Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Path of Exile: The Hidden Gem of the Year

Comments

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I don't understand why you can't respec. Why should someone make an entirely different toon to try a different spec? Game sucks
  • Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

Game is a 9/10 for me, only thing that needs improving is some of the combat fluidness. 

How this game scored lower in innovation than D3 and TL2 is completely beyond me, but it just highlights how completely arbitray and bullsh*t these types of ratings are. 

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    PoE is a great game. Far superior to D3 but my only complaint with it is the no respec. Other then that I enjoy it a lot.
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173

I wonder how much developers payd for this "review", gem? lol, honestly while i played in act 1 i had feeling that everything made from shit, ess ground - it is their graphics, combat and movement animation clunky, items looks weird (remember that shield in your inventory) and their omg new big innovative skill system is not more than 95% +10 attlitube "choise".

"Far superior to D3"  /loled 

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Originally posted by pinktailz

I wonder how much developers payd for this "review", gem? lol, honestly while i played in act 1 i had feeling that everything made from shit, ess ground - it is their graphics, combat and movement animation clunky, items looks weird (remember that shield in your inventory) and their omg new big innovative skill system is not more than 95% +10 attlitube "choise".

"Far superior to D3"  /loled 

What really makes me chuckle about this is that the majority of people that played D3 that now play PoE have all said that PoE is a superior game. Myself included. 

Now, I like D3, but it is just so lacking. When I play with people online, everyone seems to be down this cookie cutter build. Especially Demon Hunters. With PoE I've never played with someone who has the 'same' build as I do. It is also one of the few games to which I have more than 2 alts because of the amount of things I want to try and build upon. 

The graphics are fine, there is no 'clunk' as you refer to it, it just doesn't have the 'flashy' overtone of D3 and quite frankly I am not impressed by big flashy graphics. At the end of the day D3 has a cartoon look to it and PoE has a more realistic approach to it. Both have good animations but typically things that are cartoon wil always look better. Super mario jumping all over the place seems a much more enjoyable 'visual' experience than say watching someone in call of duty jump around. The graphics are not bad, just differen't. 

Not to mention this is a free game to play and the amount of love and work that has gone into it and continues to be invested into it. Let's see where PoE is compared to D3 is in one years time for now. By that time PoE will have Act 3 extended and Act 4 added, we shall see whats new in D3 at that time, hey, perhaps you might even have proper PvP added by then.

• stefanakisgrstefanakisgr Member UncommonPosts: 38

This is a game that will change the world of action RPG's . I agree with this review on many things , though I would score aesthetics higher , 8.5 to 9 . Its longevity is great also .

But for me , a game is a blur . A blur of atmosphere , music , excitement , reward and risk , action . What I mean is , that a game needs not to be perfect in every way , but to be able to draw me in , make me care about my char , the story , and not break the illusion every now and then .  And I dont care if its a clone or anything else really .Some old things some new things , who cares . A game has only one prerequisite , to be fun .

And this one is .

• NexusCZNexusCZ Member UncommonPosts: 56

ROFL compare this game to D2, i dont want to waste my time into details but it sux hardly and its definitely NOT fun to play

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Not sure reviewer played enough or enough builds. The skill tree seems cool because it looks likeyou will have all these choices, but its an illusion, and non defense builds are mostly gimp. At this point the tree is as much a con as a pro.

The game has plenty of other shortcomings. Lack of skills, trading being a horrible experience, clunky combat. Its a good game, and I would score it similarly, but only because its free for now.Yes, for now.

Kind of getting tired of people saying only defensive builds are viable... hey if you play Hardcore yes defensive builds are required because... wait for it... IF YOU DIE YOU ARE DONE.

In Softcore you can use any build you want, glass canon, hybrid, pure defense... anything. ARPG have always been this way. 

