Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game is designed for 1 thing = $

injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142

Age of Wushu is a "Shell Game" of the worst order. 

Daily limitations on leveling up crafting skills. 

Weekly limit on how many times you can run any instance. 

Extremely low drop rates on game changing PvP skills in PvE instances, that are quite possibly the most boring tedious grinds known in the history of MMORPGs. 

Decaying Mounts, Bags, Gear.  (but you can buy the mount on the cash shop, only for 5 bucks in real money) 

"VIP status" for purchasing a Beta game that has a finite time limit. 2 months for 20 bucks? Mind you if you aren't VIP you basically are going to be non-viable in game. 

So all in all, to be competitive in this game, you have to purchase VIP, a $5 mount every month, and whatever else Snail Games throws at you to entice you to gain an advantage.  Mind you the classes are so imbalanced that there's no point in playing unless you're a Scholar or Shaolin. 

[mod edit]

Only thing that this game has is the jumping skills.  Despite what people say, combat is clunky as hell.  How many times have you tried blocking to basically be perma cc'd by a Shaolin? 

If you still want to try this game, don't say you haven't been warned.

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

If that is true, then it is a basic P2W game.

BUT, based on threads, on this site, I am not sure if you are correct or not. Maybe others with actual game play experience will chime in.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

mmorpg.com should just replace their domain with hatersgonnahate.com .  It's a more accurate representation of the "community" here.

The degrading items are useful for a player driven economy.  Time limits on the items ensure that you people will keep buying said items.  The majority of them can - and are - made by players, such as the bags.  However, the horse expiration is something that I find to be absurd.

VIP is $10.  The "Deluxe" package is more.  $10 gets you offline training and access to the beta as much as you want.  I do agree that the time limit put on the beta is nothing but a money grab.  The "Deluxe" package gets you VIP for two or three months (I forget which) as well as item mall stuff, so it actually comes out to be cheaper than all of it would be if bought separately.

Basically, it's not a bad deal.  Nobody is forcing you to buy it.  The game is in beta, so if you don't want to deal with the restrictions then wait for it to release.  It's not like it's going to cost you anything, being F2P.

I haven't messed with the instances, but I'm sure that you're exaggerating those as well.

Now hurry and report me to the mods as "Trolling" because you don't like what I'm saying.

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142

I have a level 36 inner Wudang and a 31 Royal Guard... I have a lot of in-game experience. 

I forgot to mention the only things to do everyday are... 

-Spy from other schools (Basically walking around looking for an offline player to steal "Information" from, no one stops you as there's no point plus most people who actually patrol are AFk just cultivating)

-Kidnap offline players (if you aren't VIP you only make 1 liang, and can only do this once per hour) 

-Steal school scripts (extremely low drop rate if you can get passed the zerg of players standing their spamming their cc's and stuns) 

-Twilight Village (so boring and annoying at times that it might give you a cataract) 

-Green Cloud Castle (Took a friend of mine 7 hours to complete) 

-Gathering mats to sell or make items (a daily limit on how much experience you can get) 

If you decide to go kill or fight people, after about 5 kills you gain enough infamy to the point where you go to jail. Even capturing a guild territory is just a spam fest. If there's even resistance, as this system seems bugged, it's just this big zerg with people spamming aoe stuns... If they have a lot of scholars is just a faceroll. 

I'm telling you, just do yourself a favor and don't buy into the hype on this board, I too at one point saw the potential of this game, then I realized what it's true intended purpose was. 

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    This was discussed a bunch in another thread, I think it's a 50/50 split on who thinks the game is a bargain F2P game and others who think it's a P2W fest. I tend to fall on the pay2winshu side of things, but this game does offer a lot of things that other games don't have, which is really cool.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

meant to quote above. 

Originally posted by Mysk

mmorpg.com should just replace their domain with hatersgonnahate.com .  It's a more accurate representation of the "community" here.

The degrading items are useful for a player driven economy.  Time limits on the items ensure that you people will keep buying said items.  The majority of them can - and are - made by players, such as the bags.  However, the horse expiration is something that I find to be absurd.

VIP is $10.  The "Deluxe" package is more.  $10 gets you offline training and access to the beta as much as you want.  I do agree that the time limit put on the beta is nothing but a money grab.  The "Deluxe" package gets you VIP for two or three months (I forget which) as well as item mall stuff, so it actually comes out to be cheaper than all of it would be if bought separately.

Basically, it's not a bad deal.  Nobody is forcing you to buy it.  The game is in beta, so if you don't want to deal with the restrictions then wait for it to release.  It's not like it's going to cost you anything, being F2P.

I haven't messed with the instances, but I'm sure that you're exaggerating those as well.

Now hurry and report me to the mods as "Trolling" because you don't like what I'm saying.

Lol you're misinformed dude... The fact that you haven't "messed with the instances" obviously shows your lack of knowledge about this game. I'm usually the first person to play devils advocate against haters, but this game makes it so obvious that I felt compelled to warn someone to spend their hard earned dollars on such a whored out game. 

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Wait let me get this straight... A company is trying to get their customers to pay money for a product? That's surely newsworthy!

On a serious note: thanks for sharing your story here. You're basically saying you've spent a lot of time on a game you obviously hate. Congrats!

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

All games are made to make money, some are just more blatent than others, get over it and move along if your not happy.

No one is forcing you to play and pay!

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    Originally posted by Biskop

Wait let me get this straight... A company is trying to get their customers to pay money for a product? That's surely newsworthy!

