Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any of you older gamers have reflex issues?

13»

Comments

• ZharreZharre Member UncommonPosts: 80

At 40, it's pretty much the same as it's always been, I guess. I've never been much of a fan of high speed twitch combat.  Now, if you're simply using 'twitch' to mean 'player must react to something', then it varies. I kinda like to have some of that, so long as it's not constantly 'player must perform action(s) within half a second or die horribly, while circle strafing and bunny hopping' (I hate, hate, hate hate that kinda thing), but it generally is not (and has never been) something I want a lot of or want to be focused on. I can't really tell if I'm any worse at it now than I've ever been, as it's always been something that- at high speeds- I never enjoyed enough to bother getting good at. I guess, basically, I like to have something like, 'I blocked that attack, so now I can use this post-block attack in response or start this attack chain that only opens on a block', and not  repeatedly  nothing more than 'counter that attack or it takes a huge chunk of my life!'. I'm good at one of those, and I hate the other so much that I'm only 'good enough' at it and put up with it only if I like the rest of the game enough to look past what, to me, is unenjoyable combat.

To sum up, I guess my reflexes are pretty much the same... but since I never honed mine to a razor's edge, a bit of dulling might not be so apparent.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Safo
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

I have to agree with Sovrath, I'm 41 and haven't slowed down at all.

I do play alot of FPS games, so my twitch stays frosty.  I don't use any fancey mouse or Keyboard, just standard fare.. a regular ole 101 KB and 5 button mouse.  I have no problems being at the top of the heap in BF3 , Chivalry, etc. 

GW2 and Tera are just more icing on the cake.  Games like this keep my reflexs sharp.

haha, would those around you say you haven't slowed down?  I am guessing 'your' answer will be 'no' so don't worry.  

lol well sure there is that... the devil is in the details and all that.  Sometimes you feel like you lose a step but, thank god I'm not playing COD or anything in console land to make myself feel ancient as I get facerolled by some 10yr olds screaming the latest fould langauge they learned at school. :)

Mate, you want to see my latest effort to keep fit, pulled so many muscles it hurts to sit here responding to you.  

That just shows how dedicated you are to these forums.  As a gamer you can't be bothered by little things like pulled muscles, a sore back, arthritis, carapule tunnel, young kids bouncing on your junk.  You grit your teeth, you suck down a bottle of asprin, slap on some Heatpads and fire up that PC and bring the pain!

Well was using beer as a painkiller, what is latin for that?

Carpe Zytha...  Seize the Beers!  :D

Be honest... did you use the google translator?

Nope didn't.  Tho I did use google to look up the latin for beer. :D   I actually did take a semester of latin in Uni. :)

Sorry, just read this and fell in love with you a little

is this a first date?

Shit, I missed half our first date

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

fossils can nolonger consume extra large pizzas late at night, gastric reflex/ux problem
    they also can not sit for 4 and 6 hrs w/o the *ss/spine aching.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by kirak2009

Hey Folks;

I have been wondering if it's just me or if any of you other older gamers have any issues at all with the fast paced, relfex-centric MMO's that are available in today's market.

I am finding more and more as time goes on, that I really don't play well when it comes to the twitch gaming, button smashing games, which i used to thrive at.

Kinda made me wish longingly, for a newer more up to date Turn based combat MMO, something to give the older folks, like myself a few seconds to make that tactical decision, was watching/helping my granddaughter play a 101 game ( arrrr )  and was thinking man this is kinda nice, time to think about what you are doing, and still some MMO fun.

I wouldn't mind something like that f a little more adult oriented, for myself  and perhaps others in the reflex challenged generation.

Gaming online since  BBS's

Oh anyone who knows of a turn based combat MMO, toss it a mention :)

I have a limited attention span problem.  I cannot be bothered to sit and concentrate relentlessly on a twitch mmo for hours. I have the TV on, or I am doing other things, and I do not want my entire evening to be spent solely starring at my monitor.  So yes, I also miss the more relaxed playstyles.  

Edit: I also enjoy P101 for the same reasons.  

This is why I do not like games that are slower paced.  IMO if you're distracted enough to not even bother playing the game , or worse off don't feel the need to use all your focus on the game then the game becomes pointless.  But each has thier own beliefs.

Used to always hate playing a game like WoW and hear people talk on vent about what movie or show their currently waching.  I do not understand that philosophy myself.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

Can't do TERA or Vindictus type games.  Subject to motion sickness.  Not fast enough to PvP.  Doubt it is a reflex problem.  I'm just not really "there" all the time.  My mind wanders like medieval bardic aristocrat.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I am still ok in MMOs, I think. Not exactly top of the game, but I wasn't top of the game in Ultima Online either. But FPS... oh my god I feel OLD!

I remember in the early CS and TF, I was actually a threat to be reckoned with. Always in the upper half I revelled in hunting down hackers, attacking them from angles they did not expect. Yur mind was very focused when the turn started "Kill kill KILL"

Nowadays though... I enter CS for example, buy my weapon and half the team is already in position. Then run forward... see an enemy! Here the only thought is supposed to be "shoot!" Not nowadays... its more like "Oh look, a guy. is he an enemy? I think so, he is aiming at me, I need to aim too! Let me see.. try for head? Yeah, try head... Aaand... respawn"

The whole idea is evolutionary of course. I can live with that. Old people are slower in mind and body, so when a group is attacked by predators the old ones gets eaten first, and the younger who can still multiply and support the group, gets away. But when the threat is not wandering tigers but a funny game, its damn annoying!

