Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW survivor after 3 wks in GW2

Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223

Can't express how excited I was when I started this game and how after 3 wks. I am completely done.

Done.

Crafting? Meaningless and silly.

PvP?  Structured is OK, WvW is beyond ridiculous.

PVE? Have no idea after 3 weeks how to get into a dungeon...seriously.  Guildies seem to be doing them but when I asked about joining...nothing.

Goofy, meaningless, no goals, no friends, no fun.  A big perk is supposed to be "finishing a map"  I finished like 10 maps and NEVER once got any reward that I could use except xps and very little money.  

You can't even duel anyone.  

Oh and I dare you to roll a Thief and do the "My Story" chapter "Down the Hatch"--mindlessly absurd.  Beyond description how bad it was.  I thought it was bugged but no--it was designed to take like 3 hours.  Rewards? Some xps, a few coins and gear--once again--I didn't need.

#EPICFAIL

Comments

• JerkbagJerkbag Member UncommonPosts: 26

Not the games fault you have no friends 

most rewards were very dumb i agree

where i think it failed was absolutely no end game unless you try for those legendary weapons but seriously the time that you would spend on gathering all the required materials is stupid

100% of th people i joined with quit 3 weeks after hittin max level

was a fun game though just got hell boring

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

which shows that a good guild is bebeficial while playing mmos ^^

[mod edit]

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

As far as dungeons go:

--The LFG: www.gw2lfg.com

--Dungeon Basics: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon

There are two modes: Story and explorable

* Story mode unlocks explorable mode. Only one person in the group has to have story mode done in order for the group to tackle explorable mode.

* Explorable mode rewards the group with Dungeon Tokens. These can be exchanged in Lion's Arch for exotic weapons, armor, and other goodies.

To start a dungeon, just be on the map that the dungeon is in and enter. See the wiki article I posted for more specifics. You can also group with people from other servers.

The most popular dungeons at the moment are Ascalonian Catacombs, Citadel of Flame, and Arah. You can still find parties for the rest fairly easily utilizing www.gw2lfg.com.

--------------------

As far as dueling goes, can't you make a 1v1 group in sPvP? However, I do agree that it would be neat to either challenge people OR have a specific PvE location for duels.

As far as having no friends, try joining a different guild. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

I do hope that you come back soon.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kamandi777

Can't express how excited I was when I started this game and how after 3 wks. I am completely done.

Done.

PVE? Have no idea after 3 weeks how to get into a dungeon...seriously.  Guildies seem to be doing them but when I asked about joining...nothing.

Goofy, meaningless, no goals, no friends, no fun.  A big perk is supposed to be "finishing a map"  I finished like 10 maps and NEVER once got any reward that I could use except xps and very little money.  

Oh and I dare you to roll a Thief and do the "My Story" chapter "Down the Hatch"--mindlessly absurd.  Beyond description how bad it was.  I thought it was bugged but no--it was designed to take like 3 hours.  Rewards? Some xps, a few coins and gear--once again--I didn't need.

#EPICFAIL

You never done a single dungeon and yet think you are done?

Yeah, epic fail is the right words here.... 

Oh, and I did down the hatch in less than 15 minutes 2 days after launch, I in fact did all personal story stuff including the really hard ones in Orr and still didnt any one of them even take half an hour. How many times did you die?

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

While I find the game fun for casual play.  I am with you about the lack of social play within the game. Now people will come yelling at you on these forums calling you a hater for saying it but it is the truth. This does not mean its completely impossible to get a group going for a dungeon or other activities but it is definately harder to. Prepare for people to say your just not in the right guild. Well I have been in 3. All 3 of them have promoted their guilds as being friendly and active in all aspects of  play. However the truth is they only talk during WvW and only in voice to the people involved. PVE..

