Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Game is designed for 1 thing = $

13

Comments

  • ElminzterElminzter MelbournePosts: 202Member
    Originally posted by bcbully

    They gotta make money Elm. You will never need to open the cash shop if you play the game. I stand by this with my $9 being the only cash I've spent. I'm gonna spend another $10-15 this week simply because I feel like I'm robbing these guys.

     

    If you don't have time to play the game, or a person who believes they got beat because of gear, sure buy gold. It will help the person that doesn't have time, but the other guy, that guy in all honesty is the cash cow. He will keep spending, and spending and keep losing. F2P games pray on people like this. 

     

    Yeah it would be nice to have a sub only game, but we know from this site alone there are people out there who refuse to pay for a game even if they like it. Look a GW2 for example. The majority of those who enjoy the game would rather stop playing than pay a sub. 

     

    I'm firmly in the camp of if it's good I will pay a sub. People like me seem to be in the minority these days. Either that or the games the past few years haven't been good. Probably a combination of both. 

    thats my other problem with a f2p game, why are paying customers sharing bandwidth with free loaders, its sort of like the rich subsiding the poor, problem i see here is the basic maintainces and running costs has to be borne by the paying customers and if the game isnt profitable it's always the paying customers who loses out cause the free loaders would just move on to another free game.

    and the biggest problem for AOW is it needs a healthy population to make it an enjoyable experience for all, but too much free loaders is gonna create problems as it takes up more bandwidth and cpu time esp when servers gets overloaded and it's not profitable to justify upgrade costs.

    in the CN version they had a VIP only server, sadly for the NA version this couldnt be justifiable at all.....

    just ranting away lol

     

  • VonatarVonatar PraguePosts: 672Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by injenu
    Originally posted by Vonatar

    I stopped reading when you said it's only worth playing a scholar or shaolin. Alright I read a bit further when your allegations of imbalance were based on the fact that shaolin have a feint which knocks down. Soooo, you didn't realise this and kept blocking a shaolin and he beat you? That's not imbalance that means you need to do some reading and training sir. Shaolin have the best feint in the game. No other school has this.

     

    It's the same as when tang and wudang like to go aerial on beggars using lotus palm and get faceplanted into the ground. Only a fool blocks a shaolin (or even lets him get close) and similarly only a fool uses flying skills against a lotus palm beggar.

    Ok so then how are you supposed to close the gap if you're a Wudang who doesn't have any ranged? OHHHH THATS RIGHT BY GETTING WILD GOOSE WHICH COSTS ABOUT $60 IN REAL LIFE!!!

    Thank you.

    Firstly, wudang have ranged skills using breeze sword and ranged poke with yin yang sword. Secondly, you would need to ensure the beggar has not managed to develop enough chi from blocking your other attacks to use green lotus on you. If you're fighting a shaolin then you can use aerial skills to get away - if you block he'll cc you or otherwise use another of his ccs.

    It's clear your pay-to-win QQ is borne of frustration with the game. Fair enough that you're frustrated, but that doesn't make AoW an imbalanced pay-to-win game outright.

     

    EDIT: I haven't played in a month, so if they patched out wudang ranged skills what I have said is redundant.

  • BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,946Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Biskop

    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by AresPL
    @Burntvet You sure You played AoW? grind? image

     

    I dare anyone attempting mid to high end crafting to tell me the grind does not suck (weapons or armor in my own case). To get the materials, the books, manage what you need to advance 4 crafting skill bars... plus all the "optional" items you need for crafting (unless you buy them, of course) grind, grind, and grind. No thanks, I have a job. This might be fine for people who play and sell items to in turn sell unbound silver for RL cash, but not for someone who would ever craft for "fun". No effin way.

    Perhaps you should quit MMOs altogether, because by your definition any MMO is a grind. They're all about progressing by doing the same or similar things for extended time periods. Crafting is always about gathering/buying materials and then putting them together using some kind of point-and-click method, and getting progressively better results as your skill bar rises.

