Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suprisingly having a great time

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
It isn't the second coming of Christ by no means but I truely love the Juggernaut story I am currently playing through. It is so much better than the dynamic events in GW2 and the quests in WoW. The story is the soul reason why you want to continue playing. I'm suprised because I didn't think it would be that good. I also love the crafting where I send my crew off to carry out missions. It is fun and there is still plenty I need to play through. Looks like I may have found a mmo for awhile.

Comments

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    The stort has alwaya been the great part in swtor. But u wont b having such a great time at endgame, theres no reason to revisit the themeparkzones, pluss the only logical place to hang out is at the fleets. Sadly theres nothing to do there, i.e. dueling disabled
  • FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    It isn't the second coming of Christ by no means but I truely love the Juggernaut story I am currently playing through. It is so much better than the dynamic events in GW2 and the quests in WoW. The story is the soul reason why you want to continue playing. I'm suprised because I didn't think it would be that good. I also love the crafting where I send my crew off to carry out missions. It is fun and there is still plenty I need to play through. Looks like I may have found a mmo for awhile.

Good to hear. Despite the crap I say about SWTOR, the game itself isn't too bad. As you said, the storyline is really where this game shines. Personally, I'm just not a fan of the old-school tab-target system; I feel like I've grown past that and prefer a more action-oriented gameplay (i.e. ones that require aiming and, if possible, has gamepad support). But my main issue with SWTOR is really just the dumb F2P restrictions that Bioware and EA imposed, which is why I will continue to play the game for free and not support them financially. I think of it as a "silent protest", if you will.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Kudos.

Amongst the plethora of themeparks, I find this one to be the most enjoyable.  Partly for the lore.  But a lot because I find the stories above and beyond the normal crop.  It actually feels like a computer RPG.

Playing on Prophecy of the Five.  Send me a PM if youd like to group up sometime.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Glad you're enjoying it. The game does have the best leveling experience I ever had in an MMO. The combat is good and the game runs very fluid for me. I also love the companion system which makes crafting so much more fun. If you love to role play, the legacy system will keep you busy for many hours. 

It's interesting that you bring up dynamic events because in my view that is something this game lacks. There just isn't anything there to surprise you. In RIFT for example, you could be in a town/quest hub  doing the usual quest thing when all of a sudden big monsters come and invade the town. You all of a sudden  have to fight of these monsters to stop them from taking it over. All of a sudden a bunch of players who were doing their own thing have to band together to stop this. In TOR, your quest hubs never have to worry about this even though you are suppose to be in the middle of a war. Rebels never assault Imperial bases and Imperials never assault rebel bases. I'm glad that we have the Gree event for a limited time, but they really should think about implementing more dynamic events in this game. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

Glad you're enjoying it. The game does have the best leveling experience I ever had in an MMO. The combat is good and the game runs very fluid for me. I also love the companion system which makes crafting so much more fun. If you love to role play, the legacy system will keep you busy for many hours. 

It's interesting that you bring up dynamic events because in my view that is something this game lacks. There just isn't anything there to surprise you. In RIFT for example, you could be in a town/quest hub  doing the usual quest thing when all of a sudden big monsters come and invade the town. You all of a sudden  have to fight of these monsters to stop them from taking it over. All of a sudden a bunch of players who were doing their own thing have to band together to stop this. In TOR, your quest hubs never have to worry about this even though you are suppose to be in the middle of a war. Rebels never assault Imperial bases and Imperials never assault rebel bases. I'm glad that we have the Gree event for a limited time, but they really should think about implementing more dynamic events in this game. 

That would be very cool if the implemented those types of things.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Yeah, the stories are great - it's still a one of a kind MMO in that regard. Future playthroughs lose some of that magic because the planet quests are the same, except for some dialogue changes and of course depending on whether you go Light Side or Dark Side.

Glad to hear you're having a good time!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Have fun!

I was playing my Jedi Guardian pretty heavily a few weeks ago..and having quite abit of fun :)

Dunno what happened tho, Same as what happened at launch slowly by slow i logged in less and less.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

Well, my sub runs out this week. While I find the story missions very good, there is just not enough there to keep me playing OR paying. I find that doing repeatable mission once you reach level cap just gets boring too fast and is not worth the time. PvP may be fine for some but I have yet to find a good PvP type MMO anywhere. OPs (raiding) is fine but again it gets boring after you have run the same on a few dozen times.

