Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million subscribers

1234568»

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Los Angeles, CAPosts: 2,555Member
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by dimnikar
    Hilarous how people start with conspiracy theories about fake numbers with the sub definition disclaimer right there in the first post.

I am simply FORCED to conclude the vast majority of you here are incapable of comprehending text.

It's not even legalese, for Pete's sake.

Oh, most people dont think Blizzard is lying they just think that Asian subscribers shouldnt count because "Asian" automatically means Chinese and Chinese players pay "pennies on the hour".

They then have a "well thought out and researched" reason as to why Chinese subscribers comprise "80% to 90%" of total WoW subscribers.

And if you point out something like "wait, then how can WoW make $1 billion a year in revenue if 90% of the player base subscribes for pennies?" well theres a perfectly "logical" answer for that too. Its because Blizzard "steals" from its players by charging for services like server transfers and race changes or selling mounts.

Because as we all know selling mounts or pets once a year that generates a couple million in cash adds up to a billion every year.

For some reason people on these boards dismiss Asian people and they don't consider them to be "players" so if WoW has 5m Chinese players then that, in their eyes, equates to nothing. But I have not seen ONE post on these boards who can explain or point to any evidence how Chinese players pay for WoW and we also don't have any figures for how much they spend. For some reason the "racist" posters on these boards assume Chinese players pay 10 cents per month lol.

Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

And over 11 million are dissapointed and vow to never buy a Blizzard product again. 

Before ranting at me, I jest.

Want to bet millions will buy Heart of the Swarm, and the D3 expansion?

I am one of those millions.

One simply can't argue against quality games.

Sales do not necessarily mean quality.

McDonnalds sells more food than Ferran Adria.

Vin Diesel sells more movies than Kim Ki Duk

Justin Bieber sells more CDs than Dream Theater.

Rowling sells more books than Goethe.

I guess you get the idea.

And yet, sales also does not mean it's NOT high quality.

McDonalds may be a low cost leader

Vin Diesel and Justin Beiber movies/ "music" are aimed at a certain target audience

Rowling are aimed at Young Adults that adults also enjoy.

With the exception of McDonalds, none of those things mean poor quality. It just means different people have different tastes or are not so full of themselves that they allow themselves to enjoy more than one type of thing.

And Blizzard games are aimed at certain type of players, which was exactly my point.

I your point is that the target audience are: People who like to play MMO's, have fun and are willing to pay a subscription, then I agree with you.

If your point is the target audience is: Stupid, mindless, riff-raff that wouldn't know a quality product if it hit them in the face, then I don't agree with you.

Unfortunately, when I look at the top selling food, movies, books, music and games, I do think that the vast majority of people won't know a quality product even if you rubbed it against their face. Call me elitist if you will. To be honest, looking at our society in general, I can't help thinking that way.

I got nothing against those who enjoy poor food, music, books, movies and games, it's their choice and they are free to enjoy whatever they prefer, but they won't convince me that what they like is quality.

And I am aware that it's just a matter of taste. Going back to my analogies, I can understand those who say that Ferran Adria's food is pretentious, Kim Ki Duk's movies slow, Dream Theater's music too complex and Goethe's books boring. I can also understand those who play WoW.

Sumarizing, my point is that sales and quality are different things, and that Blizzard games selling millions does not necessarily mean that such games are any good.

The problem is that "quality" is very subjective. One person's opinion is not worth more than another. So if you don't like WoW but another person likes WoW, who is right? Just because you don't like some of the top selling products that doesn't make them bad. I don't see why you think your opinion is any more valid than someone else's?

I did say I am aware it's just a matter of taste, didn't I. And I never said that my opinion is more valid that anybody else's. It's just that that sales are not a valid argument when discussing quality. Simple as. WoW players are always using sales as an argument to support their opinion about their game beeing good. Well, sorry but I won't consider that a valid argument. Or, as we say in my country, "millions of flies can't be wrong: eat shit and fly".

