Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

RUMOR: Aion 2 and Lineage 3 in the works using Unreal Engine 4

RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member

Massively continued the rumor mill about what two MMORPG's NCSoft might be making using the Unreal Engine 4.  (This is in addition to the ARPG Lineage Eternal). NC has recently stated that they are wanting to use their existing IP's more frequently in future games.

I would personally love to see both of these games happen.

Massively Article

THISISGAME source article

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIPosts: 1,402Member Uncommon

I find this to be UNREAL.

See what I did there?!?! 

• ZooceZooce B, FLPosts: 586Member

Wait, I thought L3 was already partially developed then shelved and stolen by departed NCsoft employees to become TERA.

*edit - found the lawsuit link

• AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member

Lineage 3 I can see being a good idea. 2 was pretty damn fun for a few months.

If they make Aion 2 god help us all, I don't think the world can take suck of that magnitude :p

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• WightyWighty Westbury, NYPosts: 664Member Uncommon

WOOOOOOOT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

All aboard the Hype train... lets start talking about more MMO's that won't see the light of day for 2-3 years...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,453Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zooce
    Wait, I thought L3 was already partially developed then shelved and stolen by departed NCsoft employees to become TERA.

It is unclear what was taken by the Tera Devs. from looking at some articles it was actually "technology" and not necessarily the game itself.

NCsoft employees who left the company to found TERA maker Bluehole Studio "made off with copious amounts of confidential and proprietary NCsoft information, computer software, hardware and artwork relating to Lineage 3"

NC then put together a new team for Lineage 3 and had at the time indicatred they would use their own in house engine.

of course things could have changed since then.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 new york, ILPosts: 386Member

Heres the thing about what you posted, and what a lot of Lineage fans do.  They use the fract that there was a lawsuit as proof the game was completely stolen.  They ignore the fact that twice, both in Korea and the US the lawsuit was lost.  Bluehole on both accounts was found to have not stolen code.

Yet you people continually state Tera is a stolen L3.

Thats not to say that ex NCsoft coders left and made a game similair mehcanically to what L3 may have been...but if thats the case...L3 wouldnt have done too well.

It seems to me that NCsoft got defensive, made a guess that if their old programmers were making a new game that it was going to be stolen code, hoped for the best, and launched a couple lawsuits.

Now lets assume for a moment that they did steal code, but NC soft was unable to prove that they jacked all of L3 and released it as Tera.  I would see it as more of a blessing to have your stolen game prove to do not so well, givng you the oppertunity to make an L3 worthy of the IP

IMO, Ncsoft has far too many games.  Why do they need Aion/L3/B&S when they could make just one really good asian grinder with a high pvp influence?  Seems goofy to make several competing mmorpgs in house.  Even if you stagger releases. 

• SukiyakiSukiyaki GreenwichPosts: 1,398Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Heres the thing about what you posted, and what a lot of Lineage fans do.  They use the fract that there was a lawsuit as proof the game was completely stolen.  They ignore the fact that twice, both in Korea and the US the lawsuit was lost.  Bluehole on both accounts was found to have not stolen code.

Yet you people continually state Tera is a stolen L3.

Thats not to say that ex NCsoft coders left and made a game similair mehcanically to what L3 may have been...but if thats the case...L3 wouldnt have done too well.

It seems to me that NCsoft got defensive, made a guess that if their old programmers were making a new game that it was going to be stolen code, hoped for the best, and launched a couple lawsuits.

Now lets assume for a moment that they did steal code, but NC soft was unable to prove that they jacked all of L3 and released it as Tera.  I would see it as more of a blessing to have your stolen game prove to do not so well, givng you the oppertunity to make an L3 worthy of the IP

IMO, Ncsoft has far too many games.  Why do they need Aion/L3/B&S when they could make just one really good asian grinder with a high pvp influence?  Seems goofy to make several competing mmorpgs in house.  Even if you stagger releases. 

Dude, the developers where found guilty and the lawsuit for stealing the code was won by NCSoft.  Two TERA developer went to jail and two other where fined thousand of dollars.

Welcome back to planet earth.

