Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting progression

Couple of questions about crafting, specifically about crafting progression.

1) How specialized will crafters be able to get (e.g., "I'm a weaponsmith alright, but a much better knifesmith than a swordsmith")?  If made too specialized, then their niche is irrelevant for many players, and you get crafters progressing to a perceived build or gear spec, which takes some of the fun and spontaneity out of character design (with the "I'm focusing on this one type of weapon because one post on one forum celebrated this type of build" mentality).  On the other hand, specialization gives a really nice sense of character and identity to a crafter.

2) How are new recipes learned?  Trial-and-error discovery?  Loot from harvesting or kills ("you find a recipe in that ore vein")?  Maybe based on the RvR skills of the crafter him- or her-self (those who understand what it's like to wear cloth armor into combat firsthand might be better suited at designing cloth armor)?

3) How interdependent will crafting disciplines be, at all levels?  It can be frustrating trying to excel as a crafter if nobody around you is making the complementary items and if you need them, but this makes the game socially motivating too.

4) Based on what I've heard from MJ's interview, high-level mats will be available only in contested areas (which I love, reminding me of mining in dangerous areas in EVE), meaning that progression will be measured in part by material requirements.  What else, though?  Will crafting progression involve levels, skill points, or anything like that?

Any other questions or speculation about answers?

Comments

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I love crafting so this is really important. I hope crafting is extremely hard to master taking months if not years to master 1 profession. One thing that really irked me in rift was how 1 player could easily max out and get most recipes for all crafts very quickly. 

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156

You can find everything about crafting here:

http://camelot.simply-gaming.com/index.php?action=crafting&navi=crafting

There isn´t really much more Mark has told us yet, except for a few things during the live interview with MMORPG half a day ago. Those will be included next. If I remember correctly (I will watch the video once more and get the quotes right):

1) All items come from crafters, except starter-gear

2) There will be contested harvesting-areas like mines and stuff, but also some basic gatheringspots in the safe areas, especially to give crafters a smooth start

3) Dying will be ingame

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576

There really are very few specific details regarding it. If you click the link opn the front page for the live interview I did a little 1st post compilation of his interview answers. Its truncated but it gives you an idea. Storm covered most of it above.

Craters will be the only way to get gear so I would trust in them, especially after DAOC's model n this regard, that it will be very deep. If everyone could max it out in 2 seconds then it would kind of defeat the point. Couple that with the fact that he said the higher end rare components would come out of the RVR area most likely. It might be something a solo person will be at a disadvantage when trying to do for certain things depending on territory control of your realm.

• FateFatalityFateFatality Member UncommonPosts: 93

Sorry my spelling is bad and grammar anyone is more then welcome to fix my post and spelling issues and grammar

If he is reading this then AWSOME i has few suggestions as a player that likes crafting

1: Custom Item names and visuals/cosmetic could it be possible? like a brand? example is my brand of swords have a disitinctive look and name. giving me a repuation and prestige
    like a Ford and Lamborghini both car's but very different in terms of style and price and engineering.
    To have custom visuals on gear would mean cosmeticaly for us players can tell what armor that guy or girl is wearing and that can could play big part of tactics
    saying i master of blacksmith for armors and i and renown for this brand of armor example i called it my own brand lets say... Devastation as my brand is renown to be some godly armor
    i would like this feature

also if all equiment is done by player crafting how does one contuine to get better items?

there must be a way for players to not just buy best and then forever keep it there must be some sort of cycle so that recuring customers had a specific blacksmith they go to for there gear.
    could be some major issues then if everyone started roaming with best gear just be like WoW were everyone wearing same thing coz its best.  so some insight would be cool on this
    Not sure how you could fix this but yeah must be way around it that players are able to progress with gear and crafters them self .. i'ts big ask but having a wall in a sense in crafting were there is a cap could be a problem.