    AoW's crafting system, while not specatcular, is very solid and it has some nice tweaks like the bejeweled minigame (which reduces the "grind"), the workstation system, the usefulness of low level recipes, etc. But above all it's good because it ties into the economy in a well-designed way - crafters depend on other players and there's no realistic way to be self-sufficient.

    Overall there's very little traditional "grind" in AoW (mainly because mobs give no exp and because there are multiple playstyle options) and I always laugh when I see that comment being made, since it always makes the person making it look like a fool.

     

    Says you. You try to get to the higher end of weapons/armor making and tell what involved is not INSANE. I dare you, but you won't. And frankly, all things considered, the way the game is designed, it is not even worth it. The boost from really top end weapons as compared to a "good weapon" is not that significant as compared to the silly bonuses from the combat skills. Same with armor. And as for "buying things" the prices were so sky high, that the only way to get enough cash was, what a surprise, to buy it with RL cash. So, actually yes, the amount of "farming" and grinding involved in getting set of up for mid-high end crafting is beyond what most people (not a Korean teenager) would consider fun. Going through all of that, is what would be foolish. And name calling is last resort of the fanboy.
  • PyukPyuk Eugene, ORPosts: 691Member Uncommon
    You mean they didn't design the game out of the goodness of their collective hearts? The bastards! How dare those game developers try to make a living!

    I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

  • SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon

    Snore...evil game company is trying to make money...snore...

     

    That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  • PopplePopple Utica, NYPosts: 167Member
    Originally posted by Mysk

    mmorpg.com should just replace their domain with hatersgonnahate.com .  It's a more accurate representation of the "community" here.

    The degrading items are useful for a player driven economy.  Time limits on the items ensure that you people will keep buying said items.  The majority of them can - and are - made by players, such as the bags.  However, the horse expiration is something that I find to be absurd.

    VIP is $10.  The "Deluxe" package is more.  $10 gets you offline training and access to the beta as much as you want.  I do agree that the time limit put on the beta is nothing but a money grab.  The "Deluxe" package gets you VIP for two or three months (I forget which) as well as item mall stuff, so it actually comes out to be cheaper than all of it would be if bought separately.

    Basically, it's not a bad deal.  Nobody is forcing you to buy it.  The game is in beta, so if you don't want to deal with the restrictions then wait for it to release.  It's not like it's going to cost you anything, being F2P.

    I haven't messed with the instances, but I'm sure that you're exaggerating those as well.

    Now hurry and report me to the mods as "Trolling" because you don't like what I'm saying.

    Come on now, got to have the Pro's and Con's..If it was all Pro like you are getting at ,you are no different then the Con's..You are spewing a sliver lining here.. People do have a brain.ummm i hope they do to know the difference..

    I retired retroactively..Haha

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,280Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by AresPL
    @Burntvet You sure You played AoW? grind? image

     

    I dare anyone attempting mid to high end crafting to tell me the grind does not suck (weapons or armor in my own case). To get the materials, the books, manage what you need to advance 4 crafting skill bars... plus all the "optional" items you need for crafting (unless you buy them, of course) grind, grind, and grind. No thanks, I have a job. This might be fine for people who play and sell items to in turn sell unbound silver for RL cash, but not for someone who would ever craft for "fun". No effin way.

    Perhaps you should quit MMOs altogether, because by your definition any MMO is a grind. They're all about progressing by doing the same or similar things for extended time periods. Crafting is always about gathering/buying materials and then putting them together using some kind of point-and-click method, and getting progressively better results as your skill bar rises.

    AoW's crafting system, while not specatcular, is very solid and it has some nice tweaks like the bejeweled minigame (which reduces the "grind"), the workstation system, the usefulness of low level recipes, etc. But above all it's good because it ties into the economy in a well-designed way - crafters depend on other players and there's no realistic way to be self-sufficient.

