Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the community bringing another promising game down?

ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

A phenominal lore, great gameplay and a wonderful world is coming to us in an online version! The Elder Scrolls Online allows you to play your favorite game with your friend. No more: "have you done that dungeon?" "yeah, it was awesome". Instead, you'll go and explore that dungeon together!! Explore the entire world togheter... oh wait...

We don't know for sure how far in developement Zenimax(bethesda) are with the game. What can be changed and what can't. Still, we put our hopes into forums like this and maybe maybe maybe the devs are checking it out once in a while just to see what the community feels about this and that... And who knows, they might add or remove a feature before launch?

Is it possible to give a player access to the whole world and not only the area of the faction one belongs to? (aswell as the pvp-area Cyrodiil ofc)

Is it too late to change that? To far into developement? Well we just don't know that for sure!!

How are the area seperated anyway? Invisible walls?(God forbid!) If so, can they remove these walls?

Huge mountains that you cannot climb? If so, can they make a path one could walk on or a tunnel?

Or is it just too late? We don't know!

But here's the "funny" part though;

Some people gloryfying this separation. And they are determined! Other might just keep their mouths shut. One guy asked for access to the entire world and was nicknamed "ganker"!  Ganker? What that has to do with anything? They can easily make it impossible to attack other players in certain areas if they so desire.

Some people are completely loosing it and compares this game with WWII. "The brittish and americans didn't go into Germany right? Right!!? No, they were sent to the frontlines!!"

Now what heck has WWII to do with this game? (btw, they actually did go into Germany to spy, to sabotage etc...)

I played a couple of mmos. I will mention two since I believe most of you are familier with these two games.

Well I said games.....  Actually, when I played World of Warcraft back on 05 it never felt like a game, it was a world!

When I played Star Wars the Old Republic if never felt like a game, it felt like a piece of crap.

The Elder Scrolls has so much potential. For many reasons! One, it's more about the world actually. No more hotbars all over your screen. (okej, a tiny one with 5-6 buttons) Less interface and more world!

But nooooooo, now folks are against a possible change. A change to make the entire world accesible. It just doesn't make sense...

:)

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I really doubt people here have power to bring any MMO down if it was true WOW would be the biggest failure of gaming history. People come here to express opinions..positive and negative, out of these forums and in larger scheme of things, it means nothing.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Voted yes.

I could provide a massive list of reasons why but to start with I think we should because they use the exploration of the "entire continent of Tamriel" as part of their marketting campaign.

Flat

Out

Lie

Unless of course they add the line that you can explore the entire continent of Tamriel (as long as you create 2 alts and accept that you cannot explore it on the same character).

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

This is the most retarded post I have read on these forums to date.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Haha, you voted "No"!

:)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I keep getting the feeling that TESO is actually DAOC "set in Tamriel".

It's almost as if the whole game design is based on supporting and promoting the RvR endgame. It's a selective and very stylised interpretation of Elder Scrolls gameplay, as opposed to the "pick your own path" playstyle I was accustomed to in the ES SPG's.

It may well be that the game will be great, but that will have nothing to do with its IP...

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Community Imperative #1:  Under no circumstance will you ever accept a developer's vision for their game.  We know better what makes a good game, such things can't be left to the whims of developers.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

First off, it doesn't make sense from a lore perspective, that you can just enter an area that is controlled by an enemy alliance. A few smaller MMOs have had faction limited areas and they worked just fine. Provided that you could still enter the enemy areas, but it instantly marked you for PvP.

If the lore states that dunmer and altmer are a part of opposing factions, and kill eachother over the central cyrodiil, then it is moronic that they would happily be able to be friends outside of that area.

Quite frankly, I'm sick of MMOs where everyone is entitled to do everything, has equal opportunities, and in general built up in a way which aims to lure in as many different types of players as possible.

While I think that faction areas are a good move on their part, I have to agree that making them completely inaccessible for other faction members is BS. It should be possible, but at your own risk of  getting PvP-ed, or perhaps having completely different content in enemy areas (spying, sabotage, assassination). Walling them off with mountains, gates or invisible walls is not something I support.

