitations being placed on the game with old outdated MMO ideas and pass, because its TES in name only. Most TES fans want an OPEN WORLD with no faction/race limitations and sure as hell dont want themepark based PvP limited to ZONES...they sure as hell dont want what is sure to be a peen fest with the ability to elect an emperor to the winning PvP faction.

Which i tend to agree with, Zenimax used the wrong IP to try and create another DAoC clone, and given how large the TES modding community etc is, the word of mouth thing is going to be a very large factor against ESO's success. They are in effect, setting themselves up to fail, and fail hard. The fact that they are also not listening to the TES community itself will negate any positive spin Zenimax even tries to come up with in the future image

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

The PVP is going to be stuctured. The raids at end game will be repeatable. There will not be Game Master supported events monthly. Paying a monthly fee to wait for content updates every 6 months at best doesn't work out.

They will not pull away the drones who support World of Warcraft with that type of model to support subscriptions.

If it launches sub, it'll go B2P or F2P in less than a year. 

Why say this? It's not even a prediction. History proves it.

History proves what? For all you know the game will herald a new era and hit 20 million players in the first 3 months.

Citing some kind of vague comparison like "omg look at SWTOR" is not even remotely proof. That was a garbage game, end of.

The only two games which uphold their subscription model well right now are Rift and WoW. Both provide regular content updates. New zones, raids, items, dungeons and class balances. WoW launched Mists of Pandaria less than 6 months ago and has already had dozens of new items, new raids and is very close to adding a huge mini-expansion with the Throne of Thunder.

Rift consistently adds dungeons, items and raids - so much so the community can sometimes not keep up.

These games are both examples of why a sub model can work well.

Now if you look at some F2P or B2P counterparts.. well, last time I logged into GW2 it looked like next to nothing had changed since last September. No new zones, ONE new dungeon, some kind of sad attempt at a gear progression with the new tier of gear.. but not a lot else. All that in 6 months? Pathetic.

Wanna bet? TESO isn't doing anything but slapping the Elder Scrolls name on another Secret World / SWTOR sort of deal. Very minor innovation, same ol' 2004 progression system.

RIFT didn't have the budget that TESO had behind it. They're okay with 100k subs, that's profitable for them. TESO will not have the same luck. 

I'm just wondering where the other 150k subscribers went from Rift last time I played yesterday. Even if TESO is a copy/paste of MMORPG standards it's going to be wildly successfull off brand name alone. Don't get me wrong I hope it is unique.

250k is their number, I'm just saying 100k is profitable for them. They could have half a mil. 

TESO will need double that just to be considered a minor success. If news broke after a year that they didn't have half a million subscriptions then it's right to B2P for them. THUS history repeating itself from the latest themeparks.

So they should save time and just launch GW2 style.

a yo ho ho

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

What I wonder is where they going to get their sub from.  The mmorpg genre isn't even that big.

So they have to steal sub from many other mmorpg. 

Also, developer this days try to hide their financial and sub numbers.  Even their funding is a bit off base.  Just because TESO got many funding dont' mean they going to spend all that money, or all that money right now.

And I dont' think anyone know the budget of TESO, just like no one knows the budget of GW2.  So everytime people tell me GW2 or TESO is such high budget blah blah, I just say they dont' know a thing. 

No one knows the budget for TESO, except Bethesda.  Only thing people do know is their online division got a large funding.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by jtcgs

it is?

LoTRo...

Warhammer...

It's too late to get the DAoC fans now, Camelot Unchained have been announced.

Currently what I see with ESO is exactly the same thing that happened with SWTOR. From design to marketing. The only difference seems to be that SWTOR went for innovative, to soft-trinity to hard-trinity in the span of a year (this is what happen when you only take pro-raiding guilds for beta testing).

ESO recieve backlash when it was announced wish forced Zenimax to move more toward the single player Elder Scrolls games. Basically, I suspect they rewrote their entire gameplay system in the last year. The problem though is that to have excellent change of being accepted to their beta you have to enter a guild name...

