Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you buy GW2 now, after you have played it?

Comments

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

thanks to all for sharing opinions.=)
    as I told "like" "dislike" etc is just own choice of everyone.

Very please avoid to call my question "silly" if you don't want to get into or give answer (funny, it was not a case).

Question I keep asking myself is: do I have fun and pleasure worth to spend 60$ and my time?
    I'm still not convinced, I believe I got hyped and bought game too fast (better for me would be wait till more content, polish etc etc) or just get it for cheap/free and be sure you got what you payed for...

GW2 is not my biggest disappointment, however, Aion was.

Asking you all not because I want to troll game someone loves, but to understand if I'm alone to have doubt about and be sure it's NOT what I was hyped about.

GW1 worth every single $ I spent for boxes and shop, as I got great FUN, nice time and felt home for years there. GW2 is sure more like console single player comparable, so I understand people who said about console games vs GW2.

Again, I think any game is question of taste and don't want argue with anyone who like or dislike any game.

It was a fun thread Lady, some take these questions too seriously which is a shame.   Just a bit of fun which is, I am sure, what you intended.  Gw1 was fantastic, GW2 was a poorer version of it.  

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    so you dont think paying 50 bucks once is worth 3 months of unlimited playtime for a personal hobby. thats really, really funny. have fun dealing with real world expenses when you get older, kid.

Your argument only applies if in fact you play fro 3 months or more and enjoy it.  I played for less than threee hours and hated it. Therefore for me it was not worth it. There are others with similar experiences of GW2.  At this level of disappointment in a product there is no difference between the B2P and subscription model as most subscription games have a box price that includes 30 days.  As I would not have been a subscriber to this game the loss is the same.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    Originally posted by tank017

I probably wouldnt buy it..

If were going to compare MMO's to single player games,I could easily say games like TES and Fallout type games last you much longer for the price.Ive been playing Fallout 3 alone for about 2 years now.

I used to play EQ,Asheron's Call,Daoc , and a few other MMO's hardcore. I played them for years,not a couple months.

Its based on preference really, my taste of MMO's come from the dawn of the MMO age,not todays standards.

There are exceptions,I think The Secret World is worth the price just by the sheer uniqueness of it.

You mean to say you've played Fallout 3 for 2 years.  Straight?  What in the world have you been doing in it?  There's a lot of content to that game, but not 2 years worth.  Oh, did you mean you played it for a month or two and then went back to it later and played some more off and on for 2 years?  Yea I could see that. 

Fallt 3 does not have 2 years of content in it.  Not even close.  I did absolutely everything there was to do in that game in a month easy, ignoring the story stuff just so I could explore the entirity of it. 

Now if you've been playing on and off for 2 years I get that.  Of course.....you could do that with GW2 as well.  So your point is entirely missed by me.

Does anyone play a game every single day for years when they say they play a game for years? probably not

Its more likely they go back to it.I'll play Fallout 3 for a couple months,take a break and go back for a couple more.Ive also been fooling around with a lot of mods,which logs me more game time

so yes,Ive been going back to Fallout 3 for about 2 years. Im actively playing it now.

As for GW2,I havent played it for months and have no urge to return.

I think the point he was trying to make is that years is a rather meaningless unit when trying to describe time spent playing a game.  I mean I could say I've been playing Final Fantasy 7 for 15 years!  I still almost always fire it up and play through it once annually, after all. 

The real issue is bang for your buck.  How much entertainment you get (however you wish to quantify or qualify it--we are apparently attempting to quantify using units of time) per dollar spent.  A game may give you 100 hours of extremely fun entertainment, but what if it cost $500?  Would it be worth it?  Most people would probably answer no.  What about 500 hours of gameplay for $100?  100 hours for $60?  There are other factors that may influence your full evaluation (qualification), but you can see the point I and the other poster are trying to make. 

If you're using time to quantify your entertainment gained, it will never yield a perfect evaluation; but hours played are undoubtedly better than years. 

I've has single player games that I have completed in a few hours; they were still worth my money, those few hours were fun.  

That's exactly the point about qualification I was trying to make. 

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    so you dont think paying 50 bucks once is worth 3 months of unlimited playtime for a personal hobby. thats really, really funny. have fun dealing with real world expenses when you get older, kid.

