Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is wrong with me? (LF game)

SimsejensenSimsejensen Member UncommonPosts: 51

Im sick of this.

I SO badly want to play a MMORPG that keeps me up all night, or wake up some hours before work, just to play. I love playing these types of games, and i actually WANT to do this.

I dont know what i cant settle for that ONE game, but most of the games thats running right now, is just not my cup of tea. Its pretty damn annoying. Perhaps im doing something wrong ?

What games have i played and for how long?

The best game ive played is without a doubt World of Warcraft. It kept me busy (on/off) for around 5-6 years. No wonder i grew tired of it, and basically thats okay. I still have some thoughts if i should go back to my old account. 

SWTOR, Lotro, GW2, AoC, Tera must be the second in line.

I got max level characters in SWTOR and GW2 - but there's just something missing. GW2 is actually a pretty decent game. But im missing the (i need to do "x" dungeon/raid to get "x" item). The whole pvp zerg slaughtering in WvWvW doesnt interest me at all. The BG´s then? Nah not so much either. I actually like WoW BG's more. The graphics is nice though, so thats a big plus. Im more into these kinda graphics than WoW cartoon'ish.

Looking forward to one game only, and thats Elder Scrolls Online. I hope its going to be my next epic experience.

I keeping looking on MMORPG.com several times each day, if someone comes up with a good suggestion, or general opinions. But still i cant choose what i want. 

Why is it so hard for me to find a game where i can relax, enjoy the beatiful open landscape. Kill monsters, advance my character, craft till my arms break, do dungeons with other people, get some good looking epic gear. Why, whyyy, whyyyyyy!

Dont know what i want with this post, i just had to write something down. Im frustrated, and irritated. Sorry!

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Simsejensen
    Im sick of this. I SO badly want to play a MMORPG that keeps me up all night, or wake up some hours before work, just to play. I love playing these types of games, and i actually WANT to do this.I dont know what i cant settle for that ONE game, but most of the games thats running right now, is just not my cup of tea. Its pretty damn annoying. Perhaps im doing something wrong ?What games have i played and for how long?The best game ive played is without a doubt World of Warcraft. It kept me busy (on/off) for around 5-6 years. No wonder i grew tired of it, and basically thats okay. I still have some thoughts if i should go back to my old account. SWTOR, Lotro, GW2, AoC, Tera must be the second in line.I got max level characters in SWTOR and GW2 - but there's just something missing. GW2 is actually a pretty decent game. But im missing the (i need to do "x" dungeon/raid to get "x" item). The whole pvp zerg slaughtering in WvWvW doesnt interest me at all. The BG´s then? Nah not so much either. I actually like WoW BG's more. The graphics is nice though, so thats a big plus. Im more into these kinda graphics than WoW cartoon'ish.Looking forward to one game only, and thats Elder Scrolls Online. I hope its going to be my next epic experience.I keeping looking on MMORPG.com several times each day, if someone comes up with a good suggestion, or general opinions. But still i cant choose what i want. Why is it so hard for me to find a game where i can relax, enjoy the beatiful open landscape. Kill monsters, advance my character, craft till my arms break, do dungeons with other people, get some good looking epic gear. Why, whyyy, whyyyyyy!Dont know what i want with this post, i just had to write something down. Im frustrated, and irritated. Sorry!

Same problem here dude.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I know some people will disagree here, but download Rift and try the free to play till 20. It's a fun game, it took WoW's system and made it better with a better class system IMO. If you have already played it feel free to ignore :)

It doesn't have the cartoony feel to me that WoW does and keeps most of the same systems albeit improved in most areas.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• FullishFullish Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Same boat bro
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

If you think WoW was the best MMO then you need a game that has carrots on a stick to make up for lack of deep gameplay. WoW always focused its players on shinies to keep you busy since the game itself cannot provide it.

Try Rift.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• UndeadlyUndeadly Member Posts: 52

Totally Agree.

I think there are alot of people here with a "WOW" shaped hole in their lives. 

After playing pretty much every MMORPG you can think of there just isnt the same

impetus to play through some of them.

Tera and Path of Exile are keeping me busy for now.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    I feel exactly the same.  Don't think those games are made anymore.  
  • sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109

i'm in the same boat, i badly want to find a new home mmo.

the main thing i want is an amazing world to live in, as if it's alive/organic... one that i can explore with many options available/not being restrictive.

where you could fish and you could almost fish up something new every session, not where there was just a set list of things you know you're going to fish up.

or with real time day/night cycles, weather... calamities, real time world wide events, etc.

maybe what i'm looking for isn't possible or realistic.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

This very much depends on your interest.

if your looking for a story to keep you in i would suggest TSW, TSW has the best story on the market right now. It also uses a vast amount of Theorycrafting in order to make effective builds that will be different between solo and group play.

