Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million subscribers

1234568»

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million subscribers, Blizzard is building the Death Star - join us and embrace the darkness.

So... maybe a third of WoW subscribers bought MoP? Something doesn't seem right here.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by supertouchme
    most of wow's playerbase has always been east asian. is this news?

I see this all the time and it confuses me. Are there west asians? There must be some if we have "east asians" there must be some "west asians" and maybe even "middle asians." Who are those people? Are europeans the west asians? image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Iselin

I see this all the time and it confuses me. Are there west asians? There must be some if we have "east asians" there must be some "west asians" and maybe even "middle asians." Who are those people? Are europeans the west asians? image

Well east and west are realtive terms and depend where the observer is.

And one could say the west of the Eurasia continent is Europe. Europe and Asia are historical and cultural constructs,

There is also a midlle east.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Well east and west are realtive terms and depend where the observer is.

And one could say the west of the Eurasia continent is Europe. Europe and Asia are historical and cultural constructs,

There is also a midlle east.

But the middle east is still in the east...apparently. The POV is obviously European. To them, all asians are east (here in NA we could go either way, but I live on the west coast: going west is shorter so they're all westerners to me.) So why "east asian"? Isn't that redundant? Or do they do it to differentiate them from the NA first nations--whom they idiotically mistook for indians. Are they the real "west asians"?

Anyway, in the middle east they're too busy running for their lives to play MMOs. The europeans (hey, I just had a thought... we can call Europe "middle earth" couldn't we? That makes north america the elven homeland... cool or what?!)) I suppose, all have good taste and don't waste their time playing WOW... they play Darkfall instead... so that leaves the "east asians" and us as the great unwashed WOW player base... am I close?

Sorry just being silly... I guess the usual dismissive "that's just a bunch of east asians playing" anti-wowite fanboy rhetoric just inspired me image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189
    what, exactly, is the point of this thread?
    Originally posted by Indol

It's just a convenient place to come out of the closet and declare your MMO preference...just like all the other threads here.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189
    alright, well..... ULTIMA ONLINE IS WHAT'S BEST IN LIFE! image
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Asian Americans? There are plenty of those. I am one.

• supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68

you can't be that dense.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Indol

It is to show the bandwagon fallacy is alive and well.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Gratz to them. Thats a pretty amazing feat.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

WOW subscription numbers give a misrepresentation of how many people are truly currently playing due to the way Asian countries track their accounts. I figure about a 3rd of that number might be more accurate for actual  current people logging in to play.

As far as future investment, by investors, in MMO development goes, only the numbers of folks that PAY matters, not folsk that PLAY.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

WOW subscription numbers give a misrepresentation of how many people are truly currently playing due to the way Asian countries track their accounts. I figure about a 3rd of that number might be more accurate for actual  current people logging in to play.

As far as future investment, by investors, in MMO development goes, only the numbers of folks that PAY matters, not folsk that PLAY.

Nah .. it is the total sum of profits that matters. That is why F2P works. Few whales but each pays a lot.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

According to most on these forums. The 9.6 million playerbase is broken dowwn as follows:

N/A - 150 players

EU - 200 plaers

China - 9,599,650 who only play for 1 hour each at 8 cents an hour

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

ignore this post

*waves hand*

it dose not exist it never did i did not post a reply thinking the last page was the OP no i would never do that

. . . . ..  honest.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.