Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Path of Exile: The Hidden Gem of the Year

Comments

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I wish they'd have built a true MMO, with this system of skills, this kind of skill tree in a true MMO, brilliant! This skill system is the kind of freedom I've been wanting in a MMO forever. So very tired of class/race/level locked "progression" in the vast majority of MMO's.
  • neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276

I have came back to the game after a long break after early closed beta.  The game has only gotten better and I already have had a lot more fun playing it than D3.  I was going to go back to TL2 and try out the Synergies Mod but decided to try otu PoE again starting a few days back and I have to say that I am really enjoying it.   

While I haven't grouped up with anyone yet, it seems that there is no shortage of players and global chat is very active (though a bit like Barren's Chat at times).   I love the HUGE amount of customization that each character can have.

I have had a few lag spikes here and there but nothing game breaking.  I haven't had any CTD or other issues of note.  

If you are looking for a great Co-Op ARPG or just a more mature and complex ARPG I highly recommend PoE.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78

Ho-humm. I would generally agree with the review, but the 'Innovation 6/10' makes me frown. I just looked up D3, and that had a 7/10.

Now, it might just be me, but imo PoE brings a lot more innovation to the table than D3 did:

- Orbs as currency (and complete removal of gold)

- Skills are items

- The potion system

- No  fixed classes

...for example.

It just rubs me the wrong way to basically say "PoE is less innovative than D3". Give D3 a 6/10 and PoE a 7/10 if you ask me. Which you didnt. Blast it.

But then I suspect "Innovation" is a dump stat which you can quite easy rise or lower to adjust the over-all score. Which had to come out at 8.0, because a certain other game got 8.5.

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276
    I do also agree that PoE should have scored a bit higher in the innovation section.  I agree with the poster above me.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    I really enjoy this game and have to agree with other's comment's about innovation getting a 6.The passive skill tree,the removal of gold,skill gems/support gems,flasks etc. is great.Personally I'd give it 7-8 in innovation and 8.5-8.75 overall.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Is the game live now (as in no more resets etc) ? I can't wait, but don't play beta as a rule.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Is the game live now (as in no more resets etc) ? I can't wait, but don't play beta as a rule.

They have already said no more wipes in the patch notes about 3 weeks ago.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

That innovation score needs to be wiped from the list, not just the score, but the category.  It's trying to "innovate" in action rpgs that destroyed Diablo 3 before it was even launched and turned it into an unrecognizable experience that dissapointed a lot of people.  You shouldn't innovate on something that was nailed so perfectly 12 years ago.  Don't mess with something that was right the first time.  All PoE did was plug leveled gems and a GIANT passive skill tree into the mix instead of a standard skill tree.  THAT was the smallest amount of innovation that was needed and it was an amazing idea.

It is very unfair to give a 6/10 in my mind for that score.  This game gets a 9/10 in my mind because of what it has offered me for the last nine months.  I have played it every single day and have loved every second of it.  I can't say that about a certain other game.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

It's basically in soft release now,it's open beta with no more character wipes.They're still tweaking the game and server's.Probably a full release later in the year.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Originally posted by Skymourne

That innovation score needs to be wiped from the list, not just the score, but the category.  It's trying to "innovate" in action rpgs that destroyed Diablo 3 before it was even launched and turned it into an unrecognizable experience that dissapointed a lot of people.  You shouldn't innovate on something that was nailed so perfectly 12 years ago.  Don't mess with something that was right the first time.  All PoE did was plug leveled gems and a GIANT passive skill tree into the mix instead of a standard skill tree.  THAT was the smallest amount of innovation that was needed and it was an amazing idea.

It is very unfair to give a 6/10 in my mind for that score.  This game gets a 9/10 in my mind because of what it has offered me for the last nine months.  I have played it every single day and have loved every second of it.  I can't say that about a certain other game.

/thread ...RMAH was "innovating" (if you call one step forward two steps back innovation) and we see how that turned out. They couldn't even put in rune words, and the "crafting" system D3 has is probably the most randomized useless crafting system I ever saw. They may have changed the crafting, I don't know, but why it is even in an ARPG is beyond me.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Only thing I can say is that I think meele combat still needs works. It still seems a little sluggish. Other than that it truely is fun game to play. It is so much better than Diablo 3 and  Torchlight 2. Definitely what arpg fans have been waiting for.

At the end of the day this is what caused me to stop playing.  Maybe one day when this is fixed I can return and give it a fair shot but for now I'll stick with TL2 as my ARPG of choice even though I prefer POE's graphics.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Cool download time :). For me I missed out on Diablo 2, and 3 is dull. This looks like Diablo 2 evolved, can't wait!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Not sure reviewer played enough or enough builds. The skill tree seems cool because it looks likeyou will have all these choices, but its an illusion, and non defense builds are mostly gimp.

