Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: $8 Million and Counting

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Roberts Space Industries has announced that Star Citizen has crossed the eight million mark in crowd-funding, exceeding the total amount raised during last year's original crowd-funding campaign by $1.75 million.

Learn more about Star Citizen.

Comments

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Simply amazing.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i pledged $60 i LOVED the wing commander games.. hopefully all the great ideas pan out

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213
    I backed it for a slightly embarassing amount of money. This thing is gonna be epic.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Originally posted by ishist
    I backed it for a slightly embarassing amount of money. This thing is gonna be epic.

great avatar!!!:) david tennant is my hero:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Really looking forward to this one.  If they get it even half right, it will be more than worth the money.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49
    omg this game looks incredible... 
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    This may turn out really great. I'm keeping an eye on it.

Joined - July 2004

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    crowd funding, more like p2w cash grabbing.  ugh.
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

The game hasn't even hit a proper dev cycle, it's all about getting capital investment with giving no returns and you guys are endorsing this?

You are investing in a company and getting nothing save SWAG in return.

You are getting conned, you may not think you are, but who thinks they are getting conned while giving hard money for items and a "promise" the game will be developed.

Lets just keep rewarding bad business with more business! There is a reason venture didn't touch this guy. There is a big reason.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

The game hasn't even hit a proper dev cycle, it's all about getting capital investment with giving no returns and you guys are endorsing this?

You are getting conned, you may not think you are, but who thinks they are getting conned while giving hard money for items and a "promise" the game will be developed.

Lets just keep rewarding bad business with more business! There is a reason venture didn't touch this guy. There is a big reason.

The venture people's reasoning was that gamers don't want a space simulation MMO and it would appear they were dead wrong.  The business professionals don't always know what is right, god knows these are the very same people that crash markets, speculate commodities into inflationary prices and they have invested into and created as many failed games as successful ones.

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

People like you and poster above you are reason we are getting COD, FIFA, Battlefield  every year. oh and WoW clones also.

LONG LIVE KICKSTARTER !!! Wastlend 2, Shadowrun returns, Planetary Annihalation , Dreamfall chapters, Dead State, War for The Overworld, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, FTL, Chivalary Medieval Warfare and others !!!

venture actually did touch this guy also publishers are not run buy gamers anymore, they are run buy corporate money suckers who will try to squize every money from gamers on cheap clones like COD franchise...

Thank God we have guys like Brian Fargo and  Chris Roberts. We are in PC renaissance it just some pl are to blind to realise this.

Originally posted by Grotar89

People like you and poster above you are reason we are getting COD, FIFA, Battlefield  every year. oh and WoW clones also.

LONG LIVE KICKSTARTER !!! Wastlend 2, Shadowrun returns, Planetary Annihalation , Dreamfall chapters, Dead State, War for The Overworld, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, FTL, Chivalary Medieval Warfare and others !!!

venture actually did touch this guy also publishers are not run buy gamers anymore, they are run buy corporate money suckers who will try to squize every money from gamers on cheap clones like COD franchise...

Thank God we have guys like Brian Fargo and  Chris Roberts. We are in PC renaissance it just some pl are to blind to realise this.

i agree ill put my faith in these types of guys making a decent game than waiting for the next EA published MMO..  strange how so many complain the MMO genre is dying are stagnant yet are unwilling to put and trust into indie and or smaller developers with fresh ideas but instead will buy the next big name published MMO without blinking an eye then complain how it's "just like everything else"... yes of course it's a risk and of course the project could go under but thats the risk many are willing to take to see certain ideas come to life.. 

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

wait wait... Showrun Returns? oh please please please!!! I loved the nintendo version but the one they brought out the other year was a mess!!!

This site REALLY needs a Kickstarter section!!!!

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Wow, did you even just say that? venture does not give a fuck about players. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They dont give a fuck if we get a game that is fun or not.  They only care about money.

Venture wants only to invest in yet ANOTHER CoD or WoW clone, which is guarenteed to make a fast profit, and also be short lived so they can do the same thing in a year.  But, if this game is succesful, then I gaurentee, you will see a dozen clones by EA and Activision, and other large companies trying to play catch up.

Here is what investors see, and this is ALL they see.

