Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When you say no PvE...

Comments

• koocmadaaakoocmadaaa Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I really do not understand the exclusion of no PvE.  I think it cheapens the whole MMO genre by turning it into a FPS style game.  IMO there needs to be some sense of player progression via some notion that your character matters.  When the only enemy there is to kill is someone else then to me there is no sense of being able to explore or relax. 

One of my greatest gamplay methods in an MMO is to stop and smell the roses, scroll in and out and just naturally take in the scenery and surroundings.  If I'm constantly having to watch my back then that sense of realism goes out the window.  Part of the alure of PvE is to see your self getting stronger and progressing.  I.e. Yesterday I couldn't kill that mob but today I own him, you jsut do not get that sense in a full on PvP game because you never know if your target is better or worse off then you in real life, so theres nothing to guage you progress.

Ohh well good luck with the game, really hope you re-consider and add PvE but if not, I'll just get my RvR fix out of ESO.

I completely agree here. While I'm not a die hard pve fan, I did like the option of it and considered it a means to learn your character, and lets face it in any game there are nights where not much is going on. I don't see housing/crafting as an alternate. So long as pve doesn't drop anything other than gold/crafting mats or junk to be sold for gold I don't see the problem. 

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Mark still wants to have new players in lowbie beginner zones so they can learn the game without high levels stomping them, like in warhammer.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• SyrixIISyrixII Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by koocmadaaa
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I really do not understand the exclusion of no PvE.  I think it cheapens the whole MMO genre by turning it into a FPS style game.  IMO there needs to be some sense of player progression via some notion that your character matters.  When the only enemy there is to kill is someone else then to me there is no sense of being able to explore or relax. 

One of my greatest gamplay methods in an MMO is to stop and smell the roses, scroll in and out and just naturally take in the scenery and surroundings.  If I'm constantly having to watch my back then that sense of realism goes out the window.  Part of the alure of PvE is to see your self getting stronger and progressing.  I.e. Yesterday I couldn't kill that mob but today I own him, you jsut do not get that sense in a full on PvP game because you never know if your target is better or worse off then you in real life, so theres nothing to guage you progress.

Ohh well good luck with the game, really hope you re-consider and add PvE but if not, I'll just get my RvR fix out of ESO.

I completely agree here. While I'm not a die hard pve fan, I did like the option of it and considered it a means to learn your character, and lets face it in any game there are nights where not much is going on. I don't see housing/crafting as an alternate. So long as pve doesn't drop anything other than gold/crafting mats or junk to be sold for gold I don't see the problem. 

I think the general idea is to provide the player with that sense of beinga new soldier on the battlefield. You go out very inexperienced and following the lead of others. With each passing battle and each passing day, your character learns more skills, gets stronger and pretty soon, you're the one leading the new recruits out into the war. You're directing the seige, slaughtering vikings, protecting the crafters while they erect buildings and fortifications. 

I get it if that is not your cup of tea, but it does create that same feeling as azzamasin was describing with the PvE feelings and experiences. It just does it for a different type of player. You get to fall back to "safer" zones and check the markets, socialize, and do the normal "city activities" of a MMO while others are out holding down the zones you've conquered.

I think to me, the biggest boon to no PvE is that zones and areas never become abandoned or dead zones. There will always be a reason to explore into an area, even years after the game is out, those same zones will be full of content (i mean targets(i mean players))... PvE games tend to use up content and leave it forgotten and abandoned. Pretty quickly sadly.

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    why more hype than ESO? guess i don't understand... eso seems to be providing the 3v3 and then some...is it mj love or more?
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by rogue187
    why more hype than ESO? guess i don't understand... eso seems to be providing the 3v3 and then some...is it mj love or more?

Because I don't want to PvE, at all. Camelot Unchained is pretty much my dream game in that regard. Having Mark Jacobs leading this project is a major plus, yes, because he made DAOC.... the best PvP/RvR MMO I've ever played.

• SyrixIISyrixII Member Posts: 43

I think it's obvious in my opinion. There is a growing crowd of people ready to see the MMO world change. Everything is either the same or very similar with just a slight new twist. MJ is offering a "path less traveled" for MMO gamers to traverse. If he pulls it off, it could be one piece of the puzzle to help grow and change the genre again after so long of a dry, repetetive market.

• Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by SyrixII

I think it's obvious in my opinion. There is a growing crowd of people ready to see the MMO world change. Everything is either the same or very similar with just a slight new twist. MJ is offering a "path less traveled" for MMO gamers to traverse. If he pulls it off, it could be one piece of the puzzle to help grow and change the genre again after so long of a dry, repetetive market.

AMEN! Couldn´t have said it better myself.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

As i have asked in other threads you seem to be bent on derailing....

Do you hate Mark Jacobs ?

Did he hurt you in some form ?

Or are you offended by his liberal use of hummingbird killings ?

I see your comments on all of these CU threads, i just do not understand why you hate the development of a new game, will it threaten ESO or Origins of Malu ?

Are you afraid that all of the good players will play CU leaving you in a wasteland of poor players ?

Maybe you can try and be less antagonistic and more optimistic about a new game being developed. Random hate repeated over and over really makes you seem suspicious....do you work for ESO or Malu devs and are trying deperately to derail any competition ?

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Voiidiin
    Random hate repeated over and over really makes you seem suspicious....do you work for ESO or Malu devs and are trying deperately to derail any competition ?

Please, don´t go there. As much as I agree with you, that rogue187 is complaining a bit too much about a game he just could ignore. There is so much wrong in going to insult other games, developers or fanbases. I´ve never seen any good come from this. Lets focus on this game and this game only. Camelot Unchained should be drawing enough by itself, without getting into "fights" with other games. If not, well then it just isn´t any good, I´m afraid.

So, even though there will be more and more people complaining about several things, especially no PvE. For Gods sake, please let us not fall into the "game-bashing" mentality that ruined so many communities.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Storm_Fireblade
    Random hate repeated over and over really makes you seem suspicious....do you work for ESO or Malu devs and are trying deperately to derail any competition ?

Please, don´t go there. As much as I agree with you, that rogue187 is complaining a bit too much about a game he just could ignore. There is so much wrong in going to insult other games, developers or fanbases. I´ve never seen any good come from this. Lets focus on this game and this game only. Camelot Unchained should be drawing enough by itself, without getting into "fights" with other games. If not, well then it just isn´t any good, I´m afraid.

So, even though there will be more and more people complaining about several things, especially no PvE. For Gods sake, please let us not fall into the "game-bashing" mentality that ruined so many communities.

in no way was my statement a hate on those other 2 games, Origin of Malu i helped Kickstart, and i in no way hate on ESO, my statement was directed towards his comments about Malu and ESO he has made in multiple threads in an attempt to throw disparaging remarks about CU. 

I do agree that arguing and denegrating other games is bad, but i was not doing that. His behavior and comments prompted me to ask that question.

Anyhow, i am far from a game basher, i think any game being developed should be celebrated, not torn down.

Lolipops !

in no way was my statement a hate on those other 2 games, Origin of Malu i helped Kickstart, and i in no way hate on ESO, my statement was directed towards his comments about Malu and ESO he has made in multiple threads in an attempt to throw disparaging remarks about CU. 

I do agree that arguing and denegrating other games is bad, but i was not doing that. His behavior and comments prompted me to ask that question.

Anyhow, i am far from a game basher, i think any game being developed should be celebrated, not torn down.

I didn´t intend to call you a game-basher specifically. I just wanted to make people aware of the downside, when including other games/studios... at all in such discussions. Already your question "do you work for ESO or Malu devs and are trying deperately to derail any competition" is enough for me to become cautious. I´ve seen so many situations, where discussions do derail, because of that. At some point someone will take it personally, because his own favorite game is being questioned and then its just "BOOM" after that.

So please, don´t see any personal assault here.

• GavendaGavenda Member Posts: 24

It is a real disappointment to me <3 yr DAOC player>, that this new version is PVP only.  As a bard, I was burned out from running and supporting groups in RVR and needed downtime in PVE and crafting to regenerate once in a while.  I really have to wonder if such a one-sided  approach will have any type of shelf life.

Having said that, I envy those who will get the opportunity to to see a newer version arise.  I just don't have the desire to run non-stop anymore:)

Good luck

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Isn't crafting PvE?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

Folks,

Let me clear this up since it's an easy one. There will not be PvE questing, PvE drops, PvE zones, PvE leveling.  There will be NPCs whether they are guards, animals, etc. 

