Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destructive criticism the cancer of gaming forums

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Not everyone knows exactly why they are unhappy and just act on the default instinct is to lash out.

Some people just like to watch the world burn.

Some people are rutting rams.

We speak with many different voices and sometimes blur together into white noise.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by maplestone

Not everyone knows exactly why they are unhappy and just act on the default instinct is to lash out.

Some people just like to watch the world burn.

Some people are rutting rams.

We speak with many different voices and sometimes blur together into white noise.

haha someone has been watching batman haha

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I don't think destructive criticism helps anyone except the person posting it. If you are unhappy with a game, sure vent a post about it. Its when you continue to pick it apart that really borders on trolling with a vengence, what is the point to stick around in something that you don't like? Its like going to a movie that you hate over and over to scream in the theatre about how the movie sucks and how you would like it to have been made your way. Sure you can do it, but what purpose does it serve in the end?
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Fearum
    I don't think destructive criticism helps anyone except the person posting it. If you are unhappy with a game, sure vent a post about it. Its when you continue to pick it apart that really borders on trolling with a vengence, what is the point to stick around in something that you don't like? Its like going to a movie that you hate over and over to scream in the theatre about how the movie sucks and how you would like it to have been made your way. Sure you can do it, but what purpose does it serve in the end?

lol I like that analogy very much +1.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I kind of disagree in the following circumstance; when the positives are overstated.  I see in certain threads a complete absence of objectivity or realism (imo of course) and feel that this should be countered.  

Originally posted by MightyChasm

I kind of disagree in the following circumstance; when the positives are overstated.  I see in certain threads a complete absence of objectivity or realism (imo of course) and feel that this should be countered.  

sure but again if someone comes along and says game x is the best game ever made for xyz reasons and you find it absurd because you feel the game is garbage but your reply is i disagree game is shit.. how does that help anything at all? it just starts a flame war that 90% of these larger threads become

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

sure but again if someone comes along and says game x is the best game ever made for xyz reasons and you find it absurd because you feel the game is garbage but your reply is i disagree game is shit.. how does that help anything at all? it just starts a flame war that 90% of these larger threads become

True, but when have these threads ever contained reasoned debate?  I think that this is a forum of those who shout loudest (or at least make the most controversial title/ comment).  

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

The OP's post would've been better if it was shortened by a lot.

• SafoSafo Member UncommonPosts: 48

True, but when have these threads ever contained reasoned debate?  I think that this is a forum of those who shout loudest (or at least make the most controversial title/ comment).  

I think you mean the forums on this site.  There is a reason I have been a member since this site went live and barely posted at all...   and don't ask me why I suddenly decided to post now, cause I have no idea. 

Originally posted by Drolkin

The OP's post would've been better if it was shortened by a lot.

the OP is just my copy and paste of an article aside from the first paragraph

Originally posted by Safo

I think you mean the forums on this site.  There is a reason I have been a member since this site went live and barely posted at all...   and don't ask me why I suddenly decided to post now, cause I have no idea. 

i'm sure someone like yourself that has been around this site since the start has seen more than enough destructive criticism to drive oneself crazy:P

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    I believe that we see so much destructive criticism with regard to the video game genre because there are so many examples of products completely and utterly without any redeeming value.  If i say that game X sucks because it wants me to kill 10 wolves all day so that one day i can gain a level or get a magic sword, is that constructive or destructive?   Does it matter?

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Originally posted by BigHatLogan
    I believe that we see so much destructive criticism with regard to the video game genre because there are so many examples of products completely and utterly without any redeeming value.  If i say that game X sucks because it wants me to kill 10 wolves all day so that one day i can gain a level or get a magic sword, is that constructive or destructive?   Does it matter?

It goes on merit mate. And that is down to a consensus of opinion. Sadly, almost everything comes down to a vote, not intellectual aptitude.  So, it depends what other people think.  [mod edit]

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

The problem is not the antagonists.  The problem is the _reaction_ of others to the antagonists.

They want to start a war.  People give it to them.  That reinforces and rewards the behavior.  Do you really want to reward the antagonists?

