Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ewok Festival of Love

2»

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by ktanner3

ROFL! Keep them coming. 

It's very telling that you decided to start ripping on TOR after everyone that posted didn't have the same love for that  event. 

I was only putting things into perspective, but is it that people do not like the event because it is 1) Lovey dovey which all Valentines day events are and seems silly or 2) Because it is the hate for Ewoks from Star Wars as a whole or 3) The hate for SOE or 4) The event itself. Do Valentine day events fit in a MMO and now does it mean that because Trion added a Love Bug event to Rift, that they no longer give a stuff for Rift? That is all I am trying to determine. Mix it all up and you get super hate and no rational reasoning for not liking this event at all. Now all you are doing is trying to devalue my OPINIONS and discredit me, but still no one says why they hate it or how it could have been done better, and the main reason for my comments was the bash on SOE as a whole and not the event.

I'm not trying to discredit you. You do a good enough job of that all by yourself. If you're going to start a thread about the Ewok Festival of Love, don't get pissy when others post their opinions about it. Even people that liked the game were not very fond of it. The don't have to give you a long summation for why they didn't like it. That's just silly. 

And far as the bash on SOE, you're just going to have to live with that.. SOE has no one to blame but themselves for their reputation and no amount of sugar coating is going to change what people personally experienced with that company. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

post deleted

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    There were a lot of good things about SWG.  This was not one of them.

That's about all that can be said about the Ewok Love Fest.

Things like this specifically make me not miss the game and are a perfect example of the overall mismanagement of SOE. Instead of wasting limited programmer time on stupid shit like this, they could have directed the effort at things that actually "needed work". Like the shitty NGE engine, rubber banding, fixing bugs, etc etc. Instead you got this crap and "life day" BS and the trick or treat nonsense. And yes, all that is an indication that SOE gave up on SWG long, long before the closing bell. (Stupid window dressing vs meaningful development.)

They did fix it up. Those things could not be fixed COMPLETLEY as the NGE mixed with CU mixed with pre-CU made it impossible to fix, without shutting the game for a long time, and rewriting the game from the ground up. SOE just made the best of what they had.

SWTOR is the NGE written from the ground up and still has lag when too many people get on screen. This event is FAR FAR better than SWTORs event.

Plus after this SOE did many many more things to SWG, and it was turning out to be a great game. GCW City invasions, GCW 2 space invasions, Beast levelling via mission terminals made levelling a pet a joy than a pain, Bounty Hunting in space and not just ground, and that was stuff only done in the last year of its life. To come would have been Chronicles 2 which would make it more fun, and there was Atmospheric Flight. SWTOR players can only dream of getting that stuff. If the game had carried on, plenty more stuff would have been done.

SOE never gave up on SWG even after the closure announcement. EA/BW have given up on SWTOR.

Oh please... we know you like the game so much you spent $10k-$30k (the price of college in some places) playing it but really.

Nothing is "impossible to fix." Except when you don't care to and reduce the development budget to almost nothing. Which is precisely what SOE did. They had 2-3 part time devs working on SWG in the later years and told them "Do what you can..." which ammounted to pushing out window dressing, i.e. Ewok chocolate fest, and trick or treat BS (Gee, why was none of that in any movie?). The bugs, the lag, the PvP slideshows, all of that as there until the very last day. Because SOE DID NOT CARE ENOUGH TO FIX IT.

As to the rest of that stuff at the very end, the atmospheric flight and the rest was already there in the code and they just  turned it on, because unblancing the game no longer mattered. Same thing with removing the lock on all the free TCG stuff, SOE just did not give a shit any longer, and hadn't for years.

We know you liked the game and all, but come back to reality a bit eh?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Usually the Holiday Events in MMOs are just lame because they are based on Holidays of this reality and planet.

It just always seems contrived.

I would rather see in game MMO Holiday Events based on that games lore and world and have nothing to do with RL events.

The only MMO Holiday Events I can think of that worked well were in LOTRO and CoX.

Both because the planets were Earth and LOTRO because they were Seasonal themed.

Life Day was the only SWG Holiday Event that kind of worked. It was too "christmasy" though.

Empire/Rebel Day even though it fit the Star Wars theme was boring as all hell. Not well thought out.