GW2 suffers from the fact that 95% of the game was made to be soloable. Compounding this is that benificial effects and buffs are ground based AOEs so that you just effect those around you if you are in an area that would be considered more challenging. In most games those types of areas you would group up. In GW2 you don't have to. There is a huge difference between coexisting within a community mingling within a community. GW2 systems promotes people simply coexisting.  With sharing all rewards, and AOE buffs and heals

compare this to another game. Say TERA. While there are huge areas where people solo. There are also more challenging areas and content like BAM infested areas. In those areas people actually group up to play. I have out about equal time in both games. I have built a friends list in TERA. Which most will say has a terrible community, however in grouping I have met some cool people. In GW2 I have attempted to put forth the same effort to group up. I have only managed to add 1 person to my friends list that wasnt a RL friend since starting the game. Sadly she no longer plays. She went back to EVE. Why? Because she said she got tired of the lack of community and felt like she was playing a single player game most the time when she was on.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    One last thing of note. I'm hoping the tweaks they made to the dungeons will make them more appealing. I enjoy the story elements of the dungeons and the atmosphere of them. If these adjustments go over well it may well help build the community somewhat.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Judging by your previos post of you praising the hell out of the game, I would say give it another shot in a few weeks. The game has no sub so there is plenty of time to go back and check it out later. It doesn't sound like you really experienced most of the game and got hung up on a bugged story quest. I just played through to the level 75 story quest on a character and did not experience any problems, so i would suggest looking up on the forums to see if anyone has this problem. Chances are it will be fixed sooner then later; the story stuff usualy gets fixed fairly quick compared to other parts of the game.  I would also recommend getting help in story missions or outleveling them by some levels to make sure you can do them better if you are having problems. 

Dungeons are hit or miss for most people, but they have been vastly improved since launch and can be a great experience. Some still need some work and bosses across the board need HP adjustments, but they can most certainly be fun as hell. I would say look for a big zerg guild to get your barings and use gw2lfg.com to find any groups for dungeons. Using gw2lfg.com has practically instant results most of the time or less time then it would take to find a group using a dungeon finder in other games. I was about to jump you because your original post had the quality of a usual hater, but it seems like at one point you were indeed excited about the game. 

The biggest problem for most people with GW2 initially is that they just dont "get" it. It doesn't tell you what to do or hold your hand like pretty much every other post-WoW MMO. Take your time to explore the game, don't just follow hearts around, do some sPvP if you want to crack some skulls, follow a commander icon in WvW for a bit, run some dungeons, do some story missions, run some jump puzzles,ect. There is alot to do in the game and even though the progression does get to the point where it barely is worth it (exotic-> ascended gear) there is still plenty of progression there to keep you busy as well as set some goals for a while. There are also plenty of other options then a legendary if you are looking for some good looking weapons or armor. Try another class too while you are at it. There is alot to do and it will only be getting better this month with guild missions and next month with WvW rank progression.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Thank you for your informative post OP, i will take it to heart as i continue to enjoy GW2. 

Please believe me when i say, enjoy World of Warcraft, i hope you stay with that game as long as it makes you happy.

Lolipops !

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180
    What's the problem with the personal story? I use the "skip to end" button because i am not intrested in that but most of the time you have the possibility to skip it anyway?

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

I think I have the cut of your jib right there. You're one of those people that jumps around stormwind repeatedly bugging people with the duel flag when they're trying to get a moments peace aren't you? I never understood people who want to duel but then again it's a long time since I was 12 years old. I'd recommend returning to wow if you miss all those features. It's like someone saying 'so I stopped eating chicken and moved onto beef and I was soooo dissapointed to find it tastes nothing like chicken?! And It doesn't even have any wings!! 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Loke666

Done.

#EPICFAIL

Oh, and I did down the hatch in less than 15 minutes 2 days after launch, I in fact did all personal story stuff including the really hard ones in Orr and still didnt any one of them even take half an hour. How many times did you die?

Loke I hate to say it but you are extremely biased. Just because he didn't do a dungeon doesn't mean he isn't entitled to his opinion about the rest of the game. Im the opposite, I only did one dungeon, reached level 80, and loved my experience  despite barely touching the dungeons. The only thing I didn't like was the cheesy personal story (which did get a little better at the very end) and the monotonous feeling of the snowy areas...oh...and that the best city I have ever seen in a game was barely used.