Mark

None? Seriously?

Then I don't personally see this as DAoC 2 or even close, for me that is. It was both the RvR and the PvE worlds based upon the Camelot era mythos that made it special to me. I thrived in DAoC because I could one day go RvR, and the next group with my Guildies in PvE.

I am very sure many, many other Players will be thrilled with this RvR design philosophy however. I won't say this is bad, it is just bad for me.

I wish you and your Team the Best Sir. I mean that. I wish you, your Team, and CU the very best.

(As a old pre-SI DAoC Player I have wished for years for a DAoC 2 to be made.... and it IS getting made, it just will be missing 50% of what I was hoping for. Since I have said many times on these forums over the years I wanted a DAoC 2, I felt it necessary to say why I would not be interested in this project. I also felt just ignoring this thread about CU would be simply insulting.)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

People keep saying this game has NO NPC's which is not correct.

Yes, it isn't correct because currently this game has nothing.

These devs are making a big mistake hyping this game before it's even in proper development. When they have to change half their plans half way through development it's gunna bite them in the ass.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • C3llTherapyC3llTherapy Member Posts: 15

Folks,

Let me clear this up since it's an easy one. There will not be PvE questing, PvE drops, PvE zones, PvE leveling.  There will be NPCs whether they are guards, animals, etc. 

Mark

This is the only thing I have heard that I absolutely do not like the idea of. I wish it encompassed all these except for pve zones as well as the other ideas espoused. I remain open minded however because I could see the drops etc that normally on PVE's and PVE quests simply being moved to PVP and this may well provide a btter experience but I do have serious doubts about eliminating  and not inluding the PVE stuff.

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

Mark are you familiar with Warcraft 3 or Leage of Ledgends term "creeping"? I'm not trying to be sarcastic I honestly don't know if you're familiar with them.

If not, creeping is where you basically take on a PVE encounter inside of a PVP zone. This can actually work out pretty well.

When someone gets their creep on, they can be creep jacked.

Benefits could be stuff like crafting materials.

This is nothing new, daoc has it in the frontiers and always has, I'm just saying removing them could be a mistake. PvE camps could bring the landscape to life, contribute a theme (like remember the old fenris camp in yggdra forest?), and provide a great opportunity for crafters.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

This.

People keep saying this game has NO NPC's which is not correct. The only thing Mark said is that there will be no NPC [drops].

The best way to accomplish this is to ensure that there are no drops of powerful items from NPCs. Secondly, to make sure that the first point is followed, let’s just say that there are no NPC drops at all and damn few NPCs. - Mark J

so its basically like the Wrath of Heroes version of warhammer, but with a few npcs here and there ?

i guess since im a pve player this game wont be for me.... :/

damn

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by Hokibukisa

Mark are you familiar with Warcraft 3 or Leage of Ledgends term "creeping"? I'm not trying to be sarcastic I honestly don't know if you're familiar with them.

If not, creeping is where you basically take on a PVE encounter inside of a PVP zone. This can actually work out pretty well, allow me to explain.

When someone creeps, they take on an encounter with an NPC, basically in a very public area of a PvP area, which makes them a target for "creep jacking".

This is nothing new, daoc has it in the frontiers and always has, I'm just saying removing them could be a mistake. PvE camps could bring the landscape to life, contribute a theme (like remember the old fenris camp in yggdra forest?), and provide a great opportunity for crafters.

Or, these PvE camps could occupy the various player camps. You want to build a house there? Ok sure, but what about the werewolves? Do work.

I agree. There is a difference (to me) between PvE quests/PvE leveling and RvR-geared encounters with NPCs. Guards will be needed, camps may be needed, ways to get mats will be needed and if you don't level from killing those guys and don't have the quests tied to them, I don't consider them PvE really. Need a new term for them since PvE usually conjures up leveling and quests to most people which I was focusing on.

Does that clear it up some?

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

did pve and rvr go hand in hand ??

perks from rvr wins help youre relm in pve with added perks  and accsess to darkness falls/

and it worked very well till the atlantis xpan came out and made a right mess of things.

Originally posted by Hokibukisa

If not, creeping is where you basically take on a PVE encounter inside of a PVP zone. This can actually work out pretty well, allow me to explain.