Your argument only applies if in fact you play fro 3 months or more and enjoy it.  I played for less than threee hours and hated it. Therefore for me it was not worth it. There are others with similar experiences of GW2.  At this level of disappointment in a product there is no difference between the B2P and subscription model as most subscription games have a box price that includes 30 days.  As I would not have been a subscriber to this game the loss is the same.

question if this where a single player game, how would this be anydiffrent.

or do you want free to play games and thats the end of it.

because that sounds more like people not being willing to spend money for something but still wanting it.

adn that is the crux of what F2P is in the end no matter what anyone says (and im sure they will)

people wanting to play games for free and not haveing to ever pay for it, while those of us that are willing to pay for a game so its has high quality watch a genra we love turned into a quick cash scam

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

[quote][i]Originally posted by MightyChasm
    It was a fun thread Lady, some take these questions too seriously which is a shame.   Just a bit of fun which is, I am sure, what you intended.  Gw1 was fantastic, GW2 was a poorer version of it.  [/b][/quote]

"I love you, man" =XD

P.S. LOL sorry I fail to quote

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Squeak69

because that sounds more like people not being willing to spend money for something but still wanting it.

adn that is the crux of what F2P is in the end no matter what anyone says (and im sure they will)

people wanting to play games for free and not haveing to ever pay for it, while those of us that are willing to pay for a game so its has high quality watch a genra we love turned into a quick cash scam

If it was a single player game I would not have bought it at all.  I do not play single player RPGs.

As to "free to pay and pay again" no not a fan.  I like the subscription model , "Buy to Play" seems to me to be F2P with a box price and a cash shop. 

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

yes its a bargain compared to the many hours of entertainment

i would even have bought and subbed it at normal price,,its the best mmo on the market now

anet didnt fool around when they made this,,there is love and hard work in every little detail

this is the game, that other mmos will be measured against

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by simplius

i would even have bought and subbed it at normal price,,its the best mmo on the market now

anet didnt fool around when they made this,,there is love and hard work in every little detail

We have many years of crap I gues then.

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I would for sure. Don't play it as much at the moment because I need some time to adapt. Wonderful thing is, I don't need to pay monthly.
  • Uzur9Uzur9 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Yes Ide still buy it.  Sure Ive not really played much lately (played more GW1 then 2),  Ide say I got my 80$ *got the DDE* out of it and even if I dont play for amonth or 2 I can jump back on (no subs deff. like that)     Heck Ive still got TONS of stuff I can do,  max my crafting, legendary gear, dungeon armour gear...
  • MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298

[quote][i]Originally posted by MightyChasm
    It was a fun thread Lady, some take these questions too seriously which is a shame.   Just a bit of fun which is, I am sure, what you intended.  Gw1 was fantastic, GW2 was a poorer version of it.  [/b][/quote]

"I love you, man" =XD

P.S. LOL sorry I fail to quote

haha that is funny shit, want a beer some time? 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

If it was a single player game I would not have bought it at all.  I do not play single player RPGs.

As to "free to pay and pay again" no not a fan.  I like the subscription model , "Buy to Play" seems to me to be F2P with a box price and a cash shop. 

B2P is F2P with a cash shop, this is not a secret btw.  A customer wanting to pay a subscription rather than play for free with the option to buy things as they want them is a bit insane.  Are you comparing a sub game against a greeedy/poor F2P game in your head  perhaps?

Going with that logic, Diable 3 would be better as a subscription based game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

B2P is F2P with a cash shop, this is not a secret btw. , A customer wanting to pay a subscription rather than play for free with the option to buy things as they want them is a bit insane.  Are you comparing a sub game against a greeedy/poor F2P game in your head  perhaps?

B2P ain't F2P with a cash shop. Pretty big difference actually. The barrier of entry is not as big as P2P but not even close to F2P, which is the whole point of F2P. Besides GW2's specific model not only revolves around the CS but also expansions.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

B2P is F2P with a cash shop, this is not a secret btw. , A customer wanting to pay a subscription rather than play for free with the option to buy things as they want them is a bit insane.  Are you comparing a sub game against a greeedy/poor F2P game in your head  perhaps?

B2P ain't F2P with a cash shop. Pretty big difference actually. The barrier of entry is not as big as P2P but not even close to F2P, which is the whole point of F2P. Besides GW2's specific model not only revolves around the CS but also expansions.

Re the  'it is shit' comment  above - learn to enjoy life a bit more?  back to the discussion, With GW2 I think you are right because it looks as if Anet are up to the task of improving the development time for expansions so they do indeed cover the costs and therefore have less reliance on the cash shop (good thing)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Yes, it was definitely worth it for me. Plus, I love those first months in an MMO when everything's new, everybody's clueless and just finding out how the game works etc. Even though I'm taking a break atm I've already had a ton of fun (standing at around 700 hours) whether it be playing WvW in the middle of the night and defending with 5 people against a force 3 times our number or taking part in the different holyday events. Especially loved the Halloween one, with the Mad King's Clocktower. I probably spent around 15-20 hours only doing this particular jumping puzzle.

