Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Average Age of Todays Gamer.. Games are for Adults

Going off another thread which got edited and removed someone commented saying games were for kids only which i thought was a very odd statement.. i always knew the average gamer was over 18 and you can see here that is very true

http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp

this study shows Sixty-eight percent of gamers are 18 years of age or older.

Gaming has been a hobby of mine since I was 5 years old and got my first atari and don't see an end to this hobby anytime in the near future...  

I'm really curious if others out there really believe gaming is generally a 18 and under thing

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Wait you mean to tell me there are people UNDER the age of 18 playing video games these days?! =P
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by KyutaSyuko
    Wait you mean to tell me there are people UNDER the age of 18 playing video games these days?! =P

Don't worry they only play WoW.  Or at least that's what  many of the posters around here would have you believe.  Or consoles.  WoW and consoles, yup that's the ticket.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Don't worry they only plawy WoW.  Or at least that's what  many of the posters around here would have you believe.  Or consoles.  WoW and consoles, yup that's the ticket.

Seems a lot are playing TERA now if global chat is any indication...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Don't worry they only plawy WoW.  Or at least that's what  many of the posters around here would have you believe.  Or consoles.  WoW and consoles, yup that's the ticket.

lol yea i noticed that.. although i dunno i have seen many full grown adults talk like that also so you really can never tell

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Problem with this study is it encompasses all forms of gaming...

I glanced over the PDF and the PDF shows only 11% of all online gamers play MMO's (relavant to this site).

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2012.pdf

Out of that 11%, what is the breakdown.

47% of all gamers are playing board games etc. which could be computer chess or card games.

It also brings in smartphones which in todays day and age makes just about anyone a gamer...

My GF hates games and yet she will play that damn bejeweled game for hours then get on my ass when I play an MMO.

The study is far to generalized and can't really be applied to MMORPG's other than to say 11% of all people under the study play them.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    To be honest I saw the most underaged community in F2P or B2P mmorpgs OR in MOBAs like League of Legend or Dota2. I quit playing World of Warcraft after some month enjoying Burning Crusade.
    Originally posted by Wighty

Problem with this study is it encompasses all forms of gaming...

I glanced over the PDF and the PDF shows only 11% of all online gamers play MMO's (relavant to this site).

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2012.pdf

Out of that 11%, what is the breakdown.

47% of all gamers are playing board games etc. which could be computer chess or card games.

It also brings in smartphones which in todays day and age makes just about anyone a gamer...

My GF hates games and yet she will play that damn bejeweled game for hours then get on my ass when I play an MMO.

The study is far to generalized and can't really be applied to MMORPG's other than to say 11% of all people under the study play them.

my guess in MMOs the % would be about the same or even higher for those that are over 18.. but every study i have ever seen has shown the average gamer well over 18 years old

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by aylwynn
    To be honest I saw the most underaged community in F2P or B2P mmorpgs OR in MOBAs like League of Legend or Dota2. I quit playing World of Warcraft after some month enjoying Burning Crusade.

Do you mean immature, or truly underaged?  How would we even know the age unless we personally know the people playing the game?

Do you mean immature, or truly underaged?  How would we even know the age unless we personally know the people playing the game?

even on teamspeak its pretty hard to tell if someone is 16 or 20

• DunworthDunworth Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Let's see I have been playing computer games since the Timex Sinclair came out... I'm way past 18
    Originally posted by Dunworth
    Let's see I have been playing computer games since the Timex Sinclair came out... I'm way past 18

around same time i started messing with computers although i was really young then.. families first PC was the Tandy Color Computer 2

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

The years alone don't make one an adult.   I still feel a few experience points shy of that level.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by maplestone

The years alone don't make one an adult.   I still feel a few experience points shy of that level.

I've been stuck on a hell level for years....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

even on teamspeak its pretty hard to tell if someone is 16 or 20

Back when my son was first playing WOW when he was 12 our guild thought he was my daughter because his voice was so high.

Fortunately no longer has that issue, (he's 20 now) but it was good for some laughs back in the day.