What I do support, is having the knowledge that certain areas are enemy territory, and if you set foot in them, you'd better be prepared for whatever is coming your way.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by Clawzon
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

This is the most retarded post I have read on these forums to date.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Haha, you voted "No"!

Actually I voted "Yes" and thefact that you haveto lie about what I voted on just makes you look like an even bigger dick.

Mods plz end this shitfest of thread.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    Community Imperative #1:  Under no circumstance will you ever accept a developer's vision for their game.  We know better what makes a good game, such things can't be left to the whims of developers.

I wouldnt say we know better, but as gamers we do play them alot so you cant say we dont have an informed opinion of what makes a good game. At least from the Players Perspective

Often it seems that a Developers "Vision" is too far removed from the "players perspective" of what makes a good game because they have a "developers perspective"

I dont think Developers actually play games as much as Games do and therefore their point of view is from a developmental side which often times doesnt translate all that well into "play"

Even though from their perspective it should.

We "know better" because we are the ones that have to deal with the end result of the whims of developers

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

When I read the thread title I though this was going to be a "everybody is bringing the game down" thread. You know, not respecting the dev ideas and decisions.

But no! It's another "I want to be able to see all of Tamriel without all that RvR stuff in the middle" thread. People keep talking about the Elder Scrolls lore but they all ignore said lore when it come to this feature. They want access to access all the land, but they ignore he known lore about the time period.  Zenimax didn't change the lore for TESO, they set the game in a time period where it fitted with their 3 factions ideas.

• mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

I wouldnt say we know better, but as gamers we do play them alot so you cant say we dont have an informed opinion of what makes a good game. At least from the Players Perspective

Often it seems that a Developers "Vision" is too far removed from the "players perspective" of what makes a good game because they have a "developers perspective"

I dont think Developers actually play games as much as Games do and therefore their point of view is from a developmental side which often times doesnt translate all that well into "play"

Even though from their perspective it should.

We "know better" because we are the ones that have to deal with the end result of the whims of developers

Any developer with imaginative vision are gamers themselves the one that is in the field for the art rather than just the business. I use to think players have a better informed  opinions, but ive seen to many times how the players perspective can ruin things especially the loud crowd. We as players would never know thr inner workings of a given studio and whats being planned, thats why ive learn to play the game for what it is. Some features that I use to hate or now very missed because I reflect back and realized why it was implemented as so. The vocal mininority has changed landscape of MMORPG gaming for the worst in my opinon because now we are fed with the same game with a little splash of different.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Doubt it.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by azarhal

When I read the thread title I though this was going to be a "everybody is bringing the game down" thread. You know, not respecting the dev ideas and decisions.

But no! It's another "I want to be able to see all of Tamriel without all that RvR stuff in the middle" thread. People keep talking about the Elder Scrolls lore but they all ignore said lore when it come to this feature. They want access to access all the land, but they ignore he known lore about the time period.  Zenimax didn't change the lore for TESO, they set the game in a time period where it fitted with their 3 factions ideas.

Great post....well almost.

You see, if you read up about that time period you may see that the Nords of Skyrim and Breton became allies....ooops. Sorry, can't be allies with a Nord if you are a Breton as TESo has made then warring factions....great adherance to lore!

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I don't know. The gaming community has gotten more harsh but it just means that ultimately the game has to speak for itself. Other people's options =/= your own. You play, you decide.
  • ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

I was going to type out this lengthy reply with a bunch of counterpoints for much of what the OP said but I'll keep it to just one. 

If I only had a nickel for every time I've seen someone said an MMO "has potential" I'd go and develop my own MMO.  (which ironically would probably have potential as well) 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Great post....well almost.

You see, if you read up about that time period you may see that the Nords of Skyrim and Breton became allies....ooops. Sorry, can't be allies with a Nord if you are a Breton as TESo has made then warring factions....great adherance to lore!

You might want to take your own advice to heart. I actually did read about the Interregnum and the only mention I found of Bretons and Nords being allies in the time period is the Battle of Sancre Tor in 852. TESO start in 2nd 583.

