Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Are you gonna fund it?

Comments

• audizmannaudizmann AalborgPosts: 24Member

This will be my first time backing a KickStarter project. I have no idea what amount I will give, and I don't care about "rewards".

I always hope for the best in every MMO that comes out, but very rarely do I even try them. I am very picky about MMOs, which is why I have been playing DAoC for a decade or so :D

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State Entertainment Fairfax, VAPosts: 468Member Uncommon

Folks,

For the guys who've said they are going to support us, thanks, really appreciate it. For those who say they're undecided, I thank you as well for considering to do so. For those who have said they won't, thanks at least for considering it. While I hope to change your mind, that's of course your choice and I respect it.

We'll be posting our Reward Tiers prior to the Kickstarter launching so we can get some feedback from the community before the launch.

Mark

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• CluckingChickenCluckingChicken Calgary, ABPosts: 54Member
    I've got $500 sitting in my Paypal for this reason alone. I can't wait for something to throw it at.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,476Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Game lost me at Mark Jacobs.  Don't trust anything that guy says.

I don't trust him at this point. 

• erictlewiserictlewis Cottondale, ALPosts: 3,026Member Uncommon

No I feel to many other games have already tried to get funded and blew up.  Give me more to go on and  maybee I will think about it.  Honestly do we need another sword and board game. 

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Aurora, ILPosts: 2,656Member Uncommon
    Nope I'll leave that unsavory business to the early adopters. Then again I play too many mmos to be kickstarting any of them anyway. If I did I'd be broke.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Thereiam, ARPosts: 2,697Member
    Originally posted by Coman

Nope

It's Mark Jacobs. Sorry but I keep my money to help the little poeple. That really do not have the money themselves. 

Come on. The budget for the game was finished maybe a year ago? I doubt they really need this money and the budget is set in stone already. Might pre-order when more info is available and where closer to launch though. I might be absolutly wrong, but I am sure the game will be created whatever I kickstart it or not and it will be exectly the same game. Very maybe some feature will be added later or release will be a later. 

The beginning of this post is my thoughts, however my reasons on why not with Mark Jacobs is entirely different. I won't touch something with his name on it at this point, just to be bluntly honest.

On top of that I've never funded something on Kickstarter and am not sure I ever would. I don't like to pay for things and not see the results for a year or years. I would likely pay for some of the things on Kickstarter once they reach a retail state though.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by jdnyc Game lost me at Mark Jacobs.  Don't trust anything that guy says.
     I don't trust him at this point. 

Why not trust him? I was part of the WAR catastrophe, but the corporate meddling was pretty obvious. Even though it extremely hampered Marks reputation, he has refrained from dragging any names through the mud, to me that is a stand up guy. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure he is a very wealthy guy who doesn't need to do anything, let alone something as difficult as a MMO, but he is, and for the right reasons, because he wants it as bad as we do. Mark is old school, like so many of us, he craves what made these games special before, the good and the bad, the consequences, the loss, and the victories. The difference is unlike us he has the money and connections to make it happen.

In short, the reason I trust him (from what I have seen and heard) is if I was a rich old guy I would be doing the exact same thing, making the best old school MMO I could, because I wanna play one again. He is more like one of us than one of them.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,214Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Thorbrand
    There is no way I would found a game that is using DAoC to promote the game for what it isn't going to be. It is just going to be WvWvW from GW2, limited to no PvE (No a MMO at this point.) with multitiered subscriptions. If you can't see the scam from what they already said about the game you are not helping those of us that demand more from our games.

Originally posted by tom_gore
    Can't say yet. All MJ has said so far sound good, but I'm not gonna fund mere ideas. If they don't have anything to show (which I doubt because they have not even decided on the engine yet) for the Kickstarter I will hold my money until I see something more substantial than just concept art and words.

I think these are wise posts.  I wouldn't fund any kickstarter based solely on ideas.  If I back any project not already in development I would need to see a business and design plan.  I need to see estimated expenses, projected revenue streams, and the like, or no money from me.

I have backed indie projects.  The most recent was City of Steam through their own site fundraiser.  That game was already in development and I got to test early builds and meet the team.  Then I made the decision to support and to contribute with testing and feedback.

• Father_JackFather_Jack Portland, ORPosts: 81Member
    I will be backing it, I'm one of those few who only enjoys PvP/RvR and hates killing mobs.
  • HagnarHagnar AlessandriaPosts: 39Member
    I will back it. 

Born as a berserker, I was also a hero, a bounty hunter, a paladin ,a troubador and a paladin once again during my Mmo''s experiences .. Now travelling in a galaxy looking for a new adventure

• MLecl0001MLecl0001 Saint Paul, MNPosts: 153Member
    Originally posted by Marcus-

Uncertain at this point.

Theres a lot I like, but theres definetly things that make me a bit leary. When MJ said if they reached their KS goal, then he would throw his own cash in well, I dunno how accurate I am, but that sort of makes me feel like I/we are stepping out on to this limb before he is. Yet he's certainly the one to benefit the most from this project, as its his project.

I definetly need more info.

Actually as far as I understand it, if the goal is reached the project gets funded and they get the money.  If the 2 million isnt reached the project is scratched and the money is returned.  If I am correct the way kickstarter works they dont see the funds until after their time is up and only if their goal is reached.  I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty positive that is the way it works.

So because MJ is putting his money where his mouth is so will I.  I love the idea for this game, and even with my reduced playing time even if I never get time to play I just hope a game like this is made and successful.  Just to prove to other would be developers with good ideas that publishers maybe arent needed.  With the core of your players able to download the client off the internet maybe we can start to phase developers out a little bit.  A pipe dream maybe, but just a little hope.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

• SeariasSearias Edmonton, ABPosts: 712Member Uncommon
    I'll probably end up paying around $200 since, they are letting us get involved and give feedback on the game as it progress. This is going to be a fun ride :).

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State Entertainment Fairfax, VAPosts: 468Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MLecl0001

Uncertain at this point.

Theres a lot I like, but theres definetly things that make me a bit leary. When MJ said if they reached their KS goal, then he would throw his own cash in well, I dunno how accurate I am, but that sort of makes me feel like I/we are stepping out on to this limb before he is. Yet he's certainly the one to benefit the most from this project, as its his project.

Actually as far as I understand it, if the goal is reached the project gets funded and they get the money.  If the 2 million isnt reached the project is scratched and the money is returned.  If I am correct the way kickstarter works they dont see the funds until after their time is up and only if their goal is reached.  I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty positive that is the way it works.

So because MJ is putting his money where his mouth is so will I.  I love the idea for this game, and even with my reduced playing time even if I never get time to play I just hope a game like this is made and successful.  Just to prove to other would be developers with good ideas that publishers maybe arent needed.  With the core of your players able to download the client off the internet maybe we can start to phase developers out a little bit.  A pipe dream maybe, but just a little hope.

You are absolutely correct, that is exactly how it works. If we get our 2M the project funds, we receive our 2M - fees. If we don't hit 2M, even if it is 1.99M, we get nothing and the game doesn't get made.

Thank you for your support and trust, I won't let you down.

Mark Jacobs

Originally posted by Searias
    I'll probably end up paying around $200 since, they are letting us get involved and give feedback on the game as it progress. This is going to be a fun ride :).

Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it. And yes, it will be a fun ride, crazy at times but fun and in terms of feedback, well, I'll say this much, you'll be really pleased with the amount/manner of two-way interaction you'll have with the team and myself. That's one reason I'm posting here so much, getting in shape for the big game! :)

Again, my thanks.

Mark Jacobs

• brett7018brett7018 Jacksonville, FLPosts: 182Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs
    Originally posted by MLecl0001

Uncertain at this point.

You are absolutely correct, that is exactly how it works. If we get our 2M the project funds, we receive our 2M - fees. If we don't hit 2M, even if it is 1.99M, we get nothing and the game doesn't get made.

Thank you for your support and trust, I won't let you down.

Well, I would be willing to jump in and help if it will be anything like DAoC.  DAoC was my first real MMORPG  and it has incredible nostalgic value to me for that reason.

I see no real reasons not to trust Mr. Jacobs.  My guess is when EA took over Mythic, things began to get top-heavy and micro-managed (llke most typical over-large projects).  When that happens, they loose sight of the fact that the game is actually supposed to be entertaining and fun and not like a job or all about making money.

Hi Mark!  I am still waiting on DAoC 2....  :D 

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Llandrindod WellsPosts: 364Member

Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it. And yes, it will be a fun ride, crazy at times but fun and in terms of feedback, well, I'll say this much, you'll be really pleased with the amount/manner of two-way interaction you'll have with the team and myself. That's one reason I'm posting here so much, getting in shape for the big game! :)

Again, my thanks.

