Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you want a /stick command that works on enemies?

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

It's becoming sickeningly obvious from this thread who has and who has not played Dark Age of Camelot. 

Seriously? Go back to Halo? wtf. 

And calling /stick macroing? Uhhh...

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85
    anyone who didnt play daoc will vote no its pretty simple u should do this poll based on yes and no and also have Yes-played daoc or No-played daoc that way we can see if its people who dont understand because there not use to ability chains and positionals and how tough they could truly be in active combat.
  • JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Jimmac

Not disagreeing with your opinion because you're entitled to them but if the game was a 2 faction MMO it would of been a disaster.  The combat was in my opinion the worst part of the game to me it was always the community and the constant flow of kicking so much ass being on the winning side (Albion) and watching the other 2 factions try to double team us ever single day.  Take that away and you're left with a fairly standard and bland MMO.

Yeah, I hear where you're coming from. The game wasn't perfect. I didn't see any reason whatsoever for stealther classes, and I wasn't a huge fan of the pve for example. I agree that 2 realms needing to come together was probably crucial to the fun usually. Minus the 3 realms and the game very well could have been garbage, despite otherwise having great PVP mechanics.

My central point is that those mechanics were a necessary part of making the PVP awesome. Was it the only thing? No. For many people like yourself, I'm sure it wasn't. Just saying it was a very critical part.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

It's becoming sickeningly obvious from this thread who has and who has not played Dark Age of Camelot. 

Seriously? Go back to Halo? wtf. 

And calling /stick macroing? Uhhh...

No one wants a bunny hop halo fest, it's been mentioned in nearly every post disagreeing with /stick, so your Halo comment is silly and off base. That can be kept from happening by having enurance taken from jumping or many other ways.

/stick Is for people who cant use both hands at the same time or do not want to expend the effort to actually play their character. Games have enough automation now, and this was wanna of my biggest gripes with DAoC for years because even with situational and positional styles, a lot of players had no idea how to use them and just used the /stick assist train because they have to idea how to pick targets or which skill chains to use and when to use them.

Saying someone obviously didn't play DAoC is presumptuous and flat out wrong, a lot of us greatly enjoyed DAoC and just want the small problems it did have fixed.

Then again what do I know, I only had 6 50s and 3 above RR5 so I wasn't exactly the RvR king if you catch my drift :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

No.

DAOC needed it, because let's face it... movement and character control is not very good when compared to more recent MMO's.

• gregoryvggregoryvg Member Posts: 35

Jimmac - well said.

Edit: I agree and in my post mentioned some of the same reasons as you.  /stick and /assist actually make the game more tactical, you actually have to make more decisions and have more situational awareness.  Also it allows a smaller, dedicated force to actually damage and sometimes prevail against a larger force.

Originally posted by OgreRaper

No.

DAOC needed it, because let's face it... movement and character control is not very good when compared to more recent MMO's.

Originally posted by deathangell
    anyone who didnt play daoc will vote no its pretty simple u should do this poll based on yes and no and also have Yes-played daoc or No-played daoc that way we can see if its people who dont understand because there not use to ability chains and positionals and how tough they could truly be in active combat.

OP has asked one of those questions where it seems like the answer is obvious, which is why this is a fun topic to discuss. Anyway...

deathangell gets it. With 4 hotbars and a bunch of abilities/potions/etc and complex ability chains, it is pointless to require the melees to circle straf battle each other looking ridiculous at the same time. It's not like /stick is easy mode. /stick the wrong person, and you just wasted your time and 2 of your buddies time who were /assiting you. Your team wipes. /sticking one person then the battle situation changes now you have to switch targets. This is not easy mode.

/stick isn't about shitty movement controls. It's about opening the player up to shine. Circle dancing isn't skill. ability chains and positionals, as deathangell said, are where the talent shines through.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Except those of us that did play...and voted no.

Sorry, just because people played a game it doesnt mean they agreed with/or liked every single thing in it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by Nibs

/stick helped combat the circle strafing and bunny hopping. The fact that strafing also had a slower movement rate helped as well.

[]

Yeah, even with /stick there will be strafing. But I think the real question we have to ask is what kind of strafing do we want? Because it's going to happen whether /stick is in the game or not.

DAOC had strafing and it was used for positionals. Other games that don't have stick still have players strafing, except that they are doing it for the same reason people bunny hop...to force the other player to have to dance/straf right back with them, constantly trying to keep face. Both types require skill, but the types of skill here are very different from each other.

So then the question is, do you want the skill to come from hitting your buttons or from being the better dancer?

I want skill from buttons. I don't like needing to be skillful at straf dancing. It isn't fun to me. I like to focus on positionals and ability chains, and if I don't have to worry about doing the circle dance, then that opens me up to being able to monitor where everyone else is in my group. Do I need to extend? Do they? That sort of tactical coordination happens less, I think, when the meleers are circle dancing constantly and their screens are spinning 360 all the time. It's just much easier for them to do their fancy dance moves if the middle of the battle stays stationary so they can duke it out until death, than to actually make the tactical decision to extend and retreat.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

IMO it's more like: Are you a clicker? yes/no. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    The more the game does automatically the less there is to play.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    anyone who didnt play daoc will vote no its pretty simple u should do this poll based on yes and no and also have Yes-played daoc (lol) or No-played daoc (lol)
    that way we can see if its people who dont understand because there not use to ability chains and positionals and how tough they could truly be in active combat.