There Is Always Hope!

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

#EPICFAIL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LijSsSPCZGs Down the hatch done by a thief in 18 minutes.

When you are having a hard time finishing a task, you can always change your active skills to adapt to the situation.

You know, more like.. using a tactic rather than spamming skills?

Harbinger of Fools
  • AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83

Dont feel bad man, i had went to the game with my wow guild, around 20ish people, after 3 weeks we all quit aswell, if you could of gotten to try some of the dungeons, it would of made you only quit sooner. Tho that ride to 80 was amazing.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I've been playing GW2 since the beta. I work a day job, have a wife and kid. The casual nature of the game suits me very well. I get in 1 or 2 hours of play time every day and a bit longer on the weekends.

I do my daily and then do some WvW with my guild. I'm on Santum of Rall which is the #2 server in wvw, which makes it more engaging to be part of a server that takes wvw seriously.

Long term I plan to get all ascended gear and finally get enough mats to get my Legendary(s). I'll be at this for a while hehe.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Dakeru

#EPICFAIL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LijSsSPCZGs Down the hatch done by a thief in 18 minutes.

When you are having a hard time finishing a task, you can always change your active skills to adapt to the situation.

You know, more like.. using a tactic rather than spamming skills?

D'oh! 

As for the dungeons, GW2 doesn't have a dungeon finder just like you seem to have no patience.  Don't expect them to dumb down the game anytime soon.  They've made WoW PvE so incredibly simple now, I can't even stand to play it.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I just did "Down the Hatch"... it's YOU not the game LOL!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Loke666

Loke I hate to say it but you are extremely biased. Just because he didn't do a dungeon doesn't mean he isn't entitled to his opinion about the rest of the game. Im the opposite, I only did one dungeon, reached level 80, and loved my experience  despite barely touching the dungeons. The only thing I didn't like was the cheesy personal story (which did get a little better at the very end) and the monotonous feeling of the snowy areas...oh...and that the best city I have ever seen in a game was barely used.

While he have right to his opinion not even trying a dungeon in any fantasy MMO and complaining that you are done after a few weeks is a huge misstake.

You could say the same about Wow or any other modern fantasy MMOs because a lot of what we call endgame is about dungeons, particularly if you dont like PvP.

Yeah, some people dont like dungeons and play the other aspects instead but you really at least should try them out before writing a review and bashing a game completely, they are a very important part of the genre.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Done.

Well, have fun back in WoW I suppose... GW2 isn't for everyone. But... crafting meaningless and silly? I'm going to have to object to that oversimplification. My necro, when I reached 80, received a full set of exotic gear, weapons and jewelery that I crafted myself with mats I'd already saved up. A full, complete set, exactly the stats I wanted. This is not meaningless or silly in the least.  Dungeon... if your guild won't help you get into dungeons I think you may want to consider a new guild. There are guilds that are extremely helpful and focus on dungeon running and the like. WvW, btw, is an absolute blast.

But, to each his own. I'd check the new updates to come, but if nothing entices you back then best of luck in WoW (or whichever game you land in). If everyone has a game out there they enjoy then we're doing good as a whole.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by cybertrucker

While I find the game fun for casual play.  I am with you about the lack of social play within the game. Now people will come yelling at you on these forums calling you a hater for saying it but it is the truth. This does not mean its completely impossible to get a group going for a dungeon or other activities but it is definately harder to. Prepare for people to say your just not in the right guild. Well I have been in 3. All 3 of them have promoted their guilds as being friendly and active in all aspects of  play. However the truth is they only talk during WvW and only in voice to the people involved. PVE..

