Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you buy GW2 now, after you have played it?

Comments

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I got 3 months of enjoyment out of it so I guess it was worth the box price, went back to try another alt but wasn't enjoying it so I gave up. Not sure i will go back for a third attempt.
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    yup i'd get the collector's edition again :)
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Yes, I had fun for a while.  Can't say I love it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth the price.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Corehaven

I probably wouldnt buy it..

If were going to compare MMO's to single player games,I could easily say games like TES and Fallout type games last you much longer for the price.Ive been playing Fallout 3 alone for about 2 years now.

I used to play EQ,Asheron's Call,Daoc , and a few other MMO's hardcore. I played them for years,not a couple months.

Its based on preference really, my taste of MMO's come from the dawn of the MMO age,not todays standards.

There are exceptions,I think The Secret World is worth the price just by the sheer uniqueness of it.

You mean to say you've played Fallout 3 for 2 years.  Straight?  What in the world have you been doing in it?  There's a lot of content to that game, but not 2 years worth.  Oh, did you mean you played it for a month or two and then went back to it later and played some more off and on for 2 years?  Yea I could see that. 

Fallt 3 does not have 2 years of content in it.  Not even close.  I did absolutely everything there was to do in that game in a month easy, ignoring the story stuff just so I could explore the entirity of it. 

Now if you've been playing on and off for 2 years I get that.  Of course.....you could do that with GW2 as well.  So your point is entirely missed by me.

Does anyone play a game every single day for years when they say they play a game for years? probably not

Its more likely they go back to it.I'll play Fallout 3 for a couple months,take a break and go back for a couple more.Ive also been fooling around with a lot of mods,which logs me more game time

so yes,Ive been going back to Fallout 3 for about 2 years. Im actively playing it now.

As for GW2,I havent played it for months and have no urge to return.

I think the point he was trying to make is that years is a rather meaningless unit when trying to describe time spent playing a game.  I mean I could say I've been playing Final Fantasy 7 for 15 years!  I still almost always fire it up and play through it once annually, after all. 

The real issue is bang for your buck.  How much entertainment you get (however you wish to quantify or qualify it--we are apparently attempting to quantify using units of time) per dollar spent.  A game may give you 100 hours of extremely fun entertainment, but what if it cost $500?  Would it be worth it?  Most people would probably answer no.  What about 500 hours of gameplay for $100?  100 hours for $60?  There are other factors that may influence your full evaluation (qualification), but you can see the point I and the other poster are trying to make. 

If you're using time to quantify your entertainment gained, it will never yield a perfect evaluation; but hours played are undoubtedly better than years. 

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by Corehaven

I probably wouldnt buy it..

If were going to compare MMO's to single player games,I could easily say games like TES and Fallout type games last you much longer for the price.Ive been playing Fallout 3 alone for about 2 years now.

I used to play EQ,Asheron's Call,Daoc , and a few other MMO's hardcore. I played them for years,not a couple months.

Its based on preference really, my taste of MMO's come from the dawn of the MMO age,not todays standards.

There are exceptions,I think The Secret World is worth the price just by the sheer uniqueness of it.

You mean to say you've played Fallout 3 for 2 years.  Straight?  What in the world have you been doing in it?  There's a lot of content to that game, but not 2 years worth.  Oh, did you mean you played it for a month or two and then went back to it later and played some more off and on for 2 years?  Yea I could see that. 

Fallt 3 does not have 2 years of content in it.  Not even close.  I did absolutely everything there was to do in that game in a month easy, ignoring the story stuff just so I could explore the entirity of it. 

Now if you've been playing on and off for 2 years I get that.  Of course.....you could do that with GW2 as well.  So your point is entirely missed by me.

Does anyone play a game every single day for years when they say they play a game for years? probably not

Its more likely they go back to it.I'll play Fallout 3 for a couple months,take a break and go back for a couple more.Ive also been fooling around with a lot of mods,which logs me more game time

so yes,Ive been going back to Fallout 3 for about 2 years. Im actively playing it now.

As for GW2,I havent played it for months and have no urge to return.

I think the point he was trying to make is that years is a rather meaningless unit when trying to describe time spent playing a game.  I mean I could say I've been playing Final Fantasy 7 for 15 years!  I still almost always fire it up and play through it once annually, after all. 

The real issue is bang for your buck.  How much entertainment you get (however you wish to quantify or qualify it--we are apparently attempting to quantify using units of time) per dollar spent.  A game may give you 100 hours of extremely fun entertainment, but what if it cost $500?  Would it be worth it?  Most people would probably answer no.  What about 500 hours of gameplay for $100?  100 hours for $60?  There are other factors that may influence your full evaluation (qualification), but you can see the point I and the other poster are trying to make. 