When someone creeps, they take on an encounter with an NPC, basically in a very public area of a PvP area, which makes them a target for "creep jacking".

Or, these PvE camps could occupy the various player camps. You want to build a house there? Ok sure, but what about the werewolves? Do work.

I agree. There is a difference (to me) between PvE quests/PvE leveling and RvR-geared encounters with NPCs. Guards will be needed, camps may be needed, ways to get mats will be needed and if you don't level from killing those guys and don't have the quests tied to them, I don't consider them PvE really. Need a new term for them since PvE usually conjures up leveling and quests to most people which I was focusing on.

Does that clear it up some?

Yeah I think so, the primary focus is RvR. RvR will always be better progression, and no unique drops from PvE encounters. If anything sounds like PvE encounters would only offer redundant rewards at a lower reward ratio?

I'm trying to remember the name of the keep, not in emain, just beyond it. Crim? But everyone faught over that keep because there was a camp insta-spawning monsters that were weak to magic. Really it was a valuable realm resource sort of like an XP relic.

Or the more valuable moons in eve online. Im sure you'll have different resource benefits depending on different areas controlled (well I can hope at least) and monsters with good drops could be that valuable resource. If you don't own the keep near the camp, the guard creep jack you.

I mean you could do mining veins or herb gathering as a benefit there instead, but honestly I find right clicking on a rock and watching a green bar less satisfying than zenning out with a guild group roasting marshmallows and pulling groups of mobs.

I honestly never minded chain killing mobs as long as the company was good. This might be another opportunity for community building here. Imagine after taking a keep, upgrading it, builting the defenses hiring equiping the guards, you'd see over region chat "looking for a healer at the svartt camp". You wouldn't have to. Going and taking another keep would be more rewarding, but.. what if you just want to get your zen on? Or what about when the action dies down for the night but you have an extra two hours to kill. Thats usually when we'd go kill a dragon, and it wasn't a chore. Even hardcore guilds like broalition and insurection had a pve soft spot.

Of course, I know this would cost a lot more monies.. there is that. But perhaps if player housing is too much for the projected scope, sense I don't really see player housing doing anything for building a community (they are personal instances on the inside after all), perhaps consider spending that monies on some simple rudimentary mob camps.

edit: yup, it was crim

And i'm a little drunk now, but what if all 3 realm's technogies are based on different foundations?

Maybe the hibbies build their fortifications with ironwood, the albies build with stones, and the middies build with, idk, some kind of reinforced brick. Or maybe a primative concrete slab.

But anyways the point is, the resources you need, or at least the best resources, aren't in your backyard. They're in the enemy's backyard. It isn't really a benefit for them because it isn't their foundation material.

Itt you could do this kind of think for lots of the technolgies. Maybe they all use steel, but their magical steel alloys might be based on different magical materials. The pixies behind enemy lines, you tickle them and they explode into magic cocaine, I don't know.

I should go to bed.

Why not just call it PwE? Player with Enviroment? After all, somehow we are going to play with the enviroment and not against it like PvE suggests =)

• ExarchiExarchi Member Posts: 17

I was a huge fan of DAOC style PVP, and especially battlegrounds.

However, I'm a little worried this will just turn out like Planetside 2, which got dull very quickly.

Originally posted by Exarchi

I was a huge fan of DAOC style PVP, and especially battlegrounds.

However, I'm a little worried this will just turn out like Planetside 2, which got dull very quickly.

It just came out! They've got an awesome 6-month plan planned out.

Though, there is something to be learned from it's release but CU already has that as one of their pillars of truth, and that is COMMUNITY.

Ingame community is a must. PS2 doesn't really have too much of that, but what it could have done is have some way of seeing which individuals and outfits are having the biggest impact on your server, basically a PS2 herald.

And @ CU team, if you don't have the capacity to make a full featured camelot herald at release, you don't need to!

Just RSS that shit out and provide a public webservice providing the information needed to make a rich camelot herald and we can get some kick-ass community sites and web apps up and running before the game even launches. Free of charge and guaranteed to be better than hiring a budget web developer to do it for you.

Half of my old daoc crew are senior software engineers and we do this kind of shit for free when we're really passionate about it. You just provide the data.