Possible fix to this remove crafting level cap and contuine to bring in new mats to players to get, that get better and better and harder and harder this would be a huge leap in crafting and only best will be able get such resources. were there is a level but not a cap just forever incresseing were Quality keeps going and going but again don't want over powerd so this is another issue to my suggestion prehaps cosmeticaly they gett better and that armor smither is able have  different stats using different mats that suits that player i'm not sure but yeh maybe have a cap but let us able to change the items stats within balance to suit the armor sets we are makeing and selling idealy i love fact of having templates and then choosen the dye and patten from loads to pick from then pick stats to the armor were there is max of what u can add goven by your crafting level lets say max point system were cap is 100 and that you can add 100 Point system to the armor and that stats that you add must total to 100

Dex+50

Str+50 and mix matching them to suit player needs

i dont know tho this could be only sandbox element that could not suit the game but again a concern of mine is that. Maybe another thing could add is armor repair and weapon repair just like most mmo's there is repair bill but asking this feature would put huge load on the crafter so prob not best idea or that they have walk in to the store and automaticly a funcation that repairs there armor and we get paid with out us doing anything so the work load is not insane specialy if you guild is very large. prehaps once its broken its broken and then he has to go and buy another weapon or armor this would give players a sense of knowing they cannot keep what they have forever a player driven economey/social like mark has said needs some form of cycle of armor and weapons. other wise sooner or later everyone will have best gear and no longer need us crafters.. so yeah there needs be a sense of knowing that il get same customers that need me and that i can offer a service not just one time service and that be it , they come to my shop and look at my goods and and know that they need better or another set of armor... you cant just let them keep it forever it will ruin game and crafters would not be viable this is were mark needs to think hard on, i would like have great service and repeat customers and knowing they need me as well to keep them well equipeted .. sooner or later there be lot of crafters and players will buy best once they have enough and no longer need the crafter service that will be the fail point.

also like to be able to have join partnership like joint buisnnes with other crafters were we can create a store and shop and offer more goods and that we both benifit from it so that crafters can work together and also competion with others stores this will build a new era of crafting and selling

Originally posted by FateFatality

Sorry my spelling is bad and grammar anyone is more then welcome to fix my post and spelling issues and grammar

If he is reading this then AWSOME i has few suggestions as a player that likes crafting

1: Custom Item names and visuals/cosmetic could it be possible? like a brand? example is my brand of swords have a disitinctive look and name. giving me a repuation and prestige
    like a Ford and Lamborghini both car's but very different in terms of style and price and engineering.
    To have custom visuals on gear would mean cosmeticaly for us players can tell what armor that guy or girl is wearing and that can could play big part of tactics
    saying i master of blacksmith for armors and i and renown for this brand of armor example i called it my own brand lets say... Devastation as my brand is renown to be some godly armor

also if all equiment is done by player crafting how does one contuine to get better items?

there must be a way for players to not just buy best and then forever keep it there must be some sort of cycle so that recuring customers had a specific blacksmith they go to for there gear.
    could be some major issues then if everyone started roaming with best gear just be like WoW were everyone wearing same thing coz its best.  so some insight would be cool on this
    Not sure how you could fix this but yeah must be way around it that players are able to progress with gear and crafters them self .. i'ts big ask but having a wall in a sense in crafting were there is a cap could be a problem.

Possible fix to this remove crafting level cap and contuine to bring in new mats to players to get, that get better and better and harder and harder this would be a huge leap in crafting and only best will be able get such resources. were there is a level but not a cap just forever incresseing were Quality keeps going and going but again don't want over powerd so this is another issue to my suggestion prehaps cosmeticaly they gett better and that armor smither is able have  different stats using different mats that suits that player i'm not sure but yeh maybe have a cap but let us able to change the items stats within balance to suit the armor sets we are makeing and selling idealy i love fact of having templates and then choosen the dye and patten from loads to pick from then pick stats to the armor were there is max of what u can add goven by your crafting level lets say max point system were cap is 100 and that you can add 100 Point system to the armor and that stats that you add must total to 100

Dex+50

i dont know tho this could be only sandbox element that could not suit the game but again a concern of mine is that. Maybe another thing could add is armor repair and weapon repair just like most mmo's there is repair bill but asking this feature would put huge load on the crafter so prob not best idea or that they have walk in to the store and automaticly a funcation that repairs there armor and we get paid with out us doing anything so the work load is not insane specialy if you guild is very large. prehaps once its broken its broken and then he has to go and buy another weapon or armor this would give players a sense of knowing they cannot keep what they have forever a player driven economey/social like mark has said needs some form of cycle of armor and weapons. other wise sooner or later everyone will have best gear and no longer need us crafters.. so yeah there needs be a sense of knowing that il get same customers that need me and that i can offer a service not just one time service and that be it , they come to my shop and look at my goods and and know that they need better or another set of armor... you cant just let them keep it forever it will ruin game and crafters would not be viable this is were mark needs to think hard on, i would like have great service and repeat customers and knowing they need me as well to keep them well equipeted .. sooner or later there be lot of crafters and players will buy best once they have enough and no longer need the crafter service that will be the fail point.