Mark,

I just want to make sure that you're not going to handle latency issues by inventing a new metric of time, as was done with Warhammer? I'm sure you remember the conversation you had on the forums about Mythic Time (it was my irl friend who posted about it initially).

It's VERY important that a PvP game has smooth gameplay, and bogging that down with harsh server scrutiny (that forces you into a position where you literally have to recalculate time to make things work) isn't going to go down well with gamers (again. Warhammer and SWTOR had this problem). I sincerely hope you avoid that mistake.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a close eye on things. I'm quietly enthused about it, but also somewhat critical of things. I'll certainly be sticking around however. I also wish you all the luck in the world, and I very much hope you succeed :)

Anyway, it's pleasant to see you getting so involved. Props for that :)

Much love and kisses to you, etc.

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Midland, GAPosts: 185Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Im old school and desperate, but also super leery after so many disappointments. If $10 gets me beta I'm down (and it would be the first project fund on KS). If they are asking a lot, or pulling a cash grab ex. for 1000 you get X, Y, and Z to make u uber, then I'll abandon the game entirely.

Its these $10 pledges I am worried about. This will be a pretty niche game, you can tell by the facebook and other social followings, they really aren't that big. I think 50k players might be on the optimistic side and most will not fund the kickstarter.

Some individuals would need to have some deep pockets in order to compensate. Last kickstarter/donation thing I did was to VileRat's family (the diplomat that died in bengazi) he played eve online and got national attention.

http://www.youcaring.com/tuition-fundraiser/benefit-for-sean-smith-s-family/30678

Still only raised $127k

I have serious doubts this'll raise 2 million but maybe kickstarters do better than fundraisers, Idk.

Originally posted by dotdotdash

Again, my thanks.

Mark,

I just want to make sure that you're not going to handle latency issues by inventing a new metric of time, as was done with Warhammer? I'm sure you remember the conversation you had on the forums about Mythic Time (it was my irl friend who posted about it initially).

It's VERY important that a PvP game has smooth gameplay, and bogging that down with harsh server scrutiny (that forces you into a position where you literally have to recalculate time to make things work) isn't going to go down well with gamers (again. Warhammer and SWTOR had this problem). I sincerely hope you avoid that mistake.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a close eye on things. I'm quietly enthused about it, but also somewhat critical of things. I'll certainly be sticking around however. I also wish you all the luck in the world, and I very much hope you succeed :)

Thanks for all that, criticism, support, love and kisses, etc. Please feel free to continue to be critical about things, that's one of the reasons I'm here posting, writing blogs, doing interviews as well. 

As far as smooth gameplay, I couldn't agree more. That is one of the key things that Andew knows he needs to focus on with this game. As an independent developer, just as we were back in 1999, I know that we won't have all the bells & whistles that some other games have but that won't be an excuse for things that are in the game not being great. We know we have to focus on fewer things and do them better than more things and do them half-assed. Our backers and hopefully future players will be willing to support us if everything works really well but some things are missing that they can find in other games. What they won't be happy with is if we throw a lot of broken systems in there and say "Done!" now give us your money. I'm not going to do that and part of the proof is that I've also said that until this game is ready, they won't pay sub fees even if we have to eat the costs. We "go gold" and start shipping the disk, that's one thing but when we ship, everything has to work the way it is intended and that is under my control again, period. :)

As to Mythic Time, oh, what a nightmare that was. I felt so sorry for the programmer and for players as well. The poor guy was just trying to make the system work and he got hit from all directions at once including a very upset GM who was shouting "Mythic seconds WTF is Mythic seconds?" :)

Thanks again for the kind words and possible support,

Mark Jacobs

• KrayloreKraylore DawesvillePosts: 2Member

Again, my thanks.

Mark,

Thanks for all that, criticism, support, love and kisses, etc. Please feel free to continue to be critical about things, that's one of the reasons I'm here posting, writing blogs, doing interviews as well. 