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• replicantreplicant Member Posts: 46
    I'm 40 years old and have Psoriatic Arthritis, but I still do fine and am competitive in whatever game I choose to focus on. Whether I am doing PvP in WoW, RvR in DAoC, WvW in GW2, Counter-Strike, etc (or dungeons/raids) you just have to figure out how to adapt and use a class that you can utilize throughout whatever shortcomings you may possess.

Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by rnor6084

Same here.

Far as consoles go the more buttons on a controller the more confused i get. :)

My kids laugh at me. I think it is funny too ha! 

You should watch me try to play Call of Duty on the xbox with my son. When I see another player I try to target him and all you see is sky or ground...then I die.

I actually used to hate video games and thought they were a waste of time. Then my brother-in-law wouldn't shut up until I tried SWG...I have been playing mmo's ever since.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I've always been pretty bad at MMO PvP, even when playing UO at 12 and 13, but it was more about not being too great at multi-tasking. When I ran into a Player Killer I'd usually sort of freeze up and wasn't able to think clearly enough to balance the combat, healing, and movement.

Because my multi-tasking wasn't great (also pretty poor at RTS Multiplayer) I had thought of myself as excellent at FPS games. With these it was more about pure focus, reflex, and anticipation. For many years I was quite good at them but now at 27 I do find that I pretty much get my ass handed to me whenever I play them the same way I used to. Before I'd play these games almost entirely with a short distance 1-hit kill weapon like a shotgun, but now I can only really enjoy them with a Sniper Rifle from a distance. I can still anticipate where someone might go or when they'll pop up, but I I don't really have the reflexes anymore or especially the focus to shoot them before they shoot me. At least Sniping gives me time to line up a shot.

I also recently discovered that now, seemingly out of the blue, I enjoy the taste of licorice. I honestly could never stomach the stuff before. What's happening to me!?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

My only "older gamer" effect is vision issues (i.e. these reading glasses).

But that one's pretty normal.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Yeah OP, I have noted a decline. Ten years ago I could “whirly-gig” around in mouse turning melee combat with the absolute best of them but now? I am way slower and I notice it. I can’t keep up with the pace of the leet melee kids and sometimes my eyes blur when my screen is full of particle effects making it harder to track mine enemy. It’s lead me to want to play more ranged classes with solid CC to be competitive. I refuse to stoop to buying special keyboards and mice to be competitive as it feels like another kind of pay to win.

It has bothered me in GW2 recently with fighting thieves and mesmers in WV3. Some of those thieves vanish in and out of stealth so rapidly I can’t target and when I do its cleared with every re-stealth. Might ought to just go ele for a change and stand in a perma meteor storm. And when a bunch of mesmer clones are exploding I can’t see any detail around. LOL... I manage to compete. But I feel so old now for it. Makes me sad. Dogged little munchkins and their dual daggers.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

50 this year image

i guess reflex's arent as fast or as accurate as they used to be, but then im not sure they ever were image

but i still enjoy playing FPS games so i guess im not quite over the hill yet, and while my K/D ratio in PS2 isnt that awesome, its not completely awful either, on the other hand i no longer spend half the night playing games either image

• CheboyganCheboygan Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by bhug

fossils can nolonger consume extra large pizzas late at night, gastric reflex/ux problem
    they also can not sit for 4 and 6 hrs w/o the *ss/spine aching.

ah-men brother!

fortunately there is aleve and zantac 150

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    I am shocked at how many other players are older gamers.  I always lied about my age in games because I was too embarrassed to admit that I was in my 40's.  Thought they'd think I was some kind of creepo.  I'm so glad that I am not alone.  All of you guys are creepo's too.
  • taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

My reflexes and eyes are showing signs of aging. I have always had problems with the awkward left hand position on the wasd keys. Since i bought the Razer Nostromo however, my gaming has improved and with the customization you can make this device into whatever you need for a game. I love it and highly reccomend getting one if you play a lot. Your left hand will thank you for it.

They have a newer version called "Orbweaver" whoever came up with that crappy name should be fired. Anyways, the new one looks just as nice, but they removed the mouse wheel for an additional row of keys. I might get it eventually.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Azaqin

Yeah, I'm in my 40s and suffering from arthritis, so the twitch games really aren't a good option for me. I get by now using a combo of Logitech stuff. A G13 left hand pad, a Logitech MMO mouse, and a G110 keyboard. I prefer the Logitech over the Razer (which I also have) because the buttons are canted in a pattern and they are easier for me to locate. 

my exact setup, unfortunately I find myself getting too slow to use the G13 anymore even

Im going keyboard/mouse combo on most things

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    52 and I prefer twitch style combat.  As long as it isn't FPS combat.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

No way!

Im 45, been gaming all my life, and I am currently playing Planetside 2. I have no problems keeping up, and my k/d ratio is avg to good.

I think the key is staying active. I always have some kind of project going, and I have hobbies the keep my mind sharp. I dont use fancy keyboards or mouse. Just pure willpower.

• TE5LATE5LA Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Um... What was the question? :)
  • benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293

Well getting older slows us down, but how many oldies here are staying in shape? If your body is in shape your mind can endure more. Why do you think we can't keep up with those kids? They are in the best shape of their lives. You can also combine getting/staying in shape with eye hand coordination training.

If you just sit on your ass all day you get slower, also on a keyboard ;)