Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you buy GW2 now, after you have played it?

Comments

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

If I knew what the game is really about, I probably wouldn't have bothered. It would depend on what competition is on the market. If I recall well, when GW2 came out there wasn't much of anything going on in the market, so it could have been a filler until something decent came out.

I would definitely not have paid full box price for it, though.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Cothor

There is no point to Guild Wars 2 once you hit 80. There is nothing to strive for, nothing that matters, no way to truly progress.

This game needs

-Housing

-All gear is player made and useable in all forms of pvp

-PvP needs to have way more rewards and much more meaning

This is such a beautiful game, so polished, it just has no point. I have no idea how people continue to play 2 weeks after they hit 80. I tried to log back in but there is just no point, there is nothing to do that matters.

Exactly this... I did WvW and Spvp to death, I ran all the 80 dungeons all paths at least once then I said... what now? Been many months since I have logged in.

Finally, I don't feel alone. Exploring is boring because you always got the same content with some different landscapes. Treasures you may find are boring/useless too and would be considered as farming-hotspots anyway.

I haven't been feeling at all to complete 100% of the map because its one more grindy aspect somehow (like doing those 'innovative' heart-events).

Anyway I've been spending much more time in older mmorpgs because they were challanging. Although they were P2P ... But I still feel that I invested better playing 4 years daoc in a row with small reallife hiatus instead of 60 bucks for one more "login, play 30 mins, logout" game. Well ... At least thats what I've seen in those 3-4 months.

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Probably the only one game that actually worth money for now.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

There are things I miss from old MMORPGs like UO, EQ and AC1, but it's definitely not the tedious gameplay aspects they had. I'm glad modern games got rid of that and focus on fun rather than turning the player into a mindless assembly line drone.

Some people refer to that as "longevity".  lol

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    After reading through most of the replies, i can't help but wonder if its not the game world or the combat mechanics, but how people associated with each other, while there is grouping in the game, it seems to be kind of anonymous grouping, i think for a game to really have a more 'vibrant' community, that needs to change a bit, SWG itself wasnt that awesome a game, but the community spirit the game engendered did make the game a lot more fun than it might otherwise have been, another example is planetside 2, the game is deeply flawed, not to mention buggy, but if you play it as a solo player, the experience you get from it, is vastly inferior to that if you are in an outfit, just being in a 'random' squad is not really a good replacement either, but in an outfit the game becomes more 'alive' so to speak, and certainly a lot more fun.  i've seen a few games that really benefitted from a strong community spirit, which for MMO's you would think is a bit obvious, its just that social tools in games, just seem to be a bit lacking sometimes, or perhaps not that well fleshed out. If GW2 had stronger, or perhaps better would be more accurate, social tools for guilds etc, do you think it would change your viewpoint of the game in a more positive fashion?image
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I think it would be better as a f2p .I think the initial price was too much on hindsight. But it is a good game and I do like it just  think that it was a bit too expensive initially.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157

You keep repeating DAoC (pre-TOA) was hard... well I was there too. There was nothing hard for me, as a veteran UO and AC1 player. Leveling was utterly boring and tedious, and PvP was all about abusing overpowered crowd control abilities and capturing keeps during the night when nobody was there to defend. A very poor game with one single activity at max level, which would never have any success with today's competition, and only had mild success back then because of the lack of such competition. I left just after TOA because the expansion didn't fix the game, it only made it worse and even more boring. I went back to AC1, which was a far superior game with a much broader range of possible activities and story content patched in every month.

It's also amusing you say GW2's exploration is boring because it's the same things with different landscapes, when you've spend over 4 years in DAoC doing exactly the same things in exactly the same landscapes.

There are things I miss from old MMORPGs like UO, EQ and AC1, but it's definitely not the tedious gameplay aspects they had. I'm glad modern games got rid of that and focus on fun rather than turning the player into a mindless assembly line drone.

+1

Too much nostalgia and not enough facts make most ppl oblivious to good games.

Gw2 isn't the best game, but it is the best game that we have at the moment.

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If you cant live with bugs you should wait a year before buying any MMO.

Yeah, GW2 did have some really annoying ones and still have a few annoying aspects but it still was one of the most polished launches I seen. And yeah, that is kinda sad but the only 2 better are GW and LOTRO (which neither had anywhere near GW2s content at launch).

But while bugs annoy me I can live with them for a while so I dont regret anything.

Then some people expect something different then they got, and I understand them (even though I think a bit better check up would have turned off 90% of them before launch anyways.