To complain about it makes no sense there are over three dozen unique builds i can think of off the top of my head for Harcore and many, many more for softcore. It's not an illusion there really are hundreds of builds in this game. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• DesirsarDesirsar Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Oof, was expecting a proper MMORPG, glad I did not do a preorder.  Excellent review, now I know I don't need to try it.  :)
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Well considering it takes 45 mins to download and it's free to play, it's worth a try to form your own opinion. It isn't a mmorg or mmo though as per discussions elsewhere and definition by the devs.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Would have played except for the genderlocked classes and with all ranged/casters being female. Dumb move.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Would have played except for the genderlocked classes and with all ranged/casters being female. Dumb move.

Did you skip D2 becuase of that as well or is that game before your time?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by rodingo

Did you skip D2 becuase of that as well or is that game before your time?

I played a melee in D2 and I did not much like it. I prefer casters.

• AlluraAAlluraA Member UncommonPosts: 9

Yamota,

I don't much care for lack of customization or genderlocks in characters either, but if it bothers you that much, the classes aren't exactly set it stone. 

Three of the classes are mixed attribute, and are good with a number of weapons and even the ones that are based only on one attribute in terms of their beginning stats and location in the skill tree do well with ranged/caster weapons and builds. 

i.e. there are some decent bow builds for the duelist, a male player character, and the shadow (also a male player character) is intelligence/dexterity. 

Rodingo,

The necromancer and druid were both male in D2.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Really?  That's why you skipped it?  Because you refuse to play a gender you don't want to play?  Thats probably the worst reason to ever not play something because it amounts to less then 1% of what makes a game.

Also, it shows that you don't really know much about the game because every class can become ranged or intellect based caster.  That's the beauty of the skill tree, you can go multiple routes despite what class you start with.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

A Shadow (male) can be either a ranged bow user or a caster. Either are perfectly viable options. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

"Global chat channels keep you entertained through solo-slogs"

The review points out what global is mostly used for in a MMO today and raised a smile.

• mindmeldmindmeld Member UncommonPosts: 229

Which game would bring back the old ooc channel  and not mix it up with global chat channel.

In pretty much every online rpg  game global chat has game related and off game related info which makes it a pain to read.

Most of the i have to turn it off. I miss a lot of information but i have no choice.

-Semper ubi sub ubi!
    always wear underwear

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Review basically spot on..

POE is a stand out game and the best ARPG to be released for a long time. I dont think i would have marked innovation so low, yes its similar to other ARPGs but thats liek saying COD or BF are FPS games and marking them down because of that LOL..

[QUOTE] Would have played except for the genderlocked classes and with all ranged/casters being female. Dumb move. [/QUOTE]

You can build your character any way you want really.. even the melee fighters can be changed into really good ranged classes.. During closed beta I turned my Witch into an awesome melee fighter..

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Cothor

I don't understand why you can't respec. Why should someone make an entirely different toon to try a different spec? Game sucks

You pick up re-spec orbs all the time or whatever they are called.. I have well over 10 and im not out of act 1 yet..

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I was never a huge Diablo fan - I enjoyed it to a certain degree, but not my favorite type of game.

Having said that, I've been looking at this one, and I have to admit it looks pretty good.  I'll have to give it a shot.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• jlbombajlbomba Member Posts: 17
    not much of a learning curve at all, easy to learn slice and dice.  simply put it is a fun game to play
  • JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62

I don't have any MMOs currently I can say what I'm about to say about PoE . 

I like this game... =)

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."

• xiptonxipton Member UncommonPosts: 4
    left mmo,s for arpg,and this one is by now the best... :D

PoE: Adavel LVL.48(C.A2) Xipton LVL.51(C.A3) <>D3 5x60(P1-15)<>T2 Xip=88 ng++

• C3llTherapyC3llTherapy Member Posts: 15

Completely addicted to this game and love the challenge. Absolutely love the skill, loot, and progression system. This game brought me back to PC and RPGS online. Can't believe it is free or that it runs on my laptop so well. Will buy a PC again now.  A+++