Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The importance of staying focused on what is.. important

HokibukisaHokibukisa Midland, GAPosts: 185Member

I don't need to explain to this lot what the MMO Graveyard is. There are a lot of good ideas in the MMO Graveyard. Most didn't get there by being bad ideas.

I have no facts to back this up, but I believe that ambition and feature creep is what killed most of them.

I also don't need to explain to this lot what the quality triangle is, but I'll remind you all anyways because even though my boss knows about the quality triangle (it applies to banking software too), he still needs to be reminded from time to time that "this is too much scope creep for this release window".

Basically, what do you NEED, not what would be nice. I actually had to do this on friday so its fresh in my mind, 4 sprints into a 5 sprint dev cycle and they (product and database dictators) finally decide on the final data model, which the workflow that would be required to maintain the new data model is wildly out of scope for our one remaining sprint.

After much yelling at my superiors and product, I put the situation back into perspective. I understand your ambition to have the greatest ideas implemented and I know you promised it to the client. The bottom line is, we can't do that in the time you promised, they didn't really care for the enhancement and didn't ask for it, and it isn't a must have anyways.

Your options are:

1) We ship whatever horseshit I can throw together in 1 sprint, and it WILL be shitty and buggy.

2) We push the release window back.

3) Curb your ambition for unimportant, unnecessary crap and pull this feature *enhancement* that isn't important out of the scope.

We're all familiar with this, but we seem to forget about it every fucking dev cycle.

MMOs in the graveyard either started out with, or developed ENORMOUS ambitions for their game along the way.

Do you guys remember when every race in WAR was supposed to have its own capital city? Lots of people were dissappointed when the call was made to pull that from scope, but it was the right call at that point in time.

CU's biggest advantage, if its funded, is that it currently does not have the burden of such ambitions. I can't imagine CU will have a lot of wiggle room if it gets off the ground. And honestly some of the things mentioned that would be a large development effort aren't really that important. (but still really cool) Just ask of all the features mentioned about CU so far, what could be removed and leave you with a perfectly viable, fun MMRVR experience?

The things that can't be pulled, must be had. For the other things, they are still good ideas, and then there are TONS of good ideas on this forum. But they don't need to be there at launch. If it survives that far, you just earned the opportunity to make it better.

When looking over the good ideas and even the proposed features, keep budget and quality in mind and remember that CU could easily join that MMO Graveyard.

[/soapbox] and I yield back the balance of my time.

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon

ROFL. As a fellow programmer, I know exactly what you're talking about.

It seems to me that housing and especially housing in non-safe zones is not vital to CU's success at release. So if anything that has been discussed were to be postponed past release, it would be that.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• skyexileskyexile MelbournePosts: 692Member

Originally posted by meddyck
    ROFL. As a fellow programmer, I know exactly what you're talking about.It seems to me that housing and especially housing in non-safe zones is not vital to CU's success at release. So if anything that has been discussed were to be postponed past release, it would be that.

I agree, thats if its not tied into the RvR system, it could be that keeps and towers are are demolishable and upgradable by guilds/people and the housing system uses the same sort of assets.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.