As for the people who played it for 3 months and tired because they made most content there will be expansions, and $60 was still a sweet deal for that compared to most games. I rarely play a single player game longer than 3 weeks myself before tireing off them and never play again.

I played GW on and off for 5 years, think I will do the same with GW2. I might take 6 months off a a time or 2 and take breaks over the summer though as I did with the first game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

yes i would buy it. And will buy every expansion they put out. With GW2 i have all the fun i couldnt have in GW1 since i couldnt stand the instanced town lobby system.

I would even buy and expansion that takes us back in time to the GW1 timeline to follow some story lines then come back to the present and keep going.

You keep repeating DAoC (pre-TOA) was hard... well I was there too. There was nothing hard for me, as a veteran UO and AC1 player. Leveling was utterly boring and tedious, and PvP was all about abusing overpowered crowd control abilities and capturing keeps during the night when nobody was there to defend. A very poor game with one single activity at max level, which would never have any success with today's competition, and only had mild success back then because of the lack of such competition. I left just after TOA because the expansion didn't fix the game, it only made it worse and even more boring. I went back to AC1, which was a far superior game with a much broader range of possible activities and story content patched in every month.

It's also amusing you say GW2's exploration is boring because it's the same things with different landscapes, when you've spend over 4 years in DAoC doing exactly the same things in exactly the same landscapes.

You really just did keepraids in Dark Age of Camelot? Well ... That explains a lot of your reaction. GuildWars 2's WvW is also just about zerging and caping keeps in circles. Especially at night your guildkeep is gone due to nightcapping because nobody is there. Control abilities in DAoC were challanging and garuanteed real tactics and strategy. You really want to say that GW2's buttonmashing in zergs is really cool and fun?

Well ... I'm not here for such discussions. I guess it moves further offtopic.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I think it would be better as a f2p .I think the initial price was too much on hindsight. But it is a good game and I do like it just  think that it was a bit too expensive initially.

To get in the money to make it, run it and to get NC soft some money on their investment they would then have to sell a lot more stuff and chanses are that it would really have become pay2win then so I dont think so.

Dragon age 1 & 2 are the same price here, I played the first 2 1/2 weeks and the second 1 week... Then again if it would have been free with current itemshop that would have been great but I fear that just isnt realistic.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Dead Space 3 lasted me three days, so I'd say yes it's worth the box price. Not perfect by any means but if you got 3 months out of it that's pretty good. I'm still playing and when I do get on I'm on for a while, so well worth it in my opnion.

I got it cheaper then most before launch so I voted other ;)

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by aylwynn

Control abilities in DAoC were challanging and garuanteed real tactics and strategy.

This is a true gem. Tactics and strategy because of the OP CC abilities? You got to be kidding me here right? You can't sell me that kind of stuff, since I was there too playing, and I know how it was. But yeah, being in the group with the less lag able to press that "mez" button first is superior tactics indeed...

You really want to say that GW2's buttonmashing in zergs is really cool and fun?

If you are only buttonmashing in a zerg in GW2, then it's not the game's fault... it's YOU who put yourself in that situation. Find a good WvW guild, go with smaller guild groups and not with the zerg, do your own stuff. And stop facerolling your keyboard, but use your skills when it's appropriate to... you'll see, you may even start to have fun playing!

It is the games fault because its cooldown-based instead of resource-based. I've been playing a control/conditiondamage mesmer, a greatsword/bow, hammer/bow and a double-axe/shield-sword warrior and a scepter/dagger elementalist. I've tried many builds. But there is no real difference since you're just disabling + burst-damaging by clicking all your skills to kill your enemy. Thats the only way you have to go. Even as a thief or ranger you just focus to disable/root the enemy and burst-damage.

Its even getting a way more funnier in zergs because there are just two ways:

1. Spamming AoE skills

2. Target picking + disabling + burst-damaging + try to escape really fast!

In fact its not really different from League of Legends or Dota2.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

1. Spamming AoE skills

ive done this in every single mmo i have played. Even in Tera and Raiderz with their action combat. And ive also taken a but more tactical approaches. Its all about how you like to approach the fight unless the game is heavily focus on "flavor of the month" rotations, which i think sux. If you focus on mindlessly doing those 2 things you mentioned then oh well.... good luck

Originally posted by rojo6934

1. Spamming AoE skills

ive done this in every single mmo i have played. Even in Tera and Raiderz with their action combat. And ive also taken a but more tactical approaches. Its all about how you like to approach the fight unless the game is heavily focus on "flavor of the month" rotations, which i think sux. If you focus on mindlessly doing those 2 things you mentioned then oh well.... good luck

