Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you buy GW2 now, after you have played it?

Comments

• Schoeneck93Schoeneck93 Member Posts: 70

Game is solid, there's already massive content releases, EVERY Bug reported by the community has been fixed on the spot, the dev team has worked side by side WITH the community on the forums day-by-day, everything about this game is smooth-flowing, I have a theory, I see people saying this, about EVERY game that has come out over the past couple years. Not just one game. Not just two. Not just three, four or five, or eight or ten. ALL, OF, THEM. 

So listen to this, I think we are becoming DESENSITIZED to the content, and what usd to make us excited and feel like we were in some sort of awesome fantasy world where everything was under our control, now just seems boring. All of it. I play any game for a while, and get instantly fucking bored. It's annoying. I start to think about it, and I AM DESENSITIZED. 

It's the truth, and once you start to look at yourself, how you USED to look at games, and how you look at them now, and it is the truth. Guild Wars 2 is a game that totes a lot, but walks the walk every step of the way. It has everything they claimed to have. It IS IMPRESSIVE. Yet, I'm bored by it. 

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

Only IMHO, this game last like 3 months, then became "old" or "boring" so not exciting or fun for many of us. 

If a game is fun for three months and then gets boring, that's pretty good, don't you think?  A lot of games won't make it to three hours before they get boring.

I measure MMOs differently from single player games...To me a MMO should be epic and last years.....THe ones I have enjoyed the most also lasted me the longest....If I only get a couple months enjoyment out of a MMO then it wasnt that good of a game for me....Thats why they need to quit making MMOs for short term entertainment and focus on what used to make them last.

You do realize people change right? Stop blaming the devs and start blaming yourself. The internet has changed you, me, society. This isn't some conspiracy bullshit either. The attitude towards mmos is completely different than it was back when EQ was a major powerhouse mmo or WoW was actually good and mmos actually consumed years of a persons live and they enjoyed every bit of it.

Our tastes have changed and morphed into something devs can't keep up with so its not their fault if their creations only last us months whereas 10 years ago, it would have been a couple years if not more.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• teethteeth Member Posts: 67

Only IMHO, this game last like 3 months, then became "old" or "boring" so not exciting or fun for many of us.

Pretty much the same story for me. Though, tbh, it was a kick-ass 3 months before the "new wore off". Like some others have said, that's still a pretty good return on a $60 game. The PvE is kind of short and sweet and both the SPvP and WvW are really good, but they do get old, just like all other games. GW2 is still a great buy for the money, though.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

It's a great game and well worth the money. Not only do you get a lot more hours per dollar spent than most games, but you're getting a ton of great free DLC in a huge persistent multiplayer world. Whether that comes as expected or not because it's classified as an MMO, it's a simple fact that you easily get your money's worth. I can understand people just not liking the gameplay, but I can't understand people that say they enjoy the game but feel ripped off here. ArenaNet did a great job here and continues to keep it an awesome experience worth going back often to play new events and content.

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

If it was 39.99 I would be happy right now.  As people have mentioned you put MMOs in a different category than console games money wise, with that said that only game I've bought in like the last year is Call of Duty BO2.  Everything else gets gamefly'd, which is another difference between MMOs and single player.

You also can't forget the fact that pretty much anyone that has played more than a few months has bought gems.  I'd say they're into me for 100+ which is about what a subscription MMO would have.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

If a game is fun for three months and then gets boring, that's pretty good, don't you think?  A lot of games won't make it to three hours before they get boring.

It's good, for a video game, but that doesn't mean it's also good for an MMO.  

I think for a lot of MMO'rs, this genre is about something potentially much bigger than just another game genre.  These are the first 'alternate realities' in a way, an experience that has a whole other dimension on realness to it, due to the shared multiplayer experience, in a persistent world.  It doesn't necessarily even have to be a game, because it're really something much bigger, that's just mostly used for gaming.  At least, for now.

There's the potential for so much more though.  Honestly, I don't get what's taking it so long to move in that direction, but at the very least, I'd like to see a bit more of that potential, in our gaming.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• OsoPrimeOsoPrime Member Posts: 3
    Yes I would, it's basically the only MMO I play these days. I especially dig the fact that I can go play other things for a few days or weeks and come back and not have to worry about losing my raid spot because I wasn't taking the game seriously enough. 
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    No I would not.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Just horrible noob PvP mechanics and everything else is about as boring as watching paint dry. So no, I don't like "lite" versions of MMORPG like GW2. 
  • BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141

Yes i would still buy it why not it was fun for awhile.

Wait,s till 5 months after ESO comes out so i can see the same questions and the same answers from people , you know its going to happen .

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well half says yes i love it and no other stage, but those who hate are not so sure...

they just hate it cause it doesnt meet their imagination, i feel sorry for them they will never enjoy anything ...