If your looking for PvP and Simple PvE i would suggest GW2, game is very popular and is basically the other side of the spectrum from TSW. While not as complicated as TSW, it has its own form of progression (actually Several forms of it) and is Insanly simple to learn and pick up.

If you want to cling to the WoW like controls and Setup then Rift is a good stepping stone aswell. Its a solid game that has a way to level up no matter how meny people are in your group. Its no longer a no group or Half group situation, even with 2-4 people getting in instant adventures and doing lower forms of dungeons works well. 

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• SimsejensenSimsejensen Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by sxvs

the main thing i want is an amazing world to live in, as if it's alive/organic... one that i can explore with many options available/not being restrictive.

where you could fish and you could almost fish up something new every session, not where there was just a set list of things you know you're going to fish up.

or with real time day/night cycles, weather... calamities, real time world wide events, etc.

That sounds so nice! But maybe impossible  :(

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

The thing is with MMOs, we all search for that game that started it all for us.   Its like losing your virginity or your first car, no matter who you end up with or what you end up with you will always remember that first one with some form of fondness.  (excluding any traumatic events)

Trust me I still look back at my days in UO with a great deal of fondness and I have been looking for the MMO sandbox that holds my attention as long or as deeply as that did.   I had found one that was VERY close, Star Quest Online, but the developer is an idiot and gave up on the game.    There are a few others that are interesting, like Wurm Online and Xsyon but they are lacking that "thing" that will keep me there.  

I know Roma Victor was another game that kept me around for a LONG time, and it died about 3 years ago, but it was another game developed by fools.  

So much crap, so little quality.

That sounds so nice! But maybe impossible  :(

yeah, i guess maybe my expectations are a bit unobtainable/unrealistic.

probably going to have to lower them to enjoy a current game.

it's just hard to enjoy something where you can see the patterns so obviously based on a set loot table, am i going to fish up the emperor trout or the sun fish? if you get what i mean.

it makes you feel like you're going through the motions.

throwing in random items is a cool change but it's so rare you barely experience it and then you have an idea of what random items there are because even though they're random they're also within certain patterns.

maybe that just comes with playing a game for awhile to where you can start to see these patterns vs when the game is new and you can't see them yet, don't know.

Originally posted by Hodo

The thing is with MMOs, we all search for that game that started it all for us.   Its like losing your virginity or your first car, no matter who you end up with or what you end up with you will always remember that first one with some form of fondness.  (excluding any traumatic events)

Trust me I still look back at my days in UO with a great deal of fondness and I have been looking for the MMO sandbox that holds my attention as long or as deeply as that did.   I had found one that was VERY close, Star Quest Online, but the developer is an idiot and gave up on the game.    There are a few others that are interesting, like Wurm Online and Xsyon but they are lacking that "thing" that will keep me there.  

I know Roma Victor was another game that kept me around for a LONG time, and it died about 3 years ago, but it was another game developed by fools.  

i guess that's somewhat true but for me my first mmo was final fantasy 11 and i absolutely loved my time with that, after that i moved on to warcraft and i had so much fun over the years playing that.

so.. it does seem like it's possible to continue to have fun.. tried many others but i just haven't found a third game to follow those 2.

(edit not sure how i quoted myself in an original post)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I have been experiencing the same thing since SWG shut down. In that game I used to fall aslep at the keyboard, and I have watched the sun rise many times while playing. Now I hop from game to game trying to find something to draw me in like that again.

I honestly don't see any other game doing that for me ever again.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Guess most of us are on the same ship ;-)

I can never give up hope but my cynicism in my old age says its not going to happen.  That 'era' of gaming is effectively over and the new generation are calling the shots.  Unfortunately they like lobby-based, shallow, games that they can jump in and out of.

I do believe if one developer stood up and had the balls to create a *quality* virtual world we'd all jump on it and they would be profitable.  Key word is quality.  Really think about what making a virtual world TODAY would mean as opposed to merely copying the (now antiquated) systems we had in the past.

EQNext, your a contender but Im wary...

• SimsejensenSimsejensen Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Thorkune

I have been experiencing the same thing since SWG shut down. In that game I used to fall aslep at the keyboard, and I have watched the sun rise many times while playing. Now I hop from game to game trying to find something to draw me in like that again.