Well, thats the way how Far Shiverpeaks rolled while being #1 and even in EU's fourth to second curront brackets its exactly this way. Don't forget that the warrior even has one skill where he avoids damage for 5 seconds ... Which is just ... Lol. You even avoid damage of 40 players while dodging ... This is just not consequent. While being a warrior or an elementalist you even have a second chance pretty easy! Dying is no problem (though there is just a really, really minum of death penalty) because you will live again when one of those 40 enemies die ... It doesn't even matter if you were targeting him or not. You can even save yourself by using the second skill while being in the downed-state.

Like i've told you ... I've been also trying complex builds from the beginning like control or conditiondamage. But combining damage and disabling skills will stay the way to go since you can avoid damage pretty easy while having a damage-build.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I played WoW for a few years, up to the release of Cataclysm. I played Eve Online for about a bit over a year. I tried STO a bit, TF2, Tribes Ascent, ... dang, forgetting others... ah, Star Fleet Command quite some time back. To be honest, I found enjoyment in each and every one of those, some more than others. But GW2 is by far the single best game I've played in a gaming life that remembers when Pong was new and fresh. I'd buy the CE again in a heartbeat.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

Only IMHO, this game last like 3 months, then became "old" or "boring" so not exciting or fun for many of us. 

If a game is fun for three months and then gets boring, that's pretty good, don't you think?  A lot of games won't make it to three hours before they get boring.

if GW2 was a single player game then 3 month would be great, but I doubt that is what Anet was aiming for.

well that's why they're adding new contents every month. New story, new pvp maps, new world events...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

There is no point to Guild Wars 2 once you hit 80. There is nothing to strive for, nothing that matters, no way to truly progress.

This game needs

-Housing

This is such a beautiful game, so polished, it just has no point. I have no idea how people continue to play 2 weeks after they hit 80. I tried to log back in but there is just no point, there is nothing to do that matters.

It also needs a stable economy. It's sad when you have to spend $50 just to get your level 80 geared in exotics. If you started the game in December that is.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

Only IMHO, this game last like 3 months, then became "old" or "boring" so not exciting or fun for many of us. 

If a game is fun for three months and then gets boring, that's pretty good, don't you think?  A lot of games won't make it to three hours before they get boring.

if GW2 was a single player game then 3 month would be great, but I doubt that is what Anet was aiming for.

well that's why they're adding new contents every month. New story, new pvp maps, new world events...

I would agree, but the existing content got tedious quickly, so not too fussed by new content.  I think three months is generous but I got six weeks out of it.    

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by itgrowls

This game needs

-Housing

It also needs a stable economy. It's sad when you have to spend $50 just to get your level 80 geared in exotics. If you started the game in December that is.

I agree. It is sad if you spend $50 to be geared in exotics. However, most of us who actually play the game know that isn't necassary.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Not the best game. But money well spent.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

This game needs

-Housing

You spent money to gear a character in exotics? Dang, I've geared 5 and not spent a dime on doing so.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Volkon

This game needs

-Housing

You spent money to gear a character in exotics? Dang, I've geared 5 and not spent a dime on doing so.

Many people think the same thing, but they want the material fast, so IT WAS THEIR CHOICE - the game does not force you to spend any money in the CS and that is the key.

1. Housing - another waste of time - grinding out crap for what? OH - see my house is much better than your? Sorry no.

2. PvP has meaning for what and where? A.Net said they are working on it. They do not want to make the mistakes that happened in GW1 and other games such as WoW and Rift in PvP. I will let them figure out how they will do it and judge then. People saying blanket statements without any explanation as to what they mean is useless.

There are always things to do in GW2 - I have 2 level 80's - both only have 48% of the world explored - that is what I am doing now (with the map off - so it is a surprise). 

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

No I would not.

I found GW2 too shallow, too soloable, the dungeons too zerg oriented. To each their own, but I let myself be talked into buying it and don't feel I came even close to getting my money's worth out of it.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

No I would not.

Lack of progression, lack of content, poor PvP and poor PvP performance, dead servers 2 months after release, no real end game goals, the list goes on for me. More power to those who enjoy it, but it's way too shallow of a game for me personally. I need some meat and potatoes not bean curd.

I can see why it appeals, but I'm a make the numbers go higher type player and this game just doesn't do that for me.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.