Game A(CoD clone): Projected to net at least $1 billion in sales minimum

Game B(any more niche genre): We have no numbers, but if we guess it might net about $200 million in sales.

There choice is obvious. They will flood the market with a thousand clones as long as the little kiddies with no imaginations keep buying them, and completely refuse to progress the game industry by taking any risks.

This kickstarter just proves that players WANT something different, and are willing to take the risks that industry refuses to take.

Also, Chris Roberts is not some unknown, out of the shadows guy, he is the mind behind wing commander and freelancer

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by rentantilus

I don't get it.

I mean, I loved Wing Commander as much as any other teenager in the '90s, but this vision for a Wing Commander style MMO is confusing. Wouldn't a match-made, arena style space fighter game be more of what he's looking for here?

That video talks a lot about a dynamic world, playing all kinds of roles, and exploration, yet all he really seems interested in is that he can fly a space fighter from a space carrier. Why would you bother trying to tack-on an EVE style universe when all you're really after is the action that happens during the average episode of Battlestar Galactica? "Bad guys, scramble fighters!"

Once again, not trying to be derisive here; I'm just confused. If all I wanted was to recreate the Coliseum fight from Gladiator in a video game, I wouldn't bother sculpting an epic fantasy world around it. I'd just make a kick-ass arena, a bunch of awesome characters, and a really robust combat system.

Its supposed to be a blend of wing commander and freelancer, which was a more open world space sim and both of which Roberts has a large part in making.

I think he is focusing on the sapce combat part, as that is the part that is most unique in todays MMO market. He want people ot realize it is NOT another eve style, stat and turn based combat affair, but a full breed action space sim, that also incorporates all the elements of freelancer that made it more of a single player MMO.

Roberts has always been about creating large worlds, and freelancer was amazing. Even wing commander, while focusin on combat, has lots of world building.  You dont have to just fly around and shoot em up, if you want to play as a trader, you can just flying a cargo ship and trade.

Really rather then think wind commander with eve tacked on, think Eve with wind commander combat.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Usually you get to pay AFTER the job is done.

People are weird and funny tho and can throw money on about anything...or in fact in exchange for nothing..

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

If youve not done your research on Star Citizen you shouldnt make biased comments like "another Eve clone?"

Consider this Wing Commander not only brought gaming graphics to realization on the PC but set the standard of gaming graphics for all the games currently played today. Prior to Wing Commander Consoles held the reign of the gaming industry for graphics.

Now, Star Citizen is not an MMO, per se... it is but isnt. I can group with friends, invite them onto my ship let them man the snub nose fighter on my Constellation Starship and mount the turrets cannons. I can create fleets with my friends and we can be anything from commercial traders, to Fighter pilots in the military, to Pirates or bounty hunters. It is an active universe that if Chris Roberts gets his way will be updated far more often than any game currently out. Chris stated he plans on doing micro updates weekly.

On the side of exploration you can modify your ship with all the latest tech and search out worm holes. Now if you happen to find one you can sell the information or you can explore it yourself. In the case of the latter you will have the option to name the sysem you find. But traveling the wormholes is risky business. it is not guaranteed.

Yes there is a PVP element to the game and in any space sim there should be.. its a contested area where things can change in a hot second. Space itself is unfriendly so you can expect anyone you meet to be either friend or foe. there are no guarantees in life so it is in space.

This game wont be for everyone but I have followed Chris Roberts for over 12 years and Have played every game he has developed and know one thing if anything. If Chris Roberts says hes going to do something you can bet your ass he will do it.

Now on the matter of the 8 million dollars raised by gamers. It is by gamers alone so far. will RSI get corporate backing? more than likely but because of the massive funds brought in by the gamers RSI will maintain most of the control of the game. The corporate backers would be more partners in its later phases.

Oh and developement actually started prior to the crowd funding and kickstarter processes so they are alot farther along than many would think. RSI gives weekly to bi weekly updates on thier site to the founders and subscribers. New race info, new ship info and nice background stories so that when we enter this universe that is Star Citizen we will have an idea of whats going on.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Good God what is it with certain people on here the PC is now at a golden age all those devs who are either geting fired/redundant or plain had enough of the corparate BS ,now have the chance to make the games of our dreams and make a living and  now we are getting Dreamfall Chapters on the latest KS.