also like to be able to have join partnership like joint buisnnes with other crafters were we can create a store and shop and offer more goods and that we both benifit from it so that crafters can work together and also competion with others stores this will build a new era of crafting and selling

When it comes to having recurring customers, I think they will probably add new recipes all the time, but remember not all crafts will really need that. Some crafts would be Siegecrafting, Potionmaking, ItemRecharging, and if buildings can be destroyed by the other faction buildingMaking. 

Actually the more I think about it, I hope that there won't be a best in slot item. For example, every caster wants a particular staff because it is best in slot. I love the way DaoC did it to where there were stat caps and you didn't really focus on meeting the statcaps but rather what procs/reactives you wanted and then build your template around those. This would really help create recurring customers because every so often you sould just create a new item with some interesting proc/reactive on it that people would want forcing them to redo their entire template to fit that item in.

Originally posted by fanglo

Dex+50

When it comes to having recurring customers, I think they will probably add new recipes all the time, but remember not all crafts will really need that. Some crafts would be Siegecrafting, Potionmaking, ItemRecharging, and if buildings can be destroyed by the other faction buildingMaking. 

Actually the more I think about it, I hope that there won't be a best in slot item. For example, every caster wants a particular staff because it is best in slot. I love the way DaoC did it to where there were stat caps and you didn't really focus on meeting the statcaps but rather what procs/reactives you wanted and then build your template around those. This would really help create recurring customers because every so often you sould just create a new item with some interesting proc/reactive on it that people would want forcing them to redo their entire template to fit that item in.

i like that idea it could be a possible fix. also talked about best weapons aka your staff example i like idea being able change it also stats as well as this procs/reactive within balance of course thus why i said a point system were cap is 100 or w.e so that you change that stats to cater to player class and change the proc/reactives as new ones come out , just like guildwars 2 were most gear are balanced to same % but add different attributes to suit the player giving us control of it all as i said within balance at a cap , but cosmeticaly i would love it be very open as well so that i as crafter have distinctive desgn in my armors or weapons

i like that idea it could be a possible fix. also talked about best weapons aka your staff example i like idea being able change it also stats as well as this procs/reactive within balance of course thus why i said a point system were cap is 100 or w.e so that you change that stats to cater to player class and change the proc/reactives as new ones come out , just like guildwars 2 were most gear are balanced to same % but add different attributes to suit the player giving us control of it all as i said within balance at a cap , but cosmeticaly i would love it be very open as well so that i as crafter have distinctive desgn in my armors or weapons

I completely forgot about cosmetics. If you added 2 dye slots to every piece of armor, and a dye/glow slot to weopons and shields that could translate into another craft. Of if you wanted to go even more indepth add some more slots to truly change not just the color but other parts of what the item would look like. That might be a little bit too gamebreakting though because as a player if someone is weilding a tartaro's staff I would like to be able to somewhat recognize it so I can have a rough idea of what procs/reactives they are using.

Originally posted by fanglo

I completely forgot about cosmetics. If you added 2 dye slots to every piece of armor, and a dye/glow slot to weopons and shields that could translate into another craft. Of if you wanted to go even more indepth add some more slots to truly change not just the color but other parts of what the item would look like. That might be a little bit too gamebreakting though because as a player if someone is weilding a tartaro's staff I would like to be able to somewhat recognize it so I can have a rough idea of what procs/reactives they are using.

i see i understand were your coming from cosmetic but druing live interview he did suggest cosmetic in cash shop thus why i'm not sure .. personaly i would like a suprise in PvP and base on tactics and not knowing if we going get wiped or be victory the suprise element is also fun. so i think cosmetic should be large part of the game this means that some turn of events in PvP are different and never know what you and your party is getting them selfs into. i think it would be a fun aspect to the game then were tactics are main focus and not trying figure out if this person has better stuff or build then me, its a gamble and you take a risk.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    I don't care as long as i can get my EBOP :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)