    Overall there's very little traditional "grind" in AoW (mainly because mobs give no exp and because there are multiple playstyle options) and I always laugh when I see that comment being made, since it always makes the person making it look like a fool.

     

    Says you. You try to get to the higher end of weapons/armor making and tell what involved is not INSANE. I dare you, but you won't. And frankly, all things considered, the way the game is designed, it is not even worth it. The boost from really top end weapons as compared to a "good weapon" is not that significant as compared to the silly bonuses from the combat skills. Same with armor. And as for "buying things" the prices were so sky high, that the only way to get enough cash was, what a surprise, to buy it with RL cash. So, actually yes, the amount of "farming" and grinding involved in getting set of up for mid-high end crafting is beyond what most people (not a Korean teenager) would consider fun. Going through all of that, is what would be foolish. And name calling is last resort of the fanboy.

    Blacksmith here. Just made a +dmg 2x , 10%, 10% First set Tangmen dagger ten minutes ago.  It cost me about 80 Liang. 

     

    Here's the kicker, If I go prices it at 800 Liang, you'd probably want to buy it. You would probably go buy some gold, convert it and give it to me. What's really funny is that in a couple weeks it will be selling for 100 L. Then I'll make a gold quality daggger for about 150L and price it for 2D. Rinse and repeat. 

     

    Play the game man get better, learn how to make Liang and don't be a sucker. 

     

    edit- btw I've been saying I was going to spend 10-15$ since I've only paid 9 back in december. There is nothing in the cash shop worth it to me though.

     

    I don't need a mount, I have outfits from calligraphy, and I'm not gonna be a sucker and spend it on some medium quality pants that aren't gonna be worth a 10th of the price in two weeks...

     

    I have scholor spin set. I got wind flower snow moon from a script steal, then built the set. I have a wanderers set too, plus the begger spit wine ability that makes people drunk. 

     

    I could buy some skills for my alt, but he needs to level his internal first... Idk *puts credit card away, checks out mmorpg*

  • injenuinjenu miami, FLPosts: 142Member

    All I wanted to say was that the developers of this game care more about their bottom line than providing their gamers the best value in terms of their experience. 

    All arguments about a company's right to make money are not even applicable because that was never my beef with snail.   It's the difference between a company like CCP and EA.  CCP being a developer that creates a game that they themselves enjoy playing, not just a game that's designed specifically to profit for it's stockholders/owners.

    For all intents and purposes, I have been successful in this game both in selling my craftables as well as being able to hold my own against pretty much any class in pvp.  As a matter of fact, my first TV run I got Wild Goose on a drop, and currently hold about 5D in unbound silver (about 2.5 came from beta bags).  My point being this post wasn't me trying to vent about my own frustration, but to be a good advocate of gaming in general by warning my fellows that this game is somewhat of a money grab for casual gamers. 

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,865Member Uncommon


    Being rapid about something, liking the game or hating it, makes each equally ridiculous in their claims...


    There are people praising obvious flaws as "features" and there are people blowing out things way out of proportions. Both needs to be taken with big grain of salt.

  • AresPLAresPL ElblagPosts: 290Member
    true but the point here is that he talks about things he dont have any idea like wutang without range skills
  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,865Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by AresPL

    true but the point here is that he talks about things he dont have any idea like wutang without range skills

    Well, to be fair there is no point trying to go range against kiting Tang. He still indeed NEED to get in range.

    Game balance in the game is just horrid. It gets better at max lvl but still...

  • AresPLAresPL ElblagPosts: 290Member
    as You noticed this isny typical MMO, in china shaolin wins with tang, ppl have to train more, in chinese version only tang are complaining
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,280Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AresPL
    as You noticed this isny typical MMO, in china shaolin wins with tang, ppl have to train more, in chinese version only tang are complaining

    I thought it was just me! Since second internal, I feel a lot weaker. I will not engage in a fair fight now. I have to get the jump on the guy. It's making me better no question, but it's good to know it's not just me having some difficulty.