NCSoft did just "not win" the other lawsuits for damages against Blue Hole as a company in the second round. They won them in the first. Of course BlueHole claimed that Tera totally is not a copycat project. NCSoft simply could not collect enough convincing proof that BlueHole was involved into the whole mess. The artworks and assets of L3 presented in court, could not hold up, even when it was obvious TERA is to L3 what WoW is to Warhammer. The reason is because L3 was canceled and artworks could have been produced anytime. The verdict was innocence, due to lack of proof against the defendant party. BlueHole was never proven innocent or found to have not stolen the code. The allegations against the company, as obvious as guilty BlueHole was, could simply not be reliably connected to the company and its products.

Well back to topic. I think if they use an older title then Unreal Engine 4 will be used for a L3 project.  For Aion they'd most likely have gone for CryEngine3 with the +5 year long CryEngine experience of the Aion developer staff. Unless the Unreal Engine 3 in Blade and Soul completely convinced them to even ditch the CryEngine for an Aion2 project.

• EtherignisEtherignis philadelphia, PAPosts: 246Member
    Aion2 should use CE2 an Aion3 CE3
  • AdamantineAdamantine NowherePosts: 3,514Member

Last time I checked, L2 no longer really exists. They downgraded it to be a kind of weaker Aion clone, with only 8 classes to chose from in the end, etc.

I liked what L2 was in the beginning. Couple races, race depended versions of classes, beautiful manga graphics, overenchanting, mass pvp events aka castle sieges. Theres a lot of potential in these concepts.

Unforatunately, over time, the development went into all the wrong directions. Layer over layer of complexity. Instead of making the game deeper, they made it broader. You could have 3 classes and they introduced grade after grade until it was absurd.

So I would be curious where a L3 would go. But very likely I wont like it.

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,734Member Uncommon
    Aion and Lineage 2 were about as boring as you can get when it comes to MMOs, at least the leveling experience was......I wouldn't even play either of them for free thats how bad they were.
  • ScotScot UKPosts: 5,757Member Uncommon
    Have to agree, both L2 and Aion were nice graphics, but after a while...yawn.
  • RecoreRecore Posts: 5,092Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Adamantine

Last time I checked, L2 no longer really exists. They downgraded it to be a kind of weaker Aion clone, with only 8 classes to chose from in the end, etc.

I liked what L2 was in the beginning. Couple races, race depended versions of classes, beautiful manga graphics, overenchanting, mass pvp events aka castle sieges. Theres a lot of potential in these concepts.

Unforatunately, over time, the development went into all the wrong directions. Layer over layer of complexity. Instead of making the game deeper, they made it broader. You could have 3 classes and they introduced grade after grade until it was absurd.

So I would be curious where a L3 would go. But very likely I wont like it.

Lineage 2 is nonthing like Aion and yes I have a level 95 Tyrr Warrior on Chronos server so I know what I am talking about. In Aion you go around doing quest and in Lineage 2 you do more of the traditional grinding. I can take a Aion toon from 1 to max level before I can take my Lineage 2 toon from 95-96. They did merge the classes to 8 but thats was over a year ago. The most recent update which is Goddess Of Destruction Chapter 3: Lindvior has divided the classes back into 34 different classes all with unique skills.

Raptr Gamercard
  • PrenhoPrenho AracajuPosts: 298Member

If there is a L3, we'll only see it going out, at least, 5 years after Lineage Eternal release(considering it will be released in 2014-2015, you can suppose a L3 in 2019-2020).

Because NC won't release 2 games of a same franchise within a short period of time. Lineage Eternal is not an ARPG(like Diablo) as many think, but LE is an MMORPG sequel to Lineage 1.

• EtherignisEtherignis philadelphia, PAPosts: 246Member
    I cant wait until blade n soul comeout.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon

Haven't we learned already from the past that the games that chuck out the massive graphic power in this genre usually do it at the cost of gameplay?

case and point Aion. Look at its sluggish gameplay. You really believe that was intentional? 

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe EnglandPosts: 88Member
    Aion 2 Yes please :)

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"