If you're using time to quantify your entertainment gained, it will never yield a perfect evaluation; but hours played are undoubtedly better than years. 

I've has single player games that I have completed in a few hours; they were still worth my money, those few hours were fun.  

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i probably wouldn't have bought it just because i never did get into the game, it was pretty boring for me for some reason.

but i still have it on my HD so who knows? maybe some day i will give it another shot.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

It wasn't my cup of tea but it is for others. Nowadays, there's something out there for almost everyone. 

I voted "Probably not."

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86
    I definitely feel I got my money's worth out of the game. Played roughly 200 hours before I stopped, and I thoroughly enjoyed it at first. In the end I decided the game wasn't for me and went on my way with a clean break, the only game I would have been upset about buying to date is diablo 3, but I made more than my purchase price back off the RMAH before I quit.

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• jenseajensea Member UncommonPosts: 47

I'd buy it, but not the Collector's Edition ... I do regret that. I voted Yes, but cheaper.

I'd approach it like a filler game, rather than my main MMO. It's a great casual game, just doesn't have the depth I'd like. If I'd gone in with that attitude, I think I'd have been happier with it. 

And I wish they'd get over their fixation with jumping.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369
    I hoped for good PvP, but it's trash so no I wouldn't.
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

The question is pretty stupid in my opinion... buy something after already owning it?

Next super question from the OP: would you buy a crossword puzzle book after you've finished it?

Most people are unable to "reset themself". Hell, most are even unable to be unbiased. When you buy a game, all the content is new for you, you have everything to discover. To answer this question, one would have to "reset" himself to that state, which is impossible, one knows what he knows, so many will answer that they wouldn't buy it again even if they got thousands of hours of entertainment from it, because they somehow "finished" the actual content.

Paying for something you've finished is not in our western civilisation's mindset. Hell, many go out of their way to pirate movies they love instead of purchasing them legitimately, and now you ask if one would buy a game he already played for hundred of hours? Do you realize how... pointless that question is?

My forum avatar is more appropriate than ever for this thread.

Funny, instead of ignoring a thread you find "stupid", you can't help but comment on it.

Oh, and welcome back Korrigan.

Every review I have read is on the basis of someone having tried something and liking or disliking it or a mixture of both.  Of course people are entitled to have opinions on these things.  If I bought a bad crossword book I would happily advise people it wasn't worth buying.  

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    so you dont think paying 50 bucks once is worth 3 months of unlimited playtime for a personal hobby. thats really, really funny. have fun dealing with real world expenses when you get older, kid.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Originally posted by gessekai332
    so you dont think paying 50 bucks once is worth 3 months of unlimited playtime for a personal hobby. thats really, really funny. have fun dealing with real world expenses when you get older, kid.

Who are you talking to? 

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

Every review I have read is on the basis of someone having tried something and liking or disliking it or a mixture of both.  Of course people are entitled to have opinions on these things.  If I bought a bad crossword book I would happily advise people it wasn't worth buying.  

We don't talk about a review here. Who would buy even the best crossword book ever if he already had finished all the puzzles? This is exactly what the poll is asking for...

Would you buy Assassin's Creed after finishing the game?

The question makes no sense at all, and the results are quite predictable because of that. Even people who got hundreds of hours out of the game for $50 are going to answer negatively simply because they played the crap out of the game, without considering that they've only played $50 for hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Well most polls are loaded or utterly meaningless where you are allowed to vote with the benefit of hindsight.  Genuinely fair poll, make it so.  

• DarthIxidorDarthIxidor Member Posts: 16

If I know now, what I knew then, I would have bought it sooner.

Let's break this down a bit. You pay $60 for almost any game upon release these days, and let's say you buy a game like Halo 4 or (insert FPS). You get some friends to buy it and go pwn people for awhile everyday, weekend, whatever. Eventually you get learn all the maps, know where all the weapons are, find that sweet spot in the hit box to 2 shot someone. In an MMO it's about the same deal. Get some friends, go out and pwn stuff. If your into PvP you got it, crafting: it's there, exploration: open, puzzles: work it. There is a lot of things in the game that I didn't realize.

Quick story: Anyone ever stumble upon the pirate thing in Lions Arch? That was freaking awesome. I was just mapping out Lions Arch and came across it while looking for a point of something. Fell into the cave and there I was, playing freaking Goonies GW2 style.

In my humble opinion every game deserves a shot. People take time (getting paid) to code them, most of them will lose their jobs after the game is launched, cause well that's the industry. You should take time to appreciate someones work, their artistic design, logical process, beauty and again in my humble opinion you can find a lot worse P2P games that no where near as beautiful or well thought out.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by DarthIxidor

If I know now, what I knew then, I would have bought it sooner.

