Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: NCSoft Licenses Unreal 4 Engine

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMO developer and publisher NCSoft has announced that it has officially signed a long term deal to license the Unreal 4 engine. According to press information, NCSoft plans to use the engine for "games on a massive scale", likely pointing to new MMOs or new versions of existing properties.

“Unreal Engine 4 is an extremely fascinating game engine in terms of its unprecedented efficiency and performance,” said NCSoft chief product officer James Bae.

“We plan to release our best game ever using our Unreal Engine expertise and the new state-of-the-art Unreal Engine 4 tools.”

Read more at Develop-Online.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I'm going to repeat myself as always with news about future games by NcSoft.

L3, please.

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

Seeing as how they managed to create a huge seamless world in L2 with UE2 and later 2.5 one can only hope what they will do with U4E.

L3 or at least Ethernal with U4E please :)

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

nice!- ive been playing TERA  and realised its the engine that i really  like...lol

imagine what blizzard could do with it?-be pretty EPIC!

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by orbitxo

nice!- ive been playing TERA  and realised its the engine that i really  like...lol

I dont think blizz will ever used  a3rd party gfx engine, they haven't as yet

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

why would Blizzard need it?

say what you want about WOW, that games engine is leaps and bounds above ANYTHING else out there to date

• XcomVicXcomVic Member Posts: 50
    @myrdynn..., please dont kid yourself...unless you were being sarcastic...I hope sp
  • Fusion675Fusion675 Member Posts: 1

@myrdynn

If that isn't sarcasm i need to finish building my rocket ship to GTF out of here in a much more quickly manner.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Except Tera has glaring issues with random FPS drops, and if you have done nexus, most people get around 10 fps doing that. Lineage 2 had the same issues, it runs great until you get a lot of people in one area then it runs like complete garbage. The engines aren't designed for MMORPG games, and if they are nobody has used them correctly yet. I'm saying this and Lineage 2 was my favorite MMORPG and currently Tera is the only game I'm playing.

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

Blizzard would make a heavily instanced lobby game, that they call an "MMORPG" and market as such, wherein players sit around in a capital city, never venturing outside of said capital city unless they are next in line for a BG, Arena, or instanced dungeon.   sounds like a waste of a great engine to me.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Tyvolus4

Blizzard would make a heavily instanced lobby game, that they call an "MMORPG" and market as such, wherein players sit around in a capital city, never venturing outside of said capital city unless they are next in line for a BG, Arena, or instanced dungeon.   sounds like a waste of a great engine to me.

The bias is glaring here.  World of Warcraft is one of the most seamless MMORPG's in existence.  The fact that I could travel anywhere in the world with next to zero loading screens (unless your traveling from continent to continent) shows that Blizz can make a seamless world.  I'd love to have a world where I can just ride from zone to zone without loading screens every five minutes.  The fact that you could train a dragon from the Blasted Lands all the way to Stormwind (basically 3/4 of the way across the continent) shows what Blizzard can do.

That being said, Blizzard uses their own engines.

Aion 2 and Lineage 3 would both be amazing.  I hope that's what they're building.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by QSatu

L3, please.

NCSoft was already working on a L3 title, but its not like you would expect because it's going to be like a combination of Diablo and Starcraft.

Instead of third person perpective it is an arial god's eye view perspective managing an medieval army of sorts. It was called Lineage Eternal.

But when NCSoft went to court against Tera for alleged stolen artwork and designs, the project ceased development.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

say what you want about WOW, that games engine is leaps and bounds above ANYTHING else out there to date

-ouch!!! this comment hurts my eyes reading...

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

L3, please.

I'm going to repeat myself as always with news about future games by NCSoft.

No thank you.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    City of Heros 2 please, bring me back into the fold NC.
  • KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    People talk about Blizzard as if they're Demi Gods lol, they really aren't.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

-ouch!!! this comment hurts my eyes reading...

Graphicly it might not be the best (from a technical bells and whistles standpoint), gfx might not be to some ones taste but does not mean the engine is not capable.  In terms of what it can do, number of players in a zone, CRZ, phasing, smooth combat and all the backend stuff I think it probably is the most advanced cus it's had 10 years of constant development.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Czanrei

L3, please.

NCSoft was already working on a L3 title, but its not like you would expect because it's going to be like a combination of Diablo and Starcraft.

Instead of third person perpective it is an arial god's eye view perspective managing an medieval army of sorts. It was called Lineage Eternal.

But when NCSoft went to court against Tera for alleged stolen artwork and designs, the project ceased development.

Actually that's not exactly correct.

They are making Lineage Eternal but that is an effort by NC to create a sequel to the original Lineage. The rumor is that was Lineage 3. They are still making a "Lineage 3" and have even announced that they are making their own engine for it.

Now, having said that, this was a while ago and who knows how their plans will change and unfold.

http://archeagesource.com/topic/890-rumor-ncsoft-to-suspend-lineage-3s-development/

But gamer gossip on the net keeps saying that Lineage Eternal is "Lineage 3" and according to NC interviews at the time that's not the case, it's a sequel to Lineage.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LongLivePvPLongLivePvP Member Posts: 102
    Aion 2 and L3 is what the rumors are

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

• lelycoollelycool Member UncommonPosts: 1

Blade & Soul???

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by Tyvolus4

The bias is glaring here.  World of Warcraft is one of the most seamless MMORPG's in existence.  The fact that I could travel anywhere in the world with next to zero loading screens (unless your traveling from continent to continent) shows that Blizz can make a seamless world.  I'd love to have a world where I can just ride from zone to zone without loading screens every five minutes.  The fact that you could train a dragon from the Blasted Lands all the way to Stormwind (basically 3/4 of the way across the continent) shows what Blizzard can do.

That being said, Blizzard uses their own engines.

Aion 2 and Lineage 3 would both be amazing.  I hope that's what they're building.

And after all that good work  Roxtarr , they turned around and made it into a lobby game!!

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I hope you're joking :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I hope this means Lineage 3
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Mannish

Damn straight it better be lineage 3.

but I have to say Mannish, I seriously wonder if it will be "Lineage 3" as you and I might want it and whether or not it will only use Lineage 3 lore?

I think the days of slow leveling and death penalties is over.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Mannish

Damn straight it better be lineage 3.

but I have to say Mannish, I seriously wonder if it will be "Lineage 3" as you and I might want it and whether or not it will only use Lineage 3 lore?

I think the days of slow leveling and death penalties is over.

Totally agree, I dont think I will ever play another grinder like Lineage 2 again. When ever they make Lineage 3 I hope its different from anything ever done before.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I've always liked UE for performance and stability.  I'm sure they'll do well with it.

edit: kant spel

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.