Harvest Moon (or whatever..Halloweenfest) was just silly. Why were they celebrating Halloween on different planets in a different galaxy 1000s of years ago?

And then there is Ewok Love Fest.image

Its like one of the Devs 8 year old daughters thought it up. Flying Ewoks with Cupid wings? Hearts and Chocolate?

If that Event wasnt Care Bears Online I dont know what is.

My Guild would only do PvP during that events run and anyone wearing those wings was instant KOS

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

ROFL! Keep them coming. 

It's very telling that you decided to start ripping on TOR after everyone that posted didn't have the same love for that  event. 

I was only putting things into perspective, but is it that people do not like the event because it is 1) Lovey dovey which all Valentines day events are and seems silly or 2) Because it is the hate for Ewoks from Star Wars as a whole or 3) The hate for SOE or 4) The event itself. Do Valentine day events fit in a MMO and now does it mean that because Trion added a Love Bug event to Rift, that they no longer give a stuff for Rift? That is all I am trying to determine. Mix it all up and you get super hate and no rational reasoning for not liking this event at all. Now all you are doing is trying to devalue my OPINIONS and discredit me, but still no one says why they hate it or how it could have been done better, and the main reason for my comments was the bash on SOE as a whole and not the event.

I'm not trying to discredit you. You do a good enough job of that all by yourself. If you're going to start a thread about the Ewok Festival of Love, don't get pissy when others post their opinions about it. Even people that liked the game were not very fond of it. The don't have to give you a long summation for why they didn't like it. That's just silly. 

And far as the bash on SOE, you're just going to have to live it. SOE has no one to blame but themselves for that and no amount of sugar coating is going to change what people personally experienced with that company. 

But it was not just opinions of the EFOL. There was no opinion of the EFOL that I repsonded to

SWTOR is only in the limelight as is another SW MMO. The fact of whether I like or hate it is irrevelant.

Again no proper discussion of how the EFOL could have been better, and if any body did say why they did not like it then the responses would make them foolish.

SOE are learning by their mistakes but EA just keep making them and when people bash SOE it all because of the past and not the here and now, and then walk into a trsuted compant like BW and expect a great game in SWTOR but then get disappointed when it does not work out, and that affected about 1.5 million players. If SOE released SWTOR it would not have sold 2 million copies, that was on Bioware and then mass loads of people got let down and disappointed.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

At first I had to check to make sure this was not a necro thread.   Eqok fest of love almost as bad as life day.  Wow. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    [mod edit]
    And if I do, it makes not one bit of what I said incorrect. And it doesn't.

But it was not just opinions of the EFOL. There was no opinion of the EFOL that I repsonded to

SWTOR is only in the limelight as is another SW MMO. The fact of whether I like or hate it is irrevelant.

Again no proper discussion of how the EFOL could have been better, and if any body did say why they did not like it then the responses would make them foolish.

SOE are learning by their mistakes but EA just keep making them and when people bash SOE it all because of the past and not the here and now, and then walk into a trsuted compant like BW and expect a great game in SWTOR but then get disappointed when it does not work out, and that affected about 1.5 million players. If SOE released SWTOR it would not have sold 2 million copies, that was on Bioware and then mass loads of people got let down and disappointed.

Your opening post in this thread was just basically about how you would be playing this event if the game were still around.. There was no request for improving it though I really doubt that most people are going to care to discuss improving an event for a game that no longer exists. You have a right to post your feelings on that matter, but so does everyone else. And for the majority posting, the event was garbage and they don't miss it. 

With SOE, it doesn't matter what the here and now is to the people that were burned. They're still going to remember having their game taken away  and being told by the people in charge to basically live with it. You can't expect paying customers to forget a company that treated them like garbage. Like with any product they remember the company brand and then warn their friends about the experience. That's how it works in the consumer world. It also isn't just SWG fans because I also hear many complaints from players of other SOE games. 

Your opening post in this thread was just basically about how you would be playing this event if the game were still around.. There was no request for improving it though I really doubt that most people are going to care to discuss improving an event for a game that no longer exists. You have a right to post your feelings on that matter, but so does everyone else. And for the majority posting, the event was garbage and they don't miss it. 