On a serious note: thanks for sharing your story here. You're basically saying you've spent a lot of time on a game you obviously hate. Congrats!

If only it were that basic.  I want the game to change because in truth it has the foundation, yet the developers' driving motive will cause it to fail in the long term.

I'm not going to continue with this thread, because you guys' obviously haven't played as much as me nor have commited the effort..  If you think you're doing the community a service by playing devils advocate despite not understanding the full meta-game, you're not.  

Hopefully a miracle will happen and DFUW will be a good game, then I won't have to feel like a troll. 

I didn't read your signature but we've played about the same time. Agree to disagree then. 

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

just from reading 1st post I see You dont know what You are talking about and I didnt read next one, i have all clans on chinese server

in DPS ranking shaolin is 7th!! as for 1st big championships emei won 3rd place was beggar dunno who was 2nd

Championships are 1v1 or 2v2 - that's not what I was talking about but since you're not an english as a first language typer, I'll give you a pass. 
  • SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by injenu

If only it were that basic.  I want the game to change because in truth it has the foundation, yet the developers' driving motive will cause it to fail in the long term.

I'm not going to continue with this thread, because you guys' obviously haven't played as much as me nor have commited the effort..  If you think you're doing the community a service by playing devils advocate despite not understanding the full meta-game, you're not.  

Hopefully a miracle will happen and DFUW will be a good game, then I won't have to feel like a troll. 

I wonder if you have to pay a sub in dfuw to be competitive ?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

This might become a trend.  Today I had to pay for gas to fill up my car...........

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    People who made Wushu are ex-Chinese Gold Farmers?  Get more racist.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Even though I do not play the game I will defend its right to monetize how they fit.  It's silly for anyone to argue anothers business decision, you either accept it or move on.  It's as silly as walking into the grocery store and complaining that milk is $4.07 a gallon.  Don't like it don't buy it, simple as that.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

There is a difference between charging for a product and trying to squeeze as much as you can from your customers. The entire F2P model is based so that, some of the user base, keep paying more, More and MORE money. That is not a healthy bussiness model, that is just greed.

Subscription based is a healthy model. You pay the box price and a fixed low cost every month and for that you get everything in the game (barring future expansions).

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Even though I do not play the game I will defend its right to monetize how they fit.  It's silly for anyone to argue anothers business decision, you either accept it or move on.  It's as silly as walking into the grocery store and complaining that milk is $4.07 a gallon.  Don't like it don't buy it, simple as that.

That is assuming there are any options. With the current trend, Pay to Win model, will be the only model available and I dont want to move on from my hobby just because a bunch of greedy Suits have taken it over.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    So if you like the game subscribe and stop whining, if you  want to freeload accept the limitations of your free pass. The whining though is pathetic.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by injenu

Age of Wushu is a "Shell Game" of the worst order. 

Daily limitations on leveling up crafting skills. 

Weekly limit on how many times you can run any instance. 

Extremely low drop rates on game changing PvP skills in PvE instances, that are quite possibly the most boring tedious grinds known in the history of MMORPGs. 

Decaying Mounts, Bags, Gear.  (but you can buy the mount on the cash shop, only for 5 bucks in real money) 

"VIP status" for purchasing a Beta game that has a finite time limit. 2 months for 20 bucks? Mind you if you aren't VIP you basically are going to be non-viable in game. 

So all in all, to be competitive in this game, you have to purchase VIP, a $5 mount every month, and whatever else Snail Games throws at you to entice you to gain an advantage.  Mind you the classes are so imbalanced that there's no point in playing unless you're a Scholar or Shaolin. 

I really liked this game until I realized what it was... It's a company that probably started off as WoW chinese gold farmers and said "Why are we hacking someone elses game? Let's just make our own and put in limitations that force people to make microtransactions to win" 

Only thing that this game has is the jumping skills.  Despite what people say, combat is clunky as hell.  How many times have you tried blocking to basically be perma cc'd by a Shaolin? 

If you still want to try this game, don't say you haven't been warned.

Mounts can be bought in game(or rented really as they are time limited) and the VIP is the equivalent of a sub. Really you are just complaining about FTP being gimped in comparison to a Sub, that's virtually any freemium game out there.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    I can't believe Bcbully hasn't swooped in to dispel these allegations.   He must have the day off.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Exactly as I said. Either get your subscription if you like the game. Or play with your limitations of your free pass. Either way the whining about being it being a money grab is total bull.  I don't see the company as being greedy. I see freeloading and mooching and then complaining about being limited as pathetic. Besides who is being more greedy. The company who worked to to create the game to provide an entertainment service as a business venture to make money. Or the gamer who expects that entertainment  service for nothing and is unwilling to pay for services rendered.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by fat_taddler
    I can't believe Bcbully hasn't swooped in to dispel these allegations.   He must have the day off.

LOL this for sure , if you think he was bad in Wushu you should remember him in every single the secret world thread that released that said anything bad about it . Hes awesome though his threads are hilarious sometimes.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Cash shops don't sell milk.   They sell convience items.    Think of it as being similar to music, video, or books.   Only players get a portion of it for free, and to make our enjoyment complete we have to pay for the rest.   I don't know many people that would enjoy 1/2 of a colorless video with no sound and poor quality.     

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Yamota

That is assuming there are any options. With the current trend, Pay to Win model, will be the only model available and I dont want to move on from my hobby just because a bunch of greedy Suits have taken it over.

I think it all comes down to ones perspective of what pay to win means. In the case of AoW I just see alot of free players crying that they dont get the same advantages as sub players.