Let's break this down a bit. You pay $60 for almost any game upon release these days, and let's say you buy a game like Halo 4 or (insert FPS). You get some friends to buy it and go pwn people for awhile everyday, weekend, whatever. Eventually you get learn all the maps, know where all the weapons are, find that sweet spot in the hit box to 2 shot someone. In an MMO it's about the same deal. Get some friends, go out and pwn stuff. If your into PvP you got it, crafting: it's there, exploration: open, puzzles: work it. There is a lot of things in the game that I didn't realize.

Quick story: Anyone ever stumble upon the pirate thing in Lions Arch? That was freaking awesome. I was just mapping out Lions Arch and came across it while looking for a point of something. Fell into the cave and there I was, playing freaking Goonies GW2 style.

In my humble opinion every game deserves a shot. People take time (getting paid) to code them, most of them will lose their jobs after the game is launched, cause well that's the industry. You should take time to appreciate someones work, their artistic design, logical process, beauty and again in my humble opinion you can find a lot worse P2P games that no where near as beautiful or well thought out.

I agree 100%

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I would still buy it. It's far from perfect but a perfect casual MMO to give me a fix until some brace company makes a quality sandbox.

No such thing will come out. The reason being is the the Sandbox gamers are a small group, not a large group where you can actually get new gamers to play. That is the growth market.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Why have the only no option as No way, it's such a fail

i vote no but the game is not a fail its just not what i expected and to easy for my tastes and the pvp is not competive enough to make it feel worth my time.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67
    Yep. It's a good game. I'm no longer playing it, but I got months of enjoyment out of it. It was completely worth buying IMO. I still think enough of it to hang around and see what changes they are making to the game. I'm sure I will return at some point.
  • leaf16nutleaf16nut Member UncommonPosts: 39

I bought GW2, played the beta and haven't touched it since... Not sure why I even bought it to begin with, knowing it was just another themepark carebear fest, guess it was the hype.

Would I buy GW2 after I have played it? No, not a chance in hell, I shouldn't have bought it before I played it!

• DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36

I got 240 hours in it . Now I don't log to often but I can log (since its a subscription free game) and check things out if I want to . ALso from time to time I do log andplay with friends either a fractal or some pvp. So all and all .

Yes I would buy the game since it gave a very good value for my money  

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by Onigod
    Why have the only no option as No way, it's such a fail i vote no but the game is not a fail its just not what i expected and to easy for my tastes and the pvp is not competive enough to make it feel worth my time.

aw sorry I mean you could choose "probably NO" or "other" as for me definitive NO = fail, but I can be wrong too.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    No...  I have yet to stay longer then 2 months in any MMO since I left Wow. I have been without a MMO since the first month of GW2 and have no plans on playing any until they come out with features I'm looking for. The repopulation is on my watch list. We shall see down the road if it can pull me in and keep me. 
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

Guys I don't want to troll or tell GW2 is bad game and not worth to be played.

Only IMHO, this game last like 3 months, then became "old" or "boring" so not exciting or fun for many of us.

TBH if I knew I would not buy it from the start but may be wait till it get's polished and cheaper to try it (like after may be 1 year).

I think I was hyped about GW and not really GW2 (if I could come back in time and play fresh, not dead, GW again, I would).

That why I wonder what do you think about?

Please try to be tolerant and not feel personally offended my my poll, I'm just curious and not getting on fragile nerves of overexcited fans.

Considering most games of this quality prior had subs Im not sure what you are saving with 60 dollars.  You cant beat that value for what you get.

If you played for 3 months you made your money back.  Then remember it IS an MMORPG so it will have updates/changes/expansions giving you reason to come back in maybe a year.  And guess how much that would cost you?  Nothing.

For the quality I got for what I paid it was worth it... and I only log in a few times a month.  

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

thanks to all for sharing opinions.=)
    as I told "like" "dislike" etc is just own choice of everyone.

Very please avoid to call my question "silly" if you don't want to get into or give answer (funny, it was not a case).

Question I keep asking myself is: do I have fun and pleasure worth to spend 60$ and my time?
    I'm still not convinced, I believe I got hyped and bought game too fast (better for me would be wait till more content, polish etc etc) or just get it for cheap/free and be sure you got what you payed for...

GW2 is not my biggest disappointment, however, Aion was.

Asking you all not because I want to troll game someone loves, but to understand if I'm alone to have doubt about and be sure it's NOT what I was hyped about.

GW1 worth every single $ I spent for boxes and shop, as I got great FUN, nice time and felt home for years there. GW2 is sure more like console single player comparable, so I understand people who said about console games vs GW2.

Again, I think any game is question of taste and don't want argue with anyone who like or dislike any game.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2