Ignore the idiots and they go away.  Simply don't feed the trolls.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I think a huge problem as well is propaganda, people posting about a game in a sheerly posative light, giving no negative input at all in attempts to paint the game as some golden graal. This harms games in a much more tainted way, often times keeping bad practices hidden away and for those developing the game it can cause bad concepts to continue on since they aren't be addressed or pointed out by the community. Criticism is VITAL for  any form of media to get better. I'd much rather destructive critism being around then propaganda as propaganda will never bring any improvements. At least destructive critism can point out flaws, even if they go over-board in a lot of different areas about it. 

I'd much rather someone tell me that my poke-dot striped shirt looks stupid then them complimenting me and saying I look good and continue to use the same style and look like a tool. 

its constructive in you explained why you feel the game sucks.. you didn't just say game x sucks peroid... also it matters a great deal as destructive criticism is basically baiting and leads to the nonstop bitch fests we see here on a daily basis. It shadows any actual discussion that could be had and just becomes a flame war.

Also if you say game x sucks because of those reason yet stick in those games forums for months and months and continue to say the exact same thing what good are you doing then?

its constructive in you explained why you feel the game sucks.. you didn't just say game x sucks peroid... also it matters a great deal as destructive criticism is basically baiting and leads to the nonstop bitch fests we see here on a daily basis. It shadows any actual discussion that could be had and just becomes a flame war.

Also if you say game x sucks because of those reason yet stick in those games forums for months and months and continue to say the exact same thing what good are you doing then?

Aero, got to ask, what if people argue unreasonable (subjective) that a game is good.  Is that also trolling.  Not you btw just wanted your opinion.  

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Who should be the artitrator of what is constructive and/or destructive?  Who sets the guidlines?  Should all forums have these rules or only the companies' forums or mmorpg.com?  Why should we care if it is constructive or destructive here?  I'm not sure why it matters on these forums, they are not going to "destroy" anything.  People will just go to different forums where they can say what they want about a game.  Are we then going to go to the other forum and demand an end to "destructive" criticism?  Is there not to be anyplace to just vent?  To me that is what much of the "destructive" criticism is...venting.
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Who should be the artitrator of what is constructive and/or destructive?  Who sets the guidlines?  Should all forums have these rules or only the companies' forums or mmorpg.com?  Why should we care if it is constructive or destructive here?  I'm not sure why it matters on these forums, they are not going to "destroy" anything.  People will just go to different forums where they can say what they want about a game.  Are we then going to go to the other forum and demand an end to "destructive" criticism?  Is there not to be anyplace to just vent?  To me that is what much of the "destructive" criticism is...venting.

well that was constructive imo, I would still ban you (joke), but is is entirely subjective.  

so you enjoy most threads on these forums devolving into bitch fests back and forth because some people can't come up with anything with any context and are just looking to "vent" their frustrations over and over and over?

We aren't talking about judging ones opinions it's not hard to see an obvious destructive post.. it's really not that hard... i go into a games forums and post "this game is pure shit" hows that doing any good at all?

so you enjoy most threads on these forums devolving into bitch fests back and forth because some people can't come up with anything with any context and are just looking to "vent" their frustrations over and over and over?

We aren't talking about judging ones opinions it's not hard to see an obvious destructive post.. it's really not that hard... i go into a games forums and post "this game is pure shit" hows that doing any good at all?

Would you trust yourself Aero to be an arbitrator 

I can't count the times I have seen someone post about a game, and then seen someone come in and claim they are "bashing" the game, when I didn't think they were.  Who decides then?  Why are you claiming that I enjoy forums devolving into "bitch fests?"  I'm still trying to understand if this is going to be an internet wide destructive criticism ban or just these forums?  When half the board leaves and goes somewhere else are we going to follow them to their new forum and demand that destructive criticism end there too? 

• SafoSafo Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Safo

i'm sure someone like yourself that has been around this site since the start has seen more than enough destructive criticism to drive oneself crazy:P

The pain and suffering I have seen here.  At some points it reminded me of the Flame sites, where people just go to bitch and air grievances.   I still have a nervious twitch in my eye that flares up just coming here... I'm learning to deal with it though. image

The biggest problem I have is pretty much this.  And not the OP specifically, but determining who exactly is going to be that arbitrator.

ha! maybe that's a good title for me!.. i think i would make a decent mod of sorts as I have done it on other forums in the past.. 

This discussion has been closed.