While it's not perfect, and currently GW1 > GW2 in my heart, I'm sure I'll be spending many more hours playing GW2 in the future, when I'm in the mood for an MMO again.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Absolutely great game. Compliment coming from somebody that considered gw1 trash. And did not have high hopes for gw2. But after started to play it ... increcible game. Miriads of jewels, small and big, all fun. Including vistas, skill point challenges, incredible realism for game of environment, incredible preformance of game client, ... Great game again.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Originally posted by simplius

We have many years of crap I gues then.

compared to this,,yes

dont like it?,,dont play it,,youre not bound by a sub here

and if you didnt get your $ of fun from box price, you dont belong in mmos

but if you can find a mmo developer that can make the same quality as this, please let us know

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

[quote]Originally posted by MightyChasm
    [b][quote] Originally posted by Lovely_Laly [quote][i]Originally posted by MightyChasm It was a fun thread Lady, some take these questions too seriously which is a shame.   Just a bit of fun which is, I am sure, what you intended.  Gw1 was fantastic, GW2 was a poorer version of it.  [/b][/quote] "I love you, man" =XD P.S. LOL sorry I fail to quote[/quote]haha that is funny shit, want a beer some time? [/b][/quote]
    LOL sure, "dwarf ale", like in good old time.=D

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Only IMHO, this game last like 3 months, then became "old" or "boring" so not exciting or fun for many of us. 

If a game is fun for three months and then gets boring, that's pretty good, don't you think?  A lot of games won't make it to three hours before they get boring.

I measure MMOs differently from single player games...To me a MMO should be epic and last years.....THe ones I have enjoyed the most also lasted me the longest....If I only get a couple months enjoyment out of a MMO then it wasnt that good of a game for me....Thats why they need to quit making MMOs for short term entertainment and focus on what used to make them last.

Well, I think that sort of design is gone now. Not a lot of MMOs (if any) are designed to be played for years on end without any break. The early MMOs did last quite a bit but then again they had horrible and I mean ultra super duper horrible grind and time sinks. It's like those games didn't value your time. 

Also as more and more MMOs are dropping sub fees, MMO companies don't need to implement pointless grind just to keep you subbed. I think of current MMOs as more of your typical games. They are supposed to be played as a hobby/game  not act as a second life. This is completely different to games like EQ which literally required you to dedicate most of your time to the game. If you played 7-14 hours a week in EQ, you weren't going to get anywhere.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• tr289tr289 Member Posts: 236

Nope i wouldn't buy it again.

The PvE in this game is kinda OK and in my opinion Anet should have just made GW2 into s single player RPG. After you finish the story mode the PvE is just bad, dumb, done before a 1000 times, un inovated... I will just stop there.

The sPvP and WvW which i would assume most people bought the game for is beyond bad. sPvP is all the same cookie cutter builds and WvW, while fun because of the people playing it, is so unbalanced class wise , full or exploits, full of hacks, totally irrationally thought out, poorly designed, poorly implimented. I can't say a single good thing about it. To make things worse, if you listen to the state of the game video, those 2 morons talking about class balance and apex preditors... Well they know a lot about being Apex morons but little about being Apex preditors and it's no wonder the sPvP and WvW is so bad.

GW2 did a few thing's marginaly well but the things they got wrong they got wrong on a level never seen in a MMO. The locked skillbars, really ? The targeting system where you have to down load an app to make the game play like a retarded FPS... Those 2 things alone make GW2 a really bad game. Sadly that's just 2 of the many fails that you will find in GW2.

If you like single player PvE it's worth buying. If you like MMO's or PvP this game is complete garbage. But that's just my opinion.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I answered other simply because there was no option for a simple yes. My reasoning doesn't really fit your excuses why I would say yes. Personally for me, it's a good game well worth the price. And even though I haven't logged in for a couple of months I still don't regret buying it one single bit.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Only IMHO, this game last like 3 months, then became "old" or "boring" so not exciting or fun for many of us. 

If a game is fun for three months and then gets boring, that's pretty good, don't you think?  A lot of games won't make it to three hours before they get boring.

I played regularly for about 3 months after launch and loved it. After I got my 2nd character to 80 i had burnt out a bit and stopped playing for a while.

However, when I saw the Wintersday festivities it piqued my interest and I loaded it up again. If it was a subscription game I would never have gone back, but because GW2 is B2P I was able to just patch the game up and get back to playing. This week I have created a new character on a race/class I hadnt played before and I'm loving it.

With the introduction of the living story I think it will keep more people interested :)

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85
    Yes, but not the CE ;) 150€ waaaay overpriced, but a great game for 40-60$€.

• wardoxywardoxy Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I wish I could have my money back.
  • EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92

Farcry=80hrs,, oblivion over 4 years=500hrs,,,skyrim=100hr,,,ac 3= 50hrs, ff13=70hrs... and all I got for 60 dollars....

Now gw2=1342hrs so far,,, so yes I would buy it in a heartbeat again.