Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Niche game

ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

They aim to make a niche game, but I bet they get more subscribers than most f2p games got players :)

It's number two in popularity on mmorpg.com

gg "niche game" :)

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    You do realize this site is home to fans of niche titles right?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

what game in the top 10 most popular on mmorpg.com today is niche?

#1Guild Wars 2 17,120 Hits

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Arcona

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Honestly pretty much every one of these except ESO and GW2 is a niche product for a certain type of gamer, whether its ARPG fast combat, WoW clones, or Single player RPGS in MMO clothing, most of those can safely be considered to have their own "niche".

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

uhm we are talking mmorpg market right?

they are aiming to make a niche game in the mmorpg market.

These games are mainstream in the mmorpg market.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

i don't think it's possible to "aim to make a niche game".  you make a game and it either becomes mainstream,  fails,  or gets a small group of people that play it and keep it alive.  it's not up to developers to make it "niche" or not.  it's up to gamers.

• Lore84Lore84 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by muffins89

i don't think it's possible to "aim to make a niche game".  you make a game and it either becomes mainstream,  fails,  or gets a small group of people that play it and keep it alive.  it's not up to developers to make it "niche" or not.  it's up to gamers.

You've got a point there, but I can't say I entirely agree...I think by "aiming" to a niche market just simply means that its aimed at I suppose what could be described as a specific player within the MMO industry....i mean, considering most MMO's have some form of PVE and CU won't i suppose Jacobs is justified in saying hes aiming for a niche market just in that regard, then add in the focus on RVR compared to more traiditonal pvp.....

But yeah, i suppose if enough people play it then it could bring this type of game out of niche and into mainstream?

Ex-DAOC, Excalibur