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,865Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by AresPLas You noticed this isny typical MMO, in china shaolin wins with tang, ppl have to train more, in chinese version only tang are complaining

    On the contrary. It is a typical MMO, only difference how you level your character.


    As said before, just because it gets slightly better at max lvl does not make it less broken, just differently.

  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 1,930Member Uncommon

    I hate when Companies actually want to make a profit on goods and services and stay in business.

     

    /amazed at OP

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,280Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gdemami

     


    Originally posted by AresPL

     

    as You noticed this isny typical MMO, in china shaolin wins with tang, ppl have to train more, in chinese version only tang are complaining


     

    On the contrary. It is a typical MMO, only difference how you level your character.


    As said before, just because it gets slightly better at max lvl does not make it less broken, just differently.

    Yeah that's a pretty silly statment. If you are having that much trouble, you may need to read a couple guides.  You have the ability to not be hit in AoW. Understanding this makes it very different than you "typical" mmorpg.

     

    If you get hit, you made a mistake. No two ways about it.  You make too many mistakes you die. There is a reason no other mmorpg has offered $150,000 winner take all 1v1 tourny.

  • OnigodOnigod Noord-HollandPosts: 688Member

    No they do it for a better world, they made the game only for your fun and nothing else.. o wait ofcourse they do it for just the money. Do they do it in a smart way? no

     

     

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,280Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Onigod

    No they do it for a better world, they made the game only for your fun and nothing else.. o wait ofcourse they do it for just the money. Do they do it in a smart way? no

     

     

    They do it just like EVE, and GW2... Yeah sure a pure sub game would be nice. Hard to do that when games are being given away for free...

     

    No box fee though thank god. I spent 80$ on swtor, 50 on TSW, 60 on GW2, 50 on Pandara, 50 on RIFT. Complete bullshit last year. The industry robbed me last year. While i've paid on $9 for AoW since december... Hell I'm looking for something I can spend 10-15$ on, because I feel like I'm robbing them! 

     

     

  • AresPLAresPL ElblagPosts: 290Member
    Originally posted by Gdemami

     


    Originally posted by AresPL

     

    as You noticed this isny typical MMO, in china shaolin wins with tang, ppl have to train more, in chinese version only tang are complaining


     

    On the contrary. It is a typical MMO, only difference how you level your character.


    As said before, just because it gets slightly better at max lvl does not make it less broken, just differently.

     

    its more ppl like You who dont know much but talk, rock/paper/scissor isnt just about using block, normal attacks and feint, You need to know buffs, other styles and blocks

     

    lets take it as shaolin vs tang, they use weituo stick which have 2 moves to run/fly to enemy, their block buff same as RG eagle claw add them speed, they also throw dart with slow debuff when they get in range with tang, most tang who dont know will use block which will be mistake as then shaolin will break it and add them big slow debuff +silence "flying" skills

     

    its kinda like in moba games, where You have few classes but in each they have few characters with their ways to play, game is well planed only coz few ppl dont know how to handle it doesnt mean game is bad, after 4years only sholars were nerfed as almost no one played emei as sholars aoe heal worked for everyone not just them +small dmg nerf in kicking style

     

    @bcbully at 36lvl 2nd will be good, especially with dagger, but later everyone will be able to get throwing style easy, +You have 1clanless throwing style already in TV

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,865Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by AresPL

    its more ppl like You who dont know much but talk, rock/paper/scissor isnt just about using block, normal attacks and feint, You need to know buffs, other styles and blocks lets take it as shaolin vs tang, they use weituo stick which have 2 moves to run/fly to enemy, their block buff same as RG eagle claw add them speed, they also throw dart with slow debuff when they get in range with tang, most tang who dont know will use block which will be mistake as then shaolin will break it and add them big slow debuff +silence "flying" skills

    Oh dear..what a wall of clueless assumptions :/


    1)
    "Approach" skill is completely useless on target that is moving as your target will run away from skill distance in time you are approaching. In fact it will even slow you down. You also waste your flying skill energy while Tang can just be happily running on foot saving energy for later.

