Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WildStar the next Vanilla WoW?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I think maybe yes some have even compared it from a cross between GW2 and Borderland. I also agree with that.

OK now why did I say it could be the next VANILLA Wow? Well lets take everything we know about vanilla WoW and compare it to WS for starters we did not know to much about vanilla WoW just like how we still dont know that much about WS and my hats off to Carbine Studios for keeping it that way. Yes I know WS is a Sci Fi MMO and Vanilla WoW is fantasy but that leads me to my secound point.

Blizz knew what the players wanted with Vanilla WoW 8 years ago just like Carbine Studios knows what the players want today a diffrent but inovated MMO that could have the potential of being something great. Carbine Studios is not going for huge with WS just like Blizz did not go for something huge with Vanilla WoW it just happen that way. I can see in a year from now WS not only keeping its player base but increasing.

Third point is that it is toony. We love our toony MMO's dont we. Proff is in the pudding with this ones folks. I think I found my next WoW and WS should be it.

Comments

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Aori
    Carbine Studios is making the game not NCsoft thank god. Also A good amount of Carbines staff worked on vanilla WoW.

TY fixed.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I gotta say I wasn't too excited for this one as I'm not generally a sci fi MMO kind of person ( I love sci fi TV shows and books but games always fall short to my expectations.) But that article and those videos kind of changed my mind. Looks promising!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• recruiter1recruiter1 Member Posts: 4

I put all my gaming hopes to Wildstar, it's exactly what i wanted... Used to play wow for like 7 years, but i was losing interest day by day after TBC, and now i hear for wildstar, a game that wants to bring back the word MASSIVE on mmo!!

Lets hope for the best!!

<Prepared> EU, A Wildstar Progressive Guild. www.prepared-guild.com... Apply Now

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

I don't think it's comparable, wow never had housing,exploration, world building stuff..

I also love scifi way more than fantasy :P

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

If you're talking in terms of content, then I'd say there's a strong possibility of that.

If you're talking in terms of mass appeal, then no. I don't think we're going to see a 'Vanilla WoW' for quite some time. Why? Because gamers can't be satisfied with anything. Vanilla WoW's popularity was directly attributed to 2 things.

1) It's a Blizzard title, and Blizzard has (for a long time now) been one of those companies where the majority of fans would literally by anything with their name on it blindly. To this day they still have a very loyal fanbase, even if it's dwindled a bit.

2) Blizzard managed to pull in their core audience (many of whom never before played MMOs) into this newer genre, and their friends along with them.

Because WoW came out during a time when a lot of people didn't even know what an MMO was, there was no baseline for comparison for most players. For most WoW fans, WoW was their first MMO. Today, that's not really happening much at all. The audience has been set, and it's exploded to the point where it's not getting that much larger. Furthermore, people have had time to play not just WoW, but a number of MMOs. As such, every new MMO not only gets compared to every other MMO out on the market, but it's playerbase also gets disected by an absurd amount of criteria. Gamers are pickier than ever, and many are unwilling to play a game if they don't feel it caters specifically to them.

Based on what I've seen so far, I think Wildstar will be a successful MMO. I'm not sure it will have quite the mass appeal some are hoping for, though.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by aesperus

If you're talking in terms of content, then I'd say there's a strong possibility of that.

If you're talking in terms of mass appeal, then no. I don't think we're going to see a 'Vanilla WoW' for quite some time. Why? Because gamers can't be satisfied with anything. Vanilla WoW's popularity was directly attributed to 2 things.

1) It's a Blizzard title, and Blizzard has (for a long time now) been one of those companies where the majority of fans would literally by anything with their name on it blindly. To this day they still have a very loyal fanbase, even if it's dwindled a bit.

2) Blizzard managed to pull in their core audience (many of whom never before played MMOs) into this newer genre, and their friends along with them.

Because WoW came out during a time when a lot of people didn't even know what an MMO was, there was no baseline for comparison for most players. For most WoW fans, WoW was their first MMO. Today, that's not really happening much at all. The audience has been set, and it's exploded to the point where it's not getting that much larger. Furthermore, people have had time to play not just WoW, but a number of MMOs. As such, every new MMO not only gets compared to every other MMO out on the market, but it's playerbase also gets disected by an absurd amount of criteria. Gamers are pickier than ever, and many are unwilling to play a game if they don't feel it caters specifically to them.