I've considered WoW to be in the same class and quality of Honey Boo Boo, Justin Bieber, The Kardashians, and American Idol millions may play and watch them but doesn't account for their questionable taste. Whether people want to admit it or not despite the defensiveness people go at great lengths to defend this stuff due to " Your taste and my taste" there is such a thing as just having terrbile taste in things you like.

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million subscribers, Blizzard is building the Death Star - join us and embrace the darkness.

So... maybe a third of WoW subscribers bought MoP? Something doesn't seem right here.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,611Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by supertouchme
    most of wow's playerbase has always been east asian. is this news?

I see this all the time and it confuses me. Are there west asians? There must be some if we have "east asians" there must be some "west asians" and maybe even "middle asians." Who are those people? Are europeans the west asians? image

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Iselin

I see this all the time and it confuses me. Are there west asians? There must be some if we have "east asians" there must be some "west asians" and maybe even "middle asians." Who are those people? Are europeans the west asians? image

Well east and west are realtive terms and depend where the observer is.

And one could say the west of the Eurasia continent is Europe. Europe and Asia are historical and cultural constructs,

There is also a midlle east.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Well east and west are realtive terms and depend where the observer is.

And one could say the west of the Eurasia continent is Europe. Europe and Asia are historical and cultural constructs,

There is also a midlle east.

But the middle east is still in the east...apparently. The POV is obviously European. To them, all asians are east (here in NA we could go either way, but I live on the west coast: going west is shorter so they're all westerners to me.) So why "east asian"? Isn't that redundant? Or do they do it to differentiate them from the NA first nations--whom they idiotically mistook for indians. Are they the real "west asians"?

Anyway, in the middle east they're too busy running for their lives to play MMOs. The europeans (hey, I just had a thought... we can call Europe "middle earth" couldn't we? That makes north america the elven homeland... cool or what?!)) I suppose, all have good taste and don't waste their time playing WOW... they play Darkfall instead... so that leaves the "east asians" and us as the great unwashed WOW player base... am I close?

Sorry just being silly... I guess the usual dismissive "that's just a bunch of east asians playing" anti-wowite fanboy rhetoric just inspired me image

• IndolIndol O''Fallon, MOPosts: 189Member
    what, exactly, is the point of this thread?
    Originally posted by Indol

It's just a convenient place to come out of the closet and declare your MMO preference...just like all the other threads here.

• IndolIndol O''Fallon, MOPosts: 189Member
    alright, well..... ULTIMA ONLINE IS WHAT'S BEST IN LIFE! image
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

Asian Americans? There are plenty of those. I am one.

• supertouchmesupertouchme corpus christi, TXPosts: 68Member

you can't be that dense.

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Indol

It is to show the bandwagon fallacy is alive and well.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• NC-JohnNC-John burlington, WIPosts: 113Member
    Gratz to them. Thats a pretty amazing feat.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• Four0SixFour0Six Missoula, MTPosts: 1,181Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

WOW subscription numbers give a misrepresentation of how many people are truly currently playing due to the way Asian countries track their accounts. I figure about a 3rd of that number might be more accurate for actual  current people logging in to play.

As far as future investment, by investors, in MMO development goes, only the numbers of folks that PAY matters, not folsk that PLAY.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

WOW subscription numbers give a misrepresentation of how many people are truly currently playing due to the way Asian countries track their accounts. I figure about a 3rd of that number might be more accurate for actual  current people logging in to play.

As far as future investment, by investors, in MMO development goes, only the numbers of folks that PAY matters, not folsk that PLAY.

Nah .. it is the total sum of profits that matters. That is why F2P works. Few whales but each pays a lot.

• PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member

According to most on these forums. The 9.6 million playerbase is broken dowwn as follows:

N/A - 150 players

EU - 200 plaers

China - 9,599,650 who only play for 1 hour each at 8 cents an hour

• Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 956Member

ignore this post

*waves hand*

it dose not exist it never did i did not post a reply thinking the last page was the OP no i would never do that

. . . . ..  honest.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

1234568»