Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar brought me back

TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214

Hey all,

Just wanted to say hi. I'm pretty new to the Wildstar scene, meaning I heard about it a couple weeks ago. Since then I haven't been able to get enough and well mmorpg.com seems to have some of the best info (other than the main site) that I've found, so after about an eight year hiadus from these forums I'm back. I look forward to discussing Wildstar with all of you.

-T

Comments

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151

welcome back, so far this game is lookin awesome imo,....wow with everything that wow didn't have lol

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Good to have you!  I too am looking forward to this game, I can't wait to see more gameplay, I like the personality of the game so far, and the voice acting seems really good.  I'm not 100% sure of the combat, but it looks no worse than WoW, and I played that for years.  I hope it comes out soon.
  • rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151

i was apprehensive about the combat cuz i thought it might have animation locks but at 0:27ish you see him moving and dodging still using an attack so im satisfied

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/media/videos/#play

Edit : its the stalker vid...lol

It looks smooth and addictive enough for me (good news about the lack of animation locks), my problem might come with the telegraphing they're planning, unless they're doing something about that.  Making a big mark on the ground for devastating attacks is one thing, but an older combat video I watched had a little too much hand-holding.  I think a happy medium could be reached, like being able to turn off telegraphing? 
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    It looks smooth and addictive enough for me (good news about the lack of animation locks), my problem might come with the telegraphing they're planning, unless they're doing something about that.  Making a big mark on the ground for devastating attacks is one thing, but an older combat video I watched had a little too much hand-holding.  I think a happy medium could be reached, like being able to turn off telegraphing? 

Dev already confirmed you can turn off telegraphing.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by azarhal

Yeah but it's mandatory for serious content clearing, so unless you're very casual or dont raid it's possible to run without telegraphing, but beyond that you must use the aid. Only thing to change that is to design encounters that does not rely so heavily on the telegraphing mechanics to begin with.

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214

Personally I don't have a big problem with the telegraphing at this point. I am willing to give it a chance because I like the idea of giving players tons of monsters with unigue abilities that keep people on their toes in an attempt to liven up one aspect of leveling. I can, however see them refining it and making the telegraphs slightly more asthetic if enough people have issues with it, but I mean that's what beta tests are for, so here's hoping for an effective beta.

edit: spelling

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I was taken aback by the telegraphing at first, but yeah, if it makes for more sophisticated encounters, I'm all for it.

I just love the personality the game has, really dig the art style, and I've always thought we need a game where really big raiding game had its place as long as there are some solid non-raiding endgame alternatives. And the housing can't hurt!

Looking forward to the game now... Though I have no idea what I'm going to play. Exile scum, perhaps?? :P

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Yeah but it's mandatory for serious content clearing, so unless you're very casual or dont raid it's possible to run without telegraphing, but beyond that you must use the aid. Only thing to change that is to design encounters that does not rely so heavily on the telegraphing mechanics to begin with.

You mean, design a combat system that doesn't expect players moving around to avoid being one-shooted by special attacks.

Ah, well that's cool then.  But like someone else said, unless there's a variety of animations that lets you know what's coming and when, you're going to be leaving telegraphing on most of the time... especially in higher level content.  So unless there are wind-up animations like in GW2, you're going to be playing a guessing game, which doesn't sound fun for group content.  In fact, I can hear swear words dancing in my head already.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Ah, well that's cool then.  But like someone else said, unless there's a variety of animations that lets you know what's coming and when, you're going to be leaving telegraphing on most of the time... especially in higher level content.  So unless there are wind-up animations like in GW2, you're going to be playing a guessing game, which doesn't sound fun for group content.  In fact, I can hear swear words dancing in my head already.

I'm not sure why some people are having such a hard time accepting telegraphing.  It's been in MMOs for several years.  Just that is was only seen previously in dungeons or raids.  Now MMOs are making it more and more part of its core mechanics.  Carbine has just taken it to the next level.  It's an easy way to make MMO combat more engaging while at the same time keeping it simple to understand.  The old saying, "easy to learn, difficult to master" is a good policy.  I'd rather combat be a little more visceral and focused on the action than staring at hotbars.  Players still have the challenge of managing their dodging and defensive abilities.  In one of the videos, the telegraphs are spread pretty wide with small slivers of safe zone.  There seems to be this assumption that telegraphs= easy mode. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube

Perhaps the notion that telegraphs = easy mode in WS is partly based on what we have seen. The telegraphs we have seen so far are from low level content and I would expect them to be fairly elementary. When we hit "elder game" raids I'm sure the telegraph patterns will be much more complex and have a much shorter delay before your character is splattered. Being that we haven't seen the end game implementation of the telegraphs people seem to be assuming the worst. I can hardly blame them for being jaded after years of crap mmo's; however I feel that WS's concept could be great if implemented in an effective way. So once again I feel it comes down to the beta test. If the devs and testers do the rest of us a solid this telegraphing issue should be sorted out or so I hope.

-T

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Been reading up most articles about this game, seems like something fresh plus I like scifi settings like star wars and firefly :) Everything I've seen is very low lvl combat, so I wouldn't base much on that. Hoping for some beta and Exiles 4th race announcement, to verify what I'm thinking it is.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Kuinn

You mean, design a combat system that doesn't expect players moving around to avoid being one-shooted by special attacks.

No, I'm not here to make suggestions or develop the game for carbine, just saying that when the telegraphing system as it is now is implemented in the game, you must use it for serious running of the content. Only option to have any other way is to design the encounters in some other way, or to design the telegraphing in some other way (if the disco floor effects are the real villain here).

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    @ OP don't let concerns stifle your enthusiasm for the game.  Carbine is in listening mode from what I gather and it's nice to see another studio put fans and gamers first.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    @ OP don't let concerns stifle your enthusiasm for the game.  Carbine is in listening mode from what I gather and it's nice to see another studio put fans and gamers first.  

Haha I'm more excited  by the day. I love the stuff I've been reading and watching. Arkship is a prime example of the listening mode you mentioned. I can't believe they did that, so cool.