I honestly don't see any other game doing that for me ever again.

Atleast that game is up and running again. My brother was a huge SWG fan, and now he is playing it again - alot. 

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    You can probably just stick with WoW. I personally play Runes of Magic, it's based pretty much off of WoW but it has a bit of Rift in the class customization. It's also F2P, has daily quests and time sensitive events. PvP is very underplayed and the instances/dungeons/raids are very linear.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105
    ArcheAge, WildStar and Black Desert Online are approaching...keep faith MMO brother!
    Originally posted by Elfahiar
    ArcheAge, WildStar and Black Desert Online are approaching...keep faith MMO brother!

archeage sounds pretty awesome, especially living off the water as a treasure hunter./explorer. that appeals to me alot.

but i just wish something would hurry up and come already haha.. tired of waiting for the next big thing.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I know the feeling.  I haven't found it either.  At the moment I'm playing SP RPG on a tablet.  Sad, but at least it's fun.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Hodo

i guess that's somewhat true but for me my first mmo was final fantasy 11 and i absolutely loved my time with that, after that i moved on to warcraft and i had so much fun over the years playing that.

so.. it does seem like it's possible to continue to have fun.. tried many others but i just haven't found a third game to follow those 2.

(edit not sure how i quoted myself in an original post)

Its a bug with the forum setup that MMORPG uses, quoting yourself.  

Its what I call the "Chasing Amy syndrome".   Where you are constantly looking for that one game that fits that feel for a perfect MMO.   Often times we attribute this to the first major MMO we play and are addicted to.   Kind of like that same feeling that drug users get after their first hit of something, how nothing after that is ever that good, and you keep trying till you get that feeling again.    Like I still remember my first taste of M&Ms 30+ years ago at a birthday party.     I have tried thousands of M&Ms and every so often I get a bag that tasted like that day.

So much crap, so little quality.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311

Honestly I'm in the same boat here as well. Just looking for that new game that will bring back that insatiable desire to play and experience a whole virtual world with friends and guildies. WoW has lost its wow-factor and I also was never a fan of the cartoony graphics in the first-place, but after this many years it really stands out and bothers me more than it ever did. 

Rift was great with graphics and like was said a few posts earlier it improved on WoW yet still kept the overall feel. Yet, still it wasn't enough. The problem was the fact that it kept the WoW feel and after 6 years of that and so many improvements in computer technology it felt stale and lacked the same evolution in the software gameplay compared to the hardware that runs it. 

SWTOR....well....I'm not even going to go there. So here we are at TESO. Thats my next hope and looks good that finally we are moving in to real-time combat and targeting. Gone are the days of WoW-like cooldowns and massive amounts of hot-bars. Not a fan of faction locked zones, but I'm still crossing fingers.

Honestly we need a persistent ever changing world environment and just sheer depth in complexity of MMOs from here on out. 

I think immersiveness is the key to really revitalizing the MMO genre. Im hoping TESO offers 1st person view as an option. Combine 1st person with an Oculus Rift, which is slated to have there first consumer model VR headset ready to ship later this year , and it could be an insane combo. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Im sick of this.

I SO badly want to play a MMORPG that keeps me up all night, or wake up some hours before work, just to play. I love playing these types of games, and i actually WANT to do this....

Why, whyyy, whyyyyyy!

Because you can't stay in college forever?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Im sick of this.

I SO badly want to play a MMORPG that keeps me up all night, or wake up some hours before work, just to play. I love playing these types of games, and i actually WANT to do this....

Why, whyyy, whyyyyyy!

Because you can't stay in college forever?

Damn, and I wanted to so badly.... but my parents said 4 years and you're done bud. (knew I had a great deal)

Sigh, working for a living ever since.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    Vanguard saga of heroes is the answer it is the only game i enjoy logging into. I find new thing all the time.
  • ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122

Most of the MMOs that has released, past 10 years now. Looks old, Not much has improved on the graphic side at all. The games are pretty much played the same aswell... no originality anymore. Sadly, Bandwagon games being released ever year. I havent been stuck to a MMO since UO,Asheron's Call,FFXI online,EVE. WAR had me for a moment. But all other games have been few weeks fun. Then uninstall.  Was convinced to buy GW2... 25$ waste... took me 3 hours from install to uninstall. Same happened last weekend, installed TERA. After a day, uninstalled.

So i'm REALLY hoping for a new MMO to suck me in and keep me there for years to come...I hope it'll be TESO, or Archeage (But i doubt AA will keep me for long)