And if you think this KS model does not work check out Josh Parnel and Limit Theory and not to mention SC with constant updates and community interaction never seen before in any game.

So yeah I wanna go back to companies spunking 150 million dollars up the wall and ruining   an IP,completely to ignore there beta testers and  potential fan base and deliver sub standard games dare I mention  Colonial marines any one ?

p>
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Usually you get to pay AFTER the job is done.

People are weird and funny tho and can throw money on about anything...or in fact in exchange for nothing..

Go google the meaning of the word "to invest" or "an investment". 

Kickstarter is a tool of both monetary investment as well as an invenstment in public awareness - the MAIN important thing in case for major backers and investors to step in - because they only invest into stuff that CAN be profitable, since the basis of investment is getting a profit. 

So kickstarter users are "investing" into the game, for the "profit" of Game being released, as well as getting additional goodies, and they at the same time are the proof for major backers that the market is profitable.

Its a win-win situation and a commonplace practice in a free-economic society - you do not always "pay" for the goods that are already there - your money can be an investment in hopes of a future gain.  That's the reason we have, well, ANYTHING EVER?

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Originally posted by Yuui
    Go google the meaning of the word "to invest" or "an investment". Kickstarter is a tool of both monetary investment as well as an invenstment in public awareness - the MAIN important thing in case for major backers and investors to step in - because they only invest into stuff that CAN be profitable, since the basis of investment is getting a profit. So kickstarter users are "investing" into the game, for the "profit" of Game being released, as well as getting additional goodies, and they at the same time are the proof for major backers that the market is profitable.Its a win-win situation, stop whining. 

Follow your own advice and find out what investment is. Then google donation.

KS money are donated, not invested and why people put their projects there they DO NOT WANT investors, they want donations.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Yuui
    Go google the meaning of the word "to invest" or "an investment". 

Kickstarter is a tool of both monetary investment as well as an invenstment in public awareness - the MAIN important thing in case for major backers and investors to step in - because they only invest into stuff that CAN be profitable, since the basis of investment is getting a profit. 

So kickstarter users are "investing" into the game, for the "profit" of Game being released, as well as getting additional goodies, and they at the same time are the proof for major backers that the market is profitable.

Its a win-win situation, stop whining. 

Follow your own advice and find out what investment is. Then google donation.

KS money are donated, not invested and why people put their projects there they DO NOT WANT investors, they want donations.

Donation would imply putting something up without expecting a gain.

Investment is something that you put expecting an incoming gain or increase in value, which is true for kickstarter, especially considering how the billing system there works(you do not get billed unless the goal is complete, hence, unless there's a certain proof of guarantee of the success of your investment).

Kickstarter can call it whatever it wants. Kickstarter could have been intending to be whatever it wanted to. But right now its exactly that.

Kickstarter projects offer an increase in value with an increase of your investment, some developers even call the supporters investors, most of projects work on the basis of you getting something for your support, in most of cases exchanging your financial aid for an increase in the value you gain. 

At the same time, while it was not intended to be as such - kickstarter is a great way to be used in market-research as its a very good way to gauge custommer interest in a certain key markets researched (in this case space-simulator games) as you get both the money-value custommers are willing to put in AND the amount of market-interest the product generates. 

I make a living of this stuff, so we can go about another few hours  here or you can just concede. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Originally posted by YuuiI make a living of this stuff, so we can go about another few hours  here or you can just concede.   

I concede, not going to argue with someone who does not understand the difference between elemental concepts of donation, investment and purchase/spending.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    I backed this one ages ago so i'm firmly behind the game, but, people need to reign in their expectations about what all this crowd funding is going to provide. "Golden age" and "rennaisance"... cool your jets folks, so far all we have are lots of good ideas with the words and phrases we all want to hear being said. It will be another couple of years before we start to see just how good any of these games will be.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    lol business men, investors like that, deserve no place in gamin...so it is a good thing they didn't back them

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

It's been said already: crowdfunding <> investing.

I put up some money to back the game. I didn't spend more then what a new game normally costs on a PC or console. That amount makes sense for me personally. Others rightfully have their own approach to the concept.

To me, it's no different then pre-ordering a game. That the dude has a solid resume for video games is all the more reason for me to pre-order.