As far as smooth gameplay, I couldn't agree more. That is one of the key things that Andew knows he needs to focus on with this game. As an independent developer, just as we were back in 1999, I know that we won't have all the bells & whistles that some other games have but that won't be an excuse for things that are in the game not being great. We know we have to focus on fewer things and do them better than more things and do them half-assed. Our backers and hopefully future players will be willing to support us if everything works really well but some things are missing that they can find in other games. What they won't be happy with is if we throw a lot of broken systems in there and say "Done!" now give us your money. I'm not going to do that and part of the proof is that I've also said that until this game is ready, they won't pay sub fees even if we have to eat the costs. We "go gold" and start shipping the disk, that's one thing but when we ship, everything has to work the way it is intended and that is under my control again, period. :)

As to Mythic Time, oh, what a nightmare that was. I felt so sorry for the programmer and for players as well. The poor guy was just trying to make the system work and he got hit from all directions at once including a very upset GM who was shouting "Mythic seconds WTF is Mythic seconds?" :)

Thanks again for the kind words and possible support,

Hey Mark,

Any insight into how you plan to handle latency issues, for local users and those in other regions?

Kind regards,

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,919Member Uncommon

Nope, not fund or play.  Not a style of game that I'd enjoy.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com

Yes, it was a nightmare.

Certainly the programmer involved has to take responsibility for having the idea and implementing it, but I notice that you don't actually speak about how YOU felt about that particular solution, or your involvement in its implementation. I mean... you were in charge: you must have known about it before it was implement, and you must have decided that it was a "good" solution (even if temporary) to the problem? I can't say that I know the first thing about leading a large team in developing and designing an MMO; there's every chance that you were detached from the particulars of "mythic seconds" at the time, and only later made aware of the problem it created.

Everything you seem to be saying right now is in the right direction for the niche you're aiming to fill with Camelot Unchained. That said, you can say the same about everything that was said pre-Warhammer Online, and you can say the same about everything that was said by Bioware pre-SWTOR's launch. You can say it about pretty much any major studio working on a major game; part and parcel of marketing the title is saying the right things, even where those things don't end up being "specifically" true.

As I said, I'll certainly keep an eye on things and may even show some active support. I can't say that I'll be a backer; I simply don't have the money (which will shock some people, I'm sure). If I did, I would probably back more out of curiosity for the future  of your developer-player dialogue (it's an interesting "experiment", and I look forward to seeing what comes of it even if I don't get to take part in it). So you'll just have to take my love and kisses, I'm afraid. It's all I have to offer.

• skyexileskyexile MelbournePosts: 692Member

Originally posted by Searias I'll probably end up paying around $200 since, they are letting us get involved and give feedback on the game as it progress. This is going to be a fun ride :).
    Thank you so much, I really do appreciate it. And yes, it will be a fun ride, crazy at times but fun and in terms of feedback, well, I'll say this much, you'll be really pleased with the amount/manner of two-way interaction you'll have with the team and myself. That's one reason I'm posting here so much, getting in shape for the big game! :) Again, my thanks.
    Mark,

I play from austrlaia, The WAR in beta was kinda bad on US servers, i think that was for everybody though, but once they did some major fix i think the game played rather well on 200 ping, certainly better than wow where i get constant messages like " im out of range, i cant do that right now, im too far away from my target" WHEN IM STANDING ONTOP OF IT!

Also Mark trust me on this, no Australian servers, dont do it, we dont deserve them.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• JimmacJimmac TXPosts: 1,667Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    This will be the first kickstarter project that I will back.

This will also be the first kickstarter project I will back, but only if more information comes to light that shows the game is "on the right track". If the combat mechanics are like how they were in DAOC in a way that I think I will like, then I will go for it. If the combat is going to be like every other mmo on the market right now, then why bother.

One more thing before I head to bed, because I feel it needs to be said:

A lot of people - myself included - took a fairly bad impression of you (in a professional capacity) away from Warhammer Online with us. Your involvement with the project, the decisions you (seemingly) made, and the nature of your departure from EA left a lot of "bad blood" in the water. So there are many people who are as concerned about judging you in that capacity as they are about judging Camelot Unchained as a game.

I hope I haven't overstepped the mark there (pun intended), but I feel I need to point out my own reservations here (knowing that there are a lot of people who think the same). You are at once famous and infamous within the general MMO community, and you clearly know that.

I personally would like to see you talk a bit more about the mistakes you've made in the past, the thoughts you have on those mistakes, what you've learned, etc, etc. I'd like to know a little about your journey and evolution over the years. I'd like some insight into Mark Jacobs the Man, not just Mark Jacobs the CEO.

After all, people are backing you as much as they are backing the game :)