Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For a series known for its amazing PvE - why so focused on PvP for ESO?

Comments

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Inktomi

It's TES, how bad can it be? Do you really think Bethesda will let its best cash-cow falter (beside FO3 n NV) after so many years of success? 

No way man. It's a brand name.

Ahh the memories of Bioware and Star wars pre launch are flooding back....

True, past performance is not indicative of future results. But there is $x.xx of dollars waiting on this game. They release I will invest into them and give it a go. It turns out to be another...what was it...tortanic? I lose a couple of bucks. 

I didn't lose a dollar on Star Wars, The Secret World and countless other over-hyped duds that have rolled down this mmorpg.com pipe. I am willing to put my rep behind TESO though.

What is the music of life?

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Because it is mmo. If you want to pve go and play single player rpg's. Focus must be on pvp!
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

PVP is cheap endgame content, whereas PVE needs to be constantly added to.

PVE generally has a hate following as well by casuals who want everything the quality guilds have, yet without working towards them in a multiplayer environment.  WoW tried to make the casuals like their game by giving them top level epics via soloable content (crafting, dailies, rep grinds)... then the guilds who overcame those impossible achievements were upset.  "Hardcore" players quit and WoW was left a shamble of what it used to be, but still a haven for casuals. [hence why you see all those posts about WoW being great during Vanilla and Burning Crusade].

PVP can be a mixed bag if the gear is obtained through repetition instead of skill.  Think resilience, expertise, or any other PVP mechanic to differentiate PVP gear qualities.

Since TESO will be a casual players themepark game, the least offensive situation would be to eliminate PVE and make the game about PVP skill.  PVE exists to get TES fans to buy the game, but not to stay.

My take on it anyways - I could be wrong, but seems like that is how Zenimax derived their game.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Eletheryl

You have a lot of good PvE MMOs out there, The PvP in the MMO world is like the final frontier to conquer and the PvP population is just insanelly huge, the game who reach that ¨PvP frontier¨   will have them all. 

This is RvR, which is a subsection of PvP.  They don't have world PvP or PvP matches which would be a large chunk of that 'insanly huge" PvP population.

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Karteli

PVE generally has a hate following as well by casuals who want everything the quality guilds have, yet without working towards them in a multiplayer environment.  WoW tried to make the casuals like their game by giving them top level epics via soloable content (crafting, dailies, rep grinds)... then the guilds who overcame those impossible achievements were upset.  "Hardcore" players quit and WoW was left a shamble of what it used to be, but still a haven for casuals. [hence why you see all those posts about WoW being great during Vanilla and Burning Crusade].

PVP can be a mixed bag if the gear is obtained through repetition instead of skill.  Think resilience, expertise, or any other PVP mechanic to differentiate PVP gear qualities.

Since TESO will be a casual players themepark game, the least offensive situation would be to eliminate PVE and make the game about PVP skill.  PVE exists to get TES fans to buy the game, but not to stay.

My take on it anyways - I could be wrong, but seems like that is how Zenimax derived their game.

PvP doesnt discriminate... If you know the insides and out of the charater your playing an your foe just as equally, knowing the habits of foe and timing.. you can defeat your opponent.

However PvE, going against a controlled AI knowing the insides and outs of the Bosses abilities you can win BUT you still have to deal with the politics and rules set up by the guild that is running the raid... thus creating situations where one could win the roll for an item but still NOT gain said item.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by sapphen

You have a lot of good PvE MMOs out there, The PvP in the MMO world is like the final frontier to conquer and the PvP population is just insanelly huge, the game who reach that ¨PvP frontier¨   will have them all. 

This is RvR, which is a subsection of PvP.  They don't have world PvP or PvP matches which would be a large chunk of that 'insanly huge" PvP population.

Subsection? Are you crazy? First realms go to war, then you are sent to fight that war.

First RvR, then PvP. RvR = mass people vs mass people, then PvP - player vs player

Oh and those laughable "arena" matches you speak of... that shouldnt even take place, unless they make a Colosseum somewhere and it should not be "queued" you should shit down and await your turn. We actually used to do this in DAoC... and it was all player-organized and everybody respected it... members from all three realms would sit in a pre-determinded region in the frontiers and wait their turn while others were having their fight inside the "ring". Or you could just go there and watch... but that takes a bit more mature audience to pull this off, since, again, it was all player organized.

Anyway RvR is at the top of the "pvp hierarchy" because its not about you, but about your faction as a whole. Stop thinking about yourself or what you can get from it - think bigger...

“Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.”

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It's TES, how bad can it be? Do you really think Bethesda will let its best cash-cow falter (beside FO3 n NV) after so many years of success? 

Two things, first it isn't bethesda making this game they make SP games, and by todd Howards own words that's what they'll stick to, second they weren't bought out by EA.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

Two things, first it isn't bethesda making this game they make SP games, and by todd Howards own words that's what they'll stick to, second they weren't bought out by EA.