Except those of us that did play...and voted no.

Sorry, just because people played a game it doesnt mean they agreed with/or liked every single thing in it.

Same here. Played from beta 8+ years and i also voted no and gave my reasons.

I guess some people like to make sweeping assumptions based on nothing but their own ignorance.

The amusing thing is he seems to think you need to /stick to land positional chains, i used the destroy players like this ad-nauseum, it was rediculously easy to kill the /stick monkeys unless they resorted to runthrough. Good players never used /stick for anything other than following their main CC while moving in a group...even then the top groups did not run on stick to avoid the aoe CC :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• EolexEolex Member UncommonPosts: 20

Look, if CU is going to have the same sort of combat mechanics, it is going to need a stick/face option. Plain and simple. Unless they revamp the mechanics to give attekers more time for follow up attacks, a zig zag motion is enough lapsed time to mess up a combat chain, making chains uneffective. in DAOC, the stick was there to be close enough to a target to do follow up attacks, if for whatever reason your attack chain was interupted, you start back from the first move in the chain.

Please, if you have not played DAoC, your no /stick is invalid. When zerg meets zerg and there is an assist train of melee slamming into another jumble of melee, you assist the target, strafe to the deiserd position, and start your chain. If people were zig zagging, spinning, jumping with or without endurence restraints, this would make any combat chain of 3+ moves worthless. Might as well play one of the many other MMO's that already has boring PVP with out combat chains/positionals. Position and Facing were CRITICAl in DAOC, You couldnt guard arrows if getting shot from behind, You could not evade attacks from the side. Keep in mind both those things above would allow you to retaliate with a combat chain.

Face/stick are stamples for the mechanics in DAoC, if you never played you don't know, if you did and you never used them, you were doing it wrong. If CU follows DAoC combat train of thought then face/stick need to be in the game. If it goes action orinated or hotkey spamming like the masses of other games already on the market, then count me out. I can already play a bunch of failed pvp mechanic games.

TLDR: Don't be lazy, read the post.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by fanglo

I voted yes. Current MMO's without /stick favor bunnyhopping mechanics which is way to twitchy for me. Free RPs as well as Lagged Again, 2 of the top 8man guilds used /stick and they did amazing with it. Like another poster said, stick allows you to focus on situational awareness better. Now obviously the people who just /stick and stay stuck for the majority of the fight are doing it wrong. You hit your assist button, stick to figure out exactly where the target is and then break /stick to get off your positionals, just like Free RPs and Lagged again did it.

Ummm have you played DAoC?

The top guilds did *NOT* do that.  They just spammed rear positionals in the /stick train or their normal abilities.   Remember Left Axe?

The people who want stick just can't pvp... every other arguement is just trying to hide that fact.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by boxsnd

IMO it's more like: Are you a clicker? yes/no. 

No - I don't think that is the right way to think about it.

If you can't play well, suing /stick isn't going to help one iota.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

As a caster for a majority of my DAoC gaming life, I never really needed /stick except when following a MA, and it worked to my class advantage (shaman) to have a melee train stick to me so that I could sprint them out of range, pop an instant pbaoe disease, and run back to the group while their melee were snared.

The few times I played melee, it had it's uses, but was by no means something that was overpowering. It just helped me concentrate more on my chains and improved my situational awareness.

I voted yes in this poll, because I don't think it's that big of a deal. The good players will find advantages around it.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Jostle
    Interesting. There seems to be this thought that without /stick we would necessarily have bunny-hopping. I disagree. Make jumping cost endurance. Or increase incomming damage. Or both. That'll castrate those bunnies. Stupid bunnies.Back on topic... I voted no. And I surprised myself. I say yes, a follow command for friendly players that's as snappy and quick as /stick would be great (I always felt like this command in other games didn't work as well for some reason, like I was following them from too far back and getting stuck in terrain as a result) but for enemies, it's really not necessary anymore.

I was just thinking this same thing...its pretty fucking easy to stop bunny hoping without lobotomising a game. I hope there is /stick with the ability to charge over gaps just so I can send clickers to their deaths.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by skyexile

Originally posted by Jostle
    Interesting. There seems to be this thought that without /stick we would necessarily have bunny-hopping. I disagree. Make jumping cost endurance. Or increase incomming damage. Or both. That'll castrate those bunnies. Stupid bunnies.

Back on topic... I voted no. And I surprised myself. I say yes, a follow command for friendly players that's as snappy and quick as /stick would be great (I always felt like this command in other games didn't work as well for some reason, like I was following them from too far back and getting stuck in terrain as a result) but for enemies, it's really not necessary anymore.

I was just thinking this same thing...its pretty fucking easy to stop bunny hoping without lobotomising a game. I hope there is /stick with the ability to charge over gaps just so I can send clickers to their deaths.

Ha! Yes, that would be awesome!