Finally, if ESO is a subscription based game I expect it to move toward F2P at the same speed as TSW and SWTOR did: aka under a year.

• The_ArgoThe_Argo Member UncommonPosts: 15

F2P or B2P

I never want to pay a monthly sub for a game again, I am more than willing to support with cash shop items.  Everyone should get the same basic content.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I vote for b2p box + a la card sub, means you can open or use some features you like for time you payed for, or even one time payment (if it easier to manage), well any model where you can keep access to your account even when you don't pay sub.

I don't think free to download would be correct for such nice looking (hope enjoyable to play too) game.

I don't like pure sub model only because it limit your account access time you can't pay sub, so would be an issue for me (I don't mind if I can just log on but not really play).

I don't mind Item Shop for cosmetic in game items or even special items (non needed but great looking mounts, pets etc), or souvenir shop, but I prefer to have it outside a game (GW1, WoW, Atlantica).

I prefer not to get my game ruined by "buy might" or push you to Item Shop issue.

All this is IMO for sure.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    P2P Subscription. It's the best way to avoid 75% of MMO asshats.

Have you played wow?

Yea, At first I was thinking closer to 50%, but my optimism got the best of me. Just can't stand the attitude of most F2P game jumpers.

Yeah, I got the best community experience with P2P games like DAoC, WoW Classic to Burning Crusade or Warhammer Online.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by boxsnd

I'm surprized so many want sub. Personally, I would go B2P with a cash shop. It's one of the few things GW2 got right.

Going P2P in 2013 is a huge risk, either you win it all (WoW) or you lose it all (almost everyone else).

B2P on the other hand can make even average games like GW2 financially successful, and give them time to improve even after launch.

Most companies don't support their games well with the F2P model and would likely do the same for a B2P model, ANet is probably going to be the only exception.  P2P puts a greater pressure on the developers to keep things fixed and updated as much as possible.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I'm going with the WoW model since B2P only ends up turning into Pay to Win over time, much like Guild Wars 2.  $15 a month is not all that much if you have a job.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    P2P for the win. If they offer free to play I hope they put a lot of limitations on it.

Gw2 use kind of a weird model.

I felt GW2 is designed exactly like those pay 2 win asian f2p games.  Except in those f2p asian games people buy power, in GW2 people buy expensive cosmetic items.

If you think buying expensive cosmetic skins is pay 2 win that's your opinion.  But I think most people dont' agree with that.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

lmao @ Rift...come out shit talking the competition yet never reveal how well your own game did. from 100 servers down to 8 in  a year...with all this lauded content, lol. and the 8 us servers open now only 4 get past medium at peak times...they could chop it down to 5 servers and be fine...right on the heels of an expansion. rofl.

EoN was soo bad in beta they shelved it...lmao @ TRION. i guess the way to do P2P in the F2P age is to talk a lot of shit and have nothing to show for it?

Rift had 100 servers in February of 2012? Where did you find that info?

And with your opinion of the game, I'm surprised you still have intimate knowledge of the server stats. What keeps you logging in regularly and paying for a subscription if you think it is such a wasteland?

No offense, the guy did seem a bit self-deluded; but talk about the other end of the spectrum.......

Originally posted by Zorgo

lmao @ Rift...come out shit talking the competition yet never reveal how well your own game did. from 100 servers down to 8 in  a year...with all this lauded content, lol. and the 8 us servers open now only 4 get past medium at peak times...they could chop it down to 5 servers and be fine...right on the heels of an expansion. rofl.

EoN was soo bad in beta they shelved it...lmao @ TRION. i guess the way to do P2P in the F2P age is to talk a lot of shit and have nothing to show for it?

And with your opinion of the game, I'm surprised you still have intimate knowledge of the server stats. What keeps you logging in regularly and paying for a subscription if you think it is such a wasteland?

No offense, the guy did seem a bit self-deluded; but talk about the other end of the spectrum.......

But he does have a point. 

Just because all of you demanded a subscription model and willing to pay 15$ a month don't mean you guys going to play that long.