Zenimax (Media) owns Bethesda, Arkane, Id and Zenimax Studios. The TES IP is all owned under one roof. So the powers that be at the top of Zenimax will probably not want their online version of the game released* without the same level of quality that the SP games were made.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Zenimax (Media) owns Bethesda, Arkane, Id and Zenimax Studios. The TES IP is all owned under one roof. So the powers that be at the top of Zenimax will probably not want their online version of the game released* without the same level of quality that the SP games were made.

I certainly would hope so, my point was about the lack of similarities between the TOR situation and this one. To be specific i do not think a failure here would come back to haunt the TES franchise as a whole, i think that's half the reason they've created a studio as they have, not to mention why Beth-soft themselves did not create an MMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I certainly would hope so, my point was about the lack of similarities between the TOR situation and this one. To be specific i do not think a failure here would come back to haunt the TES franchise as a whole, i think that's half the reason they've created a studio as they have, not to mention why Beth-soft themselves did not create an MMO.

We are talking about different companies and different IP's. Matt Firor runs ZO Studios and he was an integral part in* the creation of Dark Age of Camelot when he was with Mythic Entertainment. We know how the MMOG community feels about DAoC. One of the many reasons why I am personally backing TESO.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Because this game really has no relation to the console titles other than IP/lore.   You are talking about a MMORPG where hundreds of thousands of people will play at the same time ... and you dont want to (focus) on them fighting?   I dont see them ignoring that.

You have no option to fight another person in stand-alone version so the concept of PvP was pointless.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

PvP doesnt discriminate... If you know the insides and out of the charater your playing an your foe just as equally, knowing the habits of foe and timing.. you can defeat your opponent.

However PvE, going against a controlled AI knowing the insides and outs of the Bosses abilities you can win BUT you still have to deal with the politics and rules set up by the guild that is running the raid... thus creating situations where one could win the roll for an item but still NOT gain said item.

Having that chance to win an item is part of the thrill though.  DKP came about because of such scenarios, but it was the gamers who derived the system, and the players that accepted it.  Players who participated more, won more.  That is a sustainable mechanic, and one created by players too.

Casuals didn't like DKP though, because they can't / won't play often enough to get integrated into a guild.  But they still want to be the hero in an MMORPG.  /sigh

PVP offers instant gratification, which (sadly to me) satisfies their gaming needs, which are more short term than long term.  Every PVP game has suffered, unless your name is League of Legends.  But an MMORPG that depends on progression can't exactly get LoL players...

MMORPG's are pretty much founded on "build-me-up" characters.  Doesn't mesh well with PVP.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    ESO has nothing to do with Elder Scrolls besides the lore. You may as well forget ESO even has the Elder Scrolls title, if you don't you're only setting yourself up for disappointing. It's developed by a separate studio, that has not made an Elder Scrolls game, headed by someone that has never made an Elder Scrolls game (you'll find this theme a lot). Approach it like an entirely new game, because that's exactly what it is. Make no mistake, this is an MMO that had already been developed on paper, with the Elder Scrolls name tacked on to get the fans interested. That's going to be their downfall, the game sounds good on its own but no matter how many times they tell people not to, fans are going to approach this like an MMO version of Skyrim, and it couldn't be further from that.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Love seeing the care and bears qq about things like this.  They have made tons of pve games, now they want to make  ONE pvp game and you guys are upset?  Really?  They have made solo games for the pvers that are great...whats wrong with trying something new.  Great idea imo.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

That haven of casuals outnumbers all of the other AAA MMOs combined.  No PvP focused MMO has ever come close to the numbers exhibited by EverQuest or World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XI.  Some of the posters in this topic have it backwards.  MMORPGs were meant to be primarily PvE.  We have ample proof that games do very well indeed without PvP.  I have no interest in this game, even before all of this PvP tripe.  The combat mechanics alone turned me away.  I'm very much looking forward to the strictly PvE game called EverQuest Next.  It won't surprise me in the least if it eclipses all of the PvP centric games out there.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    ESO has nothing to do with Elder Scrolls besides the lore. You may as well forget ESO even has the Elder Scrolls title, if you don't you're only setting yourself up for disappointing. It's developed by a separate studio, that has not made an Elder Scrolls game, headed by someone that has never made an Elder Scrolls game (you'll find this theme a lot). Approach it like an entirely new game, because that's exactly what it is. Make no mistake, this is an MMO that had already been developed on paper, with the Elder Scrolls name tacked on to get the fans interested. That's going to be their downfall, the game sounds good on its own but no matter how many times they tell people not to, fans are going to approach this like an MMO version of Skyrim, and it couldn't be further from that.

Please plese stop spreading misinformation, and go watch the podcast, videos and read their informations again.  All you have done is thrown out a ton of opinion and not enough facts.   To the point I thought you were joking cause I've been following this game from the beginning, done comparisons, of the core game mechanics, gameplay, combat, etc and they all indicate what an Elder scrolls game would be if it was online which is ESO.  

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Laross
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Please plese stop spreading misinformation, and go watch the podcast, videos and read their informations again.  All you have done is thrown out a ton of opinion and not enough facts.   To the point I thought you were joking cause I've been following this game from the beginning, done comparisons, of the core game mechanics, gameplay, combat, etc and they all indicate what an Elder scrolls game would be if it was online which is ESO.  