You know what you said there contradicts itself, right? Not trying enough builds and then saying there arn't a lot of builds...

There is no illusion.. you choose every single thing that goes into your passive tree. It is exactly what it claims to be; a skill tree where you choose which branches to take.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

The game is fine, but hte content gets old fast..

Kind of scary that after a year from when I played the closed beta so little was added in..

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    LOL...The game plays like old gauntlet and looks about as good as that. This game isn't even technical enough to be a modern game.
    what do you mean by 'technical' ?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    LOL...The game plays like old gauntlet and looks about as good as that. This game isn't even technical enough to be a modern game.

I bet you think D3 is the more "technical" game with only its diffuse mapping over PoE's normal and displacement mapping.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

what do you mean by 'technical' ?

Sounds like one of the players that sucked it up on his first character and rage quit because he couldn't say oopsy daisies I put a point in the wrong skill let me get out of combat and completely change everything about my class. This game has more technicality in it than other ARPG on the market, if you want more you have go full on MMO.

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

My problem with this game (if you can call it a problem) is I want to give them my money, but there is nothing in their cash shop I see worth buying. 

Personally, I think they should sell orbs of regret to respec. I don't think that fits the definition of pay to win. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

My problem with this game (if you can call it a problem) is I want to give them my money, but there is nothing in their cash shop I see worth buying. 

Personally, I think they should sell orbs of regret to respec. I don't think that fits the definition of pay to win. 

That similar to paying real money for in game currency. Orb of regrets are in game currency right now and allowing them to be sold for real money would be considered P2W by many people.

I want to buy 200 orb of regrets. Now I can give this guy 100 orbs and purchase the best item in the game from him.

When a game is completely centered around loot, I think that would cheapen the experience.

• k44mosk44mos Member Posts: 22

Well said my good man. Well said.

If a game has an ability bar, resource meters (mana, hp etc.), a stat system, an inventory, isometric perspective - Nooes -> Diablo clone.

Go play pre '99 games. See how Diablo itself is a fucking copy. All Blizzard games are copies but they provide flawless gameplay. Getting sidetracked.

PoE provides unique elements that cannot be found in any other arpg (hack&slash). It borrows certain elements that proved to be working. I'm fine with the UI, the isometric perspective and the rest of nonsense everybody else is complaining about.

The game is hard but it rewards out-of-the-box thinking. You must plan a build and stick to it. There are few abilities so far but that will change. I am sure we will see more. What will the other morons say when the game will have over 100 active abilities and over 100 passive gems? Even with so few abilities, the game is more interesting than most of the games I've played these last few years.

The flask system is brilliant. I love it.

The orb system is fucking brilliant. I love it.

The economic system is brilliant. I love it.

I don't like the passive tree that much but I know that it will get tweaked in the future.

Play the game. Stick with it and you will be surprised at how fun it can be.

• NovuhzNovuhz Member UncommonPosts: 31

The combat makes me not want to play this game sadly.

Wish it had the fluid combat of D3.

Other than that the game is pretty good, but yeah gameplay is everything for me when playing a game the combat of PoE is just total crap...

Got to lvl 49 then just quitted.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Zixizor

The combat makes me not want to play this game sadly.

Wish it had the fluid combat of D3.

Other than that the game is pretty good, but yeah gameplay is everything for me when playing a game the combat of PoE is just total crap...

Got to lvl 49 then just quitted.

That's the problem right there.  Blizzard sells polish...that's it.  Gameplay means more than fluidity.  PoE has 20 people on staff.  20.  Diablo 3 had thousands and the fact that 20 people can pour their passion into a product and it, without a doubt, destroys the product of over 1000 holier-than-thou blowhards is amazing.  It's a shame you quit, because this game is going places that Diablo 3 never will.  That's a shame too because i like D3's fluid gameplay as well.  Too bad Blizzard brought nothing else to the table.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Personally, I can't really knock it for being to similar to other ARPGs, when it's the best in the entire genre.  Even better than Diablo 2, IMHO.  Especially if potential is taken into account.  I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

That similar to paying real money for in game currency. Orb of regrets are in game currency right now and allowing them to be sold for real money would be considered P2W by many people.

I want to buy 200 orb of regrets. Now I can give this guy 100 orbs and purchase the best item in the game from him.

When a game is completely centered around loot, I think that would cheapen the experience.

buy some stash slots

40$ gets you 12 customizable slots

I have 

Gems/Orbs/Chain/Plate/Scale/Cloth/Jewelry/Shields/Swords-Daggers/Axes-Maces/Wands-Fists/Bows-Quiv/ and the 4 greys are for whites/blues/leveling gear/miscellaneous stuff