Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] DayZ: Hopes for DayZ

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In today's Independency column, we take a look at the DayZ standalone currently in development and the headiness of hardcore zombie goodness. See what we think about DayZ's forthcoming official release before leaving your ideas in the comments.

A quick run-down for those unfamiliar with the mod: DayZ is a mod for Bohemia Interactive's ARMA 2 and has been widely praised as one of the best zombie games ever made. Within its first four months of life, the mod achieved one million players - a pretty impressive feat, most certainly. Needless to say, this eventually led to the creation of the Day Z standalone, a work-in-progress that has countless fans frothing at their mouths with impatience.

Read more of Cassandra Khaw's Independency: Hopes for DayZ.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I just hope that the hacker problems are addressed better, hackers in perm death do not mix well.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    I would like a server that wasn't so hardcore.  Still make it punishing, but not as brutal.  I just think it would be neat to have a group maybe live a little longer to go exploring and do stuff.  Dying on average of an hour just seems so quick that I wonder if you can accomplish anything real in a game.
  • DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

@Wesjr

True story, I tried both DayZ and WarZ.. and the games are tons of fun, untill you've been playing for a few weeks, have sweet gear..and run into a hacker who kills you in a flash.. and all of that work is gone.

untill this is resolved the games are 3.0/10.0 (IMO)

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    After a bit of practice, trial and error, youll figure out how to only die on your terms. You can literally for weeks in he woods with little fear of dying. Eventually boredom will set it and you will start tsking calculated risks knowing its not all that bad starting over frol scratch. I cant wait for the stand alone.

Joined - July 2004

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    im not a fan of perma death in any mmo type game, keep it to its fps roots and sounds like it could be fun, but putting the mmo part in of building up your charactor to  possibly loose it seems pointless and a waste of time to me, sooner spend time with the wife lol

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Zeplini
    im not a fan of perma death in any mmo type game, keep it to its fps roots and sounds like it could be fun, but putting the mmo part in of building up your charactor to  possibly loose it seems pointless and a waste of time to me, sooner spend time with the wife lol

Don't let you wife hear that there are game you prefer to play then spend time with her ;)

• madmikethegmmadmikethegm Member UncommonPosts: 43

I would be more into DayZ if it was really about surviving zombies.  I admit that I've never played it, but from everything I have seen and read regarding the game it has zero to do with surviving zombies and everything to do with surviving the other players.

Perhaps my assessment of this game is incorrect, but I've seen no evidence to contradict that.

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227
    First rule of Dayz, dont get attached to your gear. You will die, and I will take it:)
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by madmikethegm

I would be more into DayZ if it was really about surviving zombies.  I admit that I've never played it, but from everything I have seen and read regarding the game it has zero to do with surviving zombies and everything to do with surviving the other players.

Perhaps my assessment of this game is incorrect, but I've seen no evidence to contradict that.

A vast majority would disagree with you, take a look at Walking Dead, the humans are way more dangerous than the zombies.  Even 28 Days & Resident Evil shows how humans are more dangerous, it's a popular theme you are just not into which is fine but many people will enjoy Day Z as is, ie other players are the biggest danger.

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    ^ zombies are predictable, human are not :)
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I really hope it comes together but I get this feeling that Rocket is in over his head every time I see him interviewed.
  • nightarixnightarix Member Posts: 7

@Dewm

if i recall right they(dayz's crew) stated somewhere(think it was during one of the Q&A rocket had recorded at a con) that the primary issue they're having with removing hackers from the mod is that the code is too "open" to prevent hacking, due to how arma 2's modding system is designed. dayZ's mod might never be rid of them, i think they stated that the standalone would be a bit more closed on what can be scripted in, personally i'm gonna wait for the standalone to try dayZ, can't say warZ interested me though

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Zombi mmos seem limited in my view. In terms of gaming we are simply talking about a rehash of resident evil gaming ideas in an FPS engine. Sure the idea of FPS and perma death is exciting idea for the hackers and cracker out there, but for most sensible gmaing folks this one is a pass. A ton of hype over a Mod..., let's all get real on this one. Outside of the initial novelty there is nothing going on beyond a griefing hacker's paradise.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Fishmitts
    First rule of Dayz, dont get attached to your gear. You will die, and I will take it:)

Gear is a joke is WARZ and DAY Z to get, it comes and goes ,comes more than goes, so its less survial than anything, its a joke, plus WARZ is alot better, I play both and I find myself playing WARZ alot more.