With SOE, it doesn't matter what the here and now is to the people that were burned. They're still going to remember having their game taken away  and being told by the people in charge to basically live with it. You can't expect paying customers to forget a company that treated them like garbage. Like with any product they remember the company brand and then warn their friends about the experience. That's how it works in the consumer world. It also isn't just SWG fans because I also hear many complaints from other SOE players.

I did not in the OP ask for improvements, but did so in this posts last paragraph

Saying that SWGs event is better than SWTORs event is not bashing SWTOR. Either people would not prefer any event and therefor my comment is praising SWTOR, but it has no event and if people want an event then SWGs is better.

It also seems that people bash it when not even played it, an earlier poster thought a quest needed you to dip stuff in chocolate, but was not the case, so seems some bashing on it is from cluelessness.

I myself did not like it much, and was the least played of all events. I could only stomach doing it on one char per year, but it was an event and something to do. Maybe all the moaning of content like this puts devs off doing stuff altogether and why SWTOR is getting very little stuff. You can't bash something that does not exist.

I also do not see how it shows the devs have given up on the game.  All they did was added in seasonal events. Other MMOs have good stuff and bad stuff too. SOE only gave up on SWG because of it to some people because of the NGE. If EA / BW start adding as much to SWTOR as SOE did with SWG then I will stop saying EA/BW have gioven up on SWTOR too.

SOE has had a good year with 2012, they saved EQmac from closure,  changed their minds eventually about ProSiieben, made a good game in Planetside 2, and know what needs to be done to make MMOs more exciting again - "EQ Next being the biggest sandbox ..."  so they are looking to be backl on the up. Companies at the top and that regarded as awesome get complacent, and more likely to flop as rely on their name than quality, companies that are at the bottom put more effort t climb back up.  From all this experience I have given up hating on companies,  I was even boycotting EA games, but have bought loads recently, Sims 3, Most Wanted, Dead Space 3 (still fun game with added resource gathering which attracted me but the MT ruins it which the other did not have so much) and getting Sim City.  If the games are any good then I will get them, if not then I won't, but I am not putting my faith into another awesome company like BW and being let down again. The best plan is just waiit for release and then try and then buy if like. Basically all comapnies are as bad as one another, they all make mistakes. The whole point in boycoting a company is so that they mend their ways, and SOE is doing that each day lately, so to keep boycotting them more is just a waste of energy and pointless. Companies are constantly going out of business, and boycotting makes things worse, soon no companies will exist, and there will be nothing to entertain us. 

SOE has had a good year with 2012, they saved EQmac from closure,  changed their minds eventually about ProSiieben, made a good game in Planetside 2, and know what needs to be done to make MMOs more existing again - "EQ Next being the biggest sandbox ..."  so they are looking to be backl on the up. Companies at the top and that regarded as awesome get complacent, and more likely to flop as rely on their name than quality, companies that are at the bottom put more effort t climb back up.  From all this experience I have given up hating on companies,  I was even boycotting EA games, but have bought loads recently, Sims 3, Most Wanted, Dead Space 3 (still fun game with added resource gathering which attracted me but the MT ruins it which the other did not have so much) and getting Sim City.  If the games are any good then I will get them, if not then I won't, but I am not putting my faith into another awesome company like BW and being let down again. The best plan is just waiit for release and then try and then buy if like. Basically all comapnies are as bad as one another, they all make mistakes. The whole point in boycoting a company is so that they mend their ways, and SOE is doing that each day lately, so to keep boycotting them more is just a waste of energy and pointless. Companies are constantly going out of business, and boycotting makes things worse, soon no companies will exist, and there will be nothing to entertain us. 

That logic makes no sense. This was not just a company making a little mistake like forgetting to fix a bug.. This was a case of a company  changing an entire game and being smug about it. It takes no energy whatsoever to say "I'm not buying another SOE" product. There are players who refuse to play a FUNCOM game ever again because of AOC. Same with EA after TOR.Or Cryptic after Champions Online and STO.  They're  consumers who feel that a company is releasing crappy products and they don't feel like wasting their hard earned money on them again. That's just smart consumerism. If more players were smart consumers we wouldn't get half the disapointing posts that we do around here. If a company goes out of business because of a boycott, then so be it. They deserved what they got. That's how the free market works. 