• ElquinElquin Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I have 3 lvl 80 characters, 1 with map completion and the other 2 close behind and an additional 5 character slots with characters ranging from 30-66. One of each class. I can honestly say that I've never played a game so enjoyable as GW2. This isn't my first MMO... See my signature. I've played them all and enjoyed quite a few. I went into a period of time where games were not able to hold my attention and grew boring fast. I had been looking at GW2 for a while and thought I'd give it a try since there was no monthly sub. I was blown away. I love the world of Tyria, I love how vastly different each class is and how the classes alone make the game feel enitrely refreshing. You're free to play casually or hardcore... nothing and no one is forcing you to play any way but your own. The amount of content that's released has been amazing and the Holiday events are mindblowing. With all of that said... I would definitely buy GW2 knowing what it would be like now at this point. I might have been hesitant to try it at first, but I'm completely sold and still enjoying the game.

Playing- GWII.
    Played-VSoH, EQII, DF, PotBS, AC2, UO, AO, FFXI, WoW, EQII, DDO, KO, VSoH, CoH/CoV, LOTRO, GB, SWG, TR.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Probably not. While I did enjoy the game, certain aspects of it killed any enjoyment I could've gotten from it.

The lack of trinity was a great idea and I welcomed it. After playing GW2 I have come to realize MMOs NEED that trinity. GW2 is a huge cluster of zerging and hoping for the best. Boss battles are so watered down because no one can be a true tank that they have no real throught built into them.  

Dungeons. This one is mainly because of the lack of trinity. Doing dungeons in GW2 is just frustration and I avoid them like a plague.

ArenaNet going back on their manifesto. The moment they announced ascended gear I knew it was the end of my time playing. A horizontal gear grind is fine, but adding a vertical one is something I didn't sign up for. Add on other minor issues like the global AH being a complete flop, and Dynamic events not being dynamic at all, and slowly it adds up to a game I just despise.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

I do not regret buying the game, but I doubt I would have bought the game knowing what I know now, even though.. deep down.. I already knew.. To me over all the game felt like plastic with a pretty wrapper around it.

I do think its a decent game, the game definately has alot of strong points, but I gues the game just isnt my thing, maybe when the game matures a bit I may return to it, thought right now I cant see myself return to it but you never know.

I do think overall the game was good for the genre, not because of the bussiness model , but more because it moved slightly away from the overly done chewed out model, variation is good, even more so when a less-then-regular game design actually being successfull, which could inspire other developers and investers to move forward instead of staying in the stalemate designs we have today. We do need more flavor in the mmo market and we need more flavors being successfull.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I bought the game had a decent amount of fun for 3 weeks but stop playing while I moved to Europe started playing again a month later but DEs were now me and sometimes 2 other people while leveling. I found the repetitive structure of the DEs boring without playing with groups of people. Thus in hindsight I wouldn't have picked this game up. But I think the game has some potential so maybe an expansion or so in I'll change my mind.
  • dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I have logged over 1600 hours and have 5 level 80 toons and still play gw2 every chance i get..

Playing GW2..

• XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by dageeza

I have logged over 1600 hours and have 5 level 80 toons and still play gw2 every chance i get..

Wow, you've been playing 10 hours per day since release? Damn, I wish I had your life :)

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I only bought it after I played Beta because my friends did. Already knew the game was very lacking as a actual MMO.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      I only put about 20 hours into the game..my top toon is level 30ish...I still dont regret the money spent..though $3/hour for distraction is a little high..ok I do regret a little bit :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Agree.  3 months of play is well worth the price in my opinion.  Normal entertainment for that period of time is normally much more expensive.

I self identify as a monkey.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Best game I ever bought. I'm sure I'll stil be playing it well past the 1000 hour mark. I've never bought a game before that could keep me entertained for so long. Most bang for the buck ever so far.

imageimage
  • shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    yeah i would...it brought me for a while...if i didnt play it my mind would have wondered what would have become. as long as no expansions come out i will still log from time to time...so it does still have time to win me over for the long haul
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    yep, it makes all the other MMO's look like last weeks news. I could never go back to a connect the dots MMO again

I miss DAoC

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Nope. For some reason the game didn't really sink on me and it's one of the mmorpgs that I've actually had to force myself to play a bit. Like trying to go further and see what all the hype was all about. But GW2 isn't the only one on that list so nothing new in that. I guess it's just me being picky.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    I voted 'Other' because I no longer give any money to NCSoft.   Despite enjoying GW2, and viewing their developers as quite talented, I wouldn't buy it again for that reason.   Being able to drop in and out at any point and continue playing is great.  Love the fact that it is not a cookie cutter medieval fantasy pastiche.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.