Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The Un-list

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

What top 5 things do you hate and fear being in CU?

1. An auction house (customizable shops add so much content to a game)
2. Instanced content (Open World forever!)
3. Gear grind/superiority
4. Pay to Win stuff
5. Abraham Lincoln (just kidding)
5. Completely Invisible Stealth

I know J-Cob has said these aren't in, but they are the things I fear the most.

Comments

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 uniondale, NYPosts: 346Member
    i just want them to amke my anti-[insert game i am bashing here]!
  • SeitrSeitr Saint Cloud, FLPosts: 50Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

1. An auction house (customizable shops add so much content to a game)
    2. Instanced content (Open World forever!)
    3. Gear grind/superiority
    4. Pay to Win stuff
    5. Completely Invisible Stealth

I know J-Cob has said these aren't in, but they are the things I fear the most.

I agree 100% with all of the above except number 5. I never spent alot of time playing a stealther in DAoC, but they had their place.

• SatariousSatarious Kansas City, MOPosts: 1,075Member

In order:

1) Instanced pvp (which is basically just a "path of least resistance" that syphons all the life out of the open world)

2) Pay to Win (the second worst invention in MMOs ever, after instances)

3) Free For All pvp (these type of servers ALWAYS eventually devolve into players killing other players with no purpose at all.. that gets old pretty quick.  I was actually part of a Guild in one of those that actually tried to be different and only focus on those ganking others.. .but eventually, all of those types of guild just follow the path of least resistance until the entire server is just random, meaningless chaos.  People don't stick around too long for those types of servers).

4) Leaderless zergs that simply attack random keeps and random stragglers.  Those types of groupings are nothing but "safety in numbers".  I'd like to see some glorious battles between 2-3 zergs that are WELL RUN by the best LEADERS.

5) E-Sports in MMOs

• NikopolNikopol The ZonePosts: 626Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Maybe not Abraham Lincoln, but having Sir Walter Raleight in the game would be cool!

Though I'm afraid he doesn't fit the lore. :)

• boxsndboxsnd Kraxton, ARPosts: 438Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Satarious

3) Free For All pvp (these type of servers ALWAYS eventually devolve into players killing other players with no purpose at all.. that gets old pretty quick.  I was actually part of a Guild in one of those that actually tried to be different and only focus on those ganking others.. .but eventually, all of those types of guild just follow the path of least resistance until the entire server is just random, meaningless chaos.  People don't stick around too long for those types of servers).

Why would you care if there were separate FFA PvP servers? Camlann/Mordred were the most fun I have had in any game. 

Don't take away my fun. If you don't like it stay on your RvR server. It doesn't affect you.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• MightyChasmMightyChasm londonPosts: 298Member

1. That I never have to be confronted with Boxnd's head again, it is larger than Ben Afflecks which is a miracle.  

2. That is genuinely all I ask for.  

• CluckingChickenCluckingChicken Calgary, ABPosts: 54Member
    The people that hate stealthers in MMOs are the same people that rage at the Spy in Team Fortress 2. He only causes you problems if you're bad and don't pay attention to your surroundings. Same applies for most MMOs. If you stick with your friends you won't need to worry. If you're playing solo, just be vigilant. Stealthers play on advantages. If they don't have a great advantage over you, they can't beat you. If you don't let them get the advantage, they'll either be a free kill for you, or they'll just avoid you entirely.
  • meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon
    1. Don't make a reward system that only rewards zerging and taking keeps and ultimately leads to zergs avoiding each other to take undefended keeps to complete daily missions. Fighting other players needs to be rewarded too or even be the only thing that is directly rewarding via realm points or their equivalent.
    2. Don't add more and more powerful tiers of gear in patches and expansions that require players to grind content they aren't interested in in order to keep their characters in competitive templates.
    3. Don't make time to kill (TTK) too high so that newbie and bad players don't get instagibbed. You should fear being killed rapidly (up to a point). That's a powerful motivation to learn to play better and also to advance your character so that he has more defensive capabilities.
    4. Going along with #3, don't make caster classes that are all glass and no cannon. I've seen a trend in MMOs I've played towards making poisons/damage-over-time the most effective spec for casters. If I play a caster, I want to nuke stuff down not cast one spell and run away and wait for my target to die.
    5. Don't make support characters that can't do their jobs. If you make a healing class, give it the abilities to actually heal. If a class has CC, the CC should be effective not wear off after 2 seconds. But of course there should be immunity timers and counter spells/cures to CC too.
    6. Plan for population imbalance and failed servers that need to be merged from the start. Make character and guild names game wide so transferring and merging don't require renaming. Don't allow new players on a realm once that realm gets to, say, 37% of the server population. Allow free transfers from high pop realms to low pop realms of the same faction but don't allow transfers to high pop realms at all.
    7. Put systems in place to catch speed hackers, radar users, gold sellers, and other undesirables from day 1.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I don't hate stealthers, I usually am a stealther. And as a stealther I can tell you easy stealth is fun, but when I get some using skill stealth like I did in DF, Or even the predator like stealth (which is what I think is the best kind of stealth) its twice as rewarding and takes way more skill. Anyone can pop a button and go poof gone, but to really know how to use terrain and stalk, that is exciting stealth. Stealth with little to no fear is just not as rewarding, intense, or fun.