Based on what I've seen so far, I think Wildstar will be a successful MMO. I'm not sure it will have quite the mass appeal some are hoping for, though.

Why do people even start these threads?  The WoW phenomenen is never going to occur again.

In addition to what aesperus has said, back in December 2004 it was clear that Everquest and Everquest II were better games, very few MMO players moved from SOE to Blizzard.  Most of those that did eventual came back to SOE.  What Blizzard did was bring in a huge new player base from outside of the existing MMO base, one that dwarfed the original.

As timed has moved on so have players from both Evequest/Everquest II and World of Warcraft.  But I expect that 9 out of 10 new MMO players in the West go to World of Warcraft as their first MMO.  They may not stay long but many do and that is why WoW remains the 900lb gorilla in the MMO space.

New games always pull players from existing games, they get few players new to MMO's entirely.  If Wildstar is hugely successfull it might (and this is a tremendously large if) pull as many as 500,000 players from WoW and half that number again from all other games.  That is still way less than the 9,000,000 or so that will remain playing WoW. 

Remember I am not predicting this, just saying that this is the best that Wildstar can expect in the first 90 days.

Oh and BTW, WoW got better for quite a while there.  Everquest and Everquest II stagnated and then went backwards.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Aori
    Carbine Studios is making the game not NCsoft thank god. Also A good amount of Carbines staff worked on vanilla WoW.

The second part really matters little, we seen plenty of MMOs with people who worked for Blizz. Copernicus somes to mind and we know how it turned out.

Personally I hope Wildstar do fine but not Wow great, because we dont need 8 more years of a single game which everyone tries to copy. A few larger games would be nice all competing on close to equal terms instead, it is far better for us consumers.

• XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105

Originally posted by craftseeker

it was clear that Everquest and Everquest II were better games

Yeah, right, NO it's just YOUR opinion about it, I personaly hated EQ2. I was a huge fan of EQ1 but prefered WOW to EQ2 a thousand times; thanks for giving your opinion tho'

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Certainly hope its not ..when I look back I realize vanilla WoW was a broken piece of crap no one would play if released today.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

theres really very little hope of a new vanilla wow for me because I feel like the only person left on earth who would spend 2 months farming D1 and be happy about it.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by azmundai

theres really very little hope of a new vanilla wow for me because I feel like the only person left on earth who would spend 2 months farming D1 and be happy about it.

My Warrior had Pally shoulders for months because they were the best I had at the time. I would often receive cries of help "Rez me pleae" and I'd die a little inside...

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Certainly hope its not ..when I look back I realize vanilla WoW was a broken piece of crap no one would play if released today.

Vanilla WoW was fine... people used to not obsessed with class balance, being overpowered and FOTM class.

That is the problem with a large number of gamers nowadays - mmorpg is not about rpg anymore but about being a leet kid in an mmo.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by azmundai theres really very little hope of a new vanilla wow for me because I feel like the only person left on earth who would spend 2 months farming D1 and be happy about it.

My Warrior had Pally shoulders for months because they were the best I had at the time. I would often receive cries of help "Rez me pleae" and I'd die a little inside...

I remember crashing almost every time DS dropped :) .. lol that was frustrating, but we all knew we would be back in there the next day so it never really bothered me all that much. I remember one girl had almost full MC armor before she got the D1 druid crown.

Or how about farming the lich for the int flask .. lol .. he's not even in the game anymore !_!

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Vanilla WoW was fine... people used to not obsessed with class balance, being overpowered and FOTM class.

That is the problem with a large number of gamers nowadays - mmorpg is not about rpg anymore but about being a leet kid in an mmo.

Balance wasnt the issue (well it was but thats always). Problem was with broken talent trees, whole trees were unplayable and most of classes only had one playble spec. And that was through whole vanilla, major changes begun with first expansion. Funny things is no one really cared much at the time, that why ppl dont seem to remember .. but imagine if same thing happen in a new mmo today.