GW2 suffers from the fact that 95% of the game was made to be soloable. Compounding this is that benificial effects and buffs are ground based AOEs so that you just effect those around you if you are in an area that would be considered more challenging. In most games those types of areas you would group up. In GW2 you don't have to. There is a huge difference between coexisting within a community mingling within a community. GW2 systems promotes people simply coexisting.  With sharing all rewards, and AOE buffs and heals

I would like to point out that, disregarding events in Orr that require multiple people (and others as well), the new Guild Missions will be going a long ways towards some extremely social play and should be checked out before dismissal.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

People might be ripping him a new one on here for making broad general statements about most of the gameplay however there's one thing that no one can honestly claim is wrong. And that's the sorry excuse for rewards system this game gives you now.

It's so bad that completing maps doesn't even give you good gear. So basically there's no reason to do anything on the game, 0 rewards = 0 rewards.

Do pvp 0 rewards, do wvw 0 rewards, do dragon events 0 rewards, do dungeons tokens for looks, do open world events 0 rewards, do map completion 0 rewards, discover hidden chests 0 rewards.

They need to fire the economy guy and that woman from Nexon and then maybe they'll have a stable economy in this game. $50 to gear your first 80 in exotics is not a good investment sorry.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Volenibblets

I think I have the cut of your jib right there. You're one of those people that jumps around stormwind repeatedly bugging people with the duel flag when they're trying to get a moments peace aren't you? I never understood people who want to duel but then again it's a long time since I was 12 years old. I'd recommend returning to wow if you miss all those features. It's like someone saying 'so I stopped eating chicken and moved onto beef and I was soooo dissapointed to find it tastes nothing like chicken?! And It doesn't even have any wings!! 

Duelling; what prize twat introduced that into mmo's?  It is designed for exactly the sort of people I would never want to play an mmo with; if you enjoy duelling go play an online fps, at least it is a level playing field and some kind of sport.  

Oh and I almost forgot about my favorite aspects of DR now, whole chests disappear for Dragon events AND dungeons. wow just wow. WoW never had that problem. Amazing that people are still playing and aren't outraged by this at this point.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by itgrowls

People might be ripping him a new one on here for making broad general statements about most of the gameplay however there's one thing that no one can honestly claim is wrong. And that's the sorry excuse for rewards system this game gives you now.

It's so bad that completing maps doesn't even give you good gear. So basically there's no reason to do anything on the game, 0 rewards = 0 rewards.

Do pvp 0 rewards, do wvw 0 rewards, do dragon events 0 rewards, do dungeons tokens for looks, do open world events 0 rewards, do map completion 0 rewards, discover hidden chests 0 rewards.

They need to fire the economy guy and that woman from Nexon and then maybe they'll have a stable economy in this game. $50 to gear your first 80 in exotics is not a good investment sorry.

Because a opinion is a fact all of a sudden.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Originally posted by Volenibblets

Duelling; what prize twat introduced that into mmo's?  It is designed for exactly the sort of people I would never want to play an mmo with; if you enjoy duelling go play an online fps, at least it is a level playing field and some kind of sport.  

There actually will be a means for dueling soon as it is with the private sPvP servers that are... I think... in the next major patch. It won't be an in game bug people to death with dueling challenges thing, but the means will be there for consentual 1v1 PvP if you choose to set it up.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I see you found a new misinforming leit motiv, but anyone actually playing the game knows you don't need any kind of "real" money to get a character fully geared in exotics.

6 posts in the official forums 2 of which are well over 1200 posts and my entire experience post Nov 2012 would like to have a word with you. It's not misinformation when it's an everyday occurrance and what would be nice is if people like you would stop jumping on the "everything's fine because I got mine" bandwagon and be as outraged as your fellow players who are experiencing this daily have become. People are STILL getting 0 chests to appear from Dragon events and from boss fights in dungeons and you sit here and tell people that it's misinformation. smdh. 

If you are a new player IE solo and you don't know anyone by the time you reach level 80 you might have about 8 gold. That's the cost of 2 runes if you're lucky and maybe 1.5 pieces of armor in the TP. We're talking the good stuff since this title slants the best damage toward burst unlike the way it was at launch.

[mod edit]