Agreed and that's why the OP has a right to be upset.  The online version will be very much like the single player games, only bastardized into a PvP centric piece of crap.

• bobm111bobm111 Member Posts: 153

lets at least be honest. the rvr heros and wannabe pvpers are trying to hi-jack a game which has its roots in morrowind and its follow ups. none were pvp.... but pve and lore rich.

And now a studio is making a game which has nothing to do with elder scrolls real story so please change it to doac 2 or something.

Otherwise you will be destroying a great game with a great history and lore.

Make this a mmorpg

based on its roots and history with a entire world to explore and a myriad of races and opportunities

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

Subsection? Are you crazy? First realms go to war, then you are sent to fight that war.

First RvR, then PvP. RvR = mass people vs mass people, then PvP - player vs player

Oh and those laughable "arena" matches you speak of... that shouldnt even take place, unless they make a Colosseum somewhere and it should not be "queued" you should shit down and await your turn. We actually used to do this in DAoC... and it was all player-organized and everybody respected it... members from all three realms would sit in a pre-determinded region in the frontiers and wait their turn while others were having their fight inside the "ring". Or you could just go there and watch... but that takes a bit more mature audience to pull this off, since, again, it was all player organized.

Anyway RvR is at the top of the "pvp hierarchy" because its not about you, but about your faction as a whole. Stop thinking about yourself or what you can get from it - think bigger...

“Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.”

World PvP was first in MMOs, then came DAoC RvR.  There are different kinds of PvP just like there are different types of PvE.  They are only focusing on RvR combat.  There is no PvP hierarchy.

Originally posted by bobm111

lets at least be honest. the rvr heros and wannabe pvpers are trying to hi-jack a game which has its roots in morrowind and its follow ups. none were pvp.... but pve and lore rich.

And now a studio is making a game which has nothing to do with elder scrolls real story so please change it to doac 2 or something.

Make this a mmorpg

based on its roots and history with a entire world to explore and a myriad of races and opportunities

One correction in your statment, the studio which is working on the game is under one company which owns both Bethesda and zenimax.  Both companies are working closely together to create a game that has Lore that is very specific to the Elders scrolls world, Bethesda has its hand in everything except for High level decisions which is done my Zenimax's lead designer/Pvp designer.  

I may have interpreted your statement differently but just in case ill leave it.  If its wrong I apologize ahead of time.

Make this a mmorpg

I could see that, over at the Bethesda forums there are a bunch of white knights defending ESO with 2012 join dates.  Suddenly everyone is long time TES fan and wants them to recreate DAoC... I just don't buy it.

Mark Jacobs is already making DAoC2 which makes ESO look even more like a cheap knock-off.  Matt gets his first big break as a game director and he instantly tries to create his version of DAoC at no consideration to the TES franchise.

One correction in your statment, the studio which is working on the game is under one company which owns both Bethesda and zenimax.  Both companies are working closely together to create a game that has Lore that is very specific to the Elders scrolls world, Bethesda has its hand in everything except for High level decisions which is done my Zenimax's lead designer/Pvp designer. 

Do you have a link for that?  They said they 'worked' with Bethesda's Todd Howard for advice but they do not work closely with Bethesda.  They don't even clairify that Todd even approves of their direction.  The company has rights to the IP and chances are the Lore guys that work on TES is working on TES 6 whereas Zenimax hired writers to convert the lore to fit their DAoC RvR system.

• ChakaCanChakaCan Member UncommonPosts: 22

I don't mind having a PvP area in this game, BUT the PvE in the Elder's scrolls game was amazing!  I would literally get jumped by creatures.  I haven't had npcs do that to me since Everquest. 

So I hope this MMO isn't like WOW, Tera, and others where creatures just stand around like bowling pins to knock down.

I believe that's why they do PVP, so they don't have to actually do awesome AI for npcs.

• bobm111bobm111 Member Posts: 153
    Originally posted by Majix

I don't mind having a PvP area in this game, BUT the PvE in the Elder's scrolls game was amazing!  I would literally get jumped by creatures.  I haven't had npcs do that to me since Everquest. 

So I hope this MMO isn't like WOW, Tera, and others where creatures just stand around like bowling pins to knock down.

I believe that's why they do PVP, so they don't have to actually do awesome AI for npcs.

Nor do i have anything against pvp. Im sure that they could make both a pve, pvp,and rp server so that people can choose.

But please dont devide up the world so people have to make 3 chars to experience the entire world .

Do you have a link for that?  They said they 'worked' with Bethesda's Todd Howard for advice but they do not work closely with Bethesda.  They don't even clairify that Todd even approves of their direction.  The company has rights to the IP and chances are the Lore guys that work on TES is working on TES 6 whereas Zenimax hired writers to convert the lore to fit their DAoC RvR system.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

look for the section in the first part 

Zenimax Media is the parent company which owns both Zenimax Online Studios and Bethesda Game Studios. The two sibling studios have a close working relationship which has allowed ZOS to collaborate effectively with Bethesda in order to maintain internal consistency in lore, geography, and art design. Todd Howard is personally involved to sign off on major decisions regarding the direction of the IP.(GI1),(GI2)