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214

When it comes to vanilla WoW I think there is a lot of nostalgia surronding it, because it was many peoples' first mmo and if not thier first the most significant/meaningful.  In a recent video here on this site Jeremy Gaffney talked about things like leveling being awesome the first time around, but after 5 max characters in WoW plus countless other MMO's it just doesn't feel as awesome like it did in vanilla. It's like chasing the dragon but with MMO's.

I honestly don't know if WS will be the next WoW. I do know that WS does have its work cut out for it with many gamers jaded from the post WoW MMO boom however, I am hopeful. Carbine seems to have a good head on its shoulders. I really enjoy seeing thier staff interecting with the fans and listening to what is said. If that is something they continue through development and post-launch they should have a good shot at being succesful (in my humble opinion).

-T

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

I was not there , in the begining, when WoW "got it big" and I often ask myself  "Why?" It had the best start of all MMO's!

( I don't know why, but this video of Burning Crusade launch event is ...relaxing :) which makes me want to turn back the time :) ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7SIauqT2cw

Now WildStar is very much , for me, in the same boat! I believe it will have THAT start, and it will be big. The graphic, the gameplay...the humor ...I don't know, but it gives me the same feelings of how WoW was back then, which is nice.

This time however, I will not miss THIS start :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't see the comparison between WS and Vanilla WoW.  Unless WS is incredibly polished, brings a huge number of it's own fans into the genre, and is easier / cleaner than anything else out there, I just don't see it happening.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by IceAge

I was not there , in the begining, when WoW "got it big" and I often ask myself  "Why?" It had the best start of all MMO's!

( I don't know why, but this video of Burning Crusade launch event is ...relaxing :) which makes me want to turn back the time :) ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7SIauqT2cw

Now WildStar is very much , for me, in the same boat! I believe it will have THAT start, and it will be big. The graphic, the gameplay...the humor ...I don't know, but it gives me the same feelings of how WoW was back then, which is nice.

This time however, I will not miss THIS start :)

this ^^

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Balance wasnt the issue (well it was but thats always). Problem was with broken talent trees, whole trees were unplayable and most of classes only had one playble spec. And that was through whole vanilla, major changes begun with first expansion. Funny things is no one really cared much at the time, that why ppl dont seem to remember .. but imagine if same thing happen in a new mmo today.

It's not much different now. If you're having a good time with a game anyway, you don't care about the broken stuff. Yeah, the loot bug was annoying in early WOW (how could it not be, it was a looting game first and foremost), but people kept going because, despite it, they were still enjoying the game.

Think of Skyrim, it had its share of problems - and some players were even furious - but many didn't care at all, because they were just smitten :)

Come to think of it, I'd say some of my favorite games had some really annoying problems in them... Planescape Torment! I had to restart the damned thing every hour or it'd crash so badly it'd take my desk down with it! :) I was angry only because I had to take a few minutes break from the game.

If Carbine made an absolutely thrilling game today and it had some really annoying bugs, I'm positive people would still keep playing.

While saying we've become less tolerant of rough spots wouldn't exactly be wrong, I'd say it's the easy way out. Maybe the games we're playing just don't thrill us that much anymore. :)

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I don't see the comparison between WS and Vanilla WoW.  Unless WS is incredibly polished, brings a huge number of it's own fans into the genre, and is easier / cleaner than anything else out there, I just don't see it happening.

You definitely have a point about WoW having a solid fan base before it released and we also saw this with GW2 definitely benefitting from the original success of GW. It is something Carbine and Wildstar will have to overcome in the beginning, but hopefully this is where the giant NCSoft can actually do some good by promoting the hell out of the game in the coming months to draw some attention it.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Tintagil
    Originally posted by XAPGames

You definitely have a point about WoW having a solid fan base before it released and we also saw this with GW2 definitely benefitting from the original success of GW. It is something Carbine and Wildstar will have to overcome in the beginning, but hopefully this is where the giant NCSoft can actually do some good by promoting the hell out of the game in the coming months to draw some attention it.

Well said Tintagil

@ XAPgames Not sure how you can say Vanilla WoW was polished and had a huge fan base?? Just like all things even Vanilla Wow had its rough start and small player base.

Oh yes I do realize I am impling that you saying that Vanilla WoW was polished and had a huge fan base from the start. At least this is how I am reading your post, Correct me pls if I am wrong.