I was old when gaming started, and have been getting older ever since.  Didn't even start MMO's until was almost 45 years old, so from where I sit MMO's have always been full of younger folks. (all relative)

There certainly are more younger players in MMO's today than when I started with Lineage 1 or DAOC, but I wouldn't say its the province of the young really.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

It does not matter what the actual age profile of gamers is. What matters is what the venture captilists and coorperation executives think the "core market"  is.

When SOE sold its European publishing rights to ProSiebenSat they reassured everyone that they knew the market, and would hire competent staff to act as GM's and Forum Moderators.  They also said that the best GM's were a few years older than the player base.  So who did they hire?  Sixteen year olds.  Thats right for ProSiebenSat the "core market" for MMO's is 10-14 years old and predominately male. 

They are not alone in this perception, not by a long shot.  The intent of most, if not all, of the people who fund the development of MMO's is to capture a big chunk of the "core market" of 10-14 year old males.  The rest of us are just gravy on the plate. That is not to say that developers believe this, but the people who pay their salaries do.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by craftseeker

It does not matter what the actual age profile of gamers is. What matters is what the venture captilists and coorperation executives think the "core market"  is.

When SOE sold its European publishing rights to ProSiebenSat they reassured everyone that they knew the market, and would hire competent staff to act as GM's and Forum Moderators.  They also said that the best GM's were a few years older than the player base.  So who did they hire?  Sixteen year olds.  Thats right for ProSiebenSat the "core market" for MMO's is 10-14 years old and predominately male. 

They are not alone in this perception, not by a long shot.  The intent of most, if not all, of the people who fund the development of MMO's is to capture a big chunk of the "core market" of 10-14 year old males.  The rest of us are just gravy on the plate. That is not to say that developers believe this, but the people who pay their salaries do.

You'll have to show some evidence for that.

16 years old is old enough for a job definately but typically not with a gaming company even as a csr. Definately not full-time.

I can't see them hiring 16 year olds as forum moderators either.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Going off another thread which got edited and removed someone commented saying games were for kids only which i thought was a very odd statement.. i always knew the average gamer was over 18 and you can see here that is very true

Gaming has been a hobby of mine since I was 5 years old and got my first atari and don't see an end to this hobby anytime in the near future...  

I'm really curious if others out there really believe gaming is generally a 18 and under thing

Let's see now. Someone studied the population of gamers and found that approximately 68% of all people who play games are 18 or older. Doesn't that also approximate how many people who are 18 or older in the world's entire population?

And this is news?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

Well, as of ten years ago, they divided the group of  "gamers" into "players" and "buyers".

The average age of "players" was 29.

The average age of "buyers" was 36.

USA Today: Entertainment Software Assoication Survey 2004

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

Ha! If you live in Chicago the kids are running the hoods..But the gaming company is going to find out it is the Old timers who are their bread and butter..image

I retired retroactively..Haha

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Guessing this is an American study? The results would be a lot different in let's say Portugal or Netherlands though my hold similar results in UK.

Ps i'm 18!

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    average gamer has always been an in adult. how is this only "todays gamer"
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

It's the graphics. More specifically, the gear and anatomy of the female characters.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Grunty

Let's see now. Someone studied the population of gamers and found that approximately 68% of all people who play games are 18 or older. Doesn't that also approximate how many people who are 18 or older in the world's entire population?

And this is news?

It's not news to anyone who has been gaming for a while. It might be news to a lot of grannies and other people who have never gamed in their lives because "it's for kids".

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I come from a family of gamers.  We all game.  I would image that is true of almost everyone else who games.  So I would assume the gaming world, any part of it, is a reflection of real life.  There will always be more young people than old; it is in the dynamic multiplication of two people create one or more people.  Thus there will always be more youth for everything, including gaming.  That is why it is up to any of us, old or young, who have acquired wisdom to try and impart it to those who have not.  Kindness is the first rule.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Er.... what "games"...?

Shoots & Ladders, Monopoly and solitaire are all games with a large dichotomy in the ages that play each. So some focus is in order to discuss the topic within an mmorpg forum.

Given that, most people who play (ie pay) for mmorpg's are adults, mostly in their 30s.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon