Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: February’s Flame and Frost Update Detailed

13»

Comments

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by xalvi
    Originally posted by OsoPrime
    Originally posted by ranknvile

50 Year old ADULT who plays, and a Wife who is approaching 40 (yea...I married me a young'un) who logs in fanatically every day.

I disgaree about MMO's not being for adults...when it is as good as GW2.

Games are not suppose to be for adults in general, the end. I dont mean to diss you in any way but i used to like MMOs during my high school years but now looking back on it, i think these games are childish.

Again not to diss anyone but i really do thiink adults shouldnt be playing these games and start focusing on real life things lol.

Hate replies incoming.

Except your logic is based entirely on misguided opinion, consider the average age of gamers is 30 as reported by the ESA an entity that kind of sort of tracks that sort of thing with soemthing called  statistics because things like demographics are kind of sort of important in things like business. Adults have this thing called expendable income which they can use to buy things that admittedly aren't always practical, they also have more control over their free time because they can pretty much do whatever they want whenever they want if they feel like it. I know a ton of "adult" gamers, many of whom are professionals (doctors, lawyers, executives, engineers and the like) who are dedicated to gaming as a hobby. Oh let's not forget that the people who make video games to support the multi-billion dollar industry are also adults who typically play games. 

So yeah, I wouldn't let silly things like facts dissuade you. Gaming isn't the most productive of hobbies, but that's kind of the point of hobbies when as an adult you spend the majority of your time doing productive things like making money, raising families or sleeping it's nice to do something...*gasp* fun.

TL:DR You are either trolling or absolutely clueless.

Ya that is why you see so many adults playing video games...How many people play guild wars 2 exactly? or WoW which majority is a bunch of 12 year olds. Look at those facts and then say im trolling.

I'm deemed trolling because this is a gaming community and if i say something like this, which you know is true, you wouldn't accept it.

It's not true though.  You just made some stuff up the way you want it to be based on your opinion.  If it's true then you need to back up your claim with some proof.  That's what adults do.

Since I'm a grown-up most of the people I know are adult gamers.  Some of us have kids that game with us, but most people I know are adults since that's the age group I hang out with.

You're probably deemed trolling because you made a bunch of childish statements flaming people in an abrasive way and stated it as a truth.

Educate me what in the world is untrue about only about 3million people playing gw2, and 9million people playing WoW (which we all know mostly consists of young kids). What is hard to understand about that? What exactly did i make up?

There are over 315million americans, compare that to those who are playing video games. I dont understand what childish statement im making.

p.s- what you just said is your experience.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Mockery is the makeup envy puts on so it can be seen in public.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Veeeery thrilled about the informaiton on the guild missions. That will greatly help bridge the gap in content and will help to bring people to lower level areas. I would never have thought of that, but it's a brilliant move. Allowing for people outside the guild to participate when they see the flag sounds like it's going to solve a lot of issues all at once. Now, if they can just avoid making the rewards too huge a grind, it'll be perfect.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Originally posted by odinsrath

...snip...

wvw has become nuttin but a merry-go-round..zerg take this..zerg take this ..zerg take this..no one defends ..why? because your truly cant no matter how organized you are ..sheer numbers rule all ..my final flame...a.net panders to the wow crowd and for those who are looking for a diff. and good mmorpg stay away..this isnt it..i dont think any new mmorpg will ever be diff. from wow ..a.net has showed their hand to everyone and now they are all in...all in on the wow factor and cash grab

...snip...

Perhaps you need to consider getting a different group.  I have defended against zergs several times, the team I was with has one more often than not.  It all depends on the tactics employed, when going against some groups, if tactics are employed.  Now, back on topic.

The is great news!  I am looking forward to the all the new things that will be going on.

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Super pumped about yet another monthly update.

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by OsoPrime
    Originally posted by ranknvile

50 Year old ADULT who plays, and a Wife who is approaching 40 (yea...I married me a young'un) who logs in fanatically every day.

I disgaree about MMO's not being for adults...when it is as good as GW2.

Games are not suppose to be for adults in general, the end. I dont mean to diss you in any way but i used to like MMOs during my high school years but now looking back on it, i think these games are childish.

Again not to diss anyone but i really do thiink adults shouldnt be playing these games and start focusing on real life things lol.

Hate replies incoming.

Except your logic is based entirely on misguided opinion, consider the average age of gamers is 30 as reported by the ESA an entity that kind of sort of tracks that sort of thing with soemthing called  statistics because things like demographics are kind of sort of important in things like business. Adults have this thing called expendable income which they can use to buy things that admittedly aren't always practical, they also have more control over their free time because they can pretty much do whatever they want whenever they want if they feel like it. I know a ton of "adult" gamers, many of whom are professionals (doctors, lawyers, executives, engineers and the like) who are dedicated to gaming as a hobby. Oh let's not forget that the people who make video games to support the multi-billion dollar industry are also adults who typically play games. 

So yeah, I wouldn't let silly things like facts dissuade you. Gaming isn't the most productive of hobbies, but that's kind of the point of hobbies when as an adult you spend the majority of your time doing productive things like making money, raising families or sleeping it's nice to do something...*gasp* fun.

TL:DR You are either trolling or absolutely clueless.

Ya that is why you see so many adults playing video games...How many people play guild wars 2 exactly? or WoW which majority is a bunch of 12 year olds. Look at those facts and then say im trolling.

I'm deemed trolling because this is a gaming community and if i say something like this, which you know is true, you wouldn't accept it.

Then if games are for the kiddies why are you here on this site reading about them?  If they're so childish why are you here?  That in itself makes no sense.  The very fact you are making a comment here is entirely hypocritcal if you think mmos are childish. 

As for GW2, my entire guild is populated with people in their 30s.  You have to be over 18 to join, however we haven't managed to get anyone under the age of 25.  We don't mind younger people, we just never manage to recruit any, and I recruit people all the time.  Except they're all over the age of 25 and most of them are in their 30s.  It just so happens to be that way.   Could they be lying?  Nope.  Pretty much everyone is active on vent.   I'm not sure we could recruit kids if we tried.  We never seem to run into any. 

So you think mmo's are childish.  Fine.  Good for you.  No one cares in the least.  Would you consider political matters more adult?  Then go comment on those forums.  Again, if they're so childish what in the world are you even doing here? 

And as far as games being meant for kids, you may have been living under a rock, the gaming world has changed a LOT in the last few decades and evolved fully into an adult medium.   I don't let my kids play Grand Theft Auto 4 for instance.  Thats a kids game?  Oh no its not.  They had to put rating systems on games a good while back to try to prevent little kids or warn parents which games had adult material.  If you think all games or mmos are meant for little kids, you're way off.  I appreciate you've managed to climb out of the cave and find a PC.  Welcome to 2013.  Age of Conan has bare breasted women running around.  The genre moved far beyond kid centric stuff a long time ago.  Welcome to the modern age. 

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    Mockery is the makeup envy puts on so it can be seen in public.

very true.

Originally posted by itgrowls

I'll believe it when I see it. We were told prelaunch that they would be focusing on open world then too and what did we get in November? A dungeon and the beginnings of a gear treadmill. Still waiting on my new DE meta's 6 months later here.

And as far as the rewards go, why can't the teleport cost be a permanent reduction solely for guild members of a certain rank? Wouldn't that solve part of the problem with the economy that has way too many money sinks and not enough money builders?

I'm wondering too if these are fixed events that a guild can research and release on queue that are the same as the nonmeta events system they have now, the same thing every time. Only time will tell tho.

they added 40 DE's in october. they should increase the pace and amount though.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Wasn't really looking forward to the January update, but that had some nice tidbits in there.

However, this looks right up my alley. CTF map and Guild Missions...dailies and dungeons revamp...

Good stuff. Should keep me very occupied.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    This sounds wonderful :) Hoping for a pet ai buff soon though :o
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Tbh I was a letdown but the past events and additions. I had thought GW2 would get new zones regularly. There is so much blank space on the Tyria world map, which I would be interested to visit or in case it existed in GW1, to revisit. These events in the past have all been boring. And while the changes and additions sound nice and fine, I wish they would add new zones instead. But... that's just me. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by odinsrath

you can truly say that nothing has been good sence release of this game..for those who dont know i along with many other was on the top server and top guild and a.net offered free server transfers to the wow kiddieo's that were pitchin a bioch in forums about the top server was dominating every week in wvw and it wasnt because we had more ppl than everyone..it was because we were just plain better...now the wow kiddieo's had banded together and now they are the top server only because of the sheer numbers they outnumber every server now no matter who they play..its stoopid<--  but before that they again panderd to the wow masses on forums and added even more dungeon grinds for badges..its sickening..now..NOW THEY ARE ADDING ctf? get the heck outta here -_- yet another wow flavored peace of gameplay ..this game is slowly dripping down the gutter..i really liked this game but as its life is going on / on its quickly faded to black..what ever happened to real pvp ..real wvw in rpgmmos

