Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Survivor Restates Obvious

Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223

Thanks for all the replies to last thread on how how goofy GW2 is, but as usual small minds make big assumptions.  Let me clarify a few things...

1.  I have hated WoW since Lich King

2.  I am not a dueling fanatic

3.  I came into GW2 with high hopes, yes that first week was super fun.

4.  GW2 is not the game I was looking for.  I am still in love with Ultima Online circa 2000, after Rennaisance but before Trammel expansion.  

5. I tried at least 10 guilds in GW2 and just like in WoW, it was obvious that guild chat was for people who were level 80 and everyone else needs to STFU.

6.  Crafting still blows, say whatever you want--doesn't change the fact that the curve is way too steep (except for Jeweler) and resources way to scarce.  Too many components, too much crap.  EXAMPLE: by the time I had a toon I was ready to level to 80 i had made several toons and gathered my ass off.  I had tons of mats in the bank.  I went to the cooking place and with all those mats I did not have what I needed to earn one point of skill.  RIDICULOUS. 

Thanks.  

One last point that fits into JUST BAD LUCK category--I had no idea on day one how to pick a server to play on, so I did it randomly.  OF COURSE my server has not won at WvW in the 3 weeks I have played.  last night they were tied for second and chat erupted given the news.  It would cost MONEY to move from this nooby server.

#epicfail

Comments

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Don't worry about it, people seem to get very protective about 'games they play' on here and there is little chance of getting rational or objective responses from them.    
  • LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Kamandi777

#epicfail

Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure you tried your best.

Joke;)

There are so many games coming out soon. it's a buyers paradise.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

6.  Crafting still blows, say whatever you want--doesn't change the fact that the curve is way too steep (except for Jeweler) and resources way to scarce.  Too many components, too much crap.  EXAMPLE: by the time I had a toon I was ready to level to 80 i had made several toons and gathered my ass off.  I had tons of mats in the bank.  I went to the cooking place and with all those mats I did not have what I needed to earn one point of skill.  RIDICULOUS. 

Eh... ok, sorry... this can't go unchallenged. Cooking. For a couple copper each, get the basic ingredients you need from the vendor there... flour, water, yeast, etc. Easiest thing to do is start with one buy of each, which gets you ten. Look at your crafting pane now, you'll have recipes able to make, such as ball of dough.

Come back after your epiphany.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Volkon

Eh... ok, sorry... this can't go unchallenged. Cooking. For a couple copper each, get the basic ingredients you need from the vendor there... flour, water, yeast, etc. Easiest thing to do is start with one buy of each, which gets you ten. Look at your crafting pane now, you'll have recipes able to make, such as ball of dough.

I wish guild wars 2 was like guild wars 1 skill bar wise. they ruin this game for me, only hope is the espansion packs thats my only hope. and my hope = more skills to play around with to make unique builds.

Originally posted by Half_Man_Half_Toon
    Originally posted by Volkon

I wish guild wars 2 was like guild wars 1 skill bar wise. they ruin this game for me, only hope is the espansion packs thats my only hope. and my hope = more skills to play around with to make unique builds.

It's actually a lot closer than people realize. Yes, the weapons have skills tied to them, and that part acually is done well by having skills that synergize with each other. Weapon swapping gives you a new set of skills on the left as well, or in the case of the elementalist I'm leveling attunement swapping gives you a total of 20 skills on the left. The utilities can be swapped on the fly to mix up your build for the situation. Don't overlook the power or traits either... you can dramatically change how you play by simply traiting different ways. It's true, it's not the "any eight skills you want" from GW1. But then again, you won't mistakenly find yourself running around with Otyaugh's Cry either.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51

Thanks for all the replies to last thread on how how goofy GW2 is, but as usual small minds make big assumptions.  Let me clarify a few things...

4.  GW2 is not the game I was looking for.  I am still in love with Ultima Online circa 2000, after Rennaisance but before Trammel expansion.  

5. I tried at least 10 guilds in GW2 and just like in WoW, it was obvious that guild chat was for people who were level 80 and everyone else needs to STFU.

Thanks.  

One last point that fits into JUST BAD LUCK category--I had no idea on day one how to pick a server to play on, so I did it randomly.  OF COURSE my server has not won at WvW in the 3 weeks I have played.  last night they were tied for second and chat erupted given the news.  It would cost MONEY to move from this nooby server.

#epicfail

First off, why are you making a new thread instead of posting in the thread you had created?