270 years seems long enough for the Covenant and Pact to fall appart to me. Especially with High Rock being composed of hundreds of petty kings all backstabbing each others and the Dunmer/Argonians hating each others guts.

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

I dunno, this was meant to be sarcasm I think but it some ways it's sorta true.  Why not give MMO fans what they want in a game not what you think they want.  I think this has been the undoing of many recent releases over the past few years.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

YES of course I want to go everywhere with my main char, like in other games before.

Imagine, in Age of Conan as a Cimmerian if you could only run around in Cimmeria?

Kithan only in Kithai?

Stygian only in Stygia?

Aquilonian only in Aquilonia?

what the hell? They didn"t do that either to stretch content.

Yeah cool in TESO you need 3 characters to see all regions, practical takes four times longer to see all content. That buys them some time to work on an expansion..

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Haha, it's true. I actually believe people think this way.

The developer and his team has been working day and night on their MMO, but Jake the forum guy, who read a few paragrapghs of an article on Massively knows better...

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I playing & love TES coz ,it is open world without limitations, my toon is first explorer not hero.

You might want to take your own advice to heart. I actually did read about the Interregnum and the only mention I found of Bretons and Nords being allies in the time period is the Battle of Sancre Tor in 852. TESO start in 2nd 583.

270 years seems long enough for the Covenant and Pact to fall appart to me. Especially with High Rock being composed of hundreds of petty kings all backstabbing each others and the Dunmer/Argonians hating each others guts.

So...

During a time where petty warlords were fighting each other...you think it is ok for a Breton lord to unite not just the ENTIRE kingdom of Highrock but to also get the Redguard on board, not just some but the ENTIRE kindgom and to also manage to persuade the ENTIRE Orc nation to join forces with him?

But silly me, quoting the ACTUAL lore is wrong because it happens 270 years after the start of this period and is actually mentioned rather then made up for convenience and isn't going against what the lore actually states.

You stick with thinking their design is fine though.

Yeah, my bad!

Snip from the link YOU posted...

During the entirety of Interregnum, petty warlords had attempted to seize control of Cyrodiil's capital and to reestablish the Empire. None of them lasted for long,[10] until, in the year 2E 852 the king of Falkreath, Cuhlecain, sought to proclaim himself "Emperor of All Cyrodiil". Two years later, with the help of his general Talos who reclaimed the Amulet of Kings, he took the Imperial City from the battlemages of the Eastern Heartland, but was assassinated shortly after. It is uncertain whether or not Cuhlcecain was ever crowned Emperor.[11] The Third Empire was certainly established when Talos took the name Tiber Septim and was crowned in his stead in 2E 854, signaling the end of the Interregnum,[2] although the rest of Tamriel did not submit to his rule until the conclusion of the Tiber Wars in 2E 896.[5]

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Psychow

The developer and his team has been working day and night on their MMO, but Jake the forum guy, who read a few paragrapghs of an article on Massively knows better...

So what's actually worse; when Jake the forum guy really does know better or you thinking that developers could do no wrong?

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by Psychow

So what's actually worse; when Jake the forum guy really does know better or you thinking that developers could do no wrong?

Jesus, it's worse than I thought.

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

Poll has nothing to do with thread

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

It's a game, the devs need to make a game that has mechanics that work with the gameplay.  It's like asking if pac-man should be able to shoot ghosts, like in space invaders.  Sure, maybe they shouldn't have gone making a space invaders themed pac-man game, but that's already done.  The devs still have to worry about a full cohesive gameplay experience that isn't broken by mechanics from a totally different game.

As for the community, no, the community doesn't ruin games.  That's absurd.  The community responds to what we get, and how good that is, how we respond to it, is entirely up to the devs.  If some people find games ruined by other people's opinions, they need to get off the damn forums.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

i think every smart guy will refuse to belive what a developer says. its common sense for smart people to think differentiate and to look behind those words not just stand before them.

Ive said it once and will say it again. This game wont please alot of players. Its like that star wars mmo. Only for fanboys.