So, with some regret, I will be saying good-bye to SWTOR this week.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Yeah the leveling experience is quite fun, better than most mmos I have played.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Gruug

Well, my sub runs out this week. While I find the story missions very good, there is just not enough there to keep me playing OR paying. I find that doing repeatable mission once you reach level cap just gets boring too fast and is not worth the time. PvP may be fine for some but I have yet to find a good PvP type MMO anywhere. OPs (raiding) is fine but again it gets boring after you have run the same on a few dozen times.

Sadly you've pretty much summed up the end game in most MMO's, raid until you're bored with the raids and run dailies...

The same reason I generally get burnout.

Hopefully at some point they'll add something that will rekindle your interest, Gruug.

Have fun wherever your journey takes you next!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Many have lamented that SWTOR was not released as KOTR3; opinions differ on how "good" the story is - the side plots in particular - but the general opinion is that the story is solid and enjoyable.

The comparison with GW2 is an apples to oranges affair. GW2's primary aim was to get people to the "end game" as quickly as possible. Saying that GW2 has no story may be a little harsh but story wasn't the primary aim. It was "what came after" - the mmo bit.. And whilst some may prefer SWTOR the general opinion was that GW2 did the mmo part much better than SWTOR.

As a result people left after 1-2 months. and the game introduced a F2P option with the story now free to download. Which is the other key difference between SWTOR and GW2. In the beginning SWTOR everyone had to sub to play. A sub that probably curtailed initial sales. GW2 was B2P, has sold shed loads (as confirmed by NCSoft's most recent results).

Onlly time will tell whether you have found your new mmo - a solid story for sure. Of course what EA wants is someone who pays every month - will you qualify or just go F2P :) Enjoy either way.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Yeah, the stories are great - it's still a one of a kind MMO in that regard. Future playthroughs lose some of that magic because the planet quests are the same, except for some dialogue changes and of course depending on whether you go Light Side or Dark Side.

Glad to hear you're having a good time!

Yeah, the class stories are the main draw for me as well. I do notice that I tend to rotate light and dark answers for side quests based on the character that I am playing. The side quests seem to go by pretty quickly after your first playthrough thou.  

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Many have lamented that SWTOR was not released as KOTR3; opinions differ on how "good" the story is - the side plots in particular - but the general opinion is that the story is solid and enjoyable.

The comparison with GW2 is an apples to oranges affair. GW2's primary aim was to get people to the "end game" as quickly as possible. Saying that GW2 has no story may be a little harsh but story wasn't the primary aim. It was "what came after" - the mmo bit.. And whilst some may prefer SWTOR the general opinion was that GW2 did the mmo part much better than SWTOR.

As a result people left after 1-2 months. and the game introduced a F2P option with the story now free to download. Which is the other key difference between SWTOR and GW2. In the beginning SWTOR everyone had to sub to play. A sub that probably curtailed initial sales. GW2 was B2P, has sold shed loads (as confirmed by NCSoft's most recent results).

Onlly time will tell whether you have found your new mmo - a solid story for sure. Of course what EA wants is someone who pays every month - will you qualify or just go F2P :) Enjoy either way.

Since GW2 was already brought up, I guess I can comment.  GW2 story was lackluster, and while the new parts carried along with your level, I found them increasingly difficult to want to do.  They were more annoying than anything.

I got mid level and stopped doing them .. I just didn't want to.  The story was idiocracy and unimaginative. /shrug

Not to mention each cinematic was on a level below SWTOR.  And I even criticise SWTOR.  GW2 cinematics were and are abyssmal (two stale npcs staring off into the distance talking to each other).  I'm not a fan of cutscenes, either way.

Story wise, GW2 was boring.  Most SWTOR class stories were also boring, but some were not.  SWTOR gets one-up for that. ,, for the ones they did awesome, like IA. (#1 pick).