    2)
    The speed buff is no way near to buff Tangs got and despite parry buff, you still take a lot of damage from those 32 dmg darts(yeah, gear does not matter, right?) and you still get slowed down by all tang attacks. No way for you to catch kiting Tang.

    3)
    Shaolin skill sets has no Dart skill whatsoever.

    As I said before, it gets a bit better later on when you get Goose and more HP/Parry but that does not make it less broken.

    Tangs, RG and WV will be owning you hard for quite a long time before you get your levels and gear, even then it will be hit or miss with them.

  • AresPLAresPL ElblagPosts: 290Member

    assumptions? I am playing this game from june and know all skills, maybe Your ping sux, as in chinese version theres no problem in catching any one, everyone got basic throwing skill, in NA CB1 I beat tang and beggar from DragonV at same time only coz they know as much about this game as You and were sure that 2v1 will be their win

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,865Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by AresPL

    assumptions? I am playing this game from june and know all skills, maybe Your ping sux, as in chinese version theres no problem in catching any one, everyone got basic throwing skill, in NA CB1 I beat tang and beggar from DragonV at same time only coz they know as much about this game as You and were sure that 2v1 will be their win

    Cool story, Dart Shaolin :-P

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,280Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gdemami

     


    Originally posted by AresPL

    its more ppl like You who dont know much but talk, rock/paper/scissor isnt just about using block, normal attacks and feint, You need to know buffs, other styles and blocks

     

     

    lets take it as shaolin vs tang, they use weituo stick which have 2 moves to run/fly to enemy, their block buff same as RG eagle claw add them speed, they also throw dart with slow debuff when they get in range with tang, most tang who dont know will use block which will be mistake as then shaolin will break it and add them big slow debuff +silence "flying" skills


     

    Oh dear..what a wall of clueless assumptions :/


    1)
    "Approach" skill is completely useless on target that is moving as your target will run away from skill distance in time you are approaching. In fact it will even slow you down. You also waste your flying skill energy while Tang can just be happily running on foot saving energy for later.

    You fly past then charge back to the target. I learned this chasing people while robbing carts

    2)
    The speed buff is no way near to buff Tangs got and despite parry buff, you still take a lot of damage from those 32 dmg darts(yeah, gear does not matter, right?) and you still get slowed down by all tang attacks. No way for you to catch kiting Tang.

    Speed DEBUFF re read.  It cancels tang speed buff.

    3)
    Shaolin skill sets has no Dart skill whatsoever.

    not yet. We are only playing a 3rd of the game. It's still beta. Shaolin 4th set is ranged I believe. 4th set has not been relesed yet.

     

    As I said before, it gets a bit better later on when you get Goose and more HP/Parry but that does not make it less broken.

    Tangs, RG and WV will be owning you hard for quite a long time before you get your levels and gear, even then it will be hit or miss with them.

    Saw a guy last night with 14 challenge win streak. He had 3 pieces of wood qaulity (lowest) gear 2 silver and a couple copper quality.

    Again. If you get hit, you made a mistake. We all make mistakes. Make too many you die, but you can avoid be hit completely if you are skilled. 

     

  • AresPLAresPL ElblagPosts: 290Member

    when You will be able to use this, then we may talk, till then everything You say will be assumptions 

     

    http://oi50.tinypic.com/34gow2t.jpg

     

     

    yes shaolin 4th got 3 ranged skills and speed debuff

  • PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Sonoma, CAPosts: 122Member Uncommon
    Sorry to break it to you but every game is made for money basicly.  If they didn't make money we would have none of the games.

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.