1. I'm glad for you. WoW never felt good to me, personally, partially because I didn't enjoy the art style or the feel of the animation (ie movement)

2. Glad to hear it. I hope that if they ever add it to GW2 they seriously limit where you can do it. Having duels in public places (such as the LA bank/TP) can be a pain for everyone else.

3. I'm glad. Personally after playing the first beta I had to stop playing other MMOs because they just weren't as fun... (GW2 effect)

4. Citing a 13 year old game, while might give some feel for what you are looking at doesn't really give a good feel for what you'd be looking for with the advancement of gaming between gameplay and graphical changes. It's a bit like me saying that I adore Quest for Glory I. It's true, but it doesn't immediately tell you what I might like in another game. Care to expound on what you are looking for in a game and where GW2 doesn't meet that criteria as you currently see it? That might help people to better give you suggestions for games to play or point out things you've missed in GW2.

5. What kind of guilds have you tried? Personally I'm part of a small, casual guild, which would always want you to talk and be part of the community. As a rule, this is more likely in small guilds simply because they're more like a family per se than a large guild that ends up being more like an organization. Of course the down side is that it's harder for the guild to field players for as many things as frequently. What are you looking for in a guild? Ask that question and you might be able better find a guild that fits you. This is true of any MMO that you play.

6. The game warns you, if you read the text when you choose cooking as a crafting profession that it is more complicated and will cost more money to do cooking. It's considered the 'advanced' profession. I suggest trying crafting weapons or armor that are what you'd use. Jeweler is a great choice for one of your two for your first character because its 'rare mats' are gemstones which are unique from the rare mat shared by most other professions. If you're struggling to find the rare mats for crafting a specific type of item, there are good guides online for what kind of monster drops what if you just google it.

WvW: You came into the game during a time of volitility in WvW. Free server transfers were ending so people doing server hoping to top tier servers all hurried to get on the server they wanted. This caused some servers that were one rank to have a drop in active WvW population. I believe Storm Bluff Isle (my server) had it the worst. We've been losing drastically for weeks due to this. However how the competition goes is that over time your server will come to a place where its WvW is fairly balanced with the other servers around it, meaning you probably won't win all the time, but you probably won't lose all the time either. What is your server? Knowing that might allow people to give you insight into its current situation.

Also, as a side note if being a top tier server in WvW is extremely important to you, you have the option of deleting all of your characters which will cause the game to treat your account as 'new' and allow you to transfer servers for free. Alternatively you could earn the in game gold to trade for gems to be able to transfer servers, if you feel like you're far enough along in that regards to not want to delete your characters.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Thanks.  

#epicfail

Actually that wasn't my experience with the jeweler the curve was way too steep for jeweler at the end. Specifically since it was the only discipline that required 3 globs of ectoplasm per rare item to make for that last 25 points to max. The thing that got be was they just left crafting by the wayside. No one can make any of the ascended gear not even the jewelry so so much for spending all that time getting to 400 and every legendary just has to be done in the mystic toilet.

• ChipSet91ChipSet91 Member UncommonPosts: 39

If you really tried 10 guilds, then maybe the problem is you and not the guilds…..

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Epic fail is so trendy and overused

Originally posted by itgrowls

Actually that wasn't my experience with the jeweler the curve was way too steep for jeweler at the end. Specifically since it was the only discipline that required 3 globs of ectoplasm per rare item to make for that last 25 points to max. The thing that got be was they just left crafting by the wayside. No one can make any of the ascended gear not even the jewelry so so much for spending all that time getting to 400 and every legendary just has to be done in the mystic toilet.

Requires? I hit 400 before I started using ectos for exotics. It could have been, though, trying to hit every discovery along the way that helped. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Why do you feel the need to state you played WoW? It seems pointlessly abrasive.

I posted a VERY constructive reply on your last post...

Originally posted by Vorch

As far as dungeons go:

--The LFG: www.gw2lfg.com

--Dungeon Basics: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon

There are two modes: Story and explorable

* Story mode unlocks explorable mode. Only one person in the group has to have story mode done in order for the group to tackle explorable mode.

* Explorable mode rewards the group with Dungeon Tokens. These can be exchanged in Lion's Arch for exotic weapons, armor, and other goodies.

To start a dungeon, just be on the map that the dungeon is in and enter. See the wiki article I posted for more specifics. You can also group with people from other servers.

The most popular dungeons at the moment are Ascalonian Catacombs, Citadel of Flame, and Arah. You can still find parties for the rest fairly easily utilizing www.gw2lfg.com.