SOE has had a good year with 2012, they saved EQmac from closure,  changed their minds eventually about ProSiieben, made a good game in Planetside 2, and know what needs to be done to make MMOs more existing again - "EQ Next being the biggest sandbox ..."  so they are looking to be backl on the up. Companies at the top and that regarded as awesome get complacent, and more likely to flop as rely on their name than quality, companies that are at the bottom put more effort t climb back up.  From all this experience I have given up hating on companies,  I was even boycotting EA games, but have bought loads recently, Sims 3, Most Wanted, Dead Space 3 (still fun game with added resource gathering which attracted me but the MT ruins it which the other did not have so much) and getting Sim City.  If the games are any good then I will get them, if not then I won't, but I am not putting my faith into another awesome company like BW and being let down again. The best plan is just waiit for release and then try and then buy if like. Basically all comapnies are as bad as one another, they all make mistakes. The whole point in boycoting a company is so that they mend their ways, and SOE is doing that each day lately, so to keep boycotting them more is just a waste of energy and pointless. Companies are constantly going out of business, and boycotting makes things worse, soon no companies will exist, and there will be nothing to entertain us. 

That logic makes no sense. This was not just a company making a little mistake like forgetting to fix a bug.. This was a case of a company  changing an entire game and being smug about it. It takes no energy whatsoever to say "I'm not buying another SOE" product. There are players who refuse to play a FUNCOM game ever again because of AOC. Same with EA after TOR.Or Cryptic after Champions Online and STO.  They're  consumers who feel that a company is releasing crappy products and they don't feel like wasting their hard earned money on them again. That's just smart consumerism. If more players were smart consumers we wouldn't get half the disapointing posts that we do around here. If a company goes out of business because of a boycott, then so be it. They deserved what they got. That's how the free market works. 

That is because it all gets personal. At the end of the day each company does their best to sell a product, and naturally do not want people to get upset and leave.

LA is part of the major game change too, it is Julio Torres of LUCASARTS grinning and acting all smug over the NGE, and it is him explaining that they expected some players to leave but then return. Smedley responds with shame and even apologies for it, or avoids a NGE debate like a coward, but at the end of the day smed does what he can to please everyone.

Here is LA going on about the NGE

Raph Koster posted a statement on his site, that Smedley is a decent person and goes out of his way to help people, and the whole truth about the NGE can not be stated anywhere due to NDA. All the supposed facts about SOE with NGE, are twisted because the true facts can not be known, and so SOE ends up getting the blame for it.

Dallas Dickinson was the one who said we wanted to be a hero, and though 9 iconic professions were a good idea, and it was Dallas Dickinson who cut out lot of stuff from SWTOR and made a load of devs cry. Dallas Dickinson does not work for SOE

Like I said, boycotting is dumb, and just play a game you like, if you like Planetside 2 but do not play it because of SOE that is dumb. If you do not like PS2 then simply do not play it. Simple as.

I stopped playing SWG when the NGE hit, played loads of other MMOs, and did not like them, went back to SWG as it was the only MMO to entertain me, even in the NGE form. SWTOR did entertain me, but only short trem like a single player game. If Dead Space 3 did not have the new weapon crafting system in it I would not play it either, but it was different enough, that made me like it, so I go out and buy it, even though I think EA are snakes in the grass.

I don;t care any more all this hate does my head in, especuially when many companies are involved, and there is no way of knowing the full facts unless you work at the companies in managing position where the truth is known, otherwise you could be hating the wrong people/company. If a game is good, then buy and play, if a game is bad then avoid and not play it. Avoiding games based on companies is dumb. It is wise to be cautious, but avoiding a possible good game because it is from a certain company is dumb

I don;t care any more all this hate does my head in, especuially when many companies are involved, and there is no way of knowing the full facts unless you work at the companies in managing position where the truth is known, otherwise you could be hating the wrong people/company. If a game is good, then buy and play, if a game is bad then avoid and not play it. Avoiding games based on companies is dumb. It is wise to be cautious, but avoiding a possible good game because it is from a certain company is dumb

To each his own. I think giving money to a company that screws you over is dumb..I think getting bent out of shape over people not liking what you do is dumb. I  think it's dumb to worry so much about what people do or do not do with their money. I think it's dumb to constantly prattle the same talking points over and over in every thread. 

Anyways, back to pink flying ewoks...