Glad your having a great time though.  I won't hold my breath that it will last.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• UsingerUsinger Member UncommonPosts: 26

In the dark old days of DAOC and original WOW there were few gaming alternatives.  So playing an endgame was better than nothing at all.  But these days there are seemingly dozens of alternatives, so playing endgame raids seem pointless to me.

Which is all to say I like SWTOR as well.  I like the mix of open world and "green door" missions.  I'm not worried if the end game is no good:  I don't play any endgmaes...

Originally posted by Usinger

In the dark old days of DAOC and original WOW there were few gaming alternatives.  So playing an endgame was better than nothing at all.  But these days there are seemingly dozens of alternatives, so playing endgame raids seem pointless to me.

Which is all to say I like SWTOR as well.  I like the mix of open world and "green door" missions.  I'm not worried if the end game is no good:  I don't play any endgmaes...

Same here.  End game is not really my thing.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I agree with you completely that the story is the soul reason you want to continue. Sadly the story ends after a month or 2 of playing and a year later EAA/bioware still hasn't managed to add anymore. even their expansion will not add anymore class story quests.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I love all stories, though my favorite are IA, SW, JK and SI.

I got curious and checked my total time played and I was shocked LOL... I just reached my 2000 hours in SWTOR and I am still no bored and excited every time I log in. Whenever I finish class I want to start new one... I have 3 level 50 SW and I am already itching to start the next one. I love their story so much.

I guess this is definitely THE PERFECT game for me LOL.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I got curious and checked my total time played and I was shocked LOL... I just reached my 2000 hours in SWTOR and I am still no bored and excited every time I log in. Whenever I finish class I want to start new one... I have 3 level 50 SW and I am already itching to start the next one. I love their story so much.

So when you just keep creating new characters, you just abandon guilds and / or their progression?

You have a lot of free time, or no guild to progress.  Do you help guildies?  Seems like your experience is entirely solo, SevenStar61.

SWTOR is a more solo-subscription style game though, so it wouldn't be unusual.  Though in games I've played, if there was a boast about player hours, they usually had a guild tag and a significant progression involved.

If you just like to level character after character, no problem, enjoy.  The story was always good.  the game mechanics / future quality / and longevity were what gets called into question.

.. your going to start your 4th Sith Warrior .. rock it out.

Originally posted by Karteli

So when you just keep creating new characters, you just abandon guilds and / or their progression?

You have a lot of free time, or no guild to progress.  Do you help guildies?  Seems like your experience is entirely solo, SevenStar61.

SWTOR is a more solo-subscription style game though, so it wouldn't be unusual.

LOL

I spend enough time with my guildies,  I level toons with my old friend with whom I played EQ2 from 2004 and I also solo as well. Nothing different then I did in EQ2.

The only difference is that leveling in SWTOR is the most enjoyable experience from all MMOs I played. Raiding, instances and heroics  - same as other MMOs... well... ok different as they also have a cool story and purpose and I am excited as a kido every time I do operations and flashpoints. Guildies know  I am fan of stories so no spacebars LOL... they don't complain though.

And as I make videos of  class quests for all classes I have to play solo at least one toon of each class as well :) as I am doing a lot of ESC to capture all possible combinations LOL

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Goodness gracious how many characters have you leveled to 50? I've got three but they're all different: SW,SI and Bounty Hunter. I'm currently leveling the JK story just to see what life is like on the Republic side. Its taking me longer on that one because I do Warzones for my BH and FPs for my SW. Plus this weeks new patch has me in Ilum with  the BH checking out the new stuff and  destroying the Republic idiots who think they can waltz in a PVP area with PVE gear . The hate tells I receive back is proof of one thing: While TOR is different from  SWG in every way, there is one thing that both have in common: Jedi players. They're still the biggest bunch of whining carebears of all time. ;)

LOL

I spend enough time with my guildies,  I level toons with my old friend with whom I played EQ2 from 2004 and I also solo as well. Nothing different then I did in EQ2.

The only difference is that leveling in SWTOR is the most enjoyable experience from all MMOs I played. Raiding, instances and heroics  - same as other MMOs... well... ok different as they also have a cool story and purpose and I am excited as a kido every time I do operations and flashpoints. Guildies know  I am fan of stories so no spacebars LOL... they don't complain though.

And as I make videos of  class quests for all classes I have to play solo at least one toon of each class as well :) as I am doing a lot of ESC to capture all possible combinations LOL

Aye, I've seen your videos (quite good).

I'm still amazed, because I couldn't see leveling a specific class from 1-50 twice, let alone four times.

Lol, are you independent from EA and any or all financial gain arising from SWTOR?  Asking because you are virtually unreal in your SWTOR ambitions.  3 Sith Warriors, working on a 4th ......

Your videos are of good quality as well.  Perhaps too good ... |:-D

A response is appreciated to quelsch my misconceptions.  I still like you, just say yay or nay ? (note : http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div8&view=text&node=16:1.0.1.2.22.0.5.6&idno=16) .. TY .. if you respond, you are on the level!

LOL

I'm still amazed, because I couldn't see leveling a specific class from 1-50 twice, let alone four times.

Lol, are you independent from EA and any or all financial gain arising from SWTOR?  Asking because you are virtually unreal in your SWTOR ambitions.  3 Sith Warriors, working on a 4th ......

I thank you for your kind words about my videos:) Considering that I started to learn how to make them just few months ago LOL. I play with monitor with  resolution 2560x1600 all options maxed out. I was using simple Roxio PC Game editor, now I got Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 (it was supposed to be very easy to learn LOL) and it's not too bad, but I am thinking about getting Sony Movie Studio. I use Bandicam for capturing vidoes.  I am still learning though and I spend too much time in game LOL.  I might try to get second part of IA this weekend though it is long overdue.

And nope, I do not work for EA nor for BioWare.  I am a big fan of Star Wars, but SWTOR for some reason just seem to be this right perfect game I've ever dreamed of. I am even bigger fan of LOTR but I could not stomach LOTRO. I still log there from time to time, but characters are simply awful and I can't immerse myself in story there. In SWTOR I am living the stories. I can replay it many times, because every character I create is different for me and goes through story different way. I do not just play the story I build my own story on that. And each of them goes in different direction. I even wrote alternative story for Quinn LOL...  it was very challenging for me, as ESL person.  That can tell you how involved I am in the storytelling :)

Here you have it :) just don't critic it too harsh LOL

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=539066

LOL

I thank you for your kind words about my videos:) Considering that I started to learn how to make them just few months ago LOL. I play with monitor with  resolution 2560x1600 all options maxed out. I was using simple Roxio PC Game editor, now I got Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 (it was supposed to be very easy to learn LOL) and it's not too bad, but I am thinking about getting Sony Movie Studio. I use Bandicam for capturing vidoes.  I am still learning though and I spend too much time in game LOL.  I might try to get second part of IA this weekend though it is long overdue.

And nope, I do not work for EA nor for BioWare.  I am a big fan of Star Wars, but SWTOR for some reason just seem to be this right perfect game I've ever dreamed of. I am even bigger fan of LOTR but I could not stomach LOTRO. I still log there from time to time, but characters are simply awful and I can't immerse myself in story there. In SWTOR I am living the stories. I can replay it many times, because every character I create is different for me and goes through story different way. I do not just play the story I build my own story on that. And each of them goes in different direction. I even wrote alternative story for Quinn LOL...  it was very challenging for me, as ESL person.  That can tell you how involved I am in the storytelling :)

Here you have it :) just don't critic it too harsh LOL

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=539066

You, then, are a simply amazing Star Wars fan.  Even better is how modest you are.

You've got to be in the top 100 Star Wars fans of all time, and you don't even know it.

LOL

A response is appreciated to quelsch my misconceptions.  I still like you, just say yay or nay ? (note : http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div8&view=text&node=16:1.0.1.2.22.0.5.6&idno=16) .. TY .. if you respond, you are on the level!

How is she any different from other posters who are equally ambitous in bashing the game day and night? I know someone actually enjoying an MMO on this site is as rare as Haley's Comet, but there's no need to accuse her of being a paid shrill. 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

It's nice to see a positive SWTOR thread for a change.

That game has its flaws - even fans of the game admit that. But it is the funnest MMO to launch in the last few years imo - I love the story (for the most part) and really like the FP's.