--------------------

As far as dueling goes, can't you make a 1v1 group in sPvP? However, I do agree that it would be neat to either challenge people OR have a specific PvE location for duels.

As far as having no friends, try joining a different guild. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

I do hope that you come back soon.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Why do you feel the need to state you played WoW? It seems pointlessly abrasive.

I posted a VERY constructive reply on your last post...

As far as dungeons go:

--The LFG: www.gw2lfg.com

--Dungeon Basics: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon

There are two modes: Story and explorable

* Story mode unlocks explorable mode. Only one person in the group has to have story mode done in order for the group to tackle explorable mode.

* Explorable mode rewards the group with Dungeon Tokens. These can be exchanged in Lion's Arch for exotic weapons, armor, and other goodies.

To start a dungeon, just be on the map that the dungeon is in and enter. See the wiki article I posted for more specifics. You can also group with people from other servers.

The most popular dungeons at the moment are Ascalonian Catacombs, Citadel of Flame, and Arah. You can still find parties for the rest fairly easily utilizing www.gw2lfg.com.

--------------------

As far as dueling goes, can't you make a 1v1 group in sPvP? However, I do agree that it would be neat to either challenge people OR have a specific PvE location for duels.

As far as having no friends, try joining a different guild. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

I do hope that you come back soon.

One of few.  I read his last post and it was a little abrasive, but most of the responses were hardly helpful.  

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Kamandi777 Thanks for all the replies to last thread on how how goofy GW2 is, but as usual small minds make big assumptions.  Let me clarify a few things... 1.  I have hated WoW since Lich King 2.  I am not a dueling fanatic 3.  I came into GW2 with high hopes, yes that first week was super fun. 4.  GW2 is not the game I was looking for.  I am still in love with Ultima Online circa 2000, after Rennaisance but before Trammel expansion.  

Stopped reading right there. If you're still in love with a sandbox game from thirteen years ago, you should have known that this wasn't the game for you. GW2 was never advertised as a sandbox game. If you're looking for a hardcore sandbox game then check out EVE or The Repopulation when it releases. You also have no room to call others small minded when you bash a game because it doesn't fit YOUR gaming needs. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Kamandi777 Thanks for all the replies to last thread on how how goofy GW2 is, but as usual small minds make big assumptions.  Let me clarify a few things... 1.  I have hated WoW since Lich King 2.  I am not a dueling fanatic 3.  I came into GW2 with high hopes, yes that first week was super fun. 4.  GW2 is not the game I was looking for.  I am still in love with Ultima Online circa 2000, after Rennaisance but before Trammel expansion.  

Stopped reading right there. If you're still in love with a sandbox game from thirteen years ago, you should have known that this wasn't the game for you. GW2 was never advertised as a sandbox game. If you're looking for a hardcore sandbox game then check out EVE or The Repopulation when it releases. You also have no room to call others small minded when you bash a game because it doesn't fit YOUR gaming needs. 

The funny thing about harking back is when I say for example: a reliance on CGI in film has adversely affected plot and characterisation in many mainstream films, or that the 'laughing at the mentally ill' talent TV show phenonemom has reduced the quality of mainstream music, I rarely get an argument.  When I say anything equivelent about mmo's I get shouted down.  

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369
    PvP is massive fail, I am not coming back for sure, requirements to change that are way to big to happen.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

6.  Crafting still blows, say whatever you want--doesn't change the fact that the curve is way too steep

The curve is way too steep?! Were you just kidding here?

GW2 has the same old simple "plug and play" crafting system that 99% of today's mmo's have. I like the crafting resource storage features of GW2, but the crafting system itself is a really lame.

Originally posted by Thorkune

6.  Crafting still blows, say whatever you want--doesn't change the fact that the curve is way too steep

GW2 has the same old simple "plug and play" crafting system that 99% of today's mmo's have. I like the crafting resource storage features of GW2, but the crafting system itself is a really lame.

I haven't played in a while but I would have said that crafting was almost too easy, dam some people got level after level on it fairly easily.  

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Originally posted by Thorkune

GW2 has the same old simple "plug and play" crafting system that 99% of today's mmo's have. I like the crafting resource storage features of GW2, but the crafting system itself is really lame.

I haven't played in a while but I would have said that crafting was almost too easy, dam some people got level after level on it fairly easily.  

Agreed

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Locking this. Please use your original thread. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.