Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why ubergrafics aren't important

13»

Comments

• alexisevicalexisevic Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by skyexile

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Originally posted by skyexile I wouldn't expect anything insanly top end, but id hope theres some decent details in the models and effects. I honestly dont think GW2 graphics are that great, i dont see why they wouldn't be able to match or beat them.
    Not discounting your opinion, but i am curious what mmo you consider as good or excellent graphics ?

I think Aions is a good, and its a much older game with less issues with people onscreen, PlanetSides 2 is heaps better. GW2 character models and textures are kinda avg, could be that their lighting isnt the best to go with it though. i think their particle effects are pretty good though.

still though, this game needs unreal 4 :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD9CPqSKjTU

I think CryEngine 3 would look better... its a lot 'grittier' IMO. 

• Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by alexisevic
    Originally posted by Masita
    Originally posted by Hagnar
    Am I the only one that would love to see a Daoc style graphics with some improvements? I don't need much more, but please... do not choose cartoony style! 

second that, especially concerning armor and weapon skins... sometimes it gets annoying

Oh God, this times 1000x.  Nothing breaks the immersion of a game then cartoony graphics.  I'm hoping for somthing Age of Conan like.  And please, don't sexualize female armor.  Its just silly.  A little cleavage is fine, but no swimware. 

Mark already wrote on YouTube:

All I can say for now is that it will not be cartoonish. I'm not looking to make WoW in Arthurian clothing. :)

So don´t worry - no cartoon here :)

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 565

The problem with most engines is that they look great with 30 or 40 people on screen and they shit the bed when you get 100. A game like this needs performance over flash. The niche community he is gunning for  would forgive not having omguberleet gfx for the ability to have 100-200 people onscreen at once fighting. I'd like to think that anyway though I could be wrong.

The problem with the unreal engine and the cryengine is they are made for high detailed 1st person shooters. While they have been used for large scale pvp games they have all had issues in them. GW2's engine is proprietary as its just a heavily upgraded gw1 engine. But that has issues culling as well. The forgelight engine that sony created for ps2 can handle the players, but don't think they license that as using it in PS2 was just a testbed for EQ Next.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

You don't need imbalance super uber graphic to create a good ambient. Dark Age of Camelot had the best and most immersive ambient I ever experienced. Some overproduced soundtracks and highend graphics don't create a really good feeling at all.

Dark Age of Camelot felt pretty dark and the ambient-soundloops fit absolute perfect. I even downloaded some soundloops of DAoC and placed them in my GuildWars 2 folder when I used to play GuildWars 2.

Even Warhammer Online had some dirty and darker graphics. It just fits to the game. I don't need super uber blur effects like in Bottlefield 3 to enjoy the game. Ambiente is the most important thing and it depends on the setting.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

GW2s culling do suck but it have a lot to do with the game more or less have a new untried engine (even if it keeps some of the basics from the original game, but the original game had a lot fewer players anyways).

It will now be bandaided with the 2d representation but I am sure they eventually will tune the engine enough. Of course maybe they should take away some fluff from the PvP zone as well to make performance better in them.

MMOs with  well coded engine can handle many players and still have fine looking graphics.

In TORs case it have a lot to do with the beta Hero engine and also that they have failedgetting out what they can from it, I wouldnt actually call TOR pretty, just so-so.

CU is fine for people with ancient computers though and MMOs should come in many different styles, both for graphics and gameplay but I still wish this game had better budget and licensed a good engine. But I myself want at least my game to look somewhat pretty.

And yes, Eves backgrounds are a great advantage compared to games where you are on the ground. The queastion is if many  games shouldnt focus more on high poly count avatars and less on background to make PvP flow better while still look kinda pretty. Too many particles effects doesnt help either.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by aylwynn

You don't need imbalance super uber graphic to create a good ambient. Dark Age of Camelot had the best and most immersive ambient I ever experienced. Some overproduced soundtracks and highend graphics don't create a really good feeling at all.

Dark Age of Camelot felt pretty dark and the ambient-soundloops fit absolute perfect. I even downloaded some soundloops of DAoC and placed them in my GuildWars 2 folder when I used to play GuildWars 2.

Even Warhammer Online had some dirty and darker graphics. It just fits to the game. I don't need super uber blur effects like in Bottlefield 3 to enjoy the game. Ambiente is the most important thing and it depends on the setting.

Music, lightning and colors can indeed help a lot without using much resources. :)

• uberowouberowo Member Posts: 18

Graphics are important.

The Planetside 2 engine would be ideal. :D

• erkzulerkzul Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by aylwynn

I agree with this, I never felt immersion in a game as much as I did in DAoC.

Gameplay over graphics 100%.

Not sure what else I can say, if you have a game that looks pretty but plays like shit, you aren't going to stick around for very long because it looks good. It needs to play well first and foremost.

I have almost 700 hours played in Warband, and its not the best looking game (it acutally reminds me of DAoC in a way) but the gameplay is really fun, and that keeps me coming back.

Since this isn't going to be a AAA game with a 100 million dollar + budget, I hope they focus on gameplay.

I would even prefer a retro dark and gritty artstyle, almost like a classic DAoC with more fluid animations.