Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I know im kind of a dork. BUT why no pokemon mmorpg.

Lets be honest.

I'm 24.

And it would be a lot of fun.

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by artyport

Lets be honest.

I'm 24.

And it would be a lot of fun.

Would play in a heartbeat and I'm nearing 30. This idea has been tossed around before, basically the best argument I have seen for not having one is Nintendo/Game Freak are a bunch of a-holes.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    I enjoy casual mmo's and pet collecting type malarchy.  I was too old for pokeyourmum (hohoho- sorry) but I would like to see something like it.  
  • injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    That's weird we actually had this conversation last night in Vent. I'm not saying I would play it, but wow out of an IP that would make a ton of money, it seems like a no-brainer. 
  • laoboixaylaoboixay Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I think the main reason there is no pokemon mmorpg is because they still want to monopolize the handheld series ( their main profit). If an mmo did come out less people would buy the ds versions, im pretty sure they would have made one already seeing that digimon already has a mmorpg that could have the same style as a pokemon mmo.
    Originally posted by laoboixay
    I think the main reason there is no pokemon mmorpg is because they still want to monopolize the handheld series ( their main profit). If an mmo did come out less people would buy the ds versions, im pretty sure they would have made one already seeing that digimon already has a mmorpg that could have the same style as a pokemon mmo.

I would say different customer base.  Or at least complimentary.  

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Reason: Not enough dorks.

Couldn't resist with the title of the thread and no one having said it yet.

Real answer: No company sees the IP as a big money maker in the MMO space. Either because they think it is past it's prime (is it still on TV?) or they don't think there'd be enough ways to monetize it. Those are the answers to why any given thing is not a game - not enough interest or not enough ways to profit.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Reason: Not enough dorks.

Couldn't resist with the title of the thread and no one having said it yet.

Real answer: No company sees the IP as a big money maker in the MMO space. Either because they think it is past it's prime (is it still on TV?) or they don't think there'd be enough ways to monetize it. Those are the answers to why any given thing is not a game - not enough interest or not enough ways to profit.

Obvious Mr Wolf.  I agree the IP these days is probably worth sweet FA in the western world.  The concept however, I think it would work as a casual game.  

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    MoP beat them to it?
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    They have a couple but they aren't done all that well. Pokemon world online is probably the best done one out of all of them, but it still is mainly just a single player pokemon game with people you can duel and see while walking around.
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    MoP beat them to it?

hate to say it but W101

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    nintendo released an official statement a few years ago about this. look for it on the net. said something about how they wanted to keep the aspect of players trading and interacting with other players to real life as much as possible so they refused to make a mmorpg. you can find plenty of "catch them"  style games on facebook if you want to get your fix.
    Originally posted by Salio69
    nintendo released an official statement a few years ago about this. look for it on the net. said something about how they wanted to keep the aspect of players trading and interacting with other players to real life as much as possible so they refused to make a mmorpg. you can find plenty of "catch them"  style games on facebook if you want to get your fix.

We have two high street companies here, HMV (dvd's and CD's) and Waterstones (books).  Both refused to accept digital downloads as a realistic alternative to the real thing, both have recently gone into administration.  

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I would probably play it before this other BS that is coming out. They just keep getting worse into using anything to sell a game that won't last a few months to keep pushing out this crap. No a Pokemon MMORPG, mind you I expect it to be a MMORPG but definition I would play, than again any truly defined MMORPG I would play at this point.
  • SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367
    While not a true or official Pokemon MMO, there are 2 games that have essentially taken the original games and made them into an mmo, with custom content and a ton of people online. One is PokeMMO, which can be found at Pokemmo.eu, and the other is Pokemon: Dawn of Darkness, found at Pokemondod.com. It's funny, I only found out about these games two nights ago while searching online. I hope they're helpful.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm in my mid 30's and I have only heard of Pokemon, no real idea what it is.  I must have been too old when the Pokemon craze happened?
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

I think there are several reasons:

1) Nintendo's shaky history with anything online. Let's face it, for some damned reason, Nintendo tends to favor Local over anything online. Granted they have Wi-Fi, but they often seem to feel the need to put about a million hoops and loops in the way.

2) One of Pokemon's main selling points is the fact that you have to trade between two games of the same generation (or the exact same game except with a few changes here and there) in order to get the full pokedex. If an MMO were to be made, You'd have to have access to every pokemon available, otherwise there would be complaints of not having certain pokemon. This would also result in the handhelds likely selling far less because now you don't have to go through the hassle of either finding someone with the pokemon you want on a different game because you can just go find a guy in the MMO space to do so.

3) There are hundreds of pokemon, and they would have to keep adding new ones at an even faster rate to keep people from running out of pokemon to collect.

4)How would legendaries work?

This list goes on, but I don't feel like continuing.

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    I'm in my mid 30's and I have only heard of Pokemon, no real idea what it is.  I must have been too old when the Pokemon craze happened?

Since you could've googled that, i'll assume you were just a teenage hipster during the pokemania fever.

Originally posted by Thanosxp

Since you could've googled that, i'll assume you were just a teenage hipster during the pokemania fever.

He was into Pokeaman, the little known indie alternative.  

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    my wife and i played pokemmo like half a year ago, was very fun. very stable server.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

I was discussing this not 2 nights ago. There is actually a player made Pokemon MMO, called Pokemon World, but it is extremely rudimentary. The idea is exactly how it should play out, though. It seems like a complete no brainer, to me... but I can imagine Nintendo wouldn't want it to happen, as Pokemon already offers multitudes of multiplayer capabilities, and they don't want the franchise leaving their handheld products.

Edit: Weird, I didn't even know about the Pokemmo one. It looks pretty similar to the other one; they created them both using Pokemon Firered

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

MMOs are waking up to the fact that they can look at their worlds as platforms in which to embed minigames like a Pokemon-clone. 

The window of opportunity for Pokemon as a standalone MMO may have already closed.  What I would do if I were them was to focus on a Pokemon minigame. Then cross-licence with MMOs so that the Pokemon brand name / ruleset could be used within the MMO as a minigame while the game's art/IP would be importable as a deck set for a Pokemon standalone game.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

My bad.  I was just going into college.  Yes all of us were playing pokemon in our dorm rooms......

My bad.  I was just going into college.  Yes all of us were playing pokemon in our dorm rooms......

was that Alanis Morrisette irony?  If you are too young she is a moron.  

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

BEcause Pokemon games are what drives the sales of Ninendo's handhelds. Why would they waste that on a MMO that has a huge chance of being a failure because having an idea for MMO and actually making a good MMO are two different things. 

Plus, since Pokemon is mainly aimed and marketed towards younger part of population, and yet is played by older demographic as well, it could turn out into PR disaster when you'd get same type of chat interaction as you get with other MMO out there. 

All ina ll too much effort and risk and not enough reward compared to their current business model. 

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Legendaries would be easy.

You use it once and it's released afterwards.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."