But looking at both games the hacker problem is a problem, also both games are using trash  for game engines, and neither know how to code well or secure there game period, this is the bad part but WARZ is still popular, we hope they can make the stand alone better, time will tell, but I have a feeling we will see more of these games from other companys in better shape than both WARZ and DAY Z put to gether.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by wesjr
    I just hope that the hacker problems are addressed better, hackers in perm death do not mix well.

well, the corresponing "sites" or rather system to hack are around for AGES.

if there would be a fix, dont you think someone would have found it by now? just wondering.

it's the same bloody system used in every game, and no one seems to be able to counter it propperly.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

This ^^

And, this game is a mod, arma2 is required to play DayZ, I'd reather play it as single player, because of hacking.

No one would fix hacking, because of demand to buy a game after bans.
  • znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Thane

well, the corresponing "sites" or rather system to hack are around for AGES.

if there would be a fix, dont you think someone would have found it by now? just wondering.

it's the same bloody system used in every game, and no one seems to be able to counter it propperly.

No one will actualy fix it because of demand to buy a game after bans.

• Furion-HunterFurion-Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 48
    This game was great apart from the hackers, hopefully it  will be fixed with the new edition

• OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    I would like a server that wasn't so hardcore.  Still make it punishing, but not as brutal.  I just think it would be neat to have a group maybe live a little longer to go exploring and do stuff.  Dying on average of an hour just seems so quick that I wonder if you can accomplish anything real in a game.

since the hacker problems, a lot of people have gone to private passworded/whitelisted servers.

the private servers have much more freedom to set there own rules, like PVE only servers, clan warefare server deathmatch server etc etc.

you just need to find one that has a rule set your happy with.

Originally posted by Dewm

@Wesjr

True story, I tried both DayZ and WarZ.. and the games are tons of fun, untill you've been playing for a few weeks, have sweet gear..and run into a hacker who kills you in a flash.. and all of that work is gone.

untill this is resolved the games are 3.0/10.0 (IMO)

in DayZmod we now have private password/whitelist protected servers.

on those type of servers hacking is pretty none existant.

Rocket has stated that there will be similar private servers for the standalone.

also in the standalone they will pretty much elimate the hacks like nuking the whole server or teleporting every to one spot etc by moving all computations for this serverside (like a normal MMO)

but the usual wall hacks aimbots etc will still exist as they do in most other FPS games. to avoid these find a good private server.

Originally posted by madmikethegm

Private servers my friend, Private servers.

for instance you can get survial only PVE servers. just a matter of shopping around til you find one you like.

• teethteeth Member Posts: 67

MUCH agreed. If they can keep the majority of the hackers out, I wouldn't care if the zombies started taking shots at me with AS50's. Granted, ARMA II was created with running scripts, in mind, but it doesn't bode well for the average player. SA is supposed to be a HUGE departure from this setup, and I couldn't be happier.

• AralvarAralvar Member Posts: 34
    I can't say that I'm interested in DayZ. Yes, I have played it, and I won't be buying it as a standalone. My objective opinion about it is that it's a buggy mess of a mod that could be great if they weren't using such a terrible engine to mod with, I the standalone could turn out to be really awesome. My personal opinion is that I don't care for permadeath games. Obviously you're just there to play for the experience (surviving for a few hours or a few days, die,start over), instead of making progress and building a character. Though I do like it when there's some kind of penalty for dieing, I wish there were a middleman (like losing all your food and/or ammunition) rather than losing everything. So for me, I'm only in the mood to play it once in a while. And that means I will not be purchasing the standalone.
  • robthemaniacrobthemaniac Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Aralvar
    . Though I do like it when there's some kind of penalty for dieing, I wish there were a middleman (like losing all your food and/or ammunition) rather than losing everything. So for me, I'm only in the mood to play it once in a while.

Well one thing I'm looking forward to from WarZ if they ever get all their features implemented is the fact that you will still be able to build your character even if you die. It took me a while to get used to the fact that you'll lose all your loot, but since your character doesn't die permanently you will still have the character building RPG element to it. Being able to pick skills and advance yourself and then retain those skills after death will make it so that there are still huge consequences for dying (losing any loot on your toon) but time spent playing will still result in a forward progression of some sort.

• FistyMayhemFistyMayhem Member UncommonPosts: 61

Female characters that can wear clothing items would be nice.. it really sucks that I have to "cross dress" as a male character if I want to have the benefits of a ghilly suit.  (assuming I ever find one) but it's not just that, it any clothing at all.  If my character ever got hero or bandit status I probably wouldn't be able to play her anymore as that's considered a different outfit.

Other than that, being able to set up a base that's resonably safe would be nice.  Tents are the only option right now and they are terribly buggy.  Being able to set up a place to keep a stack that's fairly safe or completely safe would be nice and wouldn't detract much from the pain of deaths.  Your're still going to lose that great gun if you die while you're using it, and you'll still need to get back to your camp "naked" after respawn.  It would just add a bit more RPG to the game in my opinion.