Maybe best model is for TESO to sell box first and go with sub model.  And see how things go on the way.  Just like you know... many of those p2p games turning f2p.  Maybe TESO will do so well that they dont' need to turn into f2p.  But who knows?

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by laokoko
    Originally posted by Zorgo

But he does have a point. 

Just because all of you demanded a subscription model and willing to pay 15$ a month don't mean you guys going to play that long.

Maybe best model is for TESO to sell box first and go with sub model.  And see how things go on the way.  Just like you know... many of those p2p games turning f2p.  Maybe TESO will do so well that they dont' need to turn into f2p.  But who knows?

Well, I should have stayed more on topic.

My preferred model is buy a box and have a sub option, as long as with the sub option you don't need the cash shop for anything. Whether they have a f2p option is a fact of modern mmo life I've made my peace with. 

Because as you pointed out; people are not sticking with games long enough for them to survive on a sub only model anymore. 

The people have spoken with their wallets. If a game strikes a chord with enough people for long enough, they will pay a sub for years. But these days, that is the exception to the rule, either due to oversaturation of the market, games not as good as they once were, or a combination of factors, but whatever the cause; f2p games are staying alive, sub games are dying.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

The best answer will always be a subscription to the game world.

That doesn't mean alot, just depending on how featured each game is. (Just like a cable channel). Some games might charge $2.99/month, while other games $9.99/month. Leaving the premium market for the full-featured adult games @ $15 ~ $30/month.

Now, if games implamented a political side (ala Vanguard), they could allow cash shops for Bravado and Majesty.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

GW2 system is just simply brilliant!

I had my doubts and loudly voiced sceptisism, but they truly proved my fears to be wrong!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

It's an interesting question to pose if we were directly talking to Zenimax.

Ultimately we're looking at a crowd that is not used to monthly payments (Elder Scrolls) versus a crowd that has "been there, done that" and ultimately looking for new payment models (such as box payment and cash shop) among other things.

To be the most financially successful?  I'd have to go with a Box Price with a cash shop and optional subscription for those who want a subscription only server (that can also transfer to other servers to play with friends and back at will).

Though since they have a Mega server I don't know how that would work.  Personally I won't play the game past the first month if there's a subscription as I already have like five games.  In addition, my girlfriend is expressing interest in playing new online games, so I'll probably be paying for her monthly as well soon enough.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

Sub like wow! If the game is good!

Less cheaters and less crap!

Yes, there are cheaters and crap in WoW aswell but I did say LESS didn't I?

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Useless question is useless imo. Doesn't matter what payment model they pick, a crap ton of people will play/buy/subscribe this game.

But on another thing, anyone else keep thinking of Ether Saga Online when they see ESO?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• EbonheartEbonheart Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Miklosan

Sub like wow! If the game is good!

Less cheaters and less crap!

Yes, there are cheaters and crap in WoW aswell but I did say LESS didn't I?

This is one of the more important reasons to have a P2P monthly subscription which most players routinely overlook.

F2P games are overflowing of hackers. Why? Because you can keep on making accounts after bans and continue hacking. There is no mitigating factor that would influence them to stop hacking, other than game death or something like that.

P2P systems require an account to have paid the monthly fee. Thus, when your account is banned for hacking (unless you are extremely rich) you would have to purchase another subscription. Problem solved.

B2P is somewhere in-between, but closer to P2P in terms of reduced hacking. However, B2P isn't a reliable source of income in the long term so a cash shop will emerge, or they will introduce "gold status" supscription types that put restrictions on free players and generally piss everyone off.

With all-around P2P you don't have to worry about any of these problems.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Considering that we have entered the age of "F2P", I'm surprised how many voted for the sub model. Fascinating.

Anywho, I personally won't be touching this title unless it is subscription based.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Might as well just go B2P.  No point in making it P2P since it would just become F2P in a year anyway and save themselves the trouble.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Sub.

Make it a level playing field.

WoW does have microtrans though.