wvw has become nuttin but a merry-go-round..zerg take this..zerg take this ..zerg take this..no one defends ..why? because your truly cant no matter how organized you are ..sheer numbers rule all ..my final flame...a.net panders to the wow crowd and for those who are looking for a diff. and good mmorpg stay away..this isnt it..i dont think any new mmorpg will ever be diff. from wow ..a.net has showed their hand to everyone and now they are all in...all in on the wow factor and cash grab

and for those that say there was ctf before wow in mmorpg ..plz tell who had before wow i cant think of many or any at all..at least any that were good and had pvp

Right there, sir , you just nailed it. Its STOOPID

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The beginnings of player generated content in a themepark based MMO. I think I like where this is going! Then being able to turn myself into a guild banner in WvW... oh, that is SO going to be abused!

This looks amazing. What a nice direction this incredibly fun and growing game is taking.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by botrytis

No - they collect data from all the WvW, etc on  all the professions. They already siad they do that.  They believe data not people yelling ' OH MY GOD X profession IS SO OP'. First, every profession has a weakness, learn what they are and how to exploit them BEFORE WHINING about balance. I remember the yelling, and I will bring it up again because it is classic, in Rift players yelling about how OP Saboteurs were, when the game released. Sabs were glass cannons (a riftstalker would rip them apart, if they didn't flaa through themap while shadow stepping 50% of th time - different story) and people never tried to figure out how to deal with them, they just whined, The class got nerfed and it wasn't a viable role for 9 months to a year after the nerf. This is when Trion said, we are looking at data on the damage the roles ar taking/producing BEFORE balancing.

Sorry, but you didn't think this through very well.  If the imbalance problem is because of lack of player innovation, how  is looking at statistics going to change anything?

Let's look at your example.  In the game, Saboteurs are owning everyone, so everyone complains and they nerf the Saboteurs.

Here's the fix:  Look at statisics.  They run the statistics for the game. Saboteurs are doing 10 times as much damage as they are receivng.  Conclusion it's time to nerf the Saboteurs.

If Riftstalkers were already in the game to counterbalance the Saboteurs, all Trion had to do was post "Have your Rifstalkers take a crack at the Saboteurs".  Balance problem fixed, end of story.

Originally posted by Elikal
    Tbh I was a letdown but the past events and additions. I had thought GW2 would get new zones regularly. There is so much blank space on the Tyria world map, which I would be interested to visit or in case it existed in GW1, to revisit. These events in the past have all been boring. And while the changes and additions sound nice and fine, I wish they would add new zones instead. But... that's just me. ;)

That sort of content addition has two problems.  It costs a lot of money, and the bulk of the players would go trhough it one time and then go back to SvS, so the money would not be well spent.

I am totally in agreement with you that it would be nice, but that's something that subscription based games are supposed to do.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by grimfall

That sort of content addition has two problems.  It costs a lot of money, and the bulk of the players would go trhough it one time and then go back to SvS, so the money would not be well spent.

I am totally in agreement with you that it would be nice, but that's something that subscription based games are supposed to do.

Well LOTRO used to add new zones regularly, at least in those early years I played it. And Champions Online and STO added new regions and real quests since they went to PWI.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Well LOTRO used to add new zones regularly, at least in those early years I played it. And Champions Online and STO added new regions and real quests since they went to PWI.

whats the point of adding more and more zones as the population spreads? this will just lead to less people in the zones that are there... the current world is plenty big as it is and expanding on and making the zones that are already there is a much better route to go imho.. new areas will come down the line but i'd rather them flesh out and improve current zones first.. also with scaling all zones are always relevant to you so anything they add or update will be worth seeing.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

LOTRO was (and still is) a subscription bassed game.

whats the point of adding more and more zones as the population spreads?  Replayability .

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

LOTRO was (and still is) a subscription bassed game.

whats the point of adding more and more zones as the population spreads?  Replayability .

thats what the DE system is for.. i have played tons of zones in this game numerous times and its never always the exact same.. i run into events in differn't parts of their chain, start new events I had never seen, find new things I missed. Also hopefully they start ramping up the new DEs and it will add to replayability even more.. with scaling you have a ton more replayability in this game anyway just due to this alone.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg