Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could CU be a blend of DAOC and Shadowbane?

RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576

Given what we know so far about it makes me wonder what it might actually be like. I am curious about the thoughts of those that played both DAOC and Shadowbane. Both of which were my favorite games made. Daoc had a nice blend of pve/pvp but was the first pvp game I got to cut my teeth on. Later on down the line Shadowbane got the adrenaline pumping as hard as relic raids did in DAOC. Shadowbane for all its faults, and there were many, had some strong points (character creation/customization and sieges). I'm not here to argue which was better since imo DAOC was better made and more polished at release while Shadowbane was buggy from day 1 until it got turned off. I am however wondering if with the info we know so far it this new game will be a blending of the two.

What we know so far about CU:

• 3 Realms
  • Seamless huge RVR world
  • RVR only or minimal if any PVE/NPC's
  • Siege Warfare
  • Sandbox style elements like housing and such (mark mentioned mincecraft once)
  • There will be resources
  • Class based system with some freedom to tailor it the way you want
  • Consequences of choices (lack of or minimal respecs)

That's a quick summary of the minor known details. I, along with those who are DAOC vets, can pick out a lot of DAOC from that. However what gives me the feeling this game could be at little shadowbane'esque too is just the general gist of what I've gotten reading Mark's blogs.

Shadowbane for those that didn't play it featured more hardcore style pvp. There was limited pve as it was completely throwaway and mindless. You could level to max in a day. The game was politics and pvp. It also had the most in depth customization for a class based system I've ever seen. There were only 3 "safe" zone areas that were just little cities, and then the rest would be similar to DAOC frontiers. The difference being is there were no preset keeps to fight for. Guilds had to spend their time, money, and resources to build their own keeps. They then had to protect and upkeep them with resources while guarding them from enemy sieges. The upside/downside to this system, depending on point of view, was that all your hard work was on the line. Another guild could come and destroy it all, then again you could do the same to your enemies.

This makes me wonder with the lack of pve announced for CU, the sandbox style building of structures, the siege components, and Mark's views on class systems, if this game might not be sort of a blend of DAOC and Shadowbane features/gameplay. Imagine a version of DAOC with more customizable classes and being able to build your own siegable keeps. Or imagine a 3 realm version Shadowbane where you fought over territory not just for your guild but for your alliance/faction. To me anyway it seems like an awesome blend, and after thinking about this game in that light, settles the nerves when I heard it would be a RVR only game.

Comments

• AnideinAnidein Member UncommonPosts: 19

I remember following shadowbane; the team behind it wanted to blend sandbox MMOs with diablo style gameplay, which was quite ambitious.  Although I never played the game past day one, I have a few friends who said the game was some of the best hardcore, fun MMOs ever made.

The game started out as a free for all trying to level and turned into giant guilds that built towns and castles complete with a king and everything.  

Shadowbane never quite reached its potential for me, but the game was literally the wild west of MMOs that several people enjoyed.  Its now actually free to play if the game is still up and running, so if you want to check it out, go ahead and download it just to try it out.

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Originally posted by Anidein

I remember following shadowbane; the team behind it wanted to blend sandbox MMOs with diablo style gameplay, which was quite ambitious.  Although I never played the game past day one, I have a few friends who said the game was some of the best hardcore, fun MMOs ever made.

The game started out as a free for all trying to level and turned into giant guilds that built towns and castles complete with a king and everything.  

Shadowbane never quite reached its potential for me, but the game was literally the wild west of MMOs that several people enjoyed.  Its now actually free to play if the game is still up and running, so if you want to check it out, go ahead and download it just to try it out.

Wild Wild West is indeed what it was in some senses. It was a couple of guys in a garage that started it. I think it was one of the best games I had played. Make no mistake it was a buggy mess that most couldn't look past and rightfully so. But the game closed in July of 2009. Its got an emulator being built and some chinese company bought the IP to make, and I shit you not, World Of Shadowbane wow style lol.

But when thinking about CU in similar terms of shadowbane I can see how an rvr only game can be structured and be more RPG than just say a Planetside 2 with fantasy skin.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    The answer is, "Who knows? Maybe! Or maybe not." I'm not sure even Mark and his devs have nailed down exactly how the RvR gameplay will work yet.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Must say, reservations aside, housing in RvR zones sounds very promising.
    Originally posted by redcapp

Well in the interview here just posted, Mark did confirm there will be housing in both home "safe" zones and housing in the rvr areas. The housing in rvr areas can be destroyed/captured/rebuilt but will allow for advantages that you cannot get from housing in safe areas. He didn't elaborate much on that but made it sound like maybe higher tier resources. Maybe it allows you to mine or whatever higher metals but you risk losing it for example. Whatever it gives you something to fight for which is awesome.

• CypzCypz Member CommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Raagnarz
    Originally posted by redcapp

Well in the interview here just posted, Mark did confirm there will be housing in both home "safe" zones and housing in the rvr areas. The housing in rvr areas can be destroyed/captured/rebuilt but will allow for advantages that you cannot get from housing in safe areas. He didn't elaborate much on that but made it sound like maybe higher tier resounces. Maybe it allows you to mine or whatever higher metals but you risk losing it for example. Whatever it gives you something to fight for whih is awesome.

Can you imagine you and a few guildies running in to a village or settlement of houses in an rvr area where you just burn down the town and steal their supplies for crafting purposes... Awesome!   The more I hear about this game the more I can't believe we have to wait until 2015 to play it.  Ugh. 

I miss the good days of daoc and I hope this will be even better...

Cypz/Cypress

MLF(Alb)/Mordred/Lamorak(Mid)

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Well, technically it could be 2014 rather than 2015 if you consider alpha/beta. Mark has said several times that they want to get backers in as soon as possible to test it out in early builds. So, if you're planning on pledging to the Kickstarter you could get into the earlier stages of testing.
  • rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

Well i hope it has that blend, I really got into the character building of Shadowbane. Not the boob slider aspect but the race selection, rune and stat distribution, add a dash of werewolf and a great sword and you could truely make a one of a kind build.

No one since has come close, Mark could be just the guy to do it. Remember chainsaw Barb, dagger dwarf or Minotaur Blood nuke? All the options brought forth some truely unique builds.

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    giant moba with craft nodes?
    Originally posted by rogue187
    giant moba with craft nodes?

You have evidently read nothing about what has been posted about the game if that is the conclusion you have now arrived at. I thought it could be a MOBA too...last week. You know before details started coming out.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Raagnarz
    Originally posted by rogue187 giant moba with craft nodes?
    You have evidently read nothing about what has been posted about the game if that is the conclusion you have now arrived at. I thought it could be a MOBA too...last week. You know before details started coming out.

He has rejected our reality and substituted his own.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

ShadowBane.... so many good and sad memories from that game. It was truly unique thats for sure, i think what killed that game for me was the GIGANTIC chinese guild that completely destroyed our server. Sure it was great for those asian players who dominated and destroyed everything not theres. For those not in there guild..... meaming anyone who did not speak Mandarin, well we were decimated.

There was no incentive for the chinese players to diversify and fight each other, they banded together in huge numbers and obliterated anyone else. 

If the Chinese players had there own seperate servers and they then formed guilds to challenge each other it might have been a different game, but i give it to them for crushing any other player not apart of there nationality.

I do not really think CU can be compared to other games that have extensive PvE components though, so i really dont see it as a mishmash of DAoC and ShadowBane.

CU will be its own game i think, the fact that its based in the same lore as DAoC, and uses RvR as its main mechanic  will probably be the extent of its comparison to DAoC. Course i am sure others will continually compare and hope it will be DAoC2. Me i am fine with just CU being CU.

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Voiidiin

ShadowBane.... so many good and sad memories from that game. It was truly unique thats for sure, i think what killed that game for me was the GIGANTIC chinese guild that completely destroyed our server. Sure it was great for those asian players who dominated and destroyed everything not theres. For those not in there guild..... meaming anyone who did not speak Mandarin, well we were decimated.

There was no incentive for the chinese players to diversify and fight each other, they banded together in huge numbers and obliterated anyone else. 

If the Chinese players had there own seperate servers and they then formed guilds to challenge each other it might have been a different game, but i give it to them for crushing any other player not apart of there nationality.

I do not really think CU can be compared to other games that have extensive PvE components though, so i really dont see it as a mishmash of DAoC and ShadowBane.

CU will be its own game i think, the fact that its based in the same lore as DAoC, and uses RvR as its main mechanic  will probably be the extent of its comparison to DAoC. Course i am sure others will continually compare and hope it will be DAoC2. Me i am fine with just CU being CU.

Eh its always going to garner the DAOC "2" remarks. People have been clamoring for either DAOC 2 or a "spiritual successor" forever it seems. While I think it will be its own game I can see shadows of familiar things from shadowbane and daoc that could appear in CU thus being a spiritual successor to both games. I mean if the frontier, for lack of a better word, is a huge world that players can build keeps/housing that harvest minerals that can be seiged which is not unlike shadowbane. It happens with 3 factions and no looting so its not FFA like shadowbane but takes that cue from daoc.

And yeah I remember CN in Shadowbane. The thing to remember is they only hit in force when the game went free to play. When there was a subscription there hardly any asian guilds let alone a mass zerg guild outnumbering the entire rest of the playerbase combined. As someone who was in that game from early beta, it was sad to see the game was dead and buried basically by the time it went free to play and they invaded.