Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Average Age of Todays Gamer.. Games are for Adults

2»

Comments

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

I like the statistics about how parents play video games with their kids. Most of the statistics are about general gaming. This includes all kinds of gaming, from board to card to mobile to mmorpgs.

I'd like to see them do the same statistics about each segment of gaming.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

I have been playing mmo's since a little game called The Realm, then I beta tested EQ, swore I would never play it (6 years later I quit EQ)

Played/beta'd just about MMO out there

I am 46 now and I play PC games every night, I find I cannot play most MMO's in ENDGAME anymore due to my lack of patience :(

I am playing APB a lot now, waiting for EQ Next (man, I hope it is close to EQ)

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I´m not touching anthing "Rated T" or below with a six foot pole.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by FromHell

I´m not touching anthing "Rated T" or below with a six foot pole.

so basically you just dismiss over 75% of the games made? seems odd

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm proudly helping to bring-up that average! I could be a grandfather if it wasn't for the fact that my son and daughter in law are still refusing to reproduce.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Iselin
    I'm proudly helping to bring-up that average! I could be a grandfather if it wasn't for the fact that my son and daughter in law are still refusing to reproduce.

We can trade kids. We are trying to get our eldest daughter to stop reproducing. 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

We can trade kids. We are trying to get our eldest daughter to stop reproducing. 

Lol. good idea. Maybe we can at least do a swap next thanksgiving :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I keep hearing that games are for adults, and I would tend to agree that most gamers are 18+, but then why are almost all games, and MMORPG in particular, so simple? WoW for example is so easy to play that a 10 year old could excel in it.

We need more games which requires you to be a thinking, patient adult instead of hack and slash games.

Originally posted by Yamota

I keep hearing that games are for adults, and I would tend to agree that most gamers are 18+, but then why are almost all games, and MMORPG in particular, so simple? WoW for example is so easy to play that a 10 year old could excel in it.

We need more games which requires you to be a thinking, patient adult instead of hack and slash games.

because the average gamer doesn't want a game that's frustratingly hard majority of the time.. believe it or not but many people actually don't find hard games fun at all and won't even bother.. obviously some do enjoy the challenge of games like dark souls and such but the big market is in the type of games that are accessable to everyone not just for hardcore elitists

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

because the average gamer doesn't want a game that's frustratingly hard majority of the time.. believe it or not but many people actually don't find hard games fun at all and won't even bother.. obviously some do enjoy the challenge of games like dark souls and such but the big market is in the type of games that are accessable to everyone not just for hardcore elitists

Funny you should mention Dark Souls. My son gave it to me as a birthday present for the PS3 (or was it Xbox? I forget) and I must have politely said something to him about enjoying it because he gave me the 2nd one as well... I lied. I found it intriguing but ultimatley frustrating.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Funny you should mention Dark Souls. My son gave it to me as a birthday present for the PS3 (or was it Xbox? I forget) and I must have politely said something to him about enjoying it because he gave me the 2nd one as well... I lied. I found it intriguing but ultimatley frustrating.

i too found dark souls more frustrating than fun...

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

eve online is about imma guess 95 percent 18 and older. all the tournament footage of games i watch like cod, streetfighter, league of legends, most are adults. 

Games IMO are meant for the 15-30 crowd nowadays...unless it has a kid type them to it. Most of the GW2 fanboys are GW1 players...and that game is like 6-7 years old...so u gotta figure that they are adults now playing GW2. For me im 28 and have been playing games since atari and NES. I dont play games as much as a teenager would but i still play. Dont go out and buy every new release very picky on what i buy nowadays (especially since the 2012 pc hype games). ill proly play games till the day i die. For now i just play 1 mmo im into and the rest emulators just playin retrojunk.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Perhaps it is exactly because those games are geared towards adults that they are simple? Adults have a lot of responsabilities that they did not have say 10+ years ago when many started gaming and could spare several hours a week (or day) playing video games. Nowadays they're stuck with a job, family, tight schedule, household chores, etc. In that sense, making MMORPG more accessible allows those players to access the enjoyable parts of a game that would've otherwised taken them more time than they could afford to spare.

From a business point of you, seems to be working pretty fine. Sadly this change costed usfeatures or mechanics that many of us prefer.

Note: I'm just talking about adult in the general sense. I'm saying this before someone shows up saying "I'm an adult and I've got plenty of free time!".