Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turbine Maintenance Implodes

MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

https://twitter.com/lotro

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?501471-Turbine-Maintenance-Update-2-15-2013

What was 24 hours downtime starting with 6AM Thursday with completion estimated at 6AM EST Time Friday is still "ongoing" at 37 hours.

Turbine doing the right thing and giving credit and TPs to VIPs.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?501471-Turbine-Maintenance-Update-2-15-2013

Comments

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Yea, it's starting to get old, fast.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I wonder what's up with that?  Restructuring a data-center maybe.

Is a major patch expected?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by XAPGames

"Billing and Support systems upgrades and maintenance."

"Today's maintenance is for our back-end systems, like billing and customer service. Nothing is changing in-game."

Not even "gameplay" related, that's the kicker.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by XAPGames

"Today's maintenance is for our back-end systems, like billing and customer service. Nothing is changing in-game."

LOL Billing.  To err is human, to really foul things up requires an accountant.

TY for ithe info,  Never even considered that side of things.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Still down and closing in on the 48 hours down mark which must be a record for an MMO downtime.

They have said VIP's will get a day extra VIP time for every day they lose plus 1 extra day on top of that plus 250 TP.

Premiun players will get 250 TP as long as they have logged into their accounts within the last 30 days.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Sounds like decent compensation better then what SOE gives which is nothing besides hampster videos.
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Sounds like decent compensation better then what SOE gives which is nothing besides hampster videos.

It does and they are keeping everyone up to date via Twitter which is good.

• huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210

only got back into lotro this week hopefully it wilol be up later today . but someone has done a class one screw up i think

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by XAPGames I wonder what's up with that?  Restructuring a data-center maybe.   Is a major patch expected?  

Not even "gameplay" related, that's the kicker.

Billing might possibly be the most important system.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Scummyman

Still down and closing in on the 48 hours down mark which must be a record for an MMO downtime.

Or not :) It's pretty common, at the f2p transition there were 1+ day downtimes, at the first Update after f2p again, and somewhere around Isengard launch too (though that wasn't continuous, they tried to gave back servers, only to switch them down again a few hours later... that lasted more than two days :) )

And of course the server migration to the US, but that doesn't count I think. And in Turbine's favor, they always give extra days when this happens.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Or not :) It's pretty common, at the f2p transition there were 1+ day downtimes, at the first Update after f2p again, and somewhere around Isengard launch too (though that wasn't continuous, they tried to gave back servers, only to switch them down again a few hours later... that lasted more than two days :) )

And of course the server migration to the US, but that doesn't count I think. And in Turbine's favor, they always give extra days when this happens.

Yes big downtimes are not unusual during patches, transitions etc... but this is scheduled maintentance. Maybe something has gone wrong that they didn't forsee.

I have faith they'll get it sorted though, they do listen to players and customers and keep this 5 year old game running.

One thing the downtime has shown me is that I am really keen to get back ingame and start playing again which hasn't happened in a long time.

I'm glad I started playing again as I have found a new vigour for MMO's again and LotRO in particular :)

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    I'm getting really annoyed at Turbine to be honest. It's been down since the 14th. 
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

not even close.....seen worse.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Well Scummy I hope it gets back up for you and you enjoy youre time there. I enjoyed LOTRO until I was just daily grinding at max lvl but it is a decent game. Miss my warden and hunter there.

But for those whining they are at least giving you something for it and keeping you informed. Far more then most do.... like SOE.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Doesnt beat EQ2 Maintenance fiasco. SOE brought down EQ2 one friday for a quick server side patch and was supposed to be back up with in 3 hours. Unfortunately there was a huge crash, to top it off majority of the devs called in sick so they could play. To make a long story short they could not get the servers back up until wednesday the following week. Their apology for this screw up was 2 weeks of double exp.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Servers still down, beginning to think that there maybe some major issues that what we are not being told about.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    surely if it was the patch they added they could just do a rollback...must be server related or maybe i,m wrong i know very little about how mmo's work..i have a hard enough time understanding them.
  • YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    New Turbine employee tried his skillz with /format c: on the servers.
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Yukmarc

LOL, I remember the days of employees going to the IT department saying OMG I did C: del *.* by mistake :( I just got back into playing this game a few weeks ago, and miss playing it, but I sure hope they didn't format the character server :P

• DukeTyrionDukeTyrion Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by Kyarra

LOL, I remember the days of employees going to the IT department saying OMG I did C: del *.* by mistake :( I just got back into playing this game a few weeks ago, and miss playing it, but I sure hope they didn't format the character server :P

I remember the days of; rm -r *

What gets me is, why didn't they do the maintenance earlier in the week, then if anything goes wrong they have the whole week to sort it out (and contact contractors for help). By leaving it until the end of the week any issues are going to mean weekend downtime, which costs them more internally and upsets their client base who have the highest game time at the weekend!

Very short sighted.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Almost unrelated to OP, more to the people chatting. Am I the only one nowadays that still do "format c:" every few years on the puter? when I telll my friends they think I am insane, but I always see amajor performance boost, so I hav eno problem with it. But I feel kinda alone in my social group.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by Harafnir
    Almost unrelated to OP, more to the people chatting. Am I the only one nowadays that still do "format c:" every few years on the puter? when I telll my friends they think I am insane, but I always see amajor performance boost, so I hav eno problem with it. But I feel kinda alone in my social group.

You aren't the only one. I still do spring cleaning on my computer by backing up music and pictures, formatting and reinstalling everything from scratch. It's a bit old school, but I've been doing it for so long that it just makes sense to me. Get all the latest drivers installed without having old ones still lingering, etc.

My last "Spring Cleaning"  happened a few weeks ago was by accident. I was doing a dual boot with Ubuntu Linux and I totally trashed my partitions... ooops..

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

You aren't the only one. I still do spring cleaning on my computer by backing up music and pictures, formatting and reinstalling everything from scratch. It's a bit old school, but I've been doing it for so long that it just makes sense to me. Get all the latest drivers installed without having old ones still lingering, etc.

My last "Spring Cleaning"  happened a few weeks ago was by accident. I was doing a dual boot with Ubuntu Linux and I totally trashed my partitions... ooops..

I also do Spring cleaning of my computer by formatting the hard disc. It does wonders!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Almost unrelated to OP, more to the people chatting. Am I the only one nowadays that still do "format c:" every few years on the puter?

I think it depends, based on your purpose :) If you mean wipe and reinstall OS every once and a while, then nope, you're not the only one. If you mean cleaning the disk, erasing sectors and clusters, etc. then yep, you're alone nowadays... (I couldn't even tell when was the last time I typed format, probably before win95... btw never use format without /q with the 1-3T hdds of today:) )