• CluckingChickenCluckingChicken Member Posts: 54
    I'm convinced that the majority of players that support /stick are amputees. Thats ok I'm totally down with that. Why are people assuming this is going to play like DAoC? They've been very clear that this is not DAoC2, so I imagine the first thing they would deviate from are the ancient movement mechanics. Get your head out of the past.
  • shaodrinshaodrin Member UncommonPosts: 30

i can understand when some people say no to stick ... but no to /face ? wtf guys ? in a game where standing still is a must for caster there is such a high need for face ... dunno how often my targets would have died without face as cleric(healer) since u needed like 1 sec to actually stand still without /Face ... same goes for caster when you had to run watch your back for that tank /face him and root him ... without face this whole action would have needed 1+ secs more wich are essential when your assist target had to die/the rupt was needed or what ever and when a single swing of his weapon would rupt your whole cast  ... /face was your only option to actually stand still the moment you want to stand still and even if camelot unchain has a deceleration next to 0 secs ... it will never have 0 sec from 100 to 0 since that will not "feel" right with normal movement ... so you will allways lose time as soon as you start moving and every caster will have a disadvantage without /face (assuming melee swings are doable while moving)

+ you need this to find your targets running through a keep or even the landscape and getting hit by something without the chance to instantly know where the shot came from (with los this realy is sometimes hard on a large map) just lets you die without the chance to do anything ... when the enemy caster needs like 4-5 casts (like 4-5 secs till your death) and your only chance to survive this is to rupt him by casting a cast wich needs like 3secs(using qc because of rupt so u were able to cast through rupt) there is no time to look in a 360 degree radius sorround you

well i understand that some people say no to stick but as a skilled player you never used stick to realy stick your target lol ... as a warri i most of the times used stick to find the direction towards the assist target or my bg/guard target(knowing where 15 people are at the same time isnt allways that easy) but not to actually stick them since this made me more vulnerable towards poistioning styles/melee stuns ...you just simply had less controll above your char maybe some low skilled people used this to run/stick with your 4 people melee assist after a single caster but hey ... as a def tank this made my whole job a cake since i had all the time in the world to backsnare em one after another ... after all you used this comand to decrease your reaction time and to do your job as fast as possible but not to realy stick and afk your target .. stick never made a skilled player uber it gave bad people a chance to partisipate without feeling totaly useless

• vonbose0vonbose0 Member UncommonPosts: 23

I played daoc for years and i guess I could go either way on this. We didn't have /stick in warhamer and it seemed fine. Sure there were lots of weirdos like running and jumping in circles, (im assuming WoW pvp?) but it was simple enough to just swivel to face them. To me /stick is no worse than ranged spells like a fireball following a moving target, or heals not requiring line of site, or even pbae only affecting enemies.

Maybe we should be talking about those things as well. There was friendly fire in Shadow bane and the fights were much more tricky! 

• koocmadaaakoocmadaaa Member Posts: 9
    I personally would welcome the stick command. As Mark stated he wants it to be about team/realm strategy. I really don't want to play another game with the run through bunny hopping. I agree that takes skill but it just cheapens the experience and makes combat silly IMO. Just if stick is implemented there better be a way for some team/realmmate to get the pain train off so its not /stick /assist /rinse&repeat. 
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Depends on the overall combat system.  In a game oriented towards action combat like, say, GW2, /stick wouldn't make any sense.

In a game geared more towards strategic combat, and less about twitch, I could see its place. 

Depends on where this game is headed.

• MuckbeastMuckbeast Member UncommonPosts: 44

1) /stick is one of the main reasons DAoC PvP was the best PvP in the history of MMOs. 

2) /stick solved the problem of idiots spaz jumping like fools and being able to exploit lag, latency, client-server miscommunication, etc. Jumping around as a way to have 100% mitigation is stupid. 

3) /stick is a huge step towards making melee viable. In almost every PvP MMO, melee classes quickly become fodder and there are huge problems balancing melee and ranged classes. /stick is the key to moving towards balance.

4) /stick solved a lot of problems with lag and client-server not knowing exactly where everyone was. There is no way for client-server information to always be perfect.

5) /stick isn't cheap. /stick removes things that are cheap. See above, especially #2 and #3.

6) /stick adds strategy, because you spend more time thinking about what you are going to do and less time fighting the UI to just be in melee range.

7) /stick is better for UI design, because you are able to use more buttons and keybinds since you don't have to constantly keep 3 or 4 fingers on WAD or WASD.

I sincerely hope CU has /stick. The lack of /stick in MMOs after DAoC is a huge reason they have been dramatically inferior in so many ways.

/stick is grossly underrated as a vital feature in MMOs.

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

In DAOC, melee players needed it. It was always annoying listening to caster players cry about /stick, the one thing melee players had to fight back with in a game engine that heavily favored ranged combat. Let's not kid ourselves either, large-scale PvP in DAOC was laggy as all Hell. How else are melee players supposed to lock onto a target that's spamming jump and spinning around at 10 fps?

Course, things are different now. MMO combat back then didn't have abilities like gapclosers and knockdowns